The Chicago III thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
No pictures tonight...I didn't bring my camera, because I didn't want to have to worry about it.

I didn't wait in the GA line today, because I was tired when I woke up. I arrived at the United Center just before 7pm.

At 8:55, I was 15 feet from the front rail in the ellipse. I have my (completely legitimate) ways, that I'll be more than thrilled to share with everybody AFTER Thursday's show. :wink: (Actually, since I learned about it on here, you all have the same potential "second chance" that I did!)

In any case, the show started with the same main set as last night, as I'm sure you all know. The guy directly in front of me looked kinda like John Lithgow, might have been him for all I know (he had a sidekick who was actually HOLDING HIS BEER for him, I dunno if he's just the lesser friend or if it was Lithgow, but it was laughably stupid either way). He was also kind of an ass, had all this empty space in front of him, but refused to either occupy it himself or permit somebody else to do the same...that is until he called over two young ladies and did some dirty dancin' with them during New Year's Day, I think it was. He left, during Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, I think. Well, a slower number at any rate, could have been Running To Stand Still. Of course, this opened up all kinds of space, and I moved up maybe five feet. Various people kept leaving after that point, and by the start of the first encore, there were only two people between me and the rail, directly in front of Bono's mic stand.

It could easily have been where I was, but there was something about the show tonight that was simply NOT THERE last night. It was Bono's birthday, and though he had another rocky start (I think he still has that cold), he was so unbelievably into it. When I saw the Edge pick up his acoustic guitar after Mysterious Ways, I knew we were in for some sort of a treat...wasn't sure what, though, until Bono called for the girl who had played guitar last night. We were treated to a full band PLUS fan version of Party Girl. Bono fetched two bottles of champagne. He gave one to Laura and popped open the other one to spray the audience with. The energy was so high that I even loved All Because Of You, which has in many ways been my least favorite song during the past two shows (besides Yahweh, of course). Original Of The Species was absolutely beautiful. Bono keeps talking about how they need figure out how to play it live, but as far as I can tell, they already have. And just as the band was about to kick into "40", Bono ran around to change the song ("for me!" he proclaimed), and met with zero resitance from the rest of the band. Like every time they've played Vertigo twice, the second go-around has been superior in sound, energy, and crowd reaction. Naysayers, back off, this was a great way to end the concert!

Best Chicago show so far on this tour, in my esteem. :drool: They now have three more chances to top it. :wink:

And by the way, Bono ALMOST got the Bullet With Butterfly Wings lyrics tonight - he sang "Despite all my rage, I am still like a rat in a cage."

Last edited:
excellent show - original of the species was amazing - saw Steve Lillywhite on the way in to the UC and sat about 8 rows from the sound board where I saw most of the Vertigo Crew and the Hewson clan - the VIP area resembles a large playpen :wink:

btw knox - how exactly did you get into the ellipse:D

I should also add that there was a chant of "Happy Birthday <clap> <clap>" that occured sometime, probably during the encores.

Yep, the soccer chant style "Happy Birthday" was a neat little touch. Cool to see Bono pop the champagne to celebrate a bit.

Great Show

Hello,

Well, it was an awesome show for me. Showed up around 10 this morning and got 178 written on the wrist.

Quick Bono story. Went over to see them arrive and when he got there he took pics/talked/signed things on both sides of the entrance then came over to a fence. I was over there, where we asked him abou tthe setlist. In true Bono fashion he explained how other bands just do a bunch of individual songs, and that in his band they try to do a bunch of songs which become one song. That they try to tell a storythroughout the whole show. When pressed, he said that they would mix the set list up on the third leg. Also quick note, Party Girl, as we have been calling her was over in that line where she talked to Bono before the show. This is probably where the Party Girl thing was put together for tonight.

Also, met another Interferencer, who wouldn't say her name - pretty funny I thought, but she shared a story about how Bono kissed her in Seattle, and she got sick afterwards.

Random note, definately got my ticket signed. Gotta start that scrapbook thing one of these days.

Anyways, back to the show.

While the setlist didn't vary a ton, it was an awesome show. I was 2 back from the rail on Adam's side. This was a great spot, as him and Bono spent a decent amount of time out there.

Oh, I saw the set-list that the camera crew was carrying around, the show was scheduled to end

All Because of You
Yahweh

But was put away with for the ending you all now know. I really thought they were going to come out again to play Yahweh and 40. This was my only disappointment of the night. But not worth even writing about.

Hmmmm, what else. Called and let Mike listen in for a bunch of songs, hope that worked.

Also met Hamish (sp?) - the DVD director, he was wandering around after KOL. Someone needs to help them write better conclusions to there songs. lol

Oh ya, one other thing. The girl standing next to me in line most of the day also met Bono earlier and made a sign with her name on it. At the end of the show when Bono jumped into the crowd, he jumped in right over her, and my new buddy I met in line Imran. Anyways, Bono read her sign saying "Hello Pansy". (This is her name, and I stood next to her all day, and she brought me my lunch from KFC.

