HAWAII: Lining Up Two Days Early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfloxng

Refugee
There have been plenty of posts in different forums/topics regarding people having lined up at 12 noon Friday for Saturday's show. Some say yay and others say nay. The truth is, the "lineup" (BIG QUOTES) started at about 9pm on THURSDAY...2 days before the show. So...I stopped down at about 4am to find 6 people in line. No biggie, I thought, I'll go back tomorrow and be in the top 100-200. So I asked the "linekeeper" (an un-named Zoo-Top) about the status of the line. "You're 91," he/she said. "Really," I replied, noting that there were six people in line.
Then I was treated with indignance...the old, "Someone has to keep the list," blah-blah-blah.
85 people were given numbers and allowed to leave for the ENTIRE NIGHT.
What a joke.
The result? About 500 people ended up WASTING an entire day in beautiful Hawaii because a dozen or so self-righteous, self-centered hypocrites felt this need to start the line two days early (and hold countless spots for others...some of whom spent the ENTIRE NEXT DAY FRIDAY AT THE BEACH...and curiously still made the inner rail) because they have this warped perception that the show can't go on if Bono can't see their face (or they're just absolutely relentless attention hounds).
Well, anyway, those who started the line in Hawaii and had 91 on the list while 6 were in line...I am calling you out here and now. You are pathetic hypocrites and, while you claim to espouse and follow the views, etc., of Bono and the band, the Hawaii lineup was a pathetic joke. I only wish Bono himself would have showed up in line that night, as I did, to see 85 positions being "held" ahead of others who were willing to lineup and wait.
Yeah, you're real followers, y'all. You sure know what the band stands for.
What a joke.
Despite having lined up for over half a dozen shows, I decided that this one I would sit out. I bought seats to the show out front and watched from a far. It would have ruined the show for me had I been stuck stannding on the rail with a line of phony delusional hypocrites who care for nothing more that the chance to be in the soptlight.
So, make your retorts, and take your stabs but...please don't change the subject. The fact are the facts and the lineup procedure for that show was a pathetic joke. Most everyone would have been content to lineup late Friday night--instead, tha ridiculous "list" that was formed put everyone in a panic and wasted thousands of hours of people's time in such a beautiful land.

(I might mention in passing that the 1st pen--where nos. 1-500 stayed--at Aloha Stadium was left in such disarray it was embarassing. Bottles, cans, papers, bags, sleeping bags, clothes, etc., were just strewn everywhere-similar to how animals would act. Yet, there was a Salvation Army station set up by the venue--it was a big pile (tents, sleeping bags, clothes) just outside of the 1st pen--where people could put their leftover things that they wouldn't be taking home. There were also countless garbage cans). Yet, when I walked through pen #1 after the 1st 500 were admitted to the floor, it was tantamount to a disaster area. Why did pens 2 and 3 clean up so well and stack all of their eftover clothes in the Slavation Army pile? Hmm, maybe they cared more about poverty and ecology than they did about their place in line at a concert.

To those of who preach "Zootopians (or whoever) United Against Poverty" and similar slogans...keep in mind: These mantras are not cigars--you're not supposed to just take a puff and blow your smoke all over the room for others to breathe. If you want to smoke this pipe and be credible about it, you have to inhale. I am confident Bono would agree.

I'm out. :|

Last edited:
I was 513. I'm not a regular "line" person by any means. I've only done GA twice (also Glendale in April 05) I was in "pen 1" after I showed up Friday night at 7pm. I was concerned about the line I heard of early Friday but thought I could still be in the first few hundred if I showed up when the property opened. I was late, so I think 513 wasn't too bad.

I completely agree with the disaster area that was left. All my gear - just a folding chair and a simple sheet - went back to my friend's car mid-day Saturday. I made lots of comments to people around me about their plastic rafts and other junk left about. I'm severely hearing impaired, wear hearing aids and have a lousy time hearing people shout announcements but I clearly heard about being ready to go by 2pm and having the area cleared. Either put it in our cars or pile it on the grass is what I recall.

