MERGED--> Discussions of Bono's voice/microphone/vocals etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

ramblin rose said:

Reminds me of the good old days after the release of HTDAAB. Oh yeah and during the "sell out" phase of the forum....And how can we forget the tour name negativity time, and nevermind the pre-tour setlist/lottery "freak outs".

And this was all only since November.:|

Ugh, tell me about it. Some of those posts after HTDAAB was released were terrible. And the whole "iPod=sellout" scheme of posts...not to mention the fool who suggested that people should protest U2 at the Grammies.

I also love the fact that the majority of the people who made those posts, as well as these, are newbies who've just hopped on board to complain.

Re: Re: Re: Re: You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

KUEFC09U2 said:
because people are just going on about the same thing, not listening to our argument about it being the opening night, and bono needing to warm his voice up for the rest of the tour, rather than just going 100% first night and totally fucking it up, he sounded good to me, plus your other post about starting reharsals earlier, have people suddenly forgot in there selfishness that someone from edges family could still be very ill?

funny how people forget, we should be greatful they are touring at all

You think they are good now, wait a month and they will be kickin' ass.

They have a long history of starting off slow and getting polished weeks into a tour.

Re: Re: Re: Re: You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

KUEFC09U2 said:
because people are just going on about the same thing, not listening to our argument about it being the opening night, and bono needing to warm his voice up for the rest of the tour, rather than just going 100% first night and totally fucking it up, he sounded good to me, plus your other post about starting reharsals earlier, have people suddenly forgot in there selfishness that someone from edges family could still be very ill?

funny how people forget, we should be greatful they are touring at all

:up:

It's very tiring having to read the same negative posts over and over again. I think I'll avoid this section of the forum for a couple of days, it's that ridiculous.

whasjoewahn said:
It just seems like a lack of dedication. I think that is strange. He knows the tour is coming up, so why don´t dig into some old lyrics? And hey... he also wrote them himself! So I think blaming it on the opening night is too easy. Come on these guys have the greatest jobs in the world --> why not being much more prepared??

Awesome statement........... " VERY TRUE " indeed !!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You have to be deaf to think Bono's voice sounded good night 1

GibsonGirl said:

It's very tiring having to read the same negative posts over and over again. I think I'll avoid this section of the forum for a couple of days, it's that ridiculous.
likewise, i joined this forum back in november because it was a fun place to visit and share my love of U2 with like minded people, and now people are just joining to have a moan it seems, i just want to enjoy the ride without hearing "oh bono sounded off, was only the first night but it wasnt so good"

its kinda like the reviews over at u2tours.com

at the point of giving up

Lack of dedication???

WE are lucky for them to even be touring.

Lighten up people!!

They had a tour rehearsal in LA in which fans were allowed in. Halup told me after that they still rehearsed.

Soundcheck for the opener went on for awhile.

I think I will avoid this thread too.

I love U2 and well maybe my positioning on the floor and the excitement I could not hear all of the mistakes. Doesn't matter.

I had a great time and now I"m paying for it. My legs still ache!

MsMofoGone said:

Awesome statement........... " VERY TRUE " indeed !!!!!
please read my post above before agreeing with a comment like that, i dont want to keep going on about it but it seems a small minority have now forgotten about the trouble the band went through to even get this tour on the road,

lets never forget the personal heartache that the edge could still be going through,

stop being so selfish now people, the edge is a hero for even considering touring

yes correct OffAxis....
He has at least 15 years of heavy smoking
We must start a Heavy Campaign here: BONO MUST STOP SMOKING

We want a lot from him, and we want his true voice back
Not the one he thinks...."is back"
We want his true, pure wonderful color voice que gave us years back
And his lower register is nicest. His tenor notes aren't that natural for him, even with Bob's help

So he should use more his baritone voice
(A la With or without you, The Fly, Heartland, Until The End of The World, Ultraviolet, Walk On verses etc)
In HTDAAB he's too high i think
Original of the Species, a masterpice song, its gonna be too hard for him to sing it live
Love and Peace or Else, did he pull it off on Monday?

KUEFC09U2 said:
please read my post above before agreeing with a comment like that, i dont want to keep going on about it but it seems a small minority have now forgotten about the trouble the band went through to even get this tour on the road,

lets never forget the personal heartache that the edge could still be going through,

stop being so selfish now people, the edge is a hero for even considering touring

Selfish???

Paying $160 for a rock show is not being selfish. That's funny. If these shows were free you could make that statement.

I am going to reserve further judgement until after a few more shows.

Last edited:
The OOTS said:

Selfish???

Paying $160 for a rock show is not being selfish. That's funny. If these shows were free you could make that statement.

