rude fans in australia - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > Fan Experiences and Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 12:53 PM
rude fans in australia

Having seen all the shows in australia so far, I would like to comment on the lame behavior of many people in the stands as well as the peculiar security. In Brisbane, people in the stands wanted to sit down for the most part. Security there enforced that for about half the show. People at the Sydney shows were much cooler, except for the 5000 who tried to constantly get out of the stands and jump into GA, wrecking the view of everyone behind them. Finally in Adelaide, the people in the town itself are very nice. At the concert, they are the saddest bunch. They boo if you stand, even though half the people in stands are standing. Isnt that the most pathetic thing. My fiancee was assaulted by some old drunk guy who came down. The police had to get involved. 3 other people stood in front of me on seats. People were also constandly blocking my view as I had aisle seats near the field. They were trying to talk to the guard to get into GA. Half got in. This didnt happen at the 35 US shows I went to. As much as Americans are criticized for being rude, the Australians at a concert are much ruder. I mean who gets assaulted at a U2 concert for standing? If you want to sit and watch it, get a DVD and stay home.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 11:23 PM
You've gotta ask this: How often does Australia as a whole get shows like U2 coming down? We're not as refined in concert etiquette as Americans, duh.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Australian crowds are terrible if there are seats involved.

I've had only good experiences in GA at my three U2 shows thus far, but I've seen other bands with seated tickets and had solely negative experiences with the crowd in those cases.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Thom's Bitch

Yeah dont put a seat behind an Australian arse at a concert.

The GA seemed good at all the shows I went to (Bris, Syd 1-3) and from what I saw, the Syd crowd was on its feet for most (maybe all?) of the show. I wasnt looking all the time but that seemed to be to go.

South Australians are a strange breed too...they dont even show up and force a sell-out in AFL finals matches. Rather watch it at home I guess.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
The Fly

^ That's coz everyone has bloody Foxtel, and they stay at home. Stupid idiots, and I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Australian crowds are terrible if there are seats involved.
Damn right. Who goes to a rock show to sit down the entire time, unless, of course, you're unable to stand for medical reasons.

Honestly, every show I've been to in Oz that has a seating section, everyone sat down. There are two exceptions. Pearl Jam in Brisbane last Friday was one. The other was Oasis last November and that was probably because 3/4 of the crowd were English!

To get assaulted because you dare stand up and dance to the music you paid good money to go and listen to is disgusting. Although I don't condone violence in any way, if it had been my wife he assaulted, I'd of made damn sure he didn't get a chance to do it again.

I know there is 'etiquette' and consideration of others when standing up in the seating section, but the question still remains as to why you would want to pay all that money to enjoy a rock show and just sit down all the way through it.

As someone previously said, if you're going to do that, save some bucks, wait for the tour dvd to come out and then watch it in the comfort of your own home.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 11:53 PM
I hate to say this, but I agree. I got A reserve seats for my Brisbane show (only cause I knew with work I wouldnt have time to line up for GA and all that) and I gotta say that we had a 'seat nazi' behind us. I wanted to stand up and he just glared at me to sit down and told me "ive paid good money for these seats, you just sit down" in the end he lost out- seriously how can you sit down at a gig like that???
Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
The Fly

I live in Adelaide, this was the first time I got to see my favourite band live. I was 6 when they were here last (13 years ago to the exact date). I apologize for the way you were treated. Me any my sister stood up during Beautiful Day and tried to encourage people in the bays close to us but only about 50 people stood up. Majority just sited there. Then we stood up for Pride, Where the Streets have no name and One. Then everyone in the bottom A-reserved bays near us stood up, I guess to cheer them for the first encore and they stayed this way. So the last 6 songs everyone around us stood up. We stood for a total of 10 songs of the 22 that were played. Unfortunately I think its just Adelaide being a smaller city, conservative and just not used to such concerts. At least the people in front of the stage in the inner circle seemed like to jumping around. I sang, waved my hand all day, clapped. I originally had GA seats but unfortunately when the concert was reschelduled it happened to fall on the day where I had a University exam in the morning for 3 hours, then a 2 hour break, then another exam in the afternoon for 3 hours so I figured by the time I would get to the stadium with traffic and all that I would end up at the back of the long Aussie Rules field. Also an exam in the following morning at 9am and I live like 30km from the exam venue. Though it seemed like there was room on the right side of the grass which was a bit closer anyway from our A-reserved seats on the right side near the stage. It was still an awesome concert and with the use of the binoculars I had no problems seeing Bono, Larry, Edge and Adam.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 12:53 PM
I agree with the opinions in this thread. It pisses me off when people sit down at a concert and force others to do so, although it says on the ticket you can dance etc
I was at Sydney 2 with seats and some people were giving it to me, you just have to stand up and not care - you payed good money, enjoy yourself.

Australians just think they are perfect, and like to give shit to other nations, especially America.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 01:53 PM
You know, this is an interesting topic. I am not seeing U2 in Australia but I did see Coldplay and Snow Patrol in Sydney both a few months back. Yes, as an American I was quite surprised to go to a shows where nearly everyone in a seat was sitting near the entire time. I had never seen anything like it in the US.

For Coldplay I had GA but I continued to stand for Snow Patrol despite any wankers behind me who were pissed off.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
The Fly

PietroChocko: I am a Crows fan and I went to both finals and as many of the home and away games as I could. But yeh no way I would miss out a finals game unless it was just impossible (ie family, medical reasons etc).

wang_chung: Not all Australian's are bad . I turned around and tryed and waved like a lunatic trying to get people to stand up, only managed to get about 50 people up. Thousands just sat there.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Dulce de Leche
You know, this is an interesting topic. I am not seeing U2 in Australia but I did see Coldplay and Snow Patrol in Sydney both a few months back. Yes, as an American I was quite surprised to go to a shows where nearly everyone in a seat was sitting near the entire time. I had never seen anything like it in the US.

For Coldplay I had GA but I continued to stand for Snow Patrol despite any wankers behind me who were pissed off.
Hello,

I saw Coldplay in Adelaide back in July. Luckily no exams but I was probably about 1-2m away from Chris in the GA. Had a awesome time. But I couldn't remember what the people were doing in the seats. But I was in the seats last night like I have already said so it wasn't really until last night that I noticed this.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #13
War Child

I know what you mean about not noticing what's going on in the stands when you're in GA.

I remember though that the guy I was with kept looking around and then I started looking around too and we both kept commenting that we couldn't believe everyone was sitting down!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Dulce de Leche
I know what you mean about not noticing what's going on in the stands when you're in GA.

I remember though that the guy I was with kept looking around and then I started looking around too and we both kept commenting that we couldn't believe everyone was sitting down!
I was praying that Bono would just scream out "Oi you F#$*#$#$8 in the stands stand up". Unfortunately didn't happen. You reckon that would get the message across.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
War Child

Probably, but it's probably best not to piss off the audience that has paid good money to come see you.