many pics of meeting bono saturday and monday (you may be in here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xERINx

The Fly
Hey there everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. i went to chicago saturday and monday. i didn't have tickets to the shows, but i wanted to try and meet them. i got there and security was super cool and told us where to go to wait. i met some awesome people while waiting. finally bono showed up. thankfully my sister was with and since she wasnt a big fan, she video taped the whole thing for me... so if any of you guys were there sat and mon and think you were taped by me, you're probably right, let me know if you want footage/pics.. anyway, he talked to this girl first, whom i think played guitar with them the other night...
T520050511073931625.jpg

then signed a few more things. and let me tell you, saturday there was hardly anyone there.. this is bono right after he signed a mag for me.
T520050507165905385.jpg

T520050511072458723.jpg

here he is with some fans, and he signed a painting this woman did of him, then he gave her a kiss. it was really cute.
T520050511071527374.jpg

T52005051107283113.jpg

T520050511073205345.jpg

i think by monday word got out what hotel they were at, so people swarmed there.
and there were probably 5x as many people at the loading dock. and at the last minute 4 camera crews showed up and stood in front of every one.

the edge came in first i think, then larry. the edge shook hands with fans. he came over and shook mine, asked how i was...
T520050511065636170.jpg

T520050509174626716.jpg

when bono showed up people flipped out.
T520050509174952371.jpg

and this gal was cute. she was talking to bono and was very intense. he listened to every word and made his security guard take a pic of them.
T520050511073603118.jpg

my request... bono gave me the best hug ever, and all i have from it is the view from my camera, which isn't us at all.. i know a ton of people were taking pics and video. if any of you have pics of me (the redhead) send them my way. please!!! joeperry924@aol.com

Nice pictures! Your sister did a great job with that cam.

Did she capture Bono doing a handshake then signing my right shirtsleeve on Saturday (fellow in Elevation T-shirt by fence)? There's a brief moment on Monday when My wife and I were in the larger crowd, by the fence (black T shirt and grey T shirt saying hello to the Edge) -- if you have that on tape, we would be so apreciative if you could send us a copy. Will you e-mail us at dredcrown01@wmconnect.com? Thanks for the kind offer!

Dreamin' Out Loud,
Phil

Last edited:
They've been showing up around 2:30 to 2:45 in the afternoons so far. You know they're close when the security personnel perk up. The vehicle blocking the entrance moves out of the way, folks start chattering on radios, and then the U2 vehicles show up. The experience is like feeding sparrows - if everyone is calm and stays on the sidewalk, the band members come out to say hello, but if the crowd goes wild, then the security guys shut the gathering down.

so far, so good - I think the U2 fans are a special breed of cool. We all get excited, but no one is going nuts and snipping hair as happened to the Beatles years ago...

Phil

Erin - could you post a picture of yourself so I can see if I got you in any of my shots on Monday?

Last edited:
I am the girl with the curly red hair in the pic with bono. i'd love any pics people can find.

Edgette said:

:lol:

Yeah, that would be me. What sort of face is that?

Thanks for the pics. :wave:
What are you doing here?? Get back in line! :wink:

Great pics!! I recognize most of these people! The first girl IS Laura, who was pulled up on stage Monday and Tuesday. :D

Oh, I didnt know that was you Edgette...

Saw you a few times... and of course on the Red Eye thingy :wave:

When Bono INSISTS on taking a picture with you, you know that you've just really touched his Heart.

Especially when, on that day, Bono said he didn't have time to take pics and then made John Sampson take their pic!

BONO IS THE BEST....:wink:

xERINx said:

That is Laura who played onstage on 5/9 and 5/10. I think she's looking at her own camera in this pic b/c she shows me a nice picture on her digicam.

Last edited:
Bono Listened to My Button

xERINx said:

and this gal was cute. she was talking to bono and was very intense. he listened to every word and made his security guard take a pic of them.
T520050511073603118.jpg

There's a bit of a story behind that picture. I was right next to that woman, her name is Debbie. Before Bono came I was just keeping to myself when I heard a woman saying "I have to get this book to Bono." This woman was Debbie. Some people were ignoring her but the way she was talking it seemed like this book was very important. So I asked Debbie (who at the time I didn't know) what was so important about the book.

She told me that it was John Lewis' book and he had written a message for Bono in it. Now if you don't know who John Lewis is I would recommend going to find out. He's connected to Dr Martin Luther King Jr and civil rights movements.

She had recently met John Lewis and had him sign his book for Bono. Turns out that a bit before Debbie met John Lewis that he had recieved a nice birthday card and email from Bono and wanted to thank him. So Debbie told him well write a message in the book and that would be a good way to thank Bono. So he did.

After Debbie told be her story I knew that this book needed to get to Bono. I told Debbie I would do what I could so she could deliver the book to Bono.

When Bono came the crowd went crazy. I really didn't think Bono would get out because the crowd was terribly misbehaving. But suprisingly he did. People were pushing and shoving and I was pushing 'cutters' out of the way. I was on the opposite side of where Bono got out of his car. I really didn't think he would make it over by Debbie and I.

Next thing I know Bono starts heading over to us. He was about 15ft away from me and then pointed towards me and started walking my way. Then as he got closer I heard Bono say "I want to listen to your button." I was wearing a John Lennon Listen to this Button pin. I was in shock but quickly composed myself because I heard Debbie franticly saying "I need to get this book to him" So then as Bono was coming towards me I pulled Debbie forwards and said basically along the lines of "No Bono you need to listen to this woman."

Bono gave me the strangest look. He was very confused. I just freakin told Bono "No." He looked at me again and then Debbie and then Debbie told her story. Bono was extremly grateful. When talking about John Lewis he said "I'm a student of his" and some other things I can't quite remember. So Bono pulled Debbie from the crowd so she could get a picture with him.

At this time people were shoving even harder and I was getting lost in the crowd. When Bono was finished talking with Debbie he came over to me. He asked me "How do you know this woman?" I said "I don't I just met her" He replied "Thank you very much for what you did, it means a lot, now I want to listen to your button" First he signed my war t-shirt I had in my hand then he approached me and bent down and put his ear to my chest where I had my button pinned to my jacket.

Bono stood there completly still and completly silent for at least a minute. Then he slowly pulled away and said "That's the best button I've ever listened to".

I was stunned I couldn't believe what just happened. That moment trancended all time. It was as though Bono was listening for John Lennon to tell him something. He was listening with all his heart. I could't hear any of the crowd noise, it seemed to have just disappeared and everything was calm and silent. I've always felt Bono and John Lennon were kindred spirits and that moment confirmed that.

I'm kicking myself now because I was so shocked what just happened that I forgot to ask Bono what he heard.

Here are two pictures a friend of mine wis kind enough to take. The first one is when Bono signed my shirt and the second one is of Bono 'listening' to my button.

B

Bono-and-me.jpg

Bono-listening.jpg

Re: Bono Listened to My Button

beezd26 said:
I was stunned I couldn't believe what just happened. That moment trancended all time. It was as though Bono was listening for John Lennon to tell him something. He was listening with all his heart. I could't hear any of the crowd noise, it seemed to have just disappeared and everything was calm and silent. I've always felt Bono and John Lennon were kindred spirits and that moment confirmed that.

:shocked: This is so amazing! And you also got a great picture of that transcendent moment!
I don't know what else to say except thank you for sharing.

We can even see the blue in his eye :faint:

That's such a great story :)

John Lennon :heart: and Bono :heart: - I guess Bono did take over the baton in a way after John died. Never thought of it like that before.

Thanks so much for this story and more power (good karma) to you. :)

Re: Bono Listened to My Button

beezd26 said:

There's a bit of a story behind that picture. I was right next to that woman, her name is Debbie. Before Bono came I was just keeping to myself when I heard a woman saying "I have to get this book to Bono." This woman was Debbie. Some people were ignoring her but the way she was talking it seemed like this book was very important. So I asked Debbie (who at the time I didn't know) what was so important about the book.

She told me that it was John Lewis' book and he had written a message for Bono in it. Now if you don't know who John Lewis is I would recommend going to find out. He's connected to Dr Martin Luther King Jr and civil rights movements.

She had recently met John Lewis and had him sign his book for Bono. Turns out that a bit before Debbie met John Lewis that he had recieved a nice birthday card and email from Bono and wanted to thank him. So Debbie told him well write a message in the book and that would be a good way to thank Bono. So he did.

After Debbie told be her story I knew that this book needed to get to Bono. I told Debbie I would do what I could so she could deliver the book to Bono.

When Bono came the crowd went crazy. I really didn't think Bono would get out because the crowd was terribly misbehaving. But suprisingly he did. People were pushing and shoving and I was pushing 'cutters' out of the way. I was on the opposite side of where Bono got out of his car. I really didn't think he would make it over by Debbie and I.

Next thing I know Bono starts heading over to us. He was about 15ft away from me and then pointed towards me and started walking my way. Then as he got closer I heard Bono say "I want to listen to your button." I was wearing a John Lennon Listen to this Button pin. I was in shock but quickly composed myself because I heard Debbie franticly saying "I need to get this book to him" So then as Bono was coming towards me I pulled Debbie forwards and said basically along the lines of "No Bono you need to listen to this woman."

Bono gave me the strangest look. He was very confused. I just freakin told Bono "No." He looked at me again and then Debbie and then Debbie told her story. Bono was extremly grateful. When talking about John Lewis he said "I'm a student of his" and some other things I can't quite remember. So Bono pulled Debbie from the crowd so she could get a picture with him.

At this time people were shoving even harder and I was getting lost in the crowd. When Bono was finished talking with Debbie he came over to me. He asked me "How do you know this woman?" I said "I don't I just met her" He replied "Thank you very much for what you did, it means a lot, now I want to listen to your button" First he signed my war t-shirt I had in my hand then he approached me and bent down and put his ear to my chest where I had my button pinned to my jacket.

Bono stood there completly still and completly silent for at least a minute. Then he slowly pulled away and said "That's the best button I've ever listened to".

I'm kicking myself now because I was so shocked what just happened that I forgot to ask Bono what he heard.

Here are two pictures a friend of mine wis kind enough to take. The first one is when Bono signed my shirt and the second one is of Bono 'listening' to my button.

B

Bono-and-me.jpg

Bono-listening.jpg

WOW WOW AND WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A GREAT STORY! :ohmy::bow: :applaud: CONGRATS AND U ARE A TRUELY WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING..! That was a great thing you did and I commend you for that! U2 fans are truely the best cuz they emulate the very soul of who U2 are. I really believe that and its why I grow and grow to be a even bigger fan of the band as the days go by. I am sure Debbie will remember that moment and you forever!....

Wow, that's an awesome story. I love reading things like this. That's what U2 fans are supposed to be all about, not pushing and shoving. Thanks for sharing that story :)

This is the reason I hang out at interference. There are so many wonderful experiences out there. Fantastic story and pictures.:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom