Manchester 14-06-05 terrible crowd - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > Fan Experiences and Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Manchester 14-06-05 terrible crowd

Hey all
U2 were getting warmed up last night for night two (I hope!)

The band seemed a bit stiff but the crowd were TERRIBLE
We were 5 rows from the front with people (SAD people) moaning about getting their elbows knocked
The atmosphere was terrible

Lets see what happens tonight

Old 06-15-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 05:31 PM
I thought the band were excellent, they sounded great. But I agree, I thought the crowd were a bit sedated. I hope Glasgow is better.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
Refugee

where i was standing everyone was going nuts! honestly really crazy! in fact it was the best atmosphere i have been in!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
Babyface

I was first stood with my girlfriend about 5 or 6 rows from the front and had a group of annoying Burnley supporters.. who then proceeded to cause an argument with another group of loudmouth ... "people" We couldn't see a thing where we were stood, so we went and sat on the unreserved seats and got a brilliant view of everything. From where i was stood the crowd looked absolutly amazing although i must say the right hand side of it looked pretty miserable but the left side looked fantastic.

It was my first U2 concert and probably one of the best concerts i have been to, the crowd may not have been 'lively' but it was an incredibly powerful and emotional performance... For us anyway!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
Refugee

crowd was really lively where i was!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Lo-Fi
I thought the band were excellent, they sounded great. But I agree, I thought the crowd were a bit sedated. I hope Glasgow is better.
I think you can pretty much guarentee the crowd in Glasgow will be better

I also think the high ticket prices are a factor in the more sedate crowds - the younger, shall we say, more energetic gig goer is practically priced out of going at the expense of boring old farts (I'm getting there myself). Having said that, the boy in front of me in Germany on Sunday was half my age and never moved a muscle for 2 hours - despite me jumping about like an idiot for 2 hours.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:15 AM   #7
Babyface

Been to many stadium shows in my time to see Simple Minds and have to say last nights crowd was the worst i have EVER seen, i just can't describe the lack of atmosphere that great stadium had.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
War Child

The GA admission to the front of the stage didnt help matters.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:00 AM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 06:31 PM
I thought the early start due to the regulations spoiled the atmosphere as the light show was pointless until the ZOO t.v. encores.The band played superb.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #10
The Fly

We arrived early even tho we had seats, but a lot of the seating was empty until after both support bands were done (Snow Patrol were great).
We watched the standing crowd from above and certainly someone (stewards?) was handing out access to the "bomb shelter" randomly. Someone in U2 has to sort that out for the other gigs - it ain't fair!
So maybe that didn't help the atmosphere, which was weird. U2 were totally fired up and Bono grinned a lot. But the crowd was mute for much of the time then suddenly would spark - so WOWY and Pride were sung by 50.00 voices with the band, but otherwise even Streets was quiet. Couldn't understand it myself.

I'm sure the early finish and light night was a major factor. Come back to Leeds next time, fellas.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
The Fly

50.00 in my post above should read 50,000 !
Old 06-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #12
Acrobat

Guys ITALIAN and Spanish crowd rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:50 AM   #13
Refugee

let me repeat where i was standing the atmosphere was electric with everyone going nuts! about 5-10 people back from the barrier centre/adam side
Old 06-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #14
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Not that it's relevant, but just out curiousity how was the crowd around you, andyuk?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ramblin rose
Not that it's relevant, but just out curiousity how was the crowd around you, andyuk?
i know you didnt ask me rose, but thought i would tell you what the crowd was like where i stood lol, they were nuts, halfway back by the sound desk, EVERYONE i could see where dancing, singing, jumping and just having a great time, everyone i seen walking out had massive smiles
Old 06-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2
i know you didnt ask me rose, but thought i would tell you what the crowd was like where i stood lol, they were nuts, halfway back by the sound desk, EVERYONE i could see where dancing, singing, jumping and just having a great time, everyone i seen walking out had massive smiles
It's funny, I was thinking about you yesterday. I wasn't sure you were going to the gig, but when I noticed that you weren't posting I imagined you were there.

Sounds like you have a good time, and I'm glad. Are you going to any other of the UK shows?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ramblin rose

It's funny, I was thinking about you yesterday. I wasn't sure you were going to the gig, but when I noticed that you weren't posting I imagined you were there.

Sounds like you have a good time, and I'm glad. Are you going to any other of the UK shows?
hoping to get to cardiff, although thats not certain at the minute, with work commitments
Old 06-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:31 AM
this is why it's dangerous to generalize a crowd as a whole, especially in a stadium. just because where you were standing, the crowd may have been lame, doesn't mean the entire stadium was that way.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #19
The Fly

The crowd was awesome where I was (in the centre, right up against the left B-stage (which I am now referring to as the Edge-and-Adam zone, because they practically LIVED there and it was awesome!). I thought it was quite lively throughout, though I may just be saying that because it was my first-ever show and I was pretty much off my head with happiness the whole night.

I sang along with everything (I think I confused the chap next to me because I was singing harmonies sometimes as well) and danced like crazy and forgot all the crud that happened with GA wristbanding and how much my feet ached from waiting outside and all of it. The band was brilliant, and I wouldn't trade this 'first show,' warts and all, for anything. I can't even explain what it meant to me to really finally see them - but then again, that's the beauty of Interference - I don't have to.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who posts info about show times and procedures and what not - it makes the experience so much easier when you know what to expect. Love to you all!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
The Fly

glad in a funny sort of way that a fair few others are confirming what I thought of the crowd.

Area I was in was pretty poor. Even had someone complaining at me at one point for what was no more than my arm nudging into his back occasionally (must of expected that you get loads of room in 50,000plus crowds).

Nowhere near enough interaction at the times when Bono needed / wanted it.

Hope and expect the crowd in Glasgow next tuesday to be a lot better.