Now the fact the line was formed at 2pm but the line didn't get admitted until 3:45pm sucked. Granted, that's the venue not coordinating with the crews, soundchecks still going on, etc. A whole different topic about the screwy Aloha Stadium staff who couldn't seem to be bothered to do much. (Security around the catwalks watching the show and taking pictures, not doing their jobs. I'd fire all their asses.)

Last edited:
This is extremely pathetic. Don't go floor if you're NOT going to have the time to wait for it. Otherwise, go floor, but accept that you end up where you are when you decide to show up.

You know, you see crap like this and you see why a lottery system would have its use.

When I finally decided I couldn't afford to go, one of the things that made me feel better was realizing all the line drama and BS I was going to miss. I'm really sorry to hear that people had to go through that.

Some people have taken "GA management " way WAY too seriously on this tour. All the pretty decent spots I got doing GA I got by waiting in line, leaving for no more than an hour, and then only to take my stuff back to my hotel and try to get some autographs.

The novelty of being line leader should've worn off after first grade, no? :tsk:

Kevin - well said :applaud: Sorry I never got to meet you & say hi.

All along we had planned to queue up on Saturday morning, but we weren't sure of the time. On Friday night, we started hearing all the horror stories and how people starting showing up Thursday night. And more horror stories once we arrived on Saturday morning. We ended up in the third "pen". At one point, probably around 1 or 2pm, someone got up to move their chair, and the next thing you know, everyone panics and picks up their stuff and gets in a massive line. Of course, only to stand there for another hour or two. We had plenty of time to put stuff back in the car, and to clean up our areas.

There was definitely a lack of communication with the stadium & U2's management I think. At first they weren't sure about the camera situation, and then we got reports that for GA, no backpacks would be allowed. Well, that didn't make too many people happy, that's for sure. And you were only allowed to bring in 1 bottle of water (sans cap).

The worst part I'd say was the lack of merchandise. NONE was set up at all on Saturday prior to the gates opening. A couple of thousand people who camped out could easily have bought their merchandise while waiting in the hot sun all day, and then returned it to their cars or whatever. But noooooooooooooo. When we finally got led in, we were able to walk by the first booths (still outside of the stadium), but no one wanted to lose their place in line to buy anything. So we get inside and get our spot by the b-stage about 4:30-4:45. But I heard the lines were already long for merchandise. I had a friend that said she checked a couple of times throughout the evening, and the booths were 40-50 deep ALL AROUND, and may have taken an hour easily to obtain anything. Plus you would have to carry a bag of merch. around with you all night during the show (difficult to do in GA). So after the show, we go to the booth, and they are basically sold out of all shirts and won't sell anything on display. I got 5 buttons, and limped all the way back to the car and the massive traffic jam in trying to get out. So I'm pissed about the whole merchandise situation, as Maddy & I didn't get anything, nor did I get anything for friends :angry: And from what I heard, there wasn't any special Hawaii shirts. Maybe just the regular shirts that happened to say Hawaii as the city on the back :sigh:

Roland of Gilead said:
This is extremely pathetic. Don't go floor if you're NOT going to have the time to wait for it. Otherwise, go floor, but accept that you end up where you are when you decide to show up.

You know, you see crap like this and you see why a lottery system would have its use.

I agree. If 90% of the "people in line" aren't actually waiting in line, it creates an ugly situation. If things happen the same way next tour, I'll be paying 50 homeless people to spend two nights in line on my behalf. Then I'll sell the spots one by one to the highest bidders--about an hour before the show--and give the money to the homeless shelter.

bfloxng said:

You know much that is hidden, laddie. :wink:

:shifty:

:wink:

gotta say that although i was a bit sad that i couldn't make it to hawaii to see the stadium version of Vertigo, i don't miss the line politics at all... :sigh:

despite the problems with GA, i hope that everyone who went was able to enjoy the show- it sounds like it was fantastic! :up:

This happened in Boston last December on both nights, sorry you had the same thing happen in Hawaii.

