Just met Bono in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMAusten

The Fly
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thanks to this board, I have accomplished a dream. My son, mother and I were able to meet Bono before the soundcheck this afternoon. He signed my CD and said to my son "Who's this little guy?" I told him his name was Hunter and he was two. He shook his hand.

Unfortunately I don't have a shot of this--I was soaking up the moment. Which was shattered when my mom tells him "My daughter has been in love with you since junior high." **blush**

He was really nice, signed a lot of different things, and in a really good mood. He then went to the other side of the driveway and did more meet-and-greet. He had to go because he said they are starting to work on filming for the DVD.

I met some really nice people in line. Everyone was cool--no one screamed or anything. It was just a very cool moment. I still am in shock and probably not being articulate at all. But thanks everyone who posted before about their experiences--it helped so much. Thanks everyone, Thanks Bono, Thanks security guys who let him sign and take photos.

I posted the photos in the tour photo gallery as I don't know how to post them here.

PS/If anyone has photos of Bono shaking hands with my son--he was wearing a cream colored sweater with a hood--please let me know. I'd love to have them and will pay the cost.

thanks! I'm still in shock as I get ready to go back tonight. I can't wait to tell my son about his brush with Bono in few years. Congrats to you as well! I bet you'll never forget that day!

that's right..I never will:wink: ...and yes it was and still is so surreal!:drool:

Enjoy the show..!

wishes I could be there in chicago..but have to wait till oct..for the philly show....arghhhhhhhhhh! just plain torture!

LMAusten said:

Unfortunately I don't have a shot of this--I was soaking up the moment. Which was shattered when my mom tells him "My daughter has been in love with you since junior high." **blush**

:lol:

Congrats on the meet! :D:cute:

Congratulations on your meeting!! Cool photos, thanks for sharing! I see the cowboy hat has made an appearance.

LMAusten,

sincere congrats. Im envious but in a good way. Can you give another fan some advise?

What time did you get to the arena and what time did he arrive? I have read other postings and am trying to get a fix on when I should get there for a chance to meet Bono & Edge. Also, was he able to greet most fans or were there many disappointed ones?

Hope this wasnt too many questions. Once again, way too go!!!

Gotta love your Mom for saying that! :lol:

Congrats! I'm happy for you! I'm hoping to get a chance again in November.

I just missed Bono by a few minutes this afternoon (he came out WAY TOO EARLY) and I'm reaaly sad about this because I actually have a SPECIAL B-DAY PRESENT FOR BONO WHICH WAS GIVEN ME BY A FRIEND OF HIS!

This person was very glad to know that I could deliver this present to Bono for his b-day because Bono did something very nice for this person for his own b-day and he wanted Bono to know how much he means to him!

I was heartbroken that I couldn't see B today - I ask for all your good thoughts and prayers that I can make this connection on Monday ( 9 May) because this present is all IN THE NAME OF LOVE.

Beautiful pics though.

Bono....:wink:

Thanks for all the good vibes and congrats. U2 fans are the best, for the best band in the world!
I got there @ 2:15 and I think Bono got there @2:30 or so. I'm guessing because we were back in the car by 3. I would say most people were not disappointed. There was probably 50 people there, if that. A good crowd but not overwhelming. There was one guy who wanted his guitar signed and Bono said he did not sign guitars. But most people had CDs, t-shirts, and such--one lady brought a portrait of him that he signed.
Jamila, I hope you can make your connection! Good luck to everyone!

The present I bring for Bono is something very special and personalized for him - so I pray to God that I can deliver it to him.

MAY YOUR DREAMS BE REALIZED....:wink:

Congrats!!!! I got there at exactly 3 (cause they usually get there for soundcheck around 3 or 4) and was really surprised to find out that they were already there and that I had missed Bono by a half hour. They got there REALLY early. They usually arrive later, especially Bono. Oh well, I still have 3 more chances....

awww, what a sweet story! :cute: congratulations on meeting bono- and happy mother's day to both you AND your mom! :heart:

LMAusten,

It is good to see your posting about yeaterday's meet with Bono. I may have good news for you on that picture, but need about an hour to get my pix back from the developers.

