many pics of meeting bono saturday and monday (you may be in here) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > Fan Experiences and Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:30 AM
many pics of meeting bono saturday and monday (you may be in here)

Hey there everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. i went to chicago saturday and monday. i didn't have tickets to the shows, but i wanted to try and meet them. i got there and security was super cool and told us where to go to wait. i met some awesome people while waiting. finally bono showed up. thankfully my sister was with and since she wasnt a big fan, she video taped the whole thing for me... so if any of you guys were there sat and mon and think you were taped by me, you're probably right, let me know if you want footage/pics.. anyway, he talked to this girl first, whom i think played guitar with them the other night...

then signed a few more things. and let me tell you, saturday there was hardly anyone there.. this is bono right after he signed a mag for me.

here he is with some fans, and he signed a painting this woman did of him, then he gave her a kiss. it was really cute.

i think by monday word got out what hotel they were at, so people swarmed there.
and there were probably 5x as many people at the loading dock. and at the last minute 4 camera crews showed up and stood in front of every one.

the edge came in first i think, then larry. the edge shook hands with fans. he came over and shook mine, asked how i was...

when bono showed up people flipped out.

and this gal was cute. she was talking to bono and was very intense. he listened to every word and made his security guard take a pic of them.

my request... bono gave me the best hug ever, and all i have from it is the view from my camera, which isn't us at all.. i know a ton of people were taking pics and video. if any of you have pics of me (the redhead) send them my way. please!!! joeperry924@aol.com

Old 05-11-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 05:30 AM

I think that's Edgette from Pleba

Old 05-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Babyface

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Nice pictures! Your sister did a great job with that cam.

Did she capture Bono doing a handshake then signing my right shirtsleeve on Saturday (fellow in Elevation T-shirt by fence)? There's a brief moment on Monday when My wife and I were in the larger crowd, by the fence (black T shirt and grey T shirt saying hello to the Edge) -- if you have that on tape, we would be so apreciative if you could send us a copy. Will you e-mail us at dredcrown01@wmconnect.com? Thanks for the kind offer!

Dreamin' Out Loud,
Phil
Old 05-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Babyface

What time does the band generally come to United Center for soundcheck? When do you think it will be for Thursday's concert?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Babyface

Local Time: 09:30 AM
They've been showing up around 2:30 to 2:45 in the afternoons so far. You know they're close when the security personnel perk up. The vehicle blocking the entrance moves out of the way, folks start chattering on radios, and then the U2 vehicles show up. The experience is like feeding sparrows - if everyone is calm and stays on the sidewalk, the band members come out to say hello, but if the crowd goes wild, then the security guys shut the gathering down.

so far, so good - I think the U2 fans are a special breed of cool. We all get excited, but no one is going nuts and snipping hair as happened to the Beatles years ago...

Phil
Old 05-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 04:30 AM
Erin - could you post a picture of yourself so I can see if I got you in any of my shots on Monday?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
The Fly

I am the girl with the curly red hair in the pic with bono. i'd love any pics people can find.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

I think that's Edgette from Pleba

Yeah, that would be me. What sort of face is that?

Thanks for the pics.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Edgette

Yeah, that would be me. What sort of face is that?

Thanks for the pics.
What are you doing here?? Get back in line!

Great pics!! I recognize most of these people! The first girl IS Laura, who was pulled up on stage Monday and Tuesday.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
The Fly

monday and tuesday? wow, how'd you manage that?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
musicidalist

Oh, I didnt know that was you Edgette...

Saw you a few times... and of course on the Red Eye thingy
Old 05-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

When Bono INSISTS on taking a picture with you, you know that you've just really touched his Heart.

Especially when, on that day, Bono said he didn't have time to take pics and then made John Sampson take their pic!

BONO IS THE BEST....
Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Re: many pics of meeting bono saturday and monday (you may be in here)

Quote:
Originally posted by xERINx
That is Laura who played onstage on 5/9 and 5/10. I think she's looking at her own camera in this pic b/c she shows me a nice picture on her digicam.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
I am the girl with the curly red hair in the pic with bono. i'd love any pics people can find.
Nah, sorry, didn't get any with you obviously in them.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:04 AM   #15
The Fly

Bono Listened to My Button

Quote:
[B]

and this gal was cute. she was talking to bono and was very intense. he listened to every word and made his security guard take a pic of them.