To start lining up 2 days before a show is ridiculous and I blame the venues for allowing it to happen.

But some of those you refer to aren't from u2.com they are on this site!!

Sad thing is where will this go for future tours? Oh wait they can go and start being line nazi's at the venues when the dates are announced 6 months before!!! :rolleyes:

Hope you still enjoyed the gig though!

The bottle of water sans cap. I even bought a bottle inside, and they are required to take the cap off. I understand it's to prevent the bottle being thrown as a weapon or some ridiculous thing. Didn't tell me I couldn't have cap until after I'd paid. I nearly grabbed a capped one in a bin and ran off but opted not to risk getting ejected.

So near the end of the show, the useless security around the B stages did something actually useful. Cases of sealed water bottles lined the barriers and they handed out the still sealed bottles to GA people. Yay for hypocrisy!

Yes, they were handing out water near the b-stages all night, thankfully. And when going thru with my water bottle originally, I was holding it by the cap area, and the security person was looking/talking to someone who had just walked in, so I just kept walking and got to keep the cap on my water :shh:

I was curious to see everyone's take on "THE LINE" and how it went. I think its sad that people showed up on Thursday, when the event was supposed to allow line up at 6 PM on Friday. It created a panic and people showed up to save spaces, which would have been avoided if people actually followed the events rules.

The real issue is that some fans think they should not have to follow the rules, honor system, or even the event locations policies.. and that is wrong. What was ultimately gained by showing up on Thursday instead of Friday? Did you really get THAT MUCH CLOSER??

The line should start when the line is supposed to start. People should take care of each other in there.. and be honest about their placement. If you have to leave for a little bit... so be it, so long as its not all day or night.. I dont have a problem with it... just so long as your time was put in.

I just really thought it was crazy to start on Thursday, wether you stayed the whole time or not. If the event organizers say Friday 6 PM... who are you to change that. Especially for a show that so many people were traveling for... many people set up their travel itinerarys according to the line up.

In general, we thought the Hawaii stadium procedures were lax all around. They did not have the ability to scan the tickets - just tore the end off. Surprised we are not getting reports of counterfeit ticket problems. They checked our tickets at the entrance to our section but we could come and go with no ticket. So, as the PJ set approached, our MM lower section (Adam's side) was innundated with folks from GA and upper level seats. When it started to get out of control (6 people standing in a space for 2 seats), someone got a stadium person to come down and move the squatters out. But once the stadium person left, the squatters returned.

Luckily our row got there early and we kept the squatters out. We'd never experienced this before in the seats. Maybe Hawaii is just too laid back or they just don't handle that many big concerts.

I was also surprised that they didn't scan tickets.

But yeah, the line situation was out of control. I got there at 4am on Saturday (plenty early for me) and made it into pen 2. Our pen appeared to be the most sparse. Pens 1 and 3 were totally packed full of people, but we had lots of breathing room. Not sure how that happened.

Unfortunately some people in our pen decided that it was time to line up without being given any notice by security, so we all put our gear away and stood around for a couple hours. People would get frustrated, dissolve the line, and then get back in minutes later, moving into a different spot each time. People in the back of the pen ended up at the front of the line, etc. You could easily lose or gain 50 spots with each line shift. It really wasn't very efficient. This basically screwed the people who got there earliest.

People around me in line were talking about how the first 50-ish people in pen 1 had roped themselves off with caution tape. Is that true? It really had a lot of people in pen 2 upset when the word spread. If that did happen, I'd like to extend a big fuck you to those people because that's some incredibly childish behavior.

In any case, I made it to the second row at Adam's b-stage. The people on the rail had been there for 2 days. Camping out didn't give them too much of an advantage. I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

Aloha Stadium did a terrible job handling the line. It seemed to be pretty much in order in the morning, because they were being diligent about checking wristbands upon exit and reentry for bathroom breaks, etc. They claimed that there was a 2-hour time limit for leaving the line, which was WAY too long, but at least they had some kind of rule.
But then it all went to hell anyway, and by mid-afternoon you could enter and exit pen 2 without your wristband even being checked.

