I was the guy with the phone @ MSG #2 10/8/05 - FACTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astralzzzz

Babyface
All,

I am here to give the facts and clear up any confusion regarding the 'phone' incident/comments Bono made at the MSG #2 show on October 8th.

Let me first say that I was the guy with the phone. I will first start off by trying to prove this (so you know I am for real and to establish some credibility since I really don't post to this site.)

As proof I have attached a copy of my ticket (with the special eclipse stamp on it - my buddy won the lottery and we got in.) In addition to this, I have attached two pictures I took with the phone that gives you a good idea of where I was standing. (I was one person dead behind center stage inside the circle - 5 feet from stage.) Finally, I was number #72 in the line and had a father and his 11 year old daughter in front of me. If anyone still has the book, they can verify my first name of Christopher to the #72.

The Story
-------------
The night started off great. We got into the circle and were standing one person behind the front of the stage. Everyone else around me was taking pictures, so I took out my phone (Motorola V3) and started to click away. The concert started and I saw Bono reach for my phone while I was trying to take a picture of him. I gave it to him b/c I thought he was going to take a pic of himself. He just put it in his pocket and then a few seconds later took it out and threw it back at me. It dropped, and the 11 year old girl in front of me grabbed it off the floor. Bono then said "you dropped it." I didn't think much the incident at the time besides being a bit confused. Someone else said he made some other not so nice, comments while he had the phone, but I did not hear them.

Then later during the concert I was trying to take another picture of him (like everyone else around me) and as everyone heard he yelled out something like "Put the f-ing phone away, we are at a rock concert." At that time, I realized that he did not understand that it was a camera and a phone, and that I was only taking pictures. In an effort to avoid further conflict, I just put the dang thing in my pocket.

To be honest, it was a horrible feeling to have this man that I have followed, idolized, and respected for over 20 years to scold me in front of the audience. He came across very harsh in his body language and his tone. At the time, I felt like a little child getting yelled at by an authority figure. I couldn't believe what was happening to me! I never meant for this to happen and I apologize to everyone for the incident.

In all honesty, there were others around me who were also using their phones as cameras; but I think mine was a less obvious camera b/c it is one of those new, thin, low profile Motorola Razor V3s (http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/Web_ProductHome.asp?country=USA&language=ENS&productid=29690)

Because of others around me using their phones to take pictures, I didn’t think I did anything wrong. I think it comes down to he did not realize I was taking pictures, but rather thought I was making phone calls. I think it was an honest mistake, I just wish he wasn’t so harsh to me. I can’t imagine how he would react if he was really angry at you for something much more serious. Now I know why all those countries are coming through with their pledges that they made Bono to help out Africa ; )

Just for the record: I DID NOT MAKE A PHONE CALL AT ANY POINT DURING THE SHOW. I only took pictures. If anyone has any access to the band or Bono, I would appreciate it if they could just let them/him know, b/c the last thing I want to do is upset those guys.

Anyways, moving on.. Later in the show he did give me an apology (which I appreciated very much,) but I still think he never realized I was taking pictures. When he was looking at me during the apology, I did point to my phone and made a camera sign with my hand (used my index finger to make a camera clicking motion) to try to communicate to him that it was a camera. Not sure if it ever got across.

That's about it. Besides that incident, it was a great show as usual, and we had a good time. I don't hold any ill feelings towards him or the band (how can you, with all the good he has done in the world??) Also, it was partly my fault, b/c they did have no camera signs up even though they don't enforce it... I may have some nightmares regarding the incident, but I'll be ok. Despite everything, U2 is still my favorite all time band and I still hold Bono in high respect.

I hope this answers everyone's questions. Thanks for taking the time to listen and feel free to email/post any further questions/comments. I will do my best to respond. I am at astralzzzz@yahoo.com (astralzzzz at yahoo - in case this forum edits out email addresses.)

Respectfully,
-Christopher (astralzzzz)

Attachments

• msgshow2nyc01.jpg
    msgshow2nyc01.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
I think it would be awesome if Bono yelled at me at a concert.

i was at that show. From where I was, section 211, it was like "ok, bono made a comment at someone, ok, let's get back to the music" and then no one even thought about it again for the rest of the night. If I didn't see this story here, i would have forgotten all about it. Don't worry about it, the show still rocked and no one cared about the "phone incident":wink:

wow i wouldnt mind bono shouting at me lol, like that person at the jonothan ross show that got told "stand up you misreably bast""d"

Yowsers! :ohmy: I hadn't heard about this, but then again I didn't do the setlist party or anything for msg2. Sorry, Christopher! I'd definitely feel :reject: too. Glad you were still able to enjoy the show. And think of it this way: Now you've got a great story to tell--and a good conversation starter if you ever run into Bono on the street! :wink:

Thanks guys. Normally, I would not even make a post about this, however, there were lots of posts regarding this issue on this board and others and even more misinformation. I just wanted to clear it up for the record. And what better of a place to do it then interference.com! ; )

Take Care,
-Chris

PS Also, I do agree. It will make a great story/conversation piece. I kind of look at it as a non-tangible souvenir.

