Just got back from Europe and thought I would share some..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: efc

reptile said:

I know what EFC stands for but what about KU?
I guess you know we just signed Neville!?
(sorry folks private scouse conversation this one)
its just my name kevin underwood,

personally great signing for us, play at tha back or midfield, now lets just get someone pacy up front before the deadline

Re: Re: Re: Re: good on you!

stevec said:

Yeah I know what you mean. I met Ewan McGregor in my local pub (can you believe that?) and I think I was probably a bit goofy at first. I was about to ask "Aren't you...?" (I know - dumb!) and anticipating the question he laughed and said "Aye, it is me." I guess he gets that rather a lot.

Having said that, I had been there a while and had several pints of liquid comedy, so the bravado kicked in and I asked him for the photo/autograph thing - which he was kind enough to do. I now have a great shot of us blowing kisses to the camera together.

He's a really nice bloke actually. We chatted for about an hour or so, then he bought me a pint and left.
oh yeah a bit of the old 'liquid amber' can do wonders for the old confidence. I met Christy Moore a few years back at a secret gig and i had had a few and got talking with him quite easily, he ended up dedicating a song to me! The moral being, if you meet your idols, make sure you are drunk!?:drunk:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good on you!

reptile said:
I met Christy Moore a few years back at a secret gig and i had had a few and got talking with him quite easily, he ended up dedicating a song to me! The moral being, if you meet your idols, make sure you are drunk!?:drunk:

Now THAT is cool! Looked for a dedication at the end of Phantom menace to me, but alas...

Beer - ya gotta love it!

LuvandPeace1980 said:

About the rest of the discussion I must say:
Yes very diplomatic in here tonight, well done!
I honestly thought I was going to get a few.. yeah sure you met him type people :wink:

Actually, it's a very cool story. Thanks for sharing it. :up:. And no one else has one like it either :).

I'm sure you didn't stumble like you thought you did. He probably came away with thinking you were a very nice guy by being okay when there was no photo :).

Plus you got a smile from Ali :up:.

Re: Re: Re: Re: efc

Aardvark747 said:

[
Footy thread my friend!:wink:
thanks mate
im new to this place
its 1.30am here but next time i log on i will spend some time on the footy thread.
Cheers

Re: Re: efc

KUEFC09U2 said:
its just my name kevin underwood,

personally great signing for us, play at tha back or midfield, now lets just get someone pacy up front before the deadline
Hey Kevin,
How many hours left until deadline?!
We probably shouldnt take over this thread discussing the Blues.
Maybe we can catch up on the footy thread sometime.
Im from Skem by the way. Was back in Liverpool last in 2002/3. (at arsenal game when he whom we no longer speak of got the winner)

Re: Re: Re: Re: good on you!

stevec said:

Yeah I know what you mean. I met Ewan McGregor in my local pub (can you believe that?) and I think I was probably a bit goofy at first. I was about to ask "Aren't you...?" (I know - dumb!) and anticipating the question he laughed and said "Aye, it is me." I guess he gets that rather a lot.

Having said that, I had been there a while and had several pints of liquid comedy, so the bravado kicked in and I asked him for the photo/autograph thing - which he was kind enough to do. I now have a great shot of us blowing kisses to the camera together.

He's a really nice bloke actually. We chatted for about an hour or so, then he bought me a pint and left.

Great story!
:drool: Ewan McGregor :drool:
The first and only time I've been on a 'fan line' of some sort was to see him, at a film festival in NYC, and I couldn't bring myself to say anything to him as he stood right in front of me. Not that I had more than a couple milliseconds before the pouncing began, and it was lowkey pouncing compared to some scenes I think, but still...it all made me feel funny about asking *anything* of him. Once he was a couple feet away and about to face a gauntlet of photographers (and he had great technique with that) I mumbled something inaudible like 'thanks for all your lovely film work' or somesuch. Then I was afraid I was disturbing when I just stared with a dumbass smitten-seeming smile on my face as he did some tv interview down the carpet, but I'm guessing he's used to that.
I'd like to think in a more casual setting like a pub I'd be brave enough to do a "aren't you...?" deal, especially after a pint or two!
but who knows...

Great that you got to shake hands with the b-man, LuvandPeace1980, and totally reasonable I think that he wasn't in a mood for photos at the doctor's office...
cheers all!

Re: Re: Re: efc

reptile said:

Hey Kevin,
How many hours left until deadline?!
We probably shouldnt take over this thread discussing the Blues.
Maybe we can catch up on the footy thread sometime.
Im from Skem by the way. Was back in Liverpool last in 2002/3. (at arsenal game when he whom we no longer speak of got the winner)
the deadline has 40 minutes remaining, and it looks like that will be our lot, shame we needed a pacy forward to get past villareal imo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good on you!

