My Experience At U2 Seattle Night 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
It's 6:30 pm. I'm at a little teryaki shop in Ballard with my girlfriend. Already, my experience is totally different than the night before. Because unlike night one, I didn't have GA's for the second night; therefore I didn't have to stand in line. So we roll up to the Key Arena at 7:15 and eat our teryaki outside next to a little "pond" that's near where the general admission line had been in the previous hours. I'm very shocked to see people still going through the line, wondering why they would have paid for such a good ticket and then not get there early enough to capitalize on it. I thought getting there at 1:30 on Sunday was later enough as it is! Kings Of Leon began at 7:30 or so and my girlfriend and I decided that they weren't good enough to warrant throwing away the rest of our teryaki to go inside. So we continued to eat for the next 20 minutes or so until we finished.

Finally we went inside and found our seats. Section 219. Row 9. Seats 1-3. These seats happened to be behind the stage. Not the best seats in the world by any means, but we could see the stage fine. Kings Of Leon played 5 songs after we entered. My friend Levi showed up just as they finished. They're last song actually was really good. The saving grace was the fact that Eddie Vedder came on and sang the last song with them and played tambourine. Either way, their set ended and the lights came up and that was when my friend Levi entered (if you remember from my last post, Levi was the first one in on night one and held Bono up on Zoo Station). Immediately he tells me he's been hanging around outside the Key Arena all day and talked to Bono earlier and shook hands with The Edge. Apparently The Edge has a very strong grip, but small fingers.

Music is playing over the loudspeaker. The Killers come on and I ask Levi whether or not he sees the resemblance between The Killers and U2 as a lot of U2 fans say there is. He says he really doesn't. I say I'd thought about it and didn't think there was any. But then I amended my statement and said that I think The Killers remind me of U2 during Achtung Baby and Pop. Then we start to talk about what bands would have been better openers, and Muse and Switchfoot come up. And then we talk about how we're glad The Scizzor Sisters weren't the openers as it was rumored early on they would be. I start to get thirsty, so, having the luxury of a set spot, I can go out to the concession stand and not worry about my place being gobbled up as I had the first night in the GA's. Having seats is much more laid back (which can be both a good thing and a bad thing).

There was a healthy line at the concessions stand. Everyone and their mother seemed to be buying beer. I got a sprite. However, the line was ten minutes long and there had already been quite a good deal of music played over the loudspeakers, and I began to worry I'd hear "Wake Up" by The Arcade Fire while still in line. But at the same time I was really thirsty. Thankfully, I got my sprite before The Arcade Fire's song started and had ten minutes to spare! The red lamps came on. Excitement was buzzing. Oddly, the stadium was only about 2/3rds full when The Arcade Fire's song came on. And even more oddly to me was that there wasn't a huge surge of people when that song came on. You'd think it would get around word of mouth from one night to the next that a song is played right before the beginning of U2. The crowd surged in during "EVERYONE!" And the lights went down. And my heart dropped into my stomach yet again.

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS.

The Edge was on the stage bathed in read and his guitar intro was marvelous. It nearly reminded me of what it must have been like on the Lovetown tour to see Hawkmoon 269 open with the extended intro. Not quite the same, but reminiscent. Each time it got to the chorus and the lights in the house came up, the cheering was outrageously loud. I loved it. Bono didn't pump his open palm like he did last night, but I could tell some of the people in the pit had been there last night because they were pumping their had as Bono had the night before. I enjoyed Monday's performance of the song more than I enjoyed Sunday's. For some reason it just has more energy and fills the spot of opener better than Love And Peace Or Else does. I'm glad I got to experience seeing them both open live. (Now I'm just wondering which one I'll see open if I have the cash to go see them in Portland!)

BEAUTIFUL DAY.

As with last night, even casual fans really knew this song. Everyone was singing along. Including my girlfriend, who happens to be a casual U2 fan. The part of the song where Bono sings, "After the flood all the colours came out" was amazing with the lighting. Lights were flooding out in the stadium of a great deal of different colours. It was a very kaleidascopic feel. No Blackbird snippet at the end of the song Monday night.

VERTIGO.

At the beginning, before singing "uno, dos, tres, catorce....", Bono said numbers in different languages. I believe German and French were the two languages, but I'm not sure. Strong performance of the song with much crowd involvement on the "iHola!" and "iDonde Esta?" parts. This performance of this song had one of my favourite moments of the night when Bono sang, "All of this. All of this could be yours. All of this. All of this could be yours. All of this. All of this could be yours. Just give me what I want. And SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Again, as with on The Fly last night, it made me happy because I knew people on interference just love it when Bono says the f-word. :wink: There was no Stories For Boys snippet at the end, which I thought was odd, because although I've only heard it on five bootlegs so far, (and now three times live) I thought it was used each time. Perhaps Monday night was a fluke?

