Phoney U2 Fans In Honolulu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi ive just got back from hawaii, id been there to see u2 play in honolulu! im sure you have heard by now that it was a great show.

anyway i spent the time with other u2 competition winners most of them were huge u2 fans a few others were not but they got there by answering an easy u2 question, but there was 2 who really annoyed me .

they were a couple who were not u2 fans at all and to be honest i dont know what they had to do to win , i was talking to them before the show when the girl from the couple asked me how many members of u2 were from america!!!!!

then ( and this is the really annoying bit) while the show was on and i was singing along at the top of my lungs , i looked over and the couple were on their seats SLEEPING!!!! i couldent believe it!!! i kept nudging them during the whole show but they kept falling asleep, I was disgusted!!! and i told them so afterwards.

just think a propor fan would have killed for their tickets.

i think when the record label run
s a u2 comp again
they shud make the questions hard enuff that only REAL u2 fan would know the answers rather than waste them on 2 people who just want a free holiday.

I thought the record label (mecury/universal uk) that had the contest for the hawaii show was just one winner and their guest. :hmm:

:up: for telling them off...

I agree they should of made that contest a wee bit harder so that a 'real u2 fan' would of probably won.

I don't know whether the couple from Europe or not (hopefully not Brits!), but jet-lag can be quite bad when trying to adjust your body clock by 10 hours!

I'm soooo glad the U2 concert was at the end of our holiday, because for the first week of our vacation, we were feeling *seriously* tired by 9pm every night.

europop2005 said:
they had a WHOLE DAY TO ADJUST FROM JET LAG!!!

A day won't do it, especially if they were from Europe (and over 30). Back in April, the time difference for me was 3 hours (daylight savings), and I was falling asleep inside Dukes at 10pm on Sat. night.

I'm curious, how did this couple respond when you told them you were disgusted with their behavior at the show? By the way, I applaud your candor with them, but you enjoyed the show and that's all that counts. I've seen worse. At least nobody got sick when the show started. I went to a Van Halen show and some dude puked before they got on stage. Talk about gross.
Don't let the bastards grind you down and keep rocking.

dude there were a lot of nonu2 fans there or phony ones i talked to most of them. i felt like my section of ga wasnt gviing the band the energy they deserved
so i gave them everything i got :wink:
and some dude i talked to DIDNT EVEN KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE BONOS NAME

...we were on a catamaran ride on Tuesday, with a lad from Dublin....we were talking about the show and the captain of the catamaran - a youngish guy - didn't know who U2 were!!!

europop2005 said:

Technically, you're supposed to give yourself a WHOLE DAY for EVERY time zone crossed, which from Europe....I lose count. I'm from the US and it was five hours difference for us.

I guess I can't really get that upset about people who don't know much about U2 because who am I to judge someone by how much they're obsessed with one rock band? Honestly, I enjoy finding newbie fans at shows. I'm glad they get the chance to get hooked early on. Sometimes I wish I could go back an enjoy a show BEFORE I knew more than I need to about every band member's mother.

If people want to sit down or sleep at a U2 show, fine, it's their seat and their money, but I won't be holding still or sitting down for them. I don't care what people do in their space as long as I'm free to sing and dance along.

As for "proper fan would kill for a ticket", there were tons of tickets available, on Interference, eBay, and even Ticketmaster. The people we sat next to on one of our many plane rides to Hawaii were interested in the show, and by the end of the plane ride had bought GAs at face value from a guy at the back. At the stadium, my husband gave away two GA tickets that someone had given us since he couldn't sell them. Ticket availability was not a problem, just being able to afford Hawaii and get there (and find a place to stay, what with all the places being booked).

manwiththespinninhead said:
hi ive just got back from hawaii, id been there to see u2 play in honolulu! im sure you have heard by now that it was a great show.

anyway i spent the time with other u2 competition winners most of them were huge u2 fans a few others were not but they got there by answering an easy u2 question, but there was 2 who really annoyed me .

they were a couple who were not u2 fans at all and to be honest i dont know what they had to do to win , i was talking to them before the show when the girl from the couple asked me how many members of u2 were from america!!!!!

then ( and this is the really annoying bit) while the show was on and i was singing along at the top of my lungs , i looked over and the couple were on their seats SLEEPING!!!! i couldent believe it!!! i kept nudging them during the whole show but they kept falling asleep, I was disgusted!!! and i told them so afterwards.

just think a propor fan would have killed for their tickets.

i think when the record label run
s a u2 comp again
they shud make the questions hard enuff that only REAL u2 fan would know the answers rather than waste them on 2 people who just want a free holiday.

there is no question that is "hard enuff" that only "REAL u2 fans" could answer. there's this tricky little thing called the internet where people can just look the "hard" questions up.

:shrug: worry about yourself and don't give a crap about what someone else does.

manwiththespinninhead said:

So what? What did their behaviour do to hurt you? You got to enjoy the show and they were quiet and didn't get pissed off at you making all that noise.

europop2005 said:

For me, I just stay up as late as I can, sleep 3 hours, stay up late as hell again, throw my whole internal clock out of whack, and then abide by the "Normal" clock for the time zone. I long day and I'm golden.

Same here

bfloxng said:

For me, I just stay up as late as I can, sleep 3 hours, stay up late as hell again, throw my whole internal clock out of whack, and then abide by the "Normal" clock for the time zone. I long day and I'm golden.

:lol: That sums up my whole trip. I had to be back at work yesterday and was late as hell. I made it in late again too. I guess I needed more time to adjust. I did not think 4 hours was that big of a deal.

it was probably during Bono's One speech

I nearly dosed off during that as well

Here in Belgium, there were 2 winners to the contest (1 for the Flemish and another for the French part of the country)

They each got 2 tix.
The Flemish winner is member of our fanclub and has reported back but only briefly(so far).
He certainly didn't fall asleep, although I must say, the time difference is as much as 11 hours.
The trip was from 8th till 11th, so not much time to adjust.

The contest was run on a radio station, questions needed to be answered during a week (internet) and on friday the radio station called 2 finalists and had a competition between the 2 of them.

Those questions were not that easy, I can tell you.
Both finalists were members of the same fanclub, so we were glad that one of us won after all (unfortunately it wasn't me :| )

:wink:

Hello,
I was one of the lucky winners too (from France), and have been to Hawaii to see the show.
I've also heard about those people who didn't know anything about U2 and won tickets for this concert ... I was so sad thinking about all this real fans that would have loved to be there :sad:
In France, there were 40 questions to answer, and then a draw at the end for those who has 40 good answers.

Back
Top Bottom