This is Amiee posting under my huband's account. I'm usually only on Zootopia - and that's only when I have time - but you guys have some good posts here!! I've been missing out!

This was a very short & expensive trip for us, plus I'm short, so I wanted to make sure I had a rail spot for this show. We got to Hawaii late Thursday night (9PMish) & took a cab by the stadium to see if there was already a line. We saw a small group (6-8) people across from McDonald's and asked if they were camping out... they said "no". Even though they were in U2 shirts, and looked like the same "line nazi's" I'd encountered so many times in Chicago - I believed them. So we called friends who had a hotel and crashed on their floor until Friday morning. We got to the stadium at 10AM Friday, and though I probably only saw about 40 people there - somehow I was #165. It was unfair CRAP!!!! I still got a spot on the front rail, just a bit off to Adam's side - so it wasn't bad and I am VERY happy!! But while we're on the subject - I just can't stand that one "group" of folks who always seem to make their own rules. One thing that I enjoyed though, was watching some of their faces Friday night after sound check when security told us we'd only have an hour to leave. HA!! The panic!!! I didn't mind at all because I had everything I needed..... but to see them all whining was quite enjoyable. There were a lot of "I don't have my ticket with me so I need longer than an hour" excuses. I don't know about you - but I flew 12 hours to get to that show and my ticket did not leave my sight from the SECOND I left my home in Nashville, TN until I handed it over at the turnstile!

Despite the fact that things got crappy once we went into the stadium, I still really liked the hour (and after the whining... two hour) limit they set. And though things weren't perfect, I appreciate all the venue did for us. Made it a much better experience than I feared it would be.

Hi Kevin...but holy crap, you got to go to freakin' HAWAII !!!!!!!!!!! Think back to Pittsburgh and that cold rain...

I think the venue did all they could to discourage people from lining up so %#(%^ early. In all honesty, if I had a GA ticket I might have been there too... although leaving all your sh*t right in the line when you went in, that isnt cool at all.

Well I know some people who had both GA & seats for the show, and once they heard what was going down with the camping/Thursday/Friday crap, they opted out for enjoying Hawaii and sitting in their seats. And speaking of "the pens", I thought pen 1 & 2 people were numbered. When you got to pen 3, we were not. And same thing happened about everyone suddenly getting in a massive long line 1-2 hours in advance and people from the back ending up in front and such. No organization whatsoever there. They could have easily have numbered people as they walked in. And you didn't get a wristband or anything UNLESS you left the pen. I never left the premises, I just walked around looking for people I recognized and knew were to be there. :shrug:

Either that or take a page from the Stones and just divide the floor into sections and sell tickets for each section. Will have to be more expensive but probably worth it. Offer floor seats to fan club members first then to general public. Technology should be able to solve this problem! Aloha had no ability to scan tickets so they could not do the random selection for the ellipse.

Pen 2 didn't get numbers. Well, maybe the people in the front of the pen were numbered, but most of us weren't. I was about 2/3 back in the pen. When I arrived in the morning, a guy came up to me and told me he was number 500-something, and he was in my pen. So I guess some people had them, but not many.

I've been screwed by the lottery, so I'm not anxious to see it come back. It does take a lot of control away from the "line nazis" though, which I guess is the plus side to it.

Hearing about all the GA line BS is a little depressing, and I'm really sorry to hear about what went on in Hawaii. Even if it is first come, first served, like in the past, people should be required to actually wait in line!
I experienced the BS last year. My brother and I drove over 900 miles and lined up the afternoon before, sleeping overnight in the snow. A lot of other honest people did the same. But a few hours before the show, large groups of warm, well rested people suddenly appeared in line ahead of us.
I have had enough of the GA line crap, unless something changes.

Back
Top Bottom