ELEVATION.

Like Sunday night, strong crowd participation. No one was pulled out of pit and onto the stage during this song as crissyboi was pulled up on Sunday night. When the song went into the full-on part, the crowd went bananas, jumping up and down. Again, like I said in my post about Sunday night, despite the fact that many people don't like this song, it does extremely well live because it's high energy and an easy song to sing along to. Perfectly coupled with Vertigo.

GLORIA.

I knew this song was coming before it even started. Not only had I been looking at sets, but it just felt like it'd fit in perfectly after Elevation. The band went through a flawless perfomance and I am very happy that they've brought this song out of retirement. It was truly a gem of the evening, even if the crowd didn't know the words as well as some of the others. They knew the words even less for An Cat Dubh. It's just too bad they can't do both at the same show and play 30 songs or something! :)

THE OCEAN.

Bono changed the words to this song, but I couldn't understand what he was singing. It was a good little ending to Gloria, but it would have been nicer to hear a different short song like Promenade or October here. But they did it well!

You were right. The band were flawless. Except a couple times the mic squealed during a second reendition of Vertigo.

I could tell, the second night, that Bono was up to something different...he quickly ran over to Edge, yelled something into his ear, ran over to Adam, animatedly repeated himself, Adam had a big smile on his face (he looked surprisingly happy and elated throughout the whole show) and then spread the word to Larry.
Bono came out and said, "Encore!" in Italian, not English. To which he said, "Encore means playing the same fucking song again!!! Unos dos catorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The crowd went wild....again.
I was fortunate and elated, I sung every song word for word not missing a beat not missing a word. People around me were looking at me to find out which song was starting. Some idiot in front of me kept yelling out the wrong titles (as well as passing awful decrepid wind). For instance, when Love & Peace started he yelled out, "Bullet The Blue Sky!" I yelled out, "Love & Peace!"
I was in section 128 close the bottom, and was worth every penny. I will be aiming at closer to the stage the next show. And I am going to definitely get a better camera!

xtal said:
You were right. The band were flawless. Except a couple times the mic squealed during a second reendition of Vertigo.

I could tell, the second night, that Bono was up to something different...he quickly ran over to Edge, yelled something into his ear, ran over to Adam, animatedly repeated himself, Adam had a big smile on his face (he looked surprisingly happy and elated throughout the whole show) and then spread the word to Larry.
Bono came out and said, "Encore!" in Italian, not English. To which he said, "Encore means playing the same fucking song again!!! Unos dos catorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The crowd went wild....again.
I was fortunate and elated, I sung every song word for word not missing a beat not missing a word. People around me were looking at me to find out which song was starting. Some idiot in front of me kept yelling out the wrong titles (as well as passing awful decrepid wind). For instance, when Love & Peace started he yelled out, "Bullet The Blue Sky!" I yelled out, "Love & Peace!"
I was in section 128 close the bottom, and was worth every penny. I will be aiming at closer to the stage the next show. And I am going to definitely get a better camera!

I thought that encore with Vertigo again was awesome last night. And for me, having already seen 40 the night before, it totally made up for them NOT playing 40 last night.

I was nervous about getting seats after having an INCREDIBLE GA experience the day before, but you're right, it is worth every penny if you're close to the stage. (We were in 127, next door :wave: ) And everyone was cool when I was standing the entire time and dancing like a crazywoman.

I had a similar experience to yours on Sunday when some jerk with his girlfriend was pushing his fist into my rib cage trying to make me move away from the rail or something. I couldn't even turn around and tell him to quit it because his girlfriend had TERRIBLE goat breath. Then they tried pushing my sign down during Zoo Station right when Bono was reading it and singing to me. But even :censored:s like these couldn't ruin my experience!!! I've been on cloud 9 for DAYS!

I was in section 125 right next to you and my step daughter was in sec. 128. The side stage seats were great. If I ever wished for a total experience this one was it. My tickets were from Ebay, pretty close to face value, hers I got 3 weeks ago from ticketmaster! She was so excited!! I haven't talked with her yet, but we talked by cell in between acts and stood up and waved at each other. I see why now there are so many loyal fans of U2, totally great guys and so in to the fan experience. I take my hat off to them.

Made my night, I'll never forget.

the tourist said:

It was a good little ending to Gloria, but it would have been nicer to hear a different short song like Promenade or October here. But they did it well!

Now that would be something...two of my faves (desperately hopes they do that in Melbourne 2006! :) )

I meant to finish this. I hate being so busy. I'll finish it tomorrow. I hope.