Bono was working his way towards you and Hunter when I snapped the last picture in the camera. More info soon!

Regards,
Philip C (the fellow in the Elevation T-shirt)

Last edited:
LMAusten -

I just retrieved the pictures. Unfortunately they didn't have you and Hunter in them - the camera was a ratty little disposable with a narrow field of view. Hopefully the dozen other people with cameras caught the moment. <smile> Bono did indeed enjoy meeting the youngest U2 fan at the gate yesterday. Good luck! Maybe an image will turn up before long.

Regards,
Philip C (the fellow in the Elevation T-shirt)

Hey, its you! did you get your t-shirt framed yet? That was so cool of him to sign it.
That's ok about the pic. I have faith someone somewhere has it.
Don't forget to post your other pics.
It was good to meet you!
lyzette

Hi Lyzette!

Haven't framed it yet, but I've stowed it in a zip-loc bag until I can go to the framer. This meeting the band and hanging out with other fans is addictive!

My wife missed the 5/7 gathering, so we went over on 5/09 to try and meet them again - and she said hello to The Edge. Edge wasn't into autographing shirts, but he did indulge the crowd a bit, shaking hands, etc...Bono came out for a few minutes too, but the crowd was larger and prone to swarming around the cars - it was a more manic scene than Saturday.

The video team was there and filmed some of the activity. I thought it was interesting to note so many people from Texas and Colorado in the crowd telling the interviewers about the graciosness of the band, and Bono in particular. Hopefully some of the footage will make it into the DVD bonus features!

Pics from 5/7 will be added soon, once I can scan them in a couple of hrs.

Dreamin' out loud,
Phil C

SecondsToSay said:
Hi Lyzette!

Haven't framed it yet, but I've stowed it in a zip-loc bag until I can go to the framer. This meeting the band and hanging out with other fans is addictive!

My wife missed the 5/7 gathering, so we went over on 5/09 to try and meet them again - and she said hello to The Edge. Edge wasn't into autographing shirts, but he did indulge the crowd a bit, shaking hands, etc...Bono came out for a few minutes too, but the crowd was larger and prone to swarming around the cars - it was a more manic scene than Saturday.

The video team was there and filmed some of the activity. I thought it was interesting to note so many people from Texas and Colorado in the crowd telling the interviewers about the graciosness of the band, and Bono in particular. Hopefully some of the footage will make it into the DVD bonus features!

Pics from 5/7 will be added soon, once I can scan them in a couple of hrs.

Dreamin' out loud,
Phil C

Sorry to hear you missed them Seconds and hope I dont have the same experience in October. Was Edge not autographing anything or just not shirts. Would like to get his sig on an old magazine if possible.

thanks and good luck to all who wish to meet the boys in the band.

Edge was more into greeting the fans and may have done some autographs (hard to see from 3 or 4 persons back); Bono was more outgoing.

I'll predict that you'll enjoy meeting them in October - If you can be there and if everyone can relax a bit, then the band will certainly stay and meet all in attendance. Good luck! We'll be eager to read your postings afterwards.

Dreamin' Out Loud,
Phil

Hey Phil,
Have you heard from our other two friends from Saturday? I'm curious about how her pictures turned out. Are you going to post yours soon? I'm still over the moon about it!

Good luck, U2Warrior! You'll never forget the experience!

Congratulations to you and Hunter, LMAusten!

I bet you'll keep the memory of this day alive forever for both you and your son.

SecondsToSay said:
Edge was more into greeting the fans and may have done some autographs (hard to see from 3 or 4 persons back); Bono was more outgoing.

I'll predict that you'll enjoy meeting them in October - If you can be there and if everyone can relax a bit, then the band will certainly stay and meet all in attendance. Good luck! We'll be eager to read your postings afterwards.

Dreamin' Out Loud,
Phil

Thanks for the info Phil. You can count on a recap from the Dallas show. Based on all the feedback from the others, I think getting there at appx 2pm should do the trick. As suggested I will play it cool but I'd better bring the Pepto when they arrive as my insides will be killing me from the nervousness & excitement...

ALR

Back
Top Bottom