I am going to reserve further judgement until after a few more shows.
no am talking about the fact that their even touring AT ALL, if edges daughter really is sick, and he has still come on tour thats one brave brave man, and all some people can talk about is bono's voice not being upto it from the first minute, or they didnt bloody move around enough,

i would consider that selfish, as i said you didnt have to pay, you dont have too go, am just bloody honoured that there still touring at all, because i dont know if i could

I'm glad they are touring too. Don't get me wrong.

But, I do believe they could be a little more rehearsed, and it hasn't been just me who thinks so. It was not a oustanding performance but it was not Popmart Las Vegas either.

no but it was a good solid opener, its been said possibly there best opener, and i think the bootleg backs it up, it dosent matter if bono isnt running round he is 44, the music speaks for itself

Why is U2 above criticism? especially constructive criticism?

I thought his voice sounded great!

I love the lyrics that Bono has written. They make the songs just as much as the guitar, drums and bass.

Like I said before, I have no problem with Bono changeing lines etc but it just didn't feel like he knew the songs as well as he should have. This had nothing to do with the rest of the band imho.

Maybe I'm asking too much? More than alot? but I dont think so

I was not there, so maybe I don't have a right to say, but if I wanted everything absolutely perfect and exactly how it was on the CD, I would stay home and listen to the CD.

I want to go to the concert and see the people who made that music, with all of their passion.... and all their flaws.

The fact that is wasn't perfect, would be what made it perfect for me.

Last edited:
Who's asking for absolute perfection.... just try not to forget lyrics to "several songs" is the point people are making. Opening night or not, Bono could have been better that's for sure.

With that said, all these whiners and criticizers should be banned. If you have nothing nice to say about U2 then don't say it or sell your tickets. This is a fan board and it should be discussing the good things in life concerning U2 b/c U2 is the biggest and best band in the world. Since they are the biggest and best band in the world they can make all the mistakes they want. :sad: :lmao:

Flying FuManchu said:
Who's asking for absolute perfection.... just try not to forget lyrics to "several songs" is the point people are making. Opening night or not, Bono could have been better that's for sure.

With that said, all these whiners and criticizers should be banned. If you have nothing nice to say about U2 then don't say it or sell your tickets. This is a fan board and it should be discussing the good things in life concerning U2 b/c U2 is the biggest and best band in the world. Since they are the biggest and best band in the world they can make all the mistakes they want. :sad: :lmao:

I really have to laugh at this thread. It's getting beyond ridiculous with the amount of negativity around here. One person is saying something about Bono's back or the way he sings or the way the setlist is..blah blah blah. Over and over and over again.

It seems like some of you are not satisfied at all with anything! Jeez!

I haven't heard it. But I've read this whole thread, and I'm just disgusted. Are you all oblivious to how hard they had to work just too keep the tour on? Edge's daughter? It's not like they had all the time in the world to rehearse, there were bigger, more important things going on. Edge is a hero for even going on tour. How could you say he isn't?

I'm not coming here for a few days. This just makes me ill.

labell said:
I haven't heard it. But I've read this whole thread, and I'm just disgusted. Are you all oblivious to how hard they had to work just too keep the tour on? Edge's daughter? It's not like they had all the time in the world to rehearse, there were bigger, more important things going on. Edge is a hero for even going on tour. How could you say he isn't?

Somebody said Edge isn;t a here? They should shut up. An ill daughter, makes you sad to think about. However: This has nothing to do with the performance of Bono last Monday. Edge played fucking fantastic and so were Larry and Adam.

I have my doubts when I heared Bono to be honest. Sounded so restrained and if it's to save his voice that's fine but for some reason it didn't sound like that. He sounded like he didn't enjoy himself. I couln't care less about the mistakes he made, he has made millions over the last 25 years but there was always(and also in Las Vegas) some sort of monster growing inside him during concerts. Like"We are here and we are gonna kick ass...3/4 of the band sounded like that. My hero didn't unfortunately

labell said:

Somebody said Edge isn;t a hero? They should shut up. An ill daughter, makes you sad to think about. However: This has nothing to do with the performance of Bono last Monday. Edge played fucking fantastic and so were Larry and Adam.

I have my doubts when I heared Bono to be honest. Sounded so restrained and if it's to save his voice that's fine but for some reason it didn't sound like that. He sounded like he didn't enjoy himself. I couln't care less about the mistakes he made, he has made millions over the last 25 years but there was always(and also in Las Vegas) some sort of monster growing inside him during concerts. Like"We are here and we are gonna kick ass...3/4 of the band sounded like that. My hero didn't unfortunately

zwervers2 said:

Somebody said Edge isn;t a hero? They should shut up. An ill daughter, makes you sad to think about. However: This has nothing to do with the performance of Bono last Monday. Edge played fucking fantastic and so were Larry and Adam.

That said...Yahweh is sung beautiful I think :wink:

Still hate the fly though(the way it was "sung", band rocks here)
:huh:

The OOTS said:
They could have started rehearsals a month earlier and been polished by opening night.

Absolutely ..... I agree !!!!

Everybody knows exactly what Edge was going through regarding
his daughter, Sian, and we were shocked at the fact that she was very sick, and we all prayed for a fast and speedy recovery..
But, if that family illness got in the way of U2's rehearsals, which it probably did, then once Sian got alot better, U2 SHOULD have postponed the tour until they finished rehearsing. Then it would have been possible for them to start a new tour, and we would
not have to think we are "so-ooo lucky" that they're touring,
in the first place... I totally think it's wonderful that Edge is touring now, and I'm happy that Sian IS doing alot better too.. Thank God !!! That is wonderful !! But I agree, with other fans,
What's Mr. B's excuse???? It's true.... Bono needs to get it together ASAP...... I think if you're gonna have the title of BEST rock band in the world, then you should perform the BEST possible... at all times... A few mistakes is "acceptable" for opening night, but ALOT of errors is not... and U2's wrestling match was opening night .... and they better be more aware of this at future gigs, or else..... they may lose their title faster than they can hold on to it , which would be an outright shame..
And before everyone starts to bash back at me..... I really hate
to state this fact, because I am a long-time devoted U2 fan....
It's just really upsetting to read and hear about your favorite
band, not doing such a GREAT tour performance, and that hurts me alot more than you can imagine!!! I really do think that if you're gonna have the "BEST BAND IN THE WORLD" title....
then that's what you should be.... ALWAYS.....NO MATTER WHAT!!

and then we would have had people moaning about is being postponed, and dont say we wouldnt

KUEFC09U2 said:
and then we would have had people moaning about it being postponed, and dont say we wouldnt

That could be true too!!!
But people wouldn't moan, if U2 would give an "outstanding"
concert, and "give the show their all".....
I'd rather have had U2 POSTPONE this tour, and rehearse more,
so they could give the BEST performance possible...... then we
wouldn't continue to hear all the negative reports on the songs
played wrong and on Bono's "worn-out" vocals.....
Face it !! U2 isn't "prepared" for this tour..."plain & simple"!! :sad:

MsMofoGone said:

That could be true too!!!
But people wouldn't moan, if U2 would give an "outstanding"
concert, and "give the show their all".....
I'd rather have had U2 POSTPONE this tour, and rehearse more,
so they could give the BEST performance possible...... then we
wouldn't continue to hear all the negative reports on the songs
played wrong and on Bono's "worn-out" vocals.....
Face it !! U2 isn't "prepared" for this tour..."plain & simple"!! :sad:
well once again i dont agree!!!! people would moan if they got it spot on, then they would be too reharsed, and if you listen to SD 2 then bonos voice is back and he sounds solid and strong, but of course your gonna disagree,

KUEFC09U2 said:
well once again i dont agree!!!! people would moan if they got it spot on, then they would be too rehearsed, and if you listen to SD 2 then bonos voice is back and he sounds solid and strong, but of course your gonna disagree,

I only disagree when it's necessary to do so....
I think the BEST BAND IN THE WORLD should have their concert
performances "up- to- par".... anything less, is NOT ACCEPTABLE!
U2 are "too important" and "too great" of a band, to have
performance mistakes..... The most recent BEST performance was at the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony in New York.
Now "The End Of The World" was done absolutely brilliantly!!!
I also thought that "I Still Haven't Found....." was GREAT because
of the duet with Bono and "The Boss"...... Now see... U2 does
have the "overall potiential" to give "excellent" performances!!!
I just wish their "beginning of tour" concerts would also fall in
this category!!!

Nube Gris said:
"he's voice is not what it should be, its very nasal, with no harmonics at all

so you obviously have no idea what a harmonic is you fuckin idiot, because what you just said there makes no goddam sense. bono still fuckin owns, who cares if he cant hit all the notes perfectly, he's been stretchin for those notes for like 30 years... they wont be there forever

Fuck you! get the fuck out of here....
and what did you said? ........Bono fucking owns what?
His problem is not with hitting the notes, he is on tune 99% of the times, the thing is his voice is dark, rough, restrained, dirty.......so there are no harmonics
A clean, pure voice leads to an harmonic
You dont even know what an harmonic is, so shut the fuck up
And learn how to express yourself you fucking idiot

Back
Top Bottom