HAWAII: Waves/Surfer North Shore and Tan lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After the show...this was the BEST part of my short trip to Hawaii.

I have lived in California and on the East Coast and have NEVER seen surfing like this (I truly thought it only exsisted on TV). I cannot wait to go back again (I have been told that earlier in December is a good time for large wave surf watching).

Is this the come to poppa video? :lol:

:clicks:

Edited to add:

Ok, no it is not. You need to post that one. :lol:

zoney! said:
After the show...this was the BEST part of my short trip to Hawaii.

I have lived in California and on the East Coast and have NEVER seen surfing like this (I truly thought it only exsisted on TV). I cannot wait to go back again (I have been told that earlier in December is a good time for large wave surf watching).

I agree. Did you go to the Rip Curl competition at Sunset Beach on Sunday? AWESOME!!!!

DSCN0518.jpg

u2wedge said:

there's a bunch available via the link in my sig...

How was Maui in comparision to Oahu? Is Mama's Fishhouse an old restaurant? My mother went to Maui a long time ago and remembered eating in a big open air restaurant. She said it was a famous restaurant but she couldn't remember the name.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcmb/321705070/in/set-72157594426335139/
^Those are creepy. Around the rocks by the beach at the hotel I stayed at, those suckers were everywhere :yikes:.

kellyahern said:

How was Maui in comparision to Oahu? Is Mama's Fishhouse an old restaurant? My mother went to Maui a long time ago and remembered eating in a big open air restaurant. She said it was a famous restaurant but she couldn't remember the name.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcmb/321705070/in/set-72157594426335139/
^Those are creepy. Around the rocks by the beach at the hotel I stayed at, those suckers were everywhere :yikes:.

Mama's Fish House was an expensive lunch.. to the tune of $175. :huh: But the view was priceless. There was a 'celebrity wall' with pictures of all the celebs who have eaten there. Multi course lunch... a little over the top, but we said what the hell, we were in Hawaii, dammit.

Maui was different in that it was more of a rain forest type environment, at least along the Road to Hana. We didn't get to the touristy spot of Maui, but went up the coast to Hana and caught some nice views, etc. I guess on the way around the other side it's actually more desert and I would have liked to experience the change in scenery, but we were only there for the day and had to backtrack back to the airport. I'm glad we stayed in Waikiki, traffic was tough, but the nightlife was there when we needed it.

So what all did everyone do?

We were only there for five days, so we...

- went to the zoo
- went to Waikiki beach three times
- ate at the "best table" at Dukes and watched a sunset
- went on Captain Bob's snorkeling boat where we snorkeled on a coral reef and watched sea turtles
- went on the Grand Island Circle tour (goes all over, like the North Shore, that cool valley, Dole plantation, Haunama Bay, Hawaii Kai, a Buddhist temple, the Mormon temple, etc)
- shopped at the International Market a few times
- did a lot of wandering and trying restaurants

If we had more time and money, we would have...

- gone on the submarine dive
- maybe a helicopter ride
- hiked Diamond Head (we were always too sore and lazy b/c we would've also had to walk there and back)
- gone to Haunama Bay for at least a day
- watched more surfing on the North Shore
- more tanning on the beach!

Well, we did more than we planned and thought we could afford, so now we know exactly what to do next time....

Back
Top Bottom