PSS If anyone has a copy of the show, I would really appreciate a copy/download link. I would be more than willing to pay shipping and the cost of the CD-Rs. Thank you!

Hey...it's a free country.

But we should really only use our cell phones when it fits into Bono's agenda.:eyebrow:

Yeah, you should have told him you had the phone out and ready for One.

Thanks for clearing everything up. In a way I'm glad it was a guy this happened to. I'm afraid that if it was me I might have broken down in tears. :(

After it happened I kept thinking, I wonder what Bono is going to do when he wants everyone to take out their cellphone...it became obvious when he apologized right before One.

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:
Thanks for clearing everything up. In a way I'm glad it was a guy this happened to. I'm afraid that if it was me I might have broken down in tears. :(

you liar you'd ask him to play fast cars while you had his attention :wink:

Yeah - I think there is a point being missed here, and that is Chris' feelings.

If in fact he was not on the phone (and I guess we have to beleive him) it really would be a very demeaning, and deflating feeling having Bono yell something at you from the stage.

In all honesty, hundreds of people were shooting photos from their phones during the show, and as much as I found that annoying, if everyone is doing it, and if they actually ask for you to take the phone out during ONE, it seems like Chris was put into an unfair situation.

I think by posting this, a couple of things. 1. Chris feelings were hurt as they should have been. 2. He is a big person by posting this and trying to at least set the record straight.

I am not sure I would have had the same reaction - I would have had many different thoughts going through my head if Bono yelled at me from the stage, first of which would be "I have followed you for how long, did everything I could to get to the spot where I am standing, and gave you the life you have and this is how you react?" I most likely would have thrown the phone in his face and left the show.

That is my short temper and deep feeling for the band however. It seems Chris took the higher ground and tried to explain to Bono what was going on. Of course from the stage, who the hell knows what he saw, but by reading the accounts of this - the situation seems a bit unfair to Chris.

Anyway - thanks for posting this - I still hope you enjoyed the show.

In my opinion, I think you should get a free ticket to tonights show!

That would be a true apology!

I agree it was a harsh reaction and Bono misunderstood his actions (and apologized), but if I played a song in front of an audience I would mind if someone telephoned.

I was just on the outside of the Elipse, on the rail, and I was really angry that Bono yelled at a fan like that. He didn't come across as an "authority figure" yelling at a child - he came across as a petulant little rockstar baby. I don't care if you were taking pictures or talking on the phone to tell a loved one or friend about how happy you were to be there. I always call my friend during one of the songs and hold up the phone so she can hear it. When Bono did that, I just felt like he was such a little bitch and it ruined the song and the mood for me. I was glad he apologized at the end, and it didn't really detract from the show, but at that one single moment, it just really struck a bad note for me. All in all, an extraordinary show. The original poster should not feel bad at all. It's baby bono who should be ashamed.

I agree with Ouizy's post. If Bono had yelled at me, I would have burst out crying and left the Garden.

Chris is one of the fans who has given Bono and his bandmates a "great life," and from his post here, he sounds like a great fan, and a very forgiving one.

Geez. I'm very sorry this happened to you. I'd probably do a combination of what Rose and Ouizy said - first burst into tears, then throw the phone at him and finally, I'd probably make an awful comment about his hair :wink:.
If it helps, try to keep in mind that Bono has a history of overreacting sometimes. One classic example often discussed here is the Save the Yuppie free concert in San Francisco where he went off on a guy for holding a sign that said SFU2, forgetting he was in San Francisco and thinking the SF stood for Sinn Fein.

As an aside, I'd like to point out that it is very near impossible to actually make a phone call while the show is going on especially in the front row close to the PAs. You can't hear the person you're trying to call and they really can't hear you on the other end either.

I'm sorry, but to have Bono actually talk to you during the concert would be the coolest thing ever. Everytime you listen to that bootleg you could be like, that's me he is talking to!

