Never again am i doing GA!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Hello everyone,
First off My gf and I went yestarday to the Vancouver 1 show and let me say it was fucking amazing!!! The setlist, the lights everything was amazing!!! Even Adam and larry came out to the front and bono played the drums during LPOE at the front! The best part was when Bono put poul martins number up in the stage that was gold!! The sounds were increadable you could feel it in your chest!! BUT and unfortunatly there was a but

My gf and I are fairly short people I am 5'4 my gf is about 5 even. We were fairly close about 4 rows of people behind and we actualy had a decent view. Then Kings of Leons came out and we could still see them quite well but as soon as U2 came out it was like the tallest fucking people in the world shoved people around and menaged to get to the fucking front of us. I swear it was the worst cos my gf was being shoved around by ide say a group of 5 or six who decided that they wanted to be at the very front even though they didn't get there first. A few of the guys were much much taller then me. I said okey fine, the music rocked thats all i can ask for! By the time one came up it was more jamed paacked with more people cutting in front by this time my gf could hardly see nothing and because we were so close to the stage looking up at the screens made her neck sore. Anyways near the middle of the concert the people infront started putting up this HUGE sign up that bisicaly cut the whole view for us. Ide say it was interesting hearing the music and seeing a big huge peice of cardboard up for quite some time! Then came the Fly... my favorite U2 song (one of my many favorites!) and Bono was coming out of the smoke and another idiot had a sign infront of us which totaly blocked the view of Bono all i could see is a big sign and smoke and well they had that sign up for most of the time bono was there singning and the worst part is that both my gf and i would have gotten an amazing view of bono then but ofcourse not!!!! There had to be the fucking sign!!

Anyways I loved the energy of the crowed but what ruined it for us was the fact that people just shoved right through us and cut in front which ruined our views and the fact that what seemed like every other song people were holding signs up infront of us! I honestly don't see what so great about the fucking floor! We waited since before 2 PM we were number 319 and 320 so we were still fairly in front and when we got to the floor its like those numbers don't mean shit cos people who came alot after us go the front anyways.

I just don't see how people like those spots

You wait hours and hours,
You can't go grab drinks or food cos youll loose your spot
Youl get signs infront covering your views!

Next time i am getting seats

I am going to eat in a nice restourant and relax and come half an hour before the show starts and I am ganna sit order drinks and just relax! I am through with floor tickets and I am very upset that both my girlfriend's and my experience was ruined cos honestly i think this was the best show i've seen since popmart!

Okey that feels a bit better to vent my anger. Feel free to disagree if you must cos i am sure there are alot of hardcore GA fans here!

well, I'm going to the show tonight in Vancouver. It's 9am here and my group and I are still trying to figure out what would be the best time to line up. Sorry to hear that it wasn't that great for you. This is my first GA experience too. Anything you can suggest?

I'm with you on this GA. It's crap and just for the young kids. I learned long ago to get a good seat with a decent view and enjoy the show without all the pushing, shoving, and signs in your view. If you get tired you can sit down and you can go get a beer without your spot being taken. I guess it's called "Live and Learn". Hopefully, you can take your girlfriend to another show and enjoy the concert like you expect!

I did GA's for taping and for possibly getting in the elipse. Other than that, GA's stink. My best view was from side level seats 15 rows off the floor. (Besides the night we got in the elipse)

Well if you can go now and start linning up you may be one of the first maybe in the first 50 or 60 people. The only advice i can suggest is that if your in the first 50 or 60, chances are you will get a spot at the rails if you can grab it and don't let go if your stuck away from the rails you are ganna get shoved around and people will probably cut infront. I think we should have gone to the back of the arena where there are usualy less people and maybe a smaller but better view from there!

But again if you go now i don't even know if it can guerentee you a great spot i am sure your chances will be alot higher thought

boosterjuice said:
well, I'm going to the show tonight in Vancouver. It's 9am here and my group and I are still trying to figure out what would be the best time to line up. Sorry to hear that it wasn't that great for you. This is my first GA experience too. Anything you can suggest?

I agree, i had better views when i was at the nosebleeds for elevation! Well except for the few times that bono sang infront of us i guess yyou can't get a closer view but that was the odd time i would have seriusly prefeered nosebleeds!

Chrisedge said:
I did GA's for taping and for possibly getting in the elipse. Other than that, GA's stink. My best view was from side level seats 15 rows off the floor. (Besides the night we got in the elipse)

Yeah it would be cool if they did Vancouver again on the third leg as an extra but i do realize that other places that havent seen them should get them but if they do come i am deffinetly going to get seats!

bigwali said:
I'm with you on this GA. It's crap and just for the young kids. I learned long ago to get a good seat with a decent view and enjoy the show without all the pushing, shoving, and signs in your view. If you get tired you can sit down and you can go get a beer without your spot being taken. I guess it's called "Live and Learn". Hopefully, you can take your girlfriend to another show and enjoy the concert like you expect!