Tourist, your reviews are great! Can't wait until you get to the rest of Seattle2. Awesome that you got to hear Gloria live. I was bummed they didn't play it at any of the three shows I went to but there's always the fall...

Definitely try and get tix for Portland! I was lucky enough to get mine through the u2.com presale but the way they've been releasing tickets before each show means you have a chance to get tix at face value (if you can stomach waiting til a few days before or day of show).

u2girlcj said:

I thought that encore with Vertigo again was awesome last night. And for me, having already seen 40 the night before, it totally made up for them NOT playing 40 last night.

I was nervous about getting seats after having an INCREDIBLE GA experience the day before, but you're right, it is worth every penny if you're close to the stage. (We were in 127, next door :wave: ) And everyone was cool when I was standing the entire time and dancing like a crazywoman.

I had a similar experience to yours on Sunday when some jerk with his girlfriend was pushing his fist into my rib cage trying to make me move away from the rail or something. I couldn't even turn around and tell him to quit it because his girlfriend had TERRIBLE goat breath. Then they tried pushing my sign down during Zoo Station right when Bono was reading it and singing to me. But even :censored:s like these couldn't ruin my experience!!! I've been on cloud 9 for DAYS!

What did your sign say? Did Bono read it? Did he look at it? How did he react?
Did you guys hears 2 people yell, "I LOVE YOU BONO" during the show? I was the first one, which most people couldn't hear, I have such a gentle and low-toned voice, so I had my friend do it a few songs later, I think during the time Bono was speaking...well yeah that was ME. Section 128 Row 15.

:wave:

kellyahern said:

Adam looked like he was having a blast for both shows, but the second one especially. Plus, he got to be the "mysterious ways" girl for that show :lol: Bono picked Adam to dance with him for that part :cute:

I got a pic of that. I thought that was adorable. Little googlies went through my stomach.

xtal said:

I got a pic of that. I thought that was adorable. Little googlies went through my stomach.

xtal, could you post that picture if you have it please? I'd love to see it, but unfortunately there aren't many pictures at all on the Net of it. :(

alas, I've been terribly busy. I'll try to remember the rest of the show and finish my review now.

NEW YEAR'S DAY.

They played New Year's Day flawlessly. As a musician, I'm always astounded when I hear The Edge go from piano to guitar and back so seamlessly. Maybe it's because he's been doing if for 22 years on New Year's Day, but it just is wonderful every time! My favourite part on this song is when Bono gets everyone doing the fast, rhythmic clapping after the second chorus.

MIRACLE DRUG.

Once again, Bono dedicated this song to Jennifer in the audience, who was sick. I think that this song is very strong live, almost as strong as Beautiful Day. The only hitch is that people don't yet know Miracle Drug as well as they know Beautiful Day. Hopefully it'll be a single after City Of Blinding Lights and people will sing along better at future tours. Either way, the song, bathed in blue, was spectacular!

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN.

Bono took off his sunglasses for this song. Also, he pulled a boy out of the ellipse and walked with him up on the stage. I thought this was the perfect song for something like that and the perfect change of pace from pulling up a girl to dance with for a song. It was a very emotional moment and, just as with night one, Bono seemed like he was going to break down to tears. And the boy looked like he couldn't wait to tell his friends at school the next day that he was onstage with Bono!

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE.

Bono returns to the stage and puts a fresh pair of goggles on, very black and not see-through at all. Very like the Achtung trio from Sunday night. One thing I noticed about this song that I don't like as much as on the album is that the guitar never really gets distorted about halfway through the song. Once again, he drummed at the end of the song. However, he kept on drumming right into the intro of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY.

Lots of crowd singing on this song. One of the more memorable moments being during the Bono-rant when he points to a white headband he puts on during Love And Peace Or Else which has religious symbols on it and says "Jesus, Jew, Muhammod, too. Co-exist!" And sings co-exist a few times and points the mic to the crowd to echo him. And then sings "No more." For a moment I thought of that strictly symbolically and was thinking, "co-exist no more?" But then I just thought to myself that Bono always has good intentions. He meant co-exist in peace and no more violence. :wink:

BULLET THE BLUE SKY.

The way Sunday Bloody Sunday works into Bullet The Blue Sky is phenomenal and is a surprise even when you know it's coming. This version of Bullet The Blue Sky is a much more subdued one that we're used to, musically and politically. It kind of left me a little bit disappointed; I liked what I used to hear with a distorted solo Bono's rants. Although the "Johnny Comes Marching Home" and "The Hands That Built America" are definitely a nice way to go, I found myself missing the fighter planes and mud huts. The solo is amazing. I just wish he'd loaded on the distortion a-la ZooTV.

Back
Top Bottom