Diane L said:
I agree with Ouizy's post. If Bono had yelled at me, I would have burst out crying and left the Garden.

I would want to crawl under a rock and die. :|

Afterward, of course, when I was over the shame, I would have to play it off like I was a badass. :wink:

I mean, really, there are sooo many people with phones in and around the ellipse who cares?

Bono should be used to people tuning him out by now. :blahblah: :wink:

i think bono was a bastard for scolding the guy.

it's also really funny that i just happened to be on the phone with my brother, who was there, when bono said this.

:giggle:

I happen to be using the video tape feature on my camera when the incident happened. I have about a 15 second clip but I'm not sure how to post it here.

I was in the ellipse, on the rail against the stage about 10-15 feet to the left of where the incident took place. Bono seemed genuinely pissed. Like the original poster said--Bono's body language was really aggressive.

That was the most interesting part about being inside the ellipse--the interaction between the band and the fans, especially when you're front and center like I was. I've been on the floor numerous times and have been very close to the band, but never like this. They are looking at you, making eye contact, smiling while people sing along. it's amazing yet surreal. These are guys you have spend endless hours following, listening to, watching on tv--suddenly they're right in front of you.

Anyway, looking back it was an odd event. Meanwhile, every person in the ellipse had their phone or camera out taking pictures. At one point I was using both at the same time.

TheFly40 said:

That was the most interesting part about being inside the ellipse--the interaction between the band and the fans, especially when you're front and center like I was. I've been on the floor numerous times and have been very close to the band, but never like this. They are looking at you, making eye contact, smiling while people sing along. it's amazing yet surreal. These are guys you have spend endless hours following, listening to, watching on tv--suddenly they're right in front of you..

Amazing yet surreal, indeed. :yes:

And I think after that incident I'm happy that I was on Adam's side and at the receiving end of many flirtatious smiles, nods, and laughs. :sexywink:

TheFly40 said:
I happen to be using the video tape feature on my camera when the incident happened. I have about a 15 second clip but I'm not sure how to post it here.

Upload the file via YSI ( you send it.com) :up:

I still have trouble believing Bono did that! I mean, everyone uses their cell phones at concerts. Sure, it does suck if you have a big conversation on the phone with your buddy about the day you had at work when someone's singing his heart out in front of you, but Bono should be able to deal with that. If you've spent a significant portion of your time buying U2 albums and following the band through everything, you'd think he'd at least allow you one phone call during the show. It could have been an emergency, for goodness' sake...and the fact of the matter is, this guy wasn't even calling someone!

But like Chizip said, it would still be kind of cool. :wink:

I think Bono was just jealous you had a RAZR and he didn't :eyebrow:

You seemed to handle the situation well.. I would have left in tears like some others mentioned.

Wow....I'm not sure how to feel about this! Personally, I hate cell phones and have never owned one b/c I've been interrupted, cut off, or ignored SO many times by family and friends making/receiving calls. Talking on the phone or just playing around w/ games or texting during a concert I think is very rude and obnoxious, but obviously, most people w/ a cell phone out at a concert are taking pictures.

Pretty much no excuse for what he did to a fan. My impression is that Bono seemed a little disconnected in general on saturday night...his voice faltered all night and maybe he was a little sick or something. He as wearing a heavy leather coat and was sweating like crazy pretty much from the get-go. I am a big fan since 1985 (my first concert) and I really enjoyed the show in general, but hearing him go off on someone like that really bugged me for the rest of the show...It made me feel pretty self conscious about letting go and being in the moment when it meant following Bono's exhortations to say this or do that. I didnt want to be a puppet to a guy who had just been a serious dick to a fan. To some degree, we all go to shows to get lost in the music, to connect with the band and the crowd. From that point on, I felt like the crowd pulled back from the band a little bit. Maybe it was just me. Bottom Line: Bono sets the tone because he is one with the mike, and I think he blew it.

On the other hand, the Edge rocked. Most versatile, accomplished and underappreciated musician of our generation. Its going to be strange as Bono's voice inevitably goes into decline, while Edge becomes more and more the unparalleled technician.

Sounds as if someone had his shorts in a twist that night. :|

I'd have been upset and pissed off, especially because 1) many, many others were using their phones (some as cameras and some as phones), and 2) because Bono wants people to take their phones out and use them during One. Seems to me Bono needs to learn to think a bit before he shoots off his mouth.

It would definately put a huge damper on the concert for me, and would also affect how I thought of Bono from then on.

Glad you were still able to enjoy the show astralzzzz! :)

Back
Top Bottom