I did two nights in Denver on the floor. Night one I was toward the front in the mob. My biggest gripe was girls on guys shoulders. I know it's a standard GA thing but it's a little rude. Couldn't really see the main stage that well but it was cool when they came down front.

Night 2 I just hung out by the soundboard and it was much better. I could see the main stage better from there. There's actually a mat that goes around the soundboard that you can stand on and it gives you a little elevation...pardon the pun. Plus I had the bar and bathroom right next to me.

Headed to Chicago but looking for seats this time. Might do GA again in the fall. it's just a different experience.

Get on the rail or hang back. Because of the jackass lotto you're screwed out of a "safe" spot in the Bomb Shelter. So be in the first 50-75 or don't get there till late.

i would try to get to the front if your lucky you can get to the rail but if you can ide probably go to the very back where its less crowded and you have chance to see the beand although not up close

The GA is not for short people that's for sure. The taller the better. But whatever, it's expected.

OKay, well here is what we are going to do. We're going to go to GM PLACE right now (10am) and get a feel for what's going on. We'll talk with the ppl in line and see what they think. If we feel we should stay based on the line size, we'll stay. If not, we'll go around town and shop/hang-out.

Thanks for all your input. I'll report back after the show and let everyone know how it went. Thanks again!

You still can't see any of the stage lighting, or much action even from the back. My wife is 5' 2" and she did not like SD1 GA's. (we hung out closer to the soundboard, mid floor.)

dabiggestu2fan said:
Well if you can go now and start linning up you may be one of the first maybe in the first 50 or 60 people. The only advice i can suggest is that if your in the first 50 or 60, chances are you will get a spot at the rails if you can grab it and don't let go if your stuck away from the rails you are ganna get shoved around and people will probably cut infront. I think we should have gone to the back of the arena where there are usualy less people and maybe a smaller but better view from there!

But again if you go now i don't even know if it can guerentee you a great spot i am sure your chances will be alot higher thought

I am sorry to hear of your experience and I can so relate to your predictment. I am only 5ft and it does seem like all the tall people come out and get in front of you. I went to the opener in san diego and I was only 2 people back from the tip of the ellipse. I got pushed a little and my view sucked for most of the show because I had this amazon woman in front of me who was a complete b***h and gave me dirty looks everytime I started dancing and pogoing she just stood there and was constantly sticking her camera up to take pictures the whole time. I had a friend who was to the right of me and in front and he offered his spot! Thanks chizip!! :wave: It made the difference however I was now next to the witch and she continued to give me dirty looks everytime I tried to dance. It was packed solid in there. Being 2 or more rows back you really should be of good height to fully enjoy it.

My experienced advise to anyone, especially short people on what is the best spot to be in outside the ellipse. Get there early in the day, morning time. And this will get you the primo spots along/against the rail of the outside of the ellipse. I was slightly to the left (edge's side) of the tip of the ellipse against the rail. And it was perfect! No pushing, shoving or anything. And the view is awesome! And cuz you are on the rail you are on this metal platform that is slilghtly off the ground and thus it sort of seperates you from the rest of the crowd a little. Giving you just enough space to move and dance to your hearts content. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE SPOTS! If you don't get into the bomb shelter than this is the next BEST SPOT TO BE! :yes::wink:

that's my 2 cents....

I had a good experience as a short female for my first GA show in Seattle. But tonight for Vancouver, I'm going to stand in the back by the soundboard if I don't get into the Ellipse. If I can't be in the first two or three rows outside the rail, there's no way in hell I'll be able to enjoy myself.

Did GA for Denver 2 -- never experienced the shoving and pushing that seems fairly common in other cities from variouis posts.

We were about 8 'rows' of people from the tip of the catwalk, dead center, great view -- people were cool and just danced.

Maybe it's the altitude in Denver, but people just seemed very content to hang out in their spot without jostling for an improved position.

Sorry to hear it was a bummer for you.

I'm 6'2, my girlfriend is 5'9. We'll never have this problem. So we'll stick with GA's! :wink:

quick question

GA in the US is about- 2000 people? How on earth can you have a bad view with that number of people in GA? The whole purpose of GA is that you can move around, so if someone tall is in the way just move somewhere else, hell even at the BACK of 2000 people you should have a good view with such a small standing area. I don't see the need to be there 12 hours before the show with such a small GA area

you should count yourselves very lucky that GA is so small, here in the UK they're playing uber-stadiums and GA is 50,000 people!

being at the back of that lot you will only have a limited view of what's going on

Re: quick question

djparky said:
GA in the US is about- 2000 people? How on earth can you have a bad view with that number of people in GA? The whole purpose of GA is that you can move around, so if someone tall is in the way just move somewhere else, hell even at the BACK of 2000 people you should have a good view with such a small standing area. I don't see the need to be there 12 hours before the show with such a small GA area

you should count yourselves very lucky that GA is so small, here in the UK they're playing uber-stadiums and GA is 50,000 people!

