Phoney U2 Fans In Honolulu - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > Fan Experiences and Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Phoney U2 Fans In Honolulu

hi ive just got back from hawaii, id been there to see u2 play in honolulu! im sure you have heard by now that it was a great show.

anyway i spent the time with other u2 competition winners most of them were huge u2 fans a few others were not but they got there by answering an easy u2 question, but there was 2 who really annoyed me .

they were a couple who were not u2 fans at all and to be honest i dont know what they had to do to win , i was talking to them before the show when the girl from the couple asked me how many members of u2 were from america!!!!!

then ( and this is the really annoying bit) while the show was on and i was singing along at the top of my lungs , i looked over and the couple were on their seats SLEEPING!!!! i couldent believe it!!! i kept nudging them during the whole show but they kept falling asleep, I was disgusted!!! and i told them so afterwards.

just think a propor fan would have killed for their tickets.

i think when the record label run
s a u2 comp again
they shud make the questions hard enuff that only REAL u2 fan would know the answers rather than waste them on 2 people who just want a free holiday.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 PM
I thought the record label (mecury/universal uk) that had the contest for the hawaii show was just one winner and their guest.

for telling them off...

I agree they should of made that contest a wee bit harder so that a 'real u2 fan' would of probably won.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Maybe they were suffering from jet lag, it can be tough adjusting to the Hawaii time difference.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Refugee

they had a WHOLE DAY TO ADJUST FROM JET LAG!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 11:32 PM
I don't know whether the couple from Europe or not (hopefully not Brits!), but jet-lag can be quite bad when trying to adjust your body clock by 10 hours!

I'm soooo glad the U2 concert was at the end of our holiday, because for the first week of our vacation, we were feeling *seriously* tired by 9pm every night.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
A day won't do it, especially if they were from Europe (and over 30). Back in April, the time difference for me was 3 hours (daylight savings), and I was falling asleep inside Dukes at 10pm on Sat. night.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm curious, how did this couple respond when you told them you were disgusted with their behavior at the show? By the way, I applaud your candor with them, but you enjoyed the show and that's all that counts. I've seen worse. At least nobody got sick when the show started. I went to a Van Halen show and some dude puked before they got on stage. Talk about gross.
Don't let the bastards grind you down and keep rocking.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
The Fly

dude there were a lot of nonu2 fans there or phony ones i talked to most of them. i felt like my section of ga wasnt gviing the band the energy they deserved
so i gave them everything i got
and some dude i talked to DIDNT EVEN KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE BONOS NAME
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 04:32 PM
...we were on a catamaran ride on Tuesday, with a lad from Dublin....we were talking about the show and the captain of the catamaran - a youngish guy - didn't know who U2 were!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Technically, you're supposed to give yourself a WHOLE DAY for EVERY time zone crossed, which from Europe....I lose count. I'm from the US and it was five hours difference for us.

I guess I can't really get that upset about people who don't know much about U2 because who am I to judge someone by how much they're obsessed with one rock band? Honestly, I enjoy finding newbie fans at shows. I'm glad they get the chance to get hooked early on. Sometimes I wish I could go back an enjoy a show BEFORE I knew more than I need to about every band member's mother.

If people want to sit down or sleep at a U2 show, fine, it's their seat and their money, but I won't be holding still or sitting down for them. I don't care what people do in their space as long as I'm free to sing and dance along.

As for "proper fan would kill for a ticket", there were tons of tickets available, on Interference, eBay, and even Ticketmaster. The people we sat next to on one of our many plane rides to Hawaii were interested in the show, and by the end of the plane ride had bought GAs at face value from a guy at the back. At the stadium, my husband gave away two GA tickets that someone had given us since he couldn't sell them. Ticket availability was not a problem, just being able to afford Hawaii and get there (and find a place to stay, what with all the places being booked).
Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Are you sure they were just snoozing? Maybe they had just passed out, overwhelmed from being rocked so hard!

lol n00bz
Old 12-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Phoney U2 Fans In Honolulu

Quote:
Originally posted by manwiththespinninhead
hi ive just got back from hawaii, id been there to see u2 play in honolulu! im sure you have heard by now that it was a great show.

anyway i spent the time with other u2 competition winners most of them were huge u2 fans a few others were not but they got there by answering an easy u2 question, but there was 2 who really annoyed me .

they were a couple who were not u2 fans at all and to be honest i dont know what they had to do to win , i was talking to them before the show when the girl from the couple asked me how many members of u2 were from america!!!!!

then ( and this is the really annoying bit) while the show was on and i was singing along at the top of my lungs , i looked over and the couple were on their seats SLEEPING!!!! i couldent believe it!!! i kept nudging them during the whole show but they kept falling asleep, I was disgusted!!! and i told them so afterwards.

just think a propor fan would have killed for their tickets.

i think when the record label run
s a u2 comp again
they shud make the questions hard enuff that only REAL u2 fan would know the answers rather than waste them on 2 people who just want a free holiday.
there is no question that is "hard enuff" that only "REAL u2 fans" could answer. there's this tricky little thing called the internet where people can just look the "hard" questions up.

worry about yourself and don't give a crap about what someone else does.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Phoney U2 Fans In Honolulu

Quote:
Originally posted by manwiththespinninhead

So what? What did their behaviour do to hurt you? You got to enjoy the show and they were quiet and didn't get pissed off at you making all that noise.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
For me, I just stay up as late as I can, sleep 3 hours, stay up late as hell again, throw my whole internal clock out of whack, and then abide by the "Normal" clock for the time zone. I long day and I'm golden.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Same here

Quote:
Originally posted by bfloxng

For me, I just stay up as late as I can, sleep 3 hours, stay up late as hell again, throw my whole internal clock out of whack, and then abide by the "Normal" clock for the time zone. I long day and I'm golden.
That sums up my whole trip. I had to be back at work yesterday and was late as hell. I made it in late again too. I guess I needed more time to adjust. I did not think 4 hours was that big of a deal.