MSG 10/14 Ticket Drop Fiasco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anathaema

Babyface
Hi all. Forgive me if this is in the wrong area, but I figure this does fall under 'Tour Experiences'.

After the absolute fiasco of the ticket drop for MSG 10/14, I e-mailed guest relations at Madison Square Garden to let them know exactly what happened. Today a guest relations manager called and we spoke at length about the way things were (mis)handled. He was very apologetic, and apparently steps will be taken to ensure that it doesn't go down like that again, but I think it would be beneficial if more people who were involved in the chaos that day were to come forward and let MSG know of their experiences.

The e-mail I used was Customer.Relations@thegarden.com. My letter was very polite and business-like, and I would advise that all correspondence with MSG be similar - respectful, yet firm. If you have something to say about the poor security, the overwhelming presence of antagonistic and violent scalpers, and the general chaos of the entire thing, please contact them. Include your information so that if they wish to contact you in return, they can. If you know the names of the security guards working that day, include them - ESPECIALLY if you know who the supervisor was (he was the guy with the local Vertigo pass, the big red V).

Before the show, I did let U2 security know of the incident and was assured that it would not happen in Philadelphia - to my knowledge there were no issues with ticket drops or even scalpers in Philly, though to be fair Philly was an easy show to get tickets for. I think though that if we make sure that places like MSG and the former Fleet Center know that we're unhappy with their methods for handling ticket releases on the day of show, things might change for the better. So, speak up and use your voice.

It's no One Campaign, but hey. :)

- A.

(Crossposted to several forums, because I know I talked to a lot of people who were from @U2, Zootopia and here.)

Yeah please will be great if you let us know what was the big deal. So we can understand more your mad moment.

More...

Right, so - explanation:

It was chaos. There was minimal security and maximum confusion. For every fan there were about ten scalpers who were antagonistic and violent. People were pushed, shoved, even pickpocketed and molested, and according to MSG security it was our own fault 'for being there.' We weren't allowed to line up until 4pm, and constantly chased off the property. When they did line us up, we were told that the list we'd been TOLD to start would now not be honoured. Then they herded hundreds of people into barricades, like cattle. They yelled at us, pushed us around and it was just a mess. Even Boston in May wasn't that bad, because we were at least allowed to line up and there were cops there eventually. MSG was just a free-for-all.

And in the end, they didn't drop tickets until almost 5, and they only dropped expensive seats - maybe 5 or 10 GA tickets were released ... at 8.30pm.

Re: More...

anathaema said:
Right, so - explanation:

It was chaos. There was minimal security and maximum confusion. For every fan there were about ten scalpers who were antagonistic and violent. People were pushed, shoved, even pickpocketed and molested, and according to MSG security it was our own fault 'for being there.' We weren't allowed to line up until 4pm, and constantly chased off the property. When they did line us up, we were told that the list we'd been TOLD to start would now not be honoured. Then they herded hundreds of people into barricades, like cattle. They yelled at us, pushed us around and it was just a mess. Even Boston in May wasn't that bad, because we were at least allowed to line up and there were cops there eventually. MSG was just a free-for-all.

And in the end, they didn't drop tickets until almost 5, and they only dropped expensive seats - maybe 5 or 10 GA tickets were released ... at 8.30pm.

:shrug: as for the dropping of the actual tickets, that's how it seems to work in most places... ticket drops are extra tickets to sold out events... they're obviously going to sell the most expensive tickets first and save the cheapest ones for last. GA may be the best seats, but they're also the cheapest. thus then... yea. i know that's how they always do it at MSG.

the baracade thing is exactly how they've done it for every show thus far... at least as much as i've witnessed. :shrug: never looked like a problem before hand.

also... that portico area where they lined people up is shared property with madison square garden and the city of new york. the largest commuter rail station in the nation is located down the stairs from that area. they can't have the area cluttered with people, blocking commuters, for the entire day. that's just common sense.

if you had anything stolen or were "molested," arena security would not be the people to complain to... you or whoever else had this done should have reported this to the NYPD... and if you're gonna say next that there were no cops around, then i will now stop believing anything you say. just because the NYPD ddidn't specificly assign officers to watch a ticket drop line doesn't mean they weren't there... and there are dozens of cops... hundreds of cops... within a quarter of a mile of that MSG portico area, be it downstairs in penn station or outside on 7th avenue. there are MTA police precents located within penn station... there is one a mere 100-200 feet downstairs from the MSG portico area.

:shrug: 10/14 was the only show of the 5 i didn't go to... the line looked just fine the rest of the shows, and some of this sounds like a little bit of over-reaction. :shrug: maybe i'm wrong, and i'm not trying to call you a liar. but... i dunno.

actually last may i had a pretty bad experience with the ticket drop line. the security guard working actually took money from a scalper in front of us and then let the scalper in line in the first group (first 10). we couldn't believe how blatant this was in front of us. The scalper had been walking around all day and was buddies with the guard. We didn't think it would go that far though.

On 10/7 we waited in line only to have the security guard scream at us that we weren't in a perfect single file line. He almost threw us out and when he yelled his face was about 5 inches from mine. I wasn't doing anything that terrible!

i was on the line for the may thing.. the guard up front was a jerk and very strict.. but tey did drop a lot of tickets :)

yeah they dropped a ton ... i had tix but was looking for GA's , , , unfortunately they didn't have many of them in May

I understand the ticket drop explanation... the problem - and it was big - was the lack of communication between the security guards at MSG. I agree, in retrospect, we should have called the cops. I arrived early and was told to come back at 4. If I had, I would have been out of luck. I left and came back at 3 where there was a "list" from early on in the day ( I never knew and never signed it..) I was told would not be honorod by head of security. He walked away and the pion security guard lined people up that way. There were a few hundred people milling about who all ran for the front of the line. It was a mob scene. Scalpers threatening people. The group of 10 I was let in with ( I was the third group) were ALL scalpers and admitted so. The girl behind me asked me when the show was!!! She was paid $200 for standing there all day. After being denied twice at the window for a GA ticket they told me to get to the back of the line (thousands long at this point). I didn't but kept going up to the window throughout the night to see if GA was ever released. At 8:59 when GA was dropped, I finally got a GA ticket! Since I had been there ALL day they let me buy it. I was lucky, persistence paid off but for about a half an hour it was a dangerous situation. In Philly they lined people up when they get arrived by the type of ticket they want and when they are dropped, those people go up... that is how they should do it.

I had a problem at the May 21 show when I did the drop. I think I have one of the guys business cards. Anyways I am beginning to think MSG is being run by the mob and ticket scalpers that have an in on the venue.

Super_Fan said:
I had a problem at the May 21 show when I did the drop. I think I have one of the guys business cards. Anyways I am beginning to think MSG is being run by the mob and ticket scalpers that have an in on the venue.

actually the garden is run by jim dolan... of the cablevision dolan's... who is one of the biggest money grubbing assholes in the entire new york area, if not the nation. he blocked the purchase of the west side train yard by the new york jets, effectively killing off any chance of new york being awarded the olympics, simply because he was afraid of losing business to the new stadium. after the jets withdrew their losing bid, dolan then backed out of his bid to buy the west side train yards.

he's now being sued for anti-trust violations because they claim his bid was never real to begin with.

i hope he rots in hell.

i have an anti jim dolan t-shirt. i'm wearing it to the garden for u2 in november.

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/browse/...=1&id=6820418&q=fire isiah&opt=&fpt=&c=&hlv=t

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom