Manchester 14-06-05 terrible crowd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irishkeet

Babyface
Hey all
U2 were getting warmed up last night for night two (I hope!)

The band seemed a bit stiff but the crowd were TERRIBLE
We were 5 rows from the front with people (SAD people) moaning about getting their elbows knocked
The atmosphere was terrible

Lets see what happens tonight

I thought the band were excellent, they sounded great. But I agree, I thought the crowd were a bit sedated. I hope Glasgow is better.

where i was standing everyone was going nuts! honestly really crazy! in fact it was the best atmosphere i have been in!

I was first stood with my girlfriend about 5 or 6 rows from the front and had a group of annoying Burnley supporters.. who then proceeded to cause an argument with another group of loudmouth ... "people" We couldn't see a thing where we were stood, so we went and sat on the unreserved seats and got a brilliant view of everything. From where i was stood the crowd looked absolutly amazing although i must say the right hand side of it looked pretty miserable but the left side looked fantastic.

It was my first U2 concert and probably one of the best concerts i have been to, the crowd may not have been 'lively' but it was an incredibly powerful and emotional performance... For us anyway!

Lo-Fi said:
I thought the band were excellent, they sounded great. But I agree, I thought the crowd were a bit sedated. I hope Glasgow is better.

I think you can pretty much guarentee the crowd in Glasgow will be better:wink:

I also think the high ticket prices are a factor in the more sedate crowds - the younger, shall we say, more energetic gig goer is practically priced out of going at the expense of boring old farts (I'm getting there myself). Having said that, the boy in front of me in Germany on Sunday was half my age and never moved a muscle for 2 hours - despite me jumping about like an idiot for 2 hours.

Been to many stadium shows in my time to see Simple Minds and have to say last nights crowd was the worst i have EVER seen, i just can't describe the lack of atmosphere that great stadium had.

I thought the early start due to the regulations spoiled the atmosphere as the light show was pointless until the ZOO t.v. encores.The band played superb.

We arrived early even tho we had seats, but a lot of the seating was empty until after both support bands were done (Snow Patrol were great).
We watched the standing crowd from above and certainly someone (stewards?) was handing out access to the "bomb shelter" randomly. Someone in U2 has to sort that out for the other gigs - it ain't fair!
So maybe that didn't help the atmosphere, which was weird. U2 were totally fired up and Bono grinned a lot. But the crowd was mute for much of the time then suddenly would spark - so WOWY and Pride were sung by 50.00 voices with the band, but otherwise even Streets was quiet. Couldn't understand it myself.

I'm sure the early finish and light night was a major factor. Come back to Leeds next time, fellas.

let me repeat where i was standing the atmosphere was electric with everyone going nuts! about 5-10 people back from the barrier centre/adam side

ramblin rose said:
Not that it's relevant, but just out curiousity how was the crowd around you, andyuk?
i know you didnt ask me rose, but thought i would tell you what the crowd was like where i stood lol, they were nuts, halfway back by the sound desk, EVERYONE i could see where dancing, singing, jumping and just having a great time, everyone i seen walking out had massive smiles

KUEFC09U2 said:
i know you didnt ask me rose, but thought i would tell you what the crowd was like where i stood lol, they were nuts, halfway back by the sound desk, EVERYONE i could see where dancing, singing, jumping and just having a great time, everyone i seen walking out had massive smiles

It's funny, I was thinking about you yesterday. I wasn't sure you were going to the gig, but when I noticed that you weren't posting I imagined you were there.

Sounds like you have a good time, and I'm glad. Are you going to any other of the UK shows?

ramblin rose said:

It's funny, I was thinking about you yesterday. I wasn't sure you were going to the gig, but when I noticed that you weren't posting I imagined you were there.

Sounds like you have a good time, and I'm glad. Are you going to any other of the UK shows?
hoping to get to cardiff, although thats not certain at the minute, with work commitments

this is why it's dangerous to generalize a crowd as a whole, especially in a stadium. just because where you were standing, the crowd may have been lame, doesn't mean the entire stadium was that way.

The crowd was awesome where I was (in the centre, right up against the left B-stage (which I am now referring to as the Edge-and-Adam zone, because they practically LIVED there and it was awesome!). I thought it was quite lively throughout, though I may just be saying that because it was my first-ever show and I was pretty much off my head with happiness the whole night.

I sang along with everything (I think I confused the chap next to me because I was singing harmonies sometimes as well) and danced like crazy and forgot all the crud that happened with GA wristbanding and how much my feet ached from waiting outside and all of it. The band was brilliant, and I wouldn't trade this 'first show,' warts and all, for anything. I can't even explain what it meant to me to really finally see them - but then again, that's the beauty of Interference - I don't have to.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who posts info about show times and procedures and what not - it makes the experience so much easier when you know what to expect. Love to you all!

glad in a funny sort of way that a fair few others are confirming what I thought of the crowd.

Area I was in was pretty poor. Even had someone complaining at me at one point for what was no more than my arm nudging into his back occasionally (must of expected that you get loads of room in 50,000plus crowds).

Nowhere near enough interaction at the times when Bono needed / wanted it.

Hope and expect the crowd in Glasgow next tuesday to be a lot better.

WASTID said:
glad in a funny sort of way that a fair few others are confirming what I thought of the crowd.

Area I was in was pretty poor. Even had someone complaining at me at one point for what was no more than my arm nudging into his back occasionally (must of expected that you get loads of room in 50,000plus crowds).

Nowhere near enough interaction at the times when Bono needed / wanted it.

Hope and expect the crowd in Glasgow next tuesday to be a lot better.

I agree really enjoyed the band, but having seen them on other occasions there was a difference. most around me did not appear to recognise RTSS,(I laughed when I was the only one clapping to the opening) thats no crime, but some NOT ALL didn't really seem in to it, why pay to see them then? I hope this was an exception. the crowd vibe is important to the whole though even having said all that I would still have gone same gig again!

I had a fantastic day i even enjoyed queueing from 10.30 as there was a good atmosphere amongst the fans around gate Y
even though a few people were worried that they would'nt get the wristband,what did dissapoint was the attitude of some fans down the front who stood like statues and even frowned upon my friend and myself jumping up and down like mad for the entire show (not bad for 2 thirty somethings).Anyway the show was brilliant and i can't agree with some of the comments about the band being a bit off.Roll on the next European tour.

The crowd was certainly restrained and I think the problem is U2 have been around so long that alot of fans are in their late 30s/40s and even 50s now, need I say more. Im 37 and been into U2 since 1983.

I think the venue didnt particularly help. Crap, you couldnt get near enough to the stage, too many restrictions. I was at the first load of barriers directly opposite the stage. The people in front of us next to the stage had a load of room, it was weird almost like being separated from the real action.

Didnt stop me having a FANTASTIC night!!!

I was in the the first load of barriers (not going into the wrist band saga) but it did feel wierd i was able to run around freely getting any position i wanted, ive never been able to do that at any gig ive been to, it was very strange but good, the mood in general where i was, was spot on, but it felt more like a disco than a gig because a lot of us were dancing rather than jumping up and down, SURREAL!!! :wink:

I didn't think Man1 was that bad, but Man2 was absolutely electric, especially in the "bomb shelter". Just wait til Vertigo hits Hampden.........we really know how to enjoy ourselves up here:wink:

dublin too will have an elctric atmosphere. was disapointed at manchester 2, although the atmosphere really picked up with still havent found... and the great singalong.
daylight doesnt help build excitement and anticipation though. it seemed like the band just walked on out of the blue. this curfew stuff is a bit too stalinesque for my liking. its an industrial area - why not 11.30?
overall turned into a great gig, and the band seemed genuinely to be enjoying themselves which is a good sign.
inside the ellipse i was goin mad esp for electric co and people told me to calm down!
told them all to f*** off!
thought you northeners knew how to party!
they're worse in london though. saw earls court in 2001 and the crowd spoiled it for me.

I was at both, Manchester2 was a huge improvement over #1, I think there were just far less angry people around about the whole wristband scenario. Manchester2 was the best concert I've ever been too, one of the best days of my life, but I was on the Clayton side of the runway on night 1, about 3 rows back and it we were the only ones around who seemed to be really into it, especially kudos to the guy right behind me who started 6 of us singing 'How long to sing this song' for 5 minutes after Vertigo.

From interviews and articles, it sounds like U2 want the crowd to be energized, esp. up front. If they're just standing there looking bored, then Bono should tell them to 'wake up' in his own way. I don't know how some people would respond, but I know I wouldn't want Bono thinking my city is just a bunch of lazy prudes.

people do need to relise that people enjoy concerts in totally different ways, some might want to jump up and down, some might just want to stand there, take it all in and enjoy the spectacle

KUEFC09U2 said:
people do need to relise that people enjoy concerts in totally different ways, some might want to jump up and down, some might just want to stand there, take it all in and enjoy the spectacle

Hear hear! I've got so little cartilidge left in my knee (surgery) that if I bounce up and down, I might not make it out of the downward bounce LOL.

I'll STILL enjoy Glasgow tho and still be shouting and singing like a maniac, but just not as animated as I once was.

Some people go nuts, some people stand there in an almost 'awe' like state and I'll be bouncy from the waist upwards - we're all different at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom