Just got back from the UC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
I've got a lot of pictures to sort through and work on.

No, no Electric Co. tonight, but they played Bad, and Bono sung it like a man posessed. :drool:

Also of note is that the Stories For Boys snippet did not show up with Vertigo, which had me convinced that they'd play it later on. Of course, they didn't. Oh well.

There was NO FILMING. Despite a sign warning people that filming would be taking place, I did not once see any cameras, and there were not extra lights (too bad, they would have helped with my pictures).

I'll get around to writing a real review either tonight or tomorrow. Awesome show, though. :up:

By the way, before Zoo Station, they did this awesome slot machine thingy with various Achtung Baby era symbols, have they been doing this at every show?

Last edited:
Here's a preview, three shots I took tonight:

ellipse.jpg

Can't remember which song this was.

streets.jpg

Where The Streets Have No Name

zoostation.jpg

Zoo Station (excellent stage job on this song, the picture doesn't even come close to doing it justice).

There was NO FILMING. Despite a sign warning people that filming would be taking place, I did not once see any cameras, and there were not extra lights (too bad, they would have helped with my pictures).

Hey Knox-

I was in the 200 level and did see a camera setup right where I sat (section 204 which is right-corner facing the stage). Also, I did notice fans being filmed at the rail outside the ellipse between Kings of Leon and u2, as well as a vertigo member interviewing fans after the show... I wonder if tonite was just a nite to get extra fan footage from the show and the real song footage wont take place til next couple shows.

Oh?

Interesting.

They didn't appear to be filming the show itself, then? Definitely nobody on stage, like at the Vancouver dry run.

They didn't film the actual show but they were filming a mini-documentary type deal on the fans in the GA line for the DVD, I got interviewed and ruffian and chizip did too, i believe. They had us sing vertigo to the camera which was fun. Hope I make it to the DVD!

learn2kneel said:
They didn't film the actual show but they were filming a mini-documentary type deal on the fans in the GA line for the DVD, I got interviewed and ruffian and chizip did too, i believe. They had us sing vertigo to the camera which was fun. Hope I make it to the DVD!

Oh, wow. That's awesome! :up:

knox, did you have to sneak your camera in or were you able to openly bring it in?

Just preparing for the concerts on 9 and 10 May.

The same guy wanted to interview me but I turned him down (I'm a bit shy).:wink:

knox said:
Here's a preview, three shots I took tonight:

zoostation.jpg

Zoo Station (excellent stage job on this song, the picture doesn't even come close to doing it justice).

wow! this looks reeeeally cool- much different from the way they staged 'zoo station' on opening night... :up:

thanks for the photos- i am so freaking excited for the shows!! hope to see you at the Hard Rock tonight... :hyper:

one more thing: THANK YOU, knox, for serving as the source for last night's setlist party... you rule! :bow: :applaud:

knox said:

zoostation.jpg

Knox- your right on...The lighting around the ellipse and light strings for Zoo Station was awesome! It had a very ZooTV feel IMO..i was blown away

I think they were definitely filming last night. I was two rows back off the rail of the ellipse and just about got blinded from the camera lights (hanging way up above the corners of the stage) whenever one of the band came out near us...

What an awesome show :)

I think there's some room for improvement for Monday though. I'd love to hear the Stories For Boys snipped return, and to see Bono interact a little more with the crowd (bring someone on stage, say a little more, etc). Finally, and most importantly, something needs to be done with the acoustics. The higher-pitched stuff seemed to distort, or something like that. It's possible that they just had the volume cranked up a little too loud. I think we'd all prefer good audio quality to extreme loudness. I was on the floor, so I'm sure that didn't help, but I hope that's tweaked come Monday's show.

Despite the audio problems, I thought the whole band sounded fantastic. Bono's voice was strong and clear throughout. The setlist is what you would expect, but I anticipated that for opening night in Chicago. I thought the staging and visuals were amazing looking, and very effective. COBL was especially impressive. All in all, a very good show, but I expect the next 3 to be great :)

I tell ya what, it sure was cold in that GA line.

Here are a few pics (more to come):

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
*Ally* said:
thanks for the photos- i am so freaking excited for the shows!! hope to see you at the Hard Rock tonight... :hyper:

Yeah, I'll be there I think, but I'll be running late -- it's Mother's Day, so I'm having dinner with my mother.

Knox, where were your seats? I have choice between 316 or 224 tomorrow night and don't know which ones to take. Dilemma, dilemma! Anyone who's been there have suggestion?

Here's a pic I worked on earlier today, it took some Photoshop Majik to get the colors to come out great, but it was definitely worth it.

btbs.jpg

The video presentation is why I no longer care that Bullet is being played on this tour.

we were able to bring our camera in on saturday, no problem.

Also, they were filming the show. You probably couldn't see from the 300 level. There was a camera man in the ellipse. the camera had a periscope attachment to get over the heads of the crowd and not block any views.

Back
Top Bottom