the fly: he really returned tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
well guys, the brisbane show is over, and it was sure an amazing show!

during zoo station, i came up with an idea to give bono my fly goggles, so i pulled them from my pocket.

as bono was walking back from the B stage at the end of Zoo station, i yelled out to him, and he looked in my direction.

i reached out with every bit of strength i could but he didnt move to take them. i didnt think my plan was going to work. but the fact that he didnt move away was a really good sign

so i decided to stop leaning, and instead i just reached out casually with the fly goggles in one hand and my other hand giving a "these are for you" kind of gesture.

HE TOOK THEM!!!!!! bam, just like that, he stuck them on top of his other glasses and walked towards the little camera that was projecting close up images of his face onto the screen.

instead of comming back to me with the goggles, bono returned to the stage and to my delight, left them on throughout the whole of the song that those goggles spawned: the fly

right before the final avalanch at the end of the song, he took them off and put them on his vox amp, and his guitar tech took them away not long after.

i now need to get myself a new pair of fly goggles, but im pleased that the fly once more graced an australian stage (infact, im pleased he reappeared all together!)

best show i have ever seen, fuck yeah cant wait for adelaide :wink:

HA!! That is wicked.. I'm planning to give Bono my demo cd!! Probably a bit selfish on my behalf :wink:

So what your best moment other that that?? Did Bono go on many rants?? Any spine-chilling moments?? How was his voice??

well it has just been the most surreal week! meeting them at their gold coast hotel on friday, seeing them rehearse last night and being on the rail right in the outside corner of the adams side B-stage.

bono slid out at the very begining of a hole in the side of the stage, and walked down past the rail and entered the stage through there, walked up the stairs right infront of me

uteotw was fanfuckingtastic

bono did rant afew times, but i didnt mind at all for once lol

i nearly burst into tears during the first two shows because i was so overwelmed

bono's voice is the best it has been since zoo tv, for sure! he is on top form and sounded absoloutly amazing!

adam came down quite afew times, and larry ofcourse came down for love and peace. both the boys were real friendly during the show and adam was even using the headstock of his bass to hi-five members of the crowd,

and ofcourse bono wearing my fly goggles for the fly was just the icing on the cake and made the night even more amazing and special

it was my birthday and it was my best birthday ever!

A few questions:
* The "Put Mankind Back on Earth" speech - was there anything like that? Ie, context is different here in Oz.

* How do the twin catwalks work instead of the bomb/heart of the arena shows? Are they limiting.

* Too many more questions....

Lalat, have you seen any outdoor shows, cause they did two legs of them already?

They aren't limiting, they use them fully, Edge usually on one with Bono on the other (see UTEOTW, Zoo Station).

Look up the Sao Paulo, Brazil show on YouTube to see.

phillyfan26 said:
Lalat, have you seen any outdoor shows, cause they did two legs of them already?

They aren't limiting, they use them fully, Edge usually on one with Bono on the other (see UTEOTW, Zoo Station).

Look up the Sao Paulo, Brazil show on YouTube to see.

No - i haven't seen them this time around except for photos. I just liked Bono doing circular laps - the idea of back and forth didn't seem so appealing (Popmart). But great to hear they work well.

I'll look them up. thanks

Yeah Fly went off!.

I noticed Zoo Station sounded a bit harder/distorted more and it carried over to the fly.

nice work with the glasses too, yes we love you for that!!

I wonder if yer'man is gonna put 'em on e-bay."..hey,Edge,do us a favour,you know this interweb thing right?".......

Great story,by the way.Glad you had a great time...:up:

Awww that's a terrible story quadcaster. I really feel for you mate :(. I'm afraid that's just the type of world we live in. :mad:
There is always one option, and it seems to be your last resort. Sue Bono. It is implied that he would give the glasses back after he was done with them, after all, why would he need ANOTHER pair. It was a form of non-verbal body language contractional agreement. You spent x hundered dollars on those and ur not going to let some rich snotty irish punk steal them like that are you? Sue his ass and teach him and everyone like him a lesson! :madspit:

Yeh I've been known to totally misconstrue peoples posts.

That is awesome. What a way to start off the tour. Now your goal has to be to get a pair from him during your remaining shows.

You need to make a sign: "Bono, Where are the fly shades I lent you in Brisbane?"

ramblin rose said:
That is awesome. What a way to start off the tour. Now your goal has to be to get a pair from him during your remaining shows.

You need to make a sign: "Bono, Where are the fly shades I lent you in Brisbane?"

infact, that is an excellent idea!

my hope is that bono will keep them and perhaps rediscover that they really are a key to great things :wink:

and the thing is that they arent real fly goggles either, so they werent them fan club ones which means bono could actually see out of them :D

but they look exactly the same as the real thing which was why i bought them, and they fold down aswell, so they must be even better then the real thing :wink:

and with that, i'm going to go off to bed to dream of my next U2 concert, which just so happens to be next week lol

goodnight everyone! will be back in the morning :wink:

Wow what a great story. How much did you pay for the glasses? I agree - take a sign to your next concert. Wouldn't it be great if he wore them again the next time you go?

Damnit I tried to do this back in 2001 in Atlanta on the Elevation tour. Only he didn't take my Fly Shades.

But they were the official ones and my last pair, so I'm kinda glad he didn't if he wasn't gonna give them back!

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2006-11--23.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2006-11--24.jpg

Great story quadcaster.......and happy birthday for yesterday! You definately got a brilliant show. I saw Bono take your glasses too, so if you need a witness.....ha ha ha!!

Anyway, I've seen U2 countless times and I think the Brisbane show last night ranks up there as one of the best I've seen them play. A couple of minor hiccups such as Edge's guitar dropping out during one song and the mistake at the start of Walk On & SBS, but all in all it was a flawless performance.

Bono was in brilliant spirits and it looked as though he didn't want to get off the stage. His voice was incredible. As for Edge, Adam and Larry, they were on fire!!

They've set the standard for the remaining dates very high and I think in all honesty, they will be hard pressed to top that performance. Absolutely worth the 8 month wait!!!

aaah I remember that like it was yesterday-oh wait it was! :wink:
That was a highlight of the concert for me seeing the Fly with my on 2 eyes. Thanks quadcaster and Happy Birthday for yesterday!!

hey Quadcaster! I was standing behind you in the queue. Remember the igloo!!!? Thrilled to hear about your shades mate, WTG.

might see you in Adelaide?

Back
Top Bottom