ShellBeThere said:

Great story!
:drool: Ewan McGregor :drool:
The first and only time I've been on a 'fan line' of some sort was to see him, at a film festival in NYC, and I couldn't bring myself to say anything to him as he stood right in front of me. Not that I had more than a couple milliseconds before the pouncing began, and it was lowkey pouncing compared to some scenes I think, but still...it all made me feel funny about asking *anything* of him. Once he was a couple feet away and about to face a gauntlet of photographers (and he had great technique with that) I mumbled something inaudible like 'thanks for all your lovely film work' or somesuch. Then I was afraid I was disturbing when I just stared with a dumbass smitten-seeming smile on my face as he did some tv interview down the carpet, but I'm guessing he's used to that.
I'd like to think in a more casual setting like a pub I'd be brave enough to do a "aren't you...?" deal, especially after a pint or two!
but who knows...

Well if you ever get another chance, say hello to the man - he's very approachable.

As it turns out, he was in Paris not long beforehand, where he visited the "Auld Alliance" pub - a Scottish bar there. By a sheer fluke, I had seen a news report of an incident in the bar involving an English soccer player (won't bore you with detail*) a few days earlier. The TV reporter interviewed the barman, who claimed to have thrown the player out of pub and amazingly, he was a mate of mine who I had lost touch with some time before.

Anyways, I relay the story to Ewan who laughs his ass off and says "A load of shit - he never never even came out from behind the bar", much less throw the soccer player out. I have to salute my friend tho, for having the balls to claim that on national TV.

To say that was a strange week is an understatement! :eyebrow:

* For those football fans who remember, it was the much talked about Stan Collymore/Ulrika Jonsson incident!

Aardvark747 said:

To step outside the Doctors for a photo, isnt really much to ask in return. He wasnt dying for fucks sake...he has a bad back.

And the headline would say: BONO and WIFE take pictures with fan after treatment at local clinic for: (fill in the blank).

You know how it is: It doesn't have to be true just some paparazzi hiding in a tree or across the street with a zoom lens, and there's the million dollar photo/story.
This man is stalked on a regular basis ... he has to watch his and his families movements very carefully. So does Ali..

L&P1980 did the absolute proper thing... :up:
No matter what, when asked to back off politely, one does.
or should :wink:

sue4u2 said:

And the headline would say: BONO and WIFE take pictures with fan after treatment at local clinic for: (fill in the blank).

You know how it is: It doesn't have to be true just some paparazzi hiding in a tree or across the street with a zoom lens, and there's the million dollar photo/story.
This man is stalked on a regular basis ... he has to watch his and his families movements very carefully. So does Ali..

L&P1980 did the absolute proper thing... :up:
No matter what, when asked to back off politely, one does.
or should :wink:

Agreed!

LuvandPeace1980 in the first instance was at least polite enough to ask, but equally, Bono wasn't an ass about not wanting his photo taken either.

Had he been stepping out of a hotel with the band, he would probably have posed for several photos as he does so often. With Ali at his side and given that he was attending a clinic, that particular day was simply not a good day for him.

Both LuvandPeace1980 and Bono displayed good manners - something we are sadly lacking these days in many other respects.

Last edited:
Glad your trip went well! :happy:

Like everyone else has said, I too think you did the right thing concerning Bono.

That is so random that you saw them in a clinic. I cannot even imagine how shocked you must have be! Blindsided more like it....I'm surprised you could get anything out! No time at all to prepare/think! :hug:

Good job LuvandPeace1980. It was probably the highlight of your trip!!

I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to even get up and speak to him in that setting. I would've wondered what he was doing there and thought "I'm sure he doesn't want anyone to know about this." It is, however, one of the first times I've heard that Bono has denied a fan a photo (other than when there isn't time and he's being pulled away to go to soundcheck or something).

I can't believe he would just walk into a public clinic like that though and not go in a back door if he was trying to hide something.

The more important issue is "I hope he (or Ali) is OK!!"
You mentioned he looked frail. I hope that's just an extreme word. I normally think of someone much older as being frail. I think he's probably really looking forward to one month in the South of France to recuperate and regenerate.

not frail more fragile, probably from his back and he seemed hungover too haha..
Believe you me I wanted to leave him alone by the way.
I never ever bother celebrities as I know it sucks in that way being one sometimes. But my chances of meeting Bono in Oz are so slim :wink:
He was probably at the clinic getting some X-Rays on his back(as thats what the part he went into was for)

Back
Top Bottom