MERGED--> Discussions of Bono's voice/microphone/vocals etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as he keeps the drinking and cigars down to a minimum he should be okay.

BassTrap82 said:
Well, Mr. The Edge had to sing along very much with Bono...
I don't know if that is a good sign. Like in "City..." :eyebrow: :|

The Edge does have a great voice. Maybe he should just sing all the songs.

BassTrap82 said:
Well, Mr. The Edge had to sing along very much with Bono...
I don't know if that is a good sign. Like in "City..." :eyebrow: :|
just listen to BD was pretty much ALL bono

Bono's voice will only get better.The smoking is one thing he could do without,but he never exactly has a smoke hanging out of his mouth regulary from the photo's i see.He seem's to have lost wait,so i'll guess he's cut the smoke's down in his fitness stage

Originally posted by RademR
he did fuck up a couple songs, especially FLY, and ZOO station. I thought ZOO station was pretty funny actually, but the FLY needs to be taken care of.
There were a couple other songs as well, but like everyone is saying, its opening night.

Then obviously fans shouldn't go to "opening night" U2 concerts!!
Which is a ridiculous statement!!! But it's true... Bono SHOULD have the songs in order (rehearsed) by the time the tour begins, so there ISN'T ALOT of problems that need to be worked out...
( a few problems...OK...understandable...but not ALOT.....)
I heard some of the "opening night" concert on U2exit.com, and
yes, Bono needs to work out ALOT regarding the lyrics and the
"over-all" sound of his voice. It's a shame cuz the "opening night"
fans, didn't get their money's worth... from what I've read in the
reviews... All I can say is Bono better "get it together" before U2 gets to Chicago and New York... or they may not get the
applause they so overly much deserve.....

Bono is a human being..............at some point in someone's life there's always mistakes waiting to happen , no one is perfect ,so what if he messes up ???????We're gonna diss him for it??????? Come on now.............. I've messed up a thousand times and I'm sure u have too.......... shouldnt we be a lil easy on Bono???????

MsMofoGone said:

Which is a ridiculous statement!!! But it's true... Bono SHOULD have the songs in order (rehearsed) by the time the tour begins, so there ISN'T ALOT of problems that need to be worked out...
( a few problems...OK...understandable...but not ALOT.....)
I heard some of the "opening night" concert on U2exit.com, and
yes, Bono needs to work out ALOT regarding the lyrics and the
"over-all" sound of his voice. It's a shame cuz the "opening night"
fans, didn't get their money's worth... from what I've read in the
reviews... All I can say is Bono better "get it together" before U2 gets to Chicago and New York... or they may not get the
applause they so overly much deserve.....
but theres always the good reviews, i dont know why people have lost sight of the fact that even the opening show for elevation, it was pretty much the same type of mistakes,

MsMofoGone said:

Which is a ridiculous statement!!!

i think it's all common sense actually....

first night = rust.
a week in = getting into your rhythm as a band.

makes sense to me. People act like they were shit the other night, they were amazing and it sounded like a great concert.

claytons edge said:
Bono's voice will only get better.The smoking is one thing he could do without,but he never exactly has a smoke hanging out of his mouth regulary from the photo's i see.He seem's to have lost wait,so i'll guess he's cut the smoke's down in his fitness stage

My understanding is the supposed 'voice' problems he wqas having on the Elevation tour convinced him to quit smoking and he has done so. I think he gives that partial credit for getting his voice back. Of course, he gives most of the credit to Bob.

Who said he forgot them? I just assumed he wanted to put a new twist to some songs we've been hearing for a while. That's part of the appeal of a live concert - hearing something unique being played live in front of you. I thought it was cool to have to listen extra close to hear the lyrics he was singing rather than just knowing what was coming.

I always wonder what his voice would sound like today if he had never touched a cigarette.