Ummm, I will probably think of more things, just wanted to get some stories up.

I will be going back Thursday. :)

Also, I was supposed to have someone meet me to buy my extra tix that I had before getting Ga's, and she never showed up. As I was entering the venue I gave the ticket away to a guy to see if he could find someone that would want a free ticket. If you ended up getting it, I would love to hear your story. It was for section 324, Row 12, seat 5.

Good night. It was great for me.

James

Knox

Unfortunately I do not have GA's for Thursday. If you have a source let me know. I currently have 2 tix in section 315 row 1, so this is about halfcourt (if it were a basketball court) on Edge's side.

Would be fun to hang out with some others though.

My email is james@hbclz.org

If anyone has 2 extra let me know.

James

Wow... I really, really lucked out.

I had GA tickets tonight (as I've had all the nights thus far in Chicago). However, tonight, I was lucky enough to get into the bomb shelter. Not only that, but I was in the very center at the very front. There was just one girl in front of me (the girl that got pulled up on stage, actually -- her name is Khelia), which was just incredible. There is truly nothing like seeing the show from that vantage point. You make eye contact with Bono, hear him yelling to the crowd when his mic is pulled away from his mouth, and get to see all of the movements of the band that you miss being elsewhere.

I doubt anything will top this show for me. From being in that position, to it being Bono's birthday, to them filming the DVD... it was perfect. I even had Bono spray me with champaign (tasted pretty good). The performance itself had so much energy and personality to it, which I thought kinda lacked on Saturday and to a much lesser extent last night. The acoustics were amazing from where I was too, which really helped. Finally, ending with Vertigo was _perfect_. The energy in the bomb shelter was insane, and it got kicked up a notch when we heard the drum beat to Vertigo. Say what you will about playing the same song twice, but I wouldn't give up that 2nd performance of Vertigo for anything.

All in all, I can't imagine seeing a better show. I am just so thankful I'll always have the DVD to remember it by.

As you can tell, I haven't come back to reality yet :)

Here are a few (blurry) pics I took from the show: http://vertigo.modblog.com/core.mod?show=gallery&gallery=Chicago+May+10th+Pictures&gdate=5/11/05

I have another 75 pictures (better ones) to upload from tonight, and a few hundreds from the past days. Once I get back home I'll work on uploading all of those.

Thursday can't come soon enough!

Great stories. Can't wait to hear & see more tomorrow! You're all so lucky! Funny how you were all near each other, and didn't even know it.

And knox...what's that trick?

What an amazing show.

I came in around 7:30pm when KOL were playing. We didn't really care for them so we stayed out, but I did sneaked in just to see the stage. I literally had goosebumps coming out of there! Wow! (But, of course, that was before I realize we were seating in the 300 section.) :shame: :shame: :sad:

I don't know what it was -- could be that bad press lately, but I felt Bono performed like he had to prove something to the critics (reminds me of "Acrobat" line "don't let the bastards grind you down").

To be honest, I was a little bummed out before heading out to the show. I mean, reading the SunTimes article, the guy actually compared the show to a Britney Spears show. I can't help but wonder what the SunTimes writer would say had he seen/reviewed the show last night...

Well, it was easily the best show for me -- and I've seen ZooTV, PopMart, Elevation twice. There were sooo many highlights. That touching scene when Bono pulled up the little boy in "Into the Heart" sent shivers. The "Happy Birthday" chant was fun! And "Running To Stand Still" especially stood out, I dunno - I guess it was the harmonica or the hallelujahs. Amazing song, and Bono just sounded great!

Thanks for the great show, guys.

I can't wait for the DVD. :hyper:

Wow! Both Khelia and Lauren getting pulled up twice in the same tour! Lucky girls!
Here are a couple of stills I pulled off of the webcam thingie and posted in the setlist party last night while you guys were off actually listening to the music...
girl2.jpg

girl.jpg

partygirl.jpg

partygirl2.jpg

That's Khelia?!?! Sweet!

God, I can't wait to hear about this from Laura....

anyone have any pics?!?!?!?!?

Re: Great Show

Jamescorymiko said:
Hello,

While the setlist didn't vary a ton, it was an awesome show. I was 2 back from the rail on Adam's side. This was a great spot, as him and Bono spent a decent amount of time out there.

... he jumped in right over her, and my new buddy I met in line Imran. Anyways, Bono read her sign saying "Hello Pansy". (This is her name, and I stood next to her all day, and she brought me my lunch from KFC.