There's a bit of a story behind that picture. I was right next to that woman, her name is Debbie. Before Bono came I was just keeping to myself when I heard a woman saying "I have to get this book to Bono." This woman was Debbie. Some people were ignoring her but the way she was talking it seemed like this book was very important. So I asked Debbie (who at the time I didn't know) what was so important about the book.

She told me that it was John Lewis' book and he had written a message for Bono in it. Now if you don't know who John Lewis is I would recommend going to find out. He's connected to Dr Martin Luther King Jr and civil rights movements.

She had recently met John Lewis and had him sign his book for Bono. Turns out that a bit before Debbie met John Lewis that he had recieved a nice birthday card and email from Bono and wanted to thank him. So Debbie told him well write a message in the book and that would be a good way to thank Bono. So he did.

After Debbie told be her story I knew that this book needed to get to Bono. I told Debbie I would do what I could so she could deliver the book to Bono.

When Bono came the crowd went crazy. I really didn't think Bono would get out because the crowd was terribly misbehaving. But suprisingly he did. People were pushing and shoving and I was pushing 'cutters' out of the way. I was on the opposite side of where Bono got out of his car. I really didn't think he would make it over by Debbie and I.

Next thing I know Bono starts heading over to us. He was about 15ft away from me and then pointed towards me and started walking my way. Then as he got closer I heard Bono say "I want to listen to your button." I was wearing a John Lennon Listen to this Button pin. I was in shock but quickly composed myself because I heard Debbie franticly saying "I need to get this book to him" So then as Bono was coming towards me I pulled Debbie forwards and said basically along the lines of "No Bono you need to listen to this woman."

Bono gave me the strangest look. He was very confused. I just freakin told Bono "No." He looked at me again and then Debbie and then Debbie told her story. Bono was extremly grateful. When talking about John Lewis he said "I'm a student of his" and some other things I can't quite remember. So Bono pulled Debbie from the crowd so she could get a picture with him.

At this time people were shoving even harder and I was getting lost in the crowd. When Bono was finished talking with Debbie he came over to me. He asked me "How do you know this woman?" I said "I don't I just met her" He replied "Thank you very much for what you did, it means a lot, now I want to listen to your button" First he signed my war t-shirt I had in my hand then he approached me and bent down and put his ear to my chest where I had my button pinned to my jacket.

Bono stood there completly still and completly silent for at least a minute. Then he slowly pulled away and said "That's the best button I've ever listened to".

I was stunned I couldn't believe what just happened. That moment trancended all time. It was as though Bono was listening for John Lennon to tell him something. He was listening with all his heart. I could't hear any of the crowd noise, it seemed to have just disappeared and everything was calm and silent. I've always felt Bono and John Lennon were kindred spirits and that moment confirmed that.

I'm kicking myself now because I was so shocked what just happened that I forgot to ask Bono what he heard.

Here are two pictures a friend of mine wis kind enough to take. The first one is when Bono signed my shirt and the second one is of Bono 'listening' to my button.

B

Old 05-12-2005, 02:02 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:30 PM
Re: Bono Listened to My Button

That is the most amazing thing I've read all day. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:18 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 07:30 PM
wow. that is an amazing story!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:26 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Re: Bono Listened to My Button

Quote:
Originally posted by beezd26
I was stunned I couldn't believe what just happened. That moment trancended all time. It was as though Bono was listening for John Lennon to tell him something. He was listening with all his heart. I could't hear any of the crowd noise, it seemed to have just disappeared and everything was calm and silent. I've always felt Bono and John Lennon were kindred spirits and that moment confirmed that.

This is so amazing! And you also got a great picture of that transcendent moment!
I don't know what else to say except thank you for sharing.

We can even see the blue in his eye
Old 05-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:30 PM
That's such a great story

John Lennon and Bono - I guess Bono did take over the baton in a way after John died. Never thought of it like that before.

Thanks so much for this story and more power (good karma) to you.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:20 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:30 AM
Re: Re: Bono Listened to My Button

Quote:
Originally posted by evieangelique
That is the most amazing thing I've read all day. Thank you so much for sharing.