It's a shame because he was blessed with an absolutely amazing voice in his younger days.

october36 said:
Bono's voice needs :help:

it was painful to listen to at times:sad:
i fuckin give up, am assuming you was round for popmart? that was IMO the worst bono has sounded, great tour, great bono, but his voice wasnt so great, but now, its ALOT stronger than elevation and popmart

oh and one more thing, i love the ones that come on here, have only posted like 1 message, as if they just joined to have a good moan

God in heaven, I just want to see them. Fuck ups and all. If they had done everything perfect some would complain they were too rehearsed.
Careful what you wish for because there will come a day we will never hear/see them "live" again. (except on dvd, etc):sad:

KUEFC09U2 said:
i fuckin give up, am assuming you was round for popmart? that was IMO the worst bono has sounded, great tour, great bono, but his voice wasnt so great, but now, its ALOT stronger than elevation and popmart

we've all got our opinions (which we're quite entitled to) some people thought he sounded great on Beautiful Day etc.. I thought he sounded like he was starting the 50th night not the 1st

Get the fucking sticks out of your asses....the bullshit that flows on this site is unfuckingreal.

Bono's voice will never be the same again. There will be no more Achtung Baby voice (in my opinion his peak in terms of voice).

Since Pop his voice is getting worst. Even during Pop Mart we could see that his voice was not the same.

Is the age the reason? Don't know. It could be the cigarettes.

But what is fact either is that he has developed a new way of singing. He doesn't have already the big "voice explosions" from the 80's, or the warm and soft and equally powerfull voice from Achtung Baby era.
He has adapted his way of sing with his limits. Although there are times that he goes too far and it seems his voice is gonna blow.

Yahweh said:
Get the fucking sticks out of your asses....the bullshit that flows on this site is unfuckingreal.
well said that man, but i do notice one thing, the ones who come up with all this moaning, they have like 10 posts to there name

Yeah, Bono sucks.

The Edge sucks.

Adam sucks.

Larry sucks.

U2 sucks.

But they are still the best damn live band in the world.

Are you refering to me,kuefco9u2.I'm not having a moan,i think bono's voice is incredible at the moment and please tell me you support liverpool and not the other bunch.

It just seems like a lack of dedication. I sang in a coverband and I had to sing 35 songs an evening. Of course I sometimes made some mistakes, but not as much as Bono did last night. And I think that is strange. He knows the tour is coming up, so why don´t dig into some old lyrics? And hey... he also wrote them himselve! So I think blaming it on the opening night is too easy. Common these guys have the greatest jobs in the world --> why not being much more prepared??

october36 said:
Bono's voice needs :help:

it was painful to listen to at times:sad:

Agree 100 % % % ........ Definitely needs H E L P !!

Bono better go back to using that "gargle" spray ... he used during the Elevation tour... That was one remedy that saved his vocals from totally "cashing in" around the middle of that tour....
Hopefully he will "get it together" within a week or so....
I would hate to think he will sound this bad the whole tour.....
If he does, the audiences in the "big market" arenas....
(Chicago / New York) will not give U2 the applause they deserve.

Man a lot of people on interference bitch way too much. I agree that his voice was not the greatest and he screwed up some lyrics, THEY HAVN'T PLAYED A FULL LENGTH LIVE SHOW IN 3 YEARS AND IT'S OPENING NIGHT. Everyone should calm the fuck down and be thankful their touring. If I can remember this time last year Bono farting in a bar in Dublin would make it into the news on interference. So be thankful their back on tour they'll get the kinks out it'll just take a few shows. Jesus H.

"always wonder what his voice would sound like today if he had never touched a cigarette.

It's a shame because he was blessed with an absolutely amazing voice in his younger days"

Very True!
What we are hearing is a contaminated voice
I was hearing Bad from Live Aid yesterday, and i was impressed on what a powerful and wonderful voice he had back then
Also was listening to the Sometimes Grammy version and although his singing is full of emotion, he's voice is not what it should be, its very nasal, with no harmonics at all

He may be a better singer now, but his voice is not there

Does he have a vocal trainer?
He needs it, and more so, he must listen to him!
Beacuse the first rule is: No smoking

First of all bands dont like listening to themselves so therefore it would be easy for Bono to forget lyrics....

He has stated many times he hates listening to U2 records because he always finds something to improve upon, so you being in a cover band is totally different, you have probably heard the songs way more then the band themselves, and all you are doing is emulating the album or the live performance you have seen...that is much easier then trying to make something new out of something old.

claytons edge said:
Are you refering to me,kuefco9u2.I'm not having a moan,i think bono's voice is incredible at the moment and please tell me you support liverpool and not the other bunch.
nope am not referring to you :), just the people that are going on and on about how bad it is bla bla, and i support everton ;-)

Back
Top Bottom