SD 2--a GA experience (long w/ spoilers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the length, but I think this will help some people decide how to approach their wait in line. So, here's the scoop from SD 2:

I got there at about 7:30 a.m. to check on status of the line. As reported, a couple die-hard fans had taken the initiative to start marking numbers on people's hands and marking their names in a notebook (good idea guys). I was no. 111. The SD staff agreed to honor what they'd done, but as reported after about 200 names and after the line got moved from one side of the arena to the other and broken into fan club vs. other lines, they stopped giving out numbers. That said, the numbers did really help with identifying people that had been there all day and keeping out those trying to cut (of which there were very few, perhaps due to the numbering system).

I hung out for an hour and a half or so to get the vibe, then I had to leave for a couple hours to go to work and grab stuff to work on in line, and the others around me were gracious enough to let me slip back into place. Overall the fan experience was awesome in line--very good people, one set of fans even brought me a burger back from their food run, at their expense. Thanks, guys.

When I got back the line had indeed moved to the other side of the building and there were indeed two lines--one for the masses and the other for the fan club. Also as reported, people were scrambling to get a way to prove they were in the fan club. Ultimately, they did not check people's u2.com membership info, however. Could just be a SD thing, or the fact that this was not a pre-sale show--you couldn't just show the W-FAN on the top of your ticket to prove you'd purchased through the club.

After I got back, around 12:30, not much started happening until about 3:30, when the arena staff came out and told everyone to stow their gear. After that, people who had been in and out of line began really staying in their spots.

Again not much happened until about six, other than the guy from Mexico City, who, as reported elsewhere, had had Bono and Edge sign his t-shirt, came back and was ecstatic (as we were for him), but little did he know what lay in store.

At 6 the place began getting electric as anticipation rose--but still nothing happened until about 7:40 when they started letting people in. There were 3 lines of people being let in--2 on the regular GA side and one on the fan club side. I guessed I was about no. 30 in the fan club line. They looked at your ticket to get in the door, then you had to have it scanned, and, as reported, either the laptop showed a "Proceed to the Floor" sign (which it did for me and my buddy), or it gave some other sign (reportedly a Vertigo logo) indicating you were in the ellipse. The guy from Mexico City indeed got in the circle. Another high for him.

As my buddy and I proceeded to our spot on the floor, we ended up, being no's 30 and 31, among the first hundred or so people (remember there were twice as many people from the general line flowing in at the same time we were). So bottom line--my 7:30 a.m. arrival got me behind one person off the rail at the tip of the ellipse. Not a bad spot to be sure, but the rail would have been priceless. The guys who kept the numbers--no's 1 and 2--ended up on the rail about ten people down from me (not in the ellipse).

The show was awesome, (spoilers coming)

Running to stand still, Gloria and the addition of With or without you were great. I'd seen Monday's show and Wed was much better, no doubt. Mostly the same setlist other than Gloria and w/or w/o you. Again they were challenged with Elevation (doesn't really fit in the set in my opinion) and the Fly. Love & Peace or else was great live, and even city of blinding lights was good as an opener (not my fave on the album). Hearing 40 twice as the closer was again outstanding.

As for the guy from Mexico city--he ended up being pulled on stage when Bono was looking for someone who spoke spanish and Bono handed him the mic and had him say a couple things in spanish (love is the drug and something about Dublin town). My guess is Bono remembered him, saw him in the crowd, and wanted to make a gesture toward fans in Mexico (he said in SD 1 they'd be in Mexico next year). Now that guy had a good day. :)

Would I do it again? Yes. If I came early I might go in the general line, though, as it seemed to flow faster than the club line with its two lines being admitted at once vs. one for the club. A friend from work, who came down between 4-5 p.m. and was in the general line, was only about 4-5 rows of people behind me and he didn't spend all day in line. That could be an anomoly but my guess is in 2d nights in the same town the crowd will be fewer and his experience won't be out of the ordinary.

On the lottery for the ellipse, I'm still wondering if there's some way they're tracking the tickets and giving better odds to fan club members--there did seem to be more of them in the circle, but I was told chances are about even.

Have fun at your show!!!

whoops--clarification

Whoops: just noticed my timing is off on the time we got let into the arena. It was very late, but I don't think it was as late as 7:40. Others may have a better memory. It was clearly later than the 6:30 they'd said at one point--maybe 6:40-7-ish.

My bad.

Thanks for the post....so your friend who was 4-5 people in back of you was happy and could see from his spot as well?
Can you leave to go the bathroom and come back?
thanks

4-5 rows back

I think my buddy was probably happy--I would have been. I guess it really depends on your height, though. I'm tall and I was in front. Some people behind me were only 3 deep and probably weren't too thrilled.

One guy left to go to the bathroom during the opening act and barely made it back to his spot--nearly got into a fight. You'd better make a trip before about 6 p.m. in line and I'd suggest not loading up on beverages once you're inside.