being at the back of that lot you will only have a limited view of what's going on

You have to remember being in such a small place your jammed packed if i could have moved i probably would have but it was terribly packed and people where shoving so much that it was almost pointless to move around

Re: quick question

djparky said:

Well for one..if you are short like me than any other view other than against the rail sucks. You are packed in there so tight (that you literally can't move let alone move to another spot-you are stuck there) and can't see anything but the back of people's heads and their arms. You end up looking up at the video screens (while getting a neck cramp in the process) above the stage instead of in front of you. I was only 2 people/rows back from the edge of the ellipse and this was all I could see. This is if you want to get as close to the band as possible (meaning being against the rail on the outside of the ellipse). And who doesn't? :wink:
The reason for the long wait all day is to at the very least guarantee you a primo spot along the rail on the outside if you don't get beeped to get inside of the bomb shelter.

I feel for the europeans who have 50,000 fans that are GA. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Re: Re: quick question

U2Fanatic4ever said:

Well for one..if you are short like me than any other view other than against the rail sucks. You are packed in there so tight (that you literally can't move let alone move to another spot-you are stuck there) and can't see anything but the back of people's heads and their arms. You end up looking up at the video screens (while getting a neck cramp in the process) above the stage instead of in front of you. I was only 2 people/rows back from the edge of the ellipse and this was all I could see. This is if you want to get as close to the band as possible (meaning being against the rail on the outside of the ellipse). And who doesn't? :wink:
The reason for the long wait all day is to at the very least guarantee you a primo spot along the rail on the outside if you don't get beeped to get inside of the bomb shelter.

I feel for the europeans who have 50,000 fans that are GA. :ohmy:

Couldn't agree more with you. I am rather on the short side and i think it doesnt matter where you go except the rails your not ganna be able to see nothing. I felt more bad for my girlfriend who is about 4 or 5 inches shorter then me and she absolutly could not see nothing at all! At a couple of times i just lifted her up a bit so she could atleast see the stage but due to lack of room i really couldnt lift her up much and if i had her in my shoulders it would have been very rude for the people behind. So it doesnt matter iif there were only 2000 people or 50,000 if your short the views will suck either way!

ok so yesterday my wife and I lined up at 915am. We were number 115 in a numbering system started by some stupid fan that would write it with a marker. ok. all is well until they form the 2 separate lines, everyone goes rushing up all at once. so what happens, people who were further back in the line wind up in front of us. ok whatever.

we made it to 2nd row on Adams side (not ellipse) the view was awesome from there, but as mentioned above people started pusing and shoving and it got to be too much for my wife. I tried protecting her by going behind and taking the brunt of it, but she still couldnt handle the heat.

after an entire day sitting in line, and then no food or drink after 5pm, it was too much for her so she jumped over the security rail and just went to the back.

I too will never buy GA again...I have it again for MSG in November, but I will either trade, or just show up at show time. camping out is just a waste of time.

thank god for the 2 couples that we met in line, cause it did help time go by really fast...and we were all together on the floor as well...

great show btw! these guys are just awesome live...

mr_perfect said:
ok so yesterday my wife and I lined up at 915am. We were number 115 in a numbering system started by some stupid fan that would write it with a marker. ok. all is well until they form the 2 separate lines, everyone goes rushing up all at once. so what happens, people who were further back in the line wind up in front of us. ok whatever.

we made it to 2nd row on Adams side (not ellipse) the view was awesome from there, but as mentioned above people started pusing and shoving and it got to be too much for my wife. I tried protecting her by going behind and taking the brunt of it, but she still couldnt handle the heat.

after an entire day sitting in line, and then no food or drink after 5pm, it was too much for her so she jumped over the security rail and just went to the back.

I too will never buy GA again...I have it again for MSG in November, but I will either trade, or just show up at show time. camping out is just a waste of time.

thank god for the 2 couples that we met in line, cause it did help time go by really fast...and we were all together on the floor as well...

great show btw! these guys are just awesome live...

I am sorry that had to happen to you as well!! i never understand why so many people love GA! I think you must have been very close to me then i was along that side near the corner! Did you see that one lady they had to take in a strecher, i think she must have passed out from the heat! Trade them if you can your other tickets! I am hoping that on the third leg they do a surprise show or they come close enough to go. I wouldnt mind going back today but lack of money and the fact that i work tonight don't help too much lol

I agree with the advice of either getting in line really early to garantee a spot on the outside rail, or get there late and hang out at the back. The middle of the crowd is just about the worst place to be. I have a GA for tonight and I'll show up at 7pm or 8pm. If I don't win the lottery I'll just stay near the soundboard, where the sound is the best.

It's rock'n'roll people. GA is the only way to go! I feel like I'm in a club gig down on the floor. It's only way to go in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom