MERGED--> Discussions of Bono's voice/microphone/vocals etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nube Gris said:
"always wonder what his voice would sound like today if he had never touched a cigarette.

It's a shame because he was blessed with an absolutely amazing voice in his younger days"

Very True!
What we are hearing is a contaminated voice
I was hearing Bad from Live Aid yesterday, and i was impressed on what a powerful and wonderful voice he had back then
Also was listening to the Sometimes Grammy version and although his singing is full of emotion, he's voice is not what it should be, its very nasal, with no harmonics at all

He may be a better singer now, but his voice is not there

Does he have a vocal trainer?
He needs it, and more so, he must listen to him!
Beacuse the first rule is: No smoking
please sell your ticket if you feel your gonna be dissapointed by his voice, am sure there are thousands out there that would love to go, and actually think he sounds GREAT now

His voice, to me, is in much better shape than the Elevation Tour - he has part of his high range back that was missing during Elevation. Listen to Yahweh from Opening Night - fucking brilliant - when I heard that opening verse, it gave me chills cause Bono is sounding like Bono again

Ok, I agree with you... But still, Bono knows the setlist (the songs they will play that night. Why not going through the lyrics again? I just heared alot of mistakes and hesitation...

whasjoewahn said:
Ok, I agree with you... But still, Bono knows the setlist (the songs they will play that night. Why not going through the lyrics again? I just heared alot of mistakes and hesitation...
actors go through scripts hundreads of times, and still make mistakes, but they have more chances

Desert Dog said:
His voice, to me, is in much better shape than the Elevation Tour - he has part of his high range back that was missing during Elevation. Listen to Yahweh from Opening Night - fucking brilliant - when I heard that opening verse, it gave me chills cause Bono is sounding like Bono again
amen to that, just sounds ALOT stronger

Although I agree that everyone is going overboard--I wonder how I would feel if I lived in SD where maybe the only time I could see them would be opening night..Not everyone gets to go to 2, 3 or 20 shows!

that said, none of this pertains to me so.... :huh:

hey hey..cool down cuef09U2
and sorry but im not gonna sell my ticket...

Bono is one of the greatest singers ever, but the color of his voice is not what it should be.....face it!
Haven't heard Bono yet on this tour, but if he is as good as you are saying, would be great, although i hardly believe it

Would love to hear his 85-93 color voice on this tour

And if not he's still an amazing singer

That's the problem. Mistakes lead to hesitation, which leads to 1/2 assed vocal performance. The Fly is a perfect example of this.

MrBrau1 said:
If he's still doing it in 2 week, it'll be a big problemo.

this is the key...

the fly sucked. anyone who said that bono's performance on the fly was good is just sucking back so much on the u2 kool aid that they can't even recognize a bad performance when they hear one.

that said... it was opening night. everyone forgets the words from time to time. if you watch springsteen's DVD from barcelona, he screws up the words on Spirt In The Night and stops the song, goes back to the begining of the verse and fixes it. quite a funny moment. it happens. bruce is probably the best live perfomer in the world... maybe of all time... and he screws up the lyrics from time to time. :shrug: what'cha gonna do.

if it continues to happen.. then it's an issue. for now, it's a one night fuck up.

Last edited:
But that´s different. Singing a song is so much different than acting, because the music/chords help you remember the lyrics (it kind of floats). And please don´t get me wrong... Of course he´s entitled to make mistakes, I just think it´s strange he made so many.

whasjoewahn said:
But that´s different. Singing a song is so much different than acting, because the music/chords help you remember the lyrics (it kind of floats). And please don´t get me wrong... Of course he´s entitled to make mistakes, I just think it´s strange he made so many.
he also made many when they opend elevation and popmart, but for some reason people are forgetting them and going nuts

Oh and by the way... being kind of upset just shows how much I love these guys haha. The show really rocked!

I hate for my first post to be in this ridiculous thread, but how about this... You haven't played in 3 years, and the last 9 months you have been working day and night to learn the new stuff. At the last minute, you decide to change the set and add a song you hadn't been expecting. Jesus... Anyone here ever give a lecture or a speech before? You screw up the most obvious things because you are so focused on the new and difficult.

Let it be, in a week he'll be perfect (as perfect as Bono ever is).

That said, I thought the worst pooch of the night was someone on the sound board not having Edge's guitar up for the first 5 notes of Vertigo... How could you miss that? Ruined the whole impact point of the song...

Brian:wink:

Imagine if he fucked up One at the lyrical peak of the song:

"But I can't be holding on to what you've got, when all you've got is acrobat."

MrBrau1 said:
Imagine if he fucked up One at the lyrical peak of the song:

"But I can't be holding on to what you've got, when all you've got is acrobat."
LOL now thats funny

Lets face it... the San Diego fans who went to opening night didn't exactly get their money's worth from Bono but it happens. Next time don't bother going to an opening night U2 show or spending money on high priced tickets.

Hell, I hope Bono and co keep making as many mistakes possibble live b/c it adds character and soul to the show... right? :lol:

I wrote this:

I like when Bono makes up some lines etc, or even when he makes mistakes that is fine, but when the songs become totally messed up it gets a little much.

And of course it was openning night and they will get better as they play more.

But, at the same time, if you look at the money people are spending to see them play, couldn't a little more effort be put in?

I would bet that if you were paid as much money as they make you would put forth the effort to know all of the lines of the songs for sure.

This is their job, afterall.

Would it stop me from seeing their concerts? NO

Would it make me dissapointed if i saw that first concert? yes.

Flying FuManchu said:
Lets face it... the San Diego fans who went to opening night didn't exactly get their money's worth from Bono but it happens. Next time don't bother going to an opening night U2 show or spending money on high priced tickets.

Hell, I hope Bono and co keep making as many mistakes possibble live b/c it adds character and soul to the show... right? :lol:

I got my money's worth!! But I didn't expect them to be polished. it's an opener.

I think he's just rusty and needs to warm up.

Have you guys heard the bootleg from Broooklyn bridge? Awesome performance by the B-Man. Is it as good as the Zoo days? No, but it was amazing.

He had an off night, it'll get better.

Infact Mr Brau Bono has fucked up many times on One forgetting entire verses. Sao Paulo Popmart is a good example of this.

RademR said:
I think he's just rusty and needs to warm up.

Have you guys heard the bootleg from Broooklyn bridge? Awesome performance by the B-Man. Is it as good as the Zoo days? No, but it was amazing.

He had an off night, it'll get better.
wouldnt even say it was an off night, on the lyrics yes, but some of the vocals he done were stunning, aka sometimes when he hit that big note again, god help us if he is still abit rusty tonight

No-one is slagging them off as such, it was just un-characteristic of him, that's all. Popmart aside there were a lot of mistakes last night by Bono which doesn't usually happen. I know it was opening night and its never going to be perfect, but i just found it strange.

Most people have still said it was a great gig though, so I think its fair enough.

Flying FuManchu said:

You are good and wise woman... Me, I would be a little disappointed. :shrug:

I couldn't be disappointed.

I made it into the ellipse. I was right in front of Bono slightly between two people.

I have a good view of Edge, Adam and Bono and I had a great time.

I go to concerts to enjoy them not to critique them so if I had a good time that is all that matters.

Plus, when Bono starts doing a growling cat face several times right in front of you, then I'm :drool:

KUEFC09U2 said:
well said that man, but i do notice one thing, the ones who come up with all this moaning, they have like 10 posts to there name

I've noticed this too. Or the supposed "lurkers" who finally come out of hiding just to bitch and moan - even if they weren't at the concert!

You are all complaining about Bono *altering* some of the lyrics. Even if he screwed up, it's opening night - it happens. You claim that if Edge, Adam or Larry did this, it would be a disaster. Guess what - they do! I was at an Elevation concert - after it was in full swing - when Edge screwed up "Walk On" and they had to restart the song. When Bono makes a mistake, it's O.K. because he can just change the words and keep going. When the rest screw up, the song has to start over - and they've done that several times. So don't just be attacking Bono - they are all guilty.

Of course, I bet this will lead to some "The Concert was great but what about Edge?" type of threads in the near future... :sigh:

I think maybe he was just too confident in the older songs that he could do them at a snap.

You can tell he rehearsed hard with the new material, he got all the lyrics down perfect for all those songs...unless I missed something. Even "yahweh", not one of their "possible hits" on the new album, he nailed it.

I think he probably realized he needs to go back and get the older songs down right. It will be a lot better tonight.

doctorwho said:

I've noticed this too. Or the supposed "lurkers" who finally come out of hiding just to bitch and moan - even if they weren't at the concert!

You are all complaining about Bono *altering* some of the lyrics. Even if he screwed up, it's opening night - it happens. You claim that if Edge, Adam or Larry did this, it would be a disaster. Guess what - they do! I was at an Elevation concert - after it was in full swing - when Edge screwed up "Walk On" and they had to restart the song. When Bono makes a mistake, it's O.K. because he can just change the words and keep going. When the rest screw up, the song has to start over - and they've done that several times. So don't just be attacking Bono - they are all guilty.

Of course, I bet this will lead to some "The Concert was great but what about Edge?" type of threads in the near future... :sigh:
doctor who, my peeling off the dollar bills pal, always such a voice of reason

Back
Top Bottom