James

I was standing on the other side of Imran!!! I fellow interferencer just inches away and I didn't know it! Show was fun but I think the lottery makes people too tense...

i was at the tip of the ellipse along the rail for both the 10th and 7th :wave:

i was also the "line nazi" guy for both those shows (with some much needed help)

ive been to 5 shows on this tour so far and chicago 3 was the best by far, so amazing

Chizip said:

i was also the "line nazi" guy for both those shows (with some much needed help)

ive been to 5 shows on this tour so far and chicago 3 was the best by far, so amazing

Gotta love the "line nazis". They really make a difference. I wish I would have known it was you. I had great line experiences both days.:wave: Maybe next time I'll get beeped in.

SUCH a great show! My group and I snuck into the doorway with the VIP/dinner reservation line to listen to soundcheck and we got really excited when we heard a full-band Party Girl and then Original of the Species.

I started crying during at least one song each night in Chicago and last night it was Running to Stand Still. Tomorrow night I'll just be crying that I'm not still there.

I had a really cool seat that looked into the VIP section and the back Edge-side corner of GA and saw Ali going into VIP and then Paul McGuinness just hanging out in that corner of GA. There were some crazy dancer guys (probably drunk...) who danced their way over to him and one of them flashed him. :eek: I'm sure Paul was thrilled and I didn't notice him stand near them after that.

Last edited:
Re: Great Show

Jamescorymiko said:
Also quick note, Party Girl, as we have been calling her was over in that line where she talked to Bono before the show. This is probably where the Party Girl thing was put together for tonight.
I was standing next to her, and she had just gone over to say thank you for the night before. When he came over to our corner, she did thank him, and he joked (or so we thought) that they had to get her on the main stage for some technical reasons I don't understand or remember. We were all shocked he called for her again!

knox said:
At 8:55, I was 15 feet from the front rail in the ellipse. I have my (completely legitimate) ways, that I'll be more than thrilled to share with everybody AFTER Thursday's show. :wink: (Actually, since I learned about it on here, you all have the same potential "second chance" that I did!)

I would love to know how to do this if you are willing to share :)

I am so happy I decided at the last minute to go to this one. Absolutely amazing show. :up: :bow:

I cried during so many songs, you guys don't even want to know... lol And it was cool to see the lights, since I have GA's for all the rest of my shows. Pics are in the gallery, along with the ones of Bono I took earlier in the day outside the arena. :wink:

Chizip said:

Chip, nice meeting you on 5/9! I hope you used my umbrella b/c it rained all day here in GR and I had to walk to work. Will you be line nazi in September b/c I've decided to go to those shows. If so, can we number off now so I'm # 2??!?! :D

u2forlife said:
How did Khelia get so lucky? :drool: I'm a belly dancer and I would love to dance for Bono during Mysterious Ways. Anyone who was in the bomb shelter know if Bono just looks out into the crowd and points?

I was standing about four feet away from her, and it looked to me like Bono just saw her and decided he wanted to pull her up, so he asked her if she wanted to come up, and he was not refused.

Well, I can't find any with me in them on that web thing. I take a lot of pcitures, but none of myself, so...

If you're in the GA line tomorrow, come have a look around. I'll be wearing a white ONE bracelet on my wrist, as well as a blue CUBS BELIEVE one...the last two nights, I was wearing a blue Cubs jersey (but they're not playing tomorrow, so not tomorrow). Hope to see you all there, I'm going to bed so I can arrive bright and early. :wave:

u2forlife said:
U2dork said:

How did Khelia get so lucky? :drool: I'm a belly dancer and I would love to dance for Bono during Mysterious Ways. Anyone who was in the bomb shelter know if Bono just looks out into the crowd and points?

I was two people away from Khelia on the rail....Bono saw & recognized her as soon as he came out when the show started. I had no doubt in my mind that she was going to go back up there. And she did another amazing job! :up:

knox said:
Well, I can't find any with me in them on that web thing. I take a lot of pcitures, but none of myself, so...

If you're in the GA line tomorrow, come have a look around. I'll be wearing a white ONE bracelet on my wrist, as well as a blue CUBS BELIEVE one...the last two nights, I was wearing a blue Cubs jersey (but they're not playing tomorrow, so not tomorrow). Hope to see you all there, I'm going to bed so I can arrive bright and early. :wave:

Nope, sorry, but God willing I'll be back in Sept. w/ my bf and little sis.

I could not agree more with everyone...

5/10 was incredible!

I've seen them on every tour since the Unforgettable Fire, and I didn't think they would ever be able to match the chemistry of some of their early shows again, but Tuesday was amazing!

I took my kids to the show (ages 12, 14 & 18 - 1st concert for all), and I couldn't have been more pleased.

Thanks guys.

We were in 216, Row 1 (large homemade Happy Birthday sign to Bono)

Back
Top Bottom