U2 were out of control last night (Bos 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fast Eddy

The Fly
Brilliant performance--took a little bit to get off the ground, but when they did it was like a moonshot!

I was in the middle of the floor not too far from the tip of the ellipse (just missed getting into the ellipse--people in front of me hit the jackpot instead--damn!). Would prefer to be closer, of course, but I'm tall enough to see well and it was actually the perfect spot to be in for the overall "show" with the stage effects.

Sound was wretched during COBL, I was a little uneasy that it was going to last, but Joe was on it and things improved pretty quickly.

It was a solid show for the first 45 minutes or so, but not spellbinding. People on the floor were really into it, just the magic wasn't happening like I've seen it happen on past tours.

But then during Bullet the Blue Sky, it was like the sun came out from behind the clouds--I thought maybe it was just me, but others felt the same thing happen. It was like the temperature suddenly when way up and we were all transported to another place. I'm not kidding, it was intense. After Bullet, with an amazing easy-does-it Edge jam toward the end, Running to Stand was like singing a hymn.

And then it was just a barrage that didn't quit. The joint was rockin' as hard as I've ever seen at any U2 show, going back to the War tour. Phenomenal.

Couple interesting observations:

Adam seemed subdued--sounded great, just hung out by Larry's drum riser most of the night.

Edge only used the catwalk once, I believe (although it was Until the End of the World, which we were all delighted to hear!). Curious about what they're thinking this tour, as they were much more mobile during Elevation. Didn't really detract from the experience, just curious.

Out of Control was a real delight--and it was great fun to see Edge stumble a little while Larry cracked up.

Anybody notice Bono during the middle of With or Without You? He grimaced and put his hand on his throat, looked pissed for a minute, monkeyed with his earpiece, then looked over at Edge in the most frustrated way and shook his head while drawing his finger across his throat. I'm thinking he shot his throat at that point, and I noticed he was pretty careful to the high notes after that, or at least to back the mike away from his mouth.

But thing is, he give it his all anyway and sang really strong through the last few songs.

Did anyone else notice that?

In any case, wow. . .this band is as tight as ever, and they had that room elevated as high as I've ever seen.

Now if I can only make the ellipse in December. . .

Anybody notice Bono during the middle of With or Without You? He grimaced and put his hand on his throat, looked pissed for a minute, monkeyed with his earpiece, then looked over at Edge in the most frustrated way and shook his head while drawing his finger across his throat. I'm thinking he shot his throat at that point, and I noticed he was pretty careful to the high notes after that, or at least to back the mike away from his mouth.
I was in the ellipse last night. I think you're mis-reading his hand movements. He took his earpieces out during the song and they then dangled down in front of his neck. The next few lines were sung horribly out of tune at which point he put them back in. I think Bono's reaching for his earpieces was what you inturpreted as pointing at his throat, but I don't think that's what he was signaling. I thought it was quite amazing how much worse his voice sounded when he took them out and couldn't hear himself as well. That was really the only time last night I heard his voice falter.

Bono was having trouble with his in-ear monitors, so he couldn't hear himself properly. The slashing motion was an indication to Larry not to extend the song. I didn't think it had anything to do with his voice, but rather keeping the song tight and focused.

The show was amazing.

This was the first non- GA show that I have been to since I went to popmart - and it was a whole different experience. My husband has a bad knee - and couldnt do the whole standing/waiting in line thing for the day.

Our seats werent nearly as bad as I thought they would be. A little high up for $95 a pop, but right next to the stage! I really, really missed being on the floor though. Aside from that - what a fantastic show, awesome setlist - I nearly went out of my mind when they played OOTS. Luckily I was in a crowd with great energy and lots of fans! Still kind of on a high from things too! Now if only December weren't so far away!

hibricc said:
Bono was having trouble with his in-ear monitors, so he couldn't hear himself properly. The slashing motion was an indication to Larry not to extend the song. I didn't think it had anything to do with his voice, but rather keeping the song tight and focused.

Interesting. It looked like he was glancing over at Edge, but I was far back enough that I may have misread it.

I did watch him go over to Adam a little bit later in the song and communicate something to him--I had the impression he was letting him know about whatever difficulties he was having.

I might be totally wrong about this, but when Bono gave that discouraged look to Edge and shook his head, it was right before Edge started playing the riff where "And you give yourself away" starts, and I thought it sounded a little off, almost like Edge was a little thrown by Bono's troubles. I had a sinking feeling for a second that they were going to totally lose it at that point and deflate all the energy they'd built up in the crowd, but to their credit they really held it together.

Did you see Bono smile and pump his fist a little to Adam after "All Because of You," as if to say, "right on, pal, we nailed that one!" There were a lot of little moments like that I thought onstage.

overall, I thought the band was much more in tune (emotionally) with each other and with the crowd. It's that "we're all in this together" vibe that makes it funny when Edge blows his part, rather than the wheels coming off.

So did you guys sense that liftoff happening during Bullet?

Not that the crowd wasn't going bonkers before--it just seems like the magic really started to rain down.

Dear God I just hope they play Out of Control at the Atlanta show. I watch the Slane version every day...just the way the energy EXPLODES when he gets through with his "thanking my father for 500 pounds" speach and the music rises back up...god it's awesome.

Also this Boston show just has me hyped back up again for this tour...which seemed a bit lackluster until now. I can't wait.

Forgot to mention how much I loved Bono's intro to Miracle Drug for scientists and nurses... I had just come from work after a really, really shitty shift. It's nice to be appreciated! :D

She ls Raging said:
Forgot to mention how much I loved Bono's intro to Miracle Drug for scientists and nurses... I had just come from work after a really, really shitty shift. It's nice to be appreciated! :D

Yeah, it's been not such a great past couple of weeks in the science world for me...

But it is SO amazing to hear someone like Bono say how much they admire what YOU do, instead of just the other way around. :bow:

Fast Eddy said:
So did you guys sense that liftoff happening during Bullet?

Not that the crowd wasn't going bonkers before--it just seems like the magic really started to rain down.

I felt that too, I was into it the first 45 minutes like you said but from Bullet on I was going crazy, having the time of my life. That is when a great show became an amazing experience.

hibricc said:
overall, I thought the band was much more in tune (emotionally) with each other and with the crowd. It's that "we're all in this together" vibe that makes it funny when Edge blows his part, rather than the wheels coming off.

Deffffintely they were more in tune emotionally with each other and the crowd, and it made for an awesome show. Nice observation.

Back
Top Bottom