Thanks for the detailed post - I've been looking for some good info on this. I'm the type who would wait in line all day, but my husband isn't, and we'll be staying with his friends when we travel to Anaheim for the show, so I've been torn as to how early to get in line! I'm too dang short, so it's a tough decision! And yeah, the bathroom question in the last post is also key. It's a LONG time for us ladies to have to hold it! :)

laura Im with you! Its hard when you are going with people who would rather not wait!!! Im also too dang short so Im soooo worried about this whole thing!!!

FoundwhatI'mlookingfor said:
Sorry for the length, but I think this will help some people decide how to approach their wait in line. So, here's the scoop from SD 2:

I got there at about 7:30 a.m. to check on status of the line. As reported, a couple die-hard fans had taken the initiative to start marking numbers on people's hands and marking their names in a notebook (good idea guys). I was no. 111. The SD staff agreed to honor what they'd done, but as reported after about 200 names and after the line got moved from one side of the arena to the other and broken into fan club vs. other lines, they stopped giving out numbers. That said, the numbers did really help with identifying people that had been there all day and keeping out those trying to cut (of which there were very few, perhaps due to the numbering system).

I hung out for an hour and a half or so to get the vibe, then I had to leave for a couple hours to go to work and grab stuff to work on in line, and the others around me were gracious enough to let me slip back into place. Overall the fan experience was awesome in line--very good people, one set of fans even brought me a burger back from their food run, at their expense. Thanks, guys.

When I got back the line had indeed moved to the other side of the building and there were indeed two lines--one for the masses and the other for the fan club. Also as reported, people were scrambling to get a way to prove they were in the fan club. Ultimately, they did not check people's u2.com membership info, however. Could just be a SD thing, or the fact that this was not a pre-sale show--you couldn't just show the W-FAN on the top of your ticket to prove you'd purchased through the club.

After I got back, around 12:30, not much started happening until about 3:30, when the arena staff came out and told everyone to stow their gear. After that, people who had been in and out of line began really staying in their spots.

Again not much happened until about six, other than the guy from Mexico City, who, as reported elsewhere, had had Bono and Edge sign his t-shirt, came back and was ecstatic (as we were for him), but little did he know what lay in store.

At 6 the place began getting electric as anticipation rose--but still nothing happened until about 7:40 when they started letting people in. There were 3 lines of people being let in--2 on the regular GA side and one on the fan club side. I guessed I was about no. 30 in the fan club line. They looked at your ticket to get in the door, then you had to have it scanned, and, as reported, either the laptop showed a "Proceed to the Floor" sign (which it did for me and my buddy), or it gave some other sign (reportedly a Vertigo logo) indicating you were in the ellipse. The guy from Mexico City indeed got in the circle. Another high for him.

As my buddy and I proceeded to our spot on the floor, we ended up, being no's 30 and 31, among the first hundred or so people (remember there were twice as many people from the general line flowing in at the same time we were). So bottom line--my 7:30 a.m. arrival got me behind one person off the rail at the tip of the ellipse. Not a bad spot to be sure, but the rail would have been priceless. The guys who kept the numbers--no's 1 and 2--ended up on the rail about ten people down from me (not in the ellipse).

The show was awesome, (spoilers coming)

Running to stand still, Gloria and the addition of With or without you were great. I'd seen Monday's show and Wed was much better, no doubt. Mostly the same setlist other than Gloria and w/or w/o you. Again they were challenged with Elevation (doesn't really fit in the set in my opinion) and the Fly. Love & Peace or else was great live, and even city of blinding lights was good as an opener (not my fave on the album). Hearing 40 twice as the closer was again outstanding.

As for the guy from Mexico city--he ended up being pulled on stage when Bono was looking for someone who spoke spanish and Bono handed him the mic and had him say a couple things in spanish (love is the drug and something about Dublin town). My guess is Bono remembered him, saw him in the crowd, and wanted to make a gesture toward fans in Mexico (he said in SD 1 they'd be in Mexico next year). Now that guy had a good day. :)

Would I do it again? Yes. If I came early I might go in the general line, though, as it seemed to flow faster than the club line with its two lines being admitted at once vs. one for the club. A friend from work, who came down between 4-5 p.m. and was in the general line, was only about 4-5 rows of people behind me and he didn't spend all day in line. That could be an anomoly but my guess is in 2d nights in the same town the crowd will be fewer and his experience won't be out of the ordinary.

On the lottery for the ellipse, I'm still wondering if there's some way they're tracking the tickets and giving better odds to fan club members--there did seem to be more of them in the circle, but I was told chances are about even.

Have fun at your show!!!

what a great post. I was at SD #1 and #2 and couldn't describe it better. I should say that for the first show I was 2 rows from the rail and got in line at 6:00 a.m. I was number 149 or something like that...and the people in front of me were in the 300's! Go figure. The second show I got there at 5:30 and I was number 59. I got on the rail right in front of Larry's drumkit, which was an amazing place to be. It seems that for the second show people were a little more honest about where they belonged in the line...for the first show the numbers got all jumbled up when the line moved to the North side of the arena and so people were able to move way ahead.

Anyway, both shows were incredible--a great experience. Btw, saw you pictures. They are so good!

Back
Top Bottom