Spoiled concert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFlyOnTheWall

Refugee
Here's the deal:

I was in Katowice the other day on ma first ever U2 concert!
Of course it was amazing... - It was U2, and I saw them, and the songs were great! The flag-thing was one of the best moments in my whole life.

But then again, I fell a little short in my excitement... Firstly cause I'm on the "blues crack" almost every day and know all the setlists.. so I knew pretty much for every song which is gonna be the next one! Also, seeing the pics of the show, the LED screen and some standstills, (specially from America's arenas where was all dark from the start, not like stadims) i expected sth little different, cause from the pictures you create your own (wrong) images, know what I mean?

I'm not very fond of the new album either, so I really didn't like the Yahweh performance. I just wished it was over... :)( )

+, I wasn't very close to the stage (not very faraway neither), so I mostly watched the band on the screens which could've caused the feeling of distance, like i wasn't the part of the show...

Again, I must say it was a great moment for me, and I'm really not sorry for the money or the 20+ hour trip! Just wanted to share my feelings, and see if someone else has them..

Cheers!
:wink:

The whole distance thing really makes sense. When I saw them in Philadelphia in May, I was pretty much in the highest seats in the arena...literally. It did make me feel a little disconnected, and the majority of people around me weren't THAT excited about the show to begin with. There was a general low level of enthusiasm in my area.

Luckily, I have GA for October, and hope to get there super-early in the morning so I'll be right up against the rail for the show. I'm expecting MUCH better "immersion" down there.

Lancemc said:
The whole distance thing really makes sense. When I saw them in Philadelphia in May, I was pretty much in the highest seats in the arena...literally. It did make me feel a little disconnected, and the majority of people around me weren't THAT excited about the show to begin with. There was a general low level of enthusiasm in my area.

Yeah. I guess it does. Cause, you know, when I watched the DVDs, before I went to this first concert, I always saw the best possible shoots of the band, individuals, or the whole stage. The sound on the DVDs is also very good.
And then, when you're in a stadium, all you hear is the people around you yelling :)wink: ), Bono isn't heard so good, and you cannot see them very well, so it must be that it really depends on where are you situated in the stadium. (I assume that there are not such problems with arenas...?)

You know how many Croats couldn't get a ticket and go to a U2 concert?

So, with all due respect, prijatelju, malo se manje zali.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

+, I wasn't very close to the stage (not very faraway neither), so I mostly watched the band on the screens which could've caused the feeling of distance, like i wasn't the part of the show...
It's called a "going to a stadium concert">

djerdap said:
You know how many Croats couldn't get a ticket and go to a U2 concert?

So, with all due respect, prijatelju, malo se manje zali.

Yes, I know. I was almost one of them.

Look, I am aware of how lucky I was to be there, and it was sure one of the best things that happened in my life. I can't say it was anything less than an amazing show. I just wanted to express the feelings which I didn't expect to have. Maybe I didn't express myself in the right way so you missunderstood me, sorry... I surely don't want to be known as one of the unsatisfied - cause I'm not. Period.

I think i can relate to what you say. Well, i still have to go to my first u2 show (july 13), but reading a lot on this forum, seeing a lot of pictures, looking a lot to the dvd of the elevation tour, i really have the perfect picture for the concert in my mind. You know, i'm just thinking about how it would be to stay really close to the stage and things like that. But now i think i should really expect to be far away, not able to see anything, so i won't be dissapointed.
But hey, i just gonna go there, don't think of anything and just enjoy it no matter where i am, because i think a u2 show will be amazing experience :)

LindaS said:
But hey, i just gonna go there, don't think of anything and just enjoy it no matter where i am, because i think a u2 show will be amazing experience :)

And it will be. Don't worry! :yes:

Personally, I love the new album, which helps a great deal.

Went to both U2 shows at London, one seated and one GA. I can understand that you could be disappointed being far away,but I didn't feel that way.

I have to say that I enjoyed both days for different reasons.

I don't know of any other band who puts on such a great show.

No-one does such a great light show.

The music is superb.

They really can work the crowd. The audience in London sang along to almost every song.

Yes, there are downsides to stadium gigs - sound quality can be patchy, but there are so many positives.

We all know we are unlikely to see a radically different show at each concert.

Bono does improvise lyrically from concert to concert , so there are some differences. A few song change from time to time.

Those lucky Parisiens got Bad and Out of Control, but that is the luck of the draw!

The Edge is hardly likely to 'go off on one' and play an extended solo, but we don't expect it.

Sorry you were disappointed.

Perhaps when/if they produce an album you really like, you will feel differently?

Hope to see some of you in Lisbon.

Cheers

Kaber

It was indeed an amazing experience. And i was three rows away from the stage!!!! So the perfect picture that i had in mind became true (exept for the fact that bono didn't bring me on stage to dance with me :p). I just don't have the words to describe it, it was just so great!!!!

Hmmm I cannot relate to the whole distance thing.
Whenever I go to concerts (no matter if I sit or stand wherever) I get such a kick out of it. The crowd, the adrenalin in the air and all that.. I love it. Concert DVDs are for me almost as boring as watching fish... Either I am there or I leave it. It is like diet chocolate. Not the real thing :wink:

There are always things one might find crucial in estimating that some event was not-as-good-as-it-could-be and the art of living is to neglect them, I think otherwise you'll loose the ability to enjoy anything and get more and more blue and depressed ;) I guess, your post TheFlyOnTheWall was just kind of provoking one, since I know you're as much into the show as I was. In fact, that's true that it's hard to suprise anybody with anything in the internet era, but I hope the flag during R&W was a little suprise for you:)? So maybe you don't have these, yet... (two short video clips from grandstands during NYD, giving a good impression of how the flag looked like)

http://s32. .com/d.aspx?id=2CJU6DLP6Z99Z29RFCD028Y7Q0 v1r&w mov 8.44MB

http://s32. .com/d.aspx?id=1Y0USVJWNOU4G3AF7XRHKMDUTJ v2r&w mov 9.30MB

Tomasz said:
There are always things one might find crucial in estimating that some event was not-as-good-as-it-could-be and the art of living is to neglect them, I think otherwise you'll loose the ability to enjoy anything and get more and more blue and depressed ;) I guess, your post TheFlyOnTheWall was just kind of provoking one, since I know you're as much into the show as I was. In fact, that's true that it's hard to suprise anybody with anything in the internet era, but I hope the flag during R&W was a little suprise for you:)? So maybe you don't have these, yet... (two short video clips from grandstands during NYD, giving a good impression of how the flag looked like)

http://s32. .com/d.aspx?id=2CJU6DLP6Z99Z29RFCD028Y7Q0 v1r&w mov 8.44MB

http://s32. .com/d.aspx?id=1Y0USVJWNOU4G3AF7XRHKMDUTJ v2r&w mov 9.30MB

Please repost . The links are expired.

Thanks a lot.

cheers,
dr.dae:drool:

well i didn`t have any problems with the show as I was able to get very close to the stage.
The sound was ok, people very excited and there was no pushing involved.. i also knew what were they going to play (was a bit disappointed because i was also in Vienna and the setlist was the same:( ), I also saw the videos, DVD recordings, pictures of the stage and the band from other fans, etc.
But I wasn`t expecting them to sound or act perfect, I only expected some changes in the setlist - anyway I`ve found out that this setlist might be boring but at least it sounds very well rehearsed and polished if you know what I mean.
And everything was perfect in the end :yes:
kl

Last edited:
Tomasz said:

You got it right, Tomasz!
And thanks a lot for the links!

Back
Top Bottom