So was Portland a bust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
This used to be known as THE show to go to, as it was the last show of the tour and should have been extra special with a few surprises. Everybody was excited about this show and tried to get tickets.

But after the 4th leg was announced that meant it wasn't the last show of the tour, hell it's wasn't even the last show in the United States. And to top it off it had the same standard setlist.

So, did the show not live up to the hype?

sounds like it was good from what ive read so far. lets face it not many in north america are going to travel to hawaii. so really its like the end for us :sad:

Oh I'm sure it wasn't a bad show, was just wondering if it lived up to the extremely high expectations. It seems like the Boston shows at the end of the first leg seemed more special than this one. But that's just from an outsider looking in since I didn't go to either.

I really can't say if it lived up to all of the hype since this was the first U2 show I'd ever been to (so I can't compare it to others).

Even though people knew it wasn't the *last* show of the tour, it was at least the last show before christmas and their well-deserved hiatus. That being said, I'd say there was a special, celebratory, emotional feeling in the air. At least, I thought so. Especially with all of the christmas snippets, the crew thanking the band (and vice-versa), and the "Thank You" signs. The band seemed grateful for the appreciation from the fans, like Bono's reaction to the signs, "No, thank YOU." They were probably just happy to have made it this far, and that the tour has been a success.

So... yeah, I'm sure it wasn't the most "kickass" or heart-pounding show of the tour, and that it didn't meet the hype setlist-wise or whatever, but it was a pretty good closer nonetheless.

Last edited:
I'm curious if there was a meet & greet---i assumed since it was the last US show, the band would be really into meeting the US fans one last time. However; i also heard the weather was HORRIBLE!!! So!--did our boys come out to say HI???!!!!

Adam came out in the pouting rain and signed autographs for pretty much everyone who was there. The show did not live up to my expectations. No Crumbs, no Fast Cars, no new songs, no Discoteque. very standard. The weather may have played a part in the band flying in and flying out and moving on.

No, it was not a bust. The crowd was great, the band was great, it was great. After following the setlists of the tour, and knowing there were no big surprises for the final Elevation show, I didn't have any big expectations.

I was happy to see Instant Karma thrown in after One - there's some spontaneity!

It was a good show but not a great show, in my opinion. The highlight for me was their cover of Instant Karma which blew the roof off the place. I wasn't sure some of the younger fans would know this song but everyone seemed to be singing along. That actually was one thing I noticed, that the crowd seemed extra loud at this show. Time to rest up in case those Hawaii rumours prove to be true.

I thought it was great... My second, so, that may be a reason. But the band seemed very playful tonight. Asking random fans how many shows they've been to, (In Elevation) asking the band to say thank you back to the audience (It took some coaxing to get Edge to say it in Gaelic). Then going to Adam, him talking very lightly... So Bono had to tell us. Then going to Larry, for him to reply with "A MOLE!"

Very fun :yes:

Zooropa1310 said:
I thought it was great... My second, so, that may be a reason. But the band seemed very playful tonight. Asking random fans how many shows they've been to, (In Elevation) asking the band to say thank you back to the audience (It took some coaxing to get Edge to say it in Gaelic). Then going to Adam, him talking very lightly... So Bono had to tell us. Then going to Larry, for him to reply with "A MOLE!"

Very fun :yes:

lol. They were not random fans. They were all girls that he knows by face. That is why they all said they had been to so many shows

we all looked at each other when he asked us how many shows and I briefly considered saying: "two."

It was a great show in terms of the energy and emotion. I never give a crap about setlists, and was not disappointed in the least EXCEPT I would loved to have had Bad as the encore--but then, I would have turned on the faucets even more :sad:

It was really hard to say goodbye to everyone. Hope to see some of you in Monterrey!

ruffian said:
we all looked at each other when he asked us how many shows and I briefly considered saying: "two."

LOL! That blew me away... When I heard you guys I was like, "Damn, I've only been to 1 show - this one!" I wish I wasn't a poor college student :sad:

It was great when he said, "You noticed I only asked the girls", though. And the Oprah comment. :laugh:

The trip to Portland was great the show itself in terms of a U2 show might be considered a bust. My friend who had never seen them before though said nothing comes close ot it. hey it's U2 what did he expect. But seriously the Thank You signs seemed to work on the floor but in the stands their seemd to be a big lack of interest or a big lack of comprehension. Either people in seats were too cool to hold them up or the couldn't grasp the concept of when and how to do it. I don't know. Kells was super fun though.

I dunno. As I looked around at the seats stage left and right, they seemed pretty covered (at least one out of every four seats had one, it looked like

romi said:
I dunno. As I looked around at the seats stage left and right, they seemed pretty covered (at least one out of every four seats had one, it looked like

Yup. Seriously, the seats looked great :yes:

Miroslava said:

Yup. Seriously, the seats looked great :yes:

O.k. I guess I'll stop whining about it. I guess my expectations were too high. I mean everyone in the 8 sections closest to the stage had one so I expected every sigle person to hold up their sign. I mean wouldn't you want to hold up your sign if you saw everyone else doing it. I know I would. I even yelled at the people in my section "C'mon you knuckleheads hold up your signs I know you have them!!!" The guy behind me and the two girls in front of me laughed and then held up their signs:laugh:

As for the show itself do we know why the band played such a short encore?

ruffian said:

Ruffian (or anyone else),

Do you remember who said what to Bono when he asked you guys how many shows you went to?

The first girl said "34", the second said "29", then "42", then "38".

Anyone know who said what?

From the photos, it looks like Ally, Ruffian (maybe?), someone I don't know, then the LA Twins were all lined up in front of Bono.

Thanks

It was Ally, then Khelia, Ruffian (42) He said the "Dr. Phil" Comment to her...it was classic!! Then to Aisha and then to Ruth.

It was so cool!!

Great night. :)

Miss everyone.

Portland show

Good but not great,
They were much more energized at Seattle and Vancouver,
(Near the start of the tour).
I think they were really ready for a break!

Back
Top Bottom