HAWAII: Lining Up Two Days Early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

skjuls said:
we were told when we signed up to go to our hotel and sleep and to come back in the morning.

Our group was prepared to camp out.....

(Almost) everyone who showed up early was prepared to camp out. But I've explained before why there was no camping out. However, some will never believe that others were also prepared to camp out but weren't there because there was no reason to.

Personally, I think the security is more to blame than the fans. Sure there were "rules" about the 6pm starting for lineup, but if noone enforces the rules and some fans see there is a flaw in the system, they're gonna push it, and tell their friends, and they will tell their friends, and so on. If nothing was being enforced, then what rules were they breaking, really?

I ended up in the 3rd pen where the guards lined us up quite nicely and that was it. Someone got the idea to form a line and all hell broke loose, and they did nothing to tame the chaos. Why the hell line us up if people can just jump to the front anyway?

I understand they had been out there for most of the day, and were tired, and hard working. But I work with event planning, and I know what it takes to enforce some sort of organized line structure, and I didn't see much of an effort to maintain what they had started.

I have no idea how the wristband system worked. First of all, they didn't tell us about it. Someone else in line told us til much later. Secondly, my wristband number did not match the number on the list. Thirdly, I *never* signed out when I left, and I didn't know that I had to.

That's why I'm saying, it was a lack of enforcement. If people (like me) don't know what the heck is going on, because noone tells us, then what can you expect?

Re: Re: HAWAII: Lining Up Two Days Early

Popmartijn said:

So no, I'm not such a big hypocrite that I stir shit of something I wasn't taking part in. That I just blurt out some nonsense just because I wasn't willing to line up and wait and got some seats. That I was accusing people of one thing and then turn around and not follow up on it. I'm not someone who showed up early AND then started accusing others of showing up early too. I mean, you were there at 4 AM, so what are you talking about?

1) I was more than willing to line up.
2) The reason I came somewhere between 2 and 4 am was because number 1 in line, among others, called me and said a line had already formed.
3) I left because you and no one had any right to give people (including me) numbers and then allow them to leave for a whole day. Have a line, if the police disband it, then there is no line until the next day. Plain and simple.
4) This "line" did not represent any sort of public policy. It was in fact a "secret" until word spread, and even then word spread only to "insiders" who were fortunate to have people who knew call them and tell them.
5) Nothing you are going to say will convince me that anyone had a right to take a list and let people leave (with their spot held) until 6pm the next day. If I had got there and even half of the 91 people on the list were "in line," I would have stayed and camped and been quite content with number 92.
6) Your response to SuperFan (who was number 1 on your "list" by the way) is exactly right--most Stadium gigs' lineups started at best 24 hours prior, which is how this line should have started.
7) I had a seat AND a GA.
8) The "stagehand" you refer to (number 9) had no superior right to a place in line because she was, as you put it, "working all day as a local stage hand...so all U2 fans could enjoy the show." That was her choice, and the show would have gone on without her. If she was "volunteering" for this multimillion dollar for-profit venture, then she is a fool. If she was a paid employee, then she was at work, and the fact that she was working for U2 gives her no special privileges in a fan line. Either way, be it at the beach or at the stage, she was not in line. Here's an idea: Why not just hold places in line for all of U2's staff so they can have the first 5 rows on the rail?

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

And yes, getting people into the stadium was extremely well done. I don't think I've ever seen such a quiet entrance for a GA line ever. No mad rush for the front of the stage (at least, not until you entered that front section), no chaos, none. Lots of other venues could learn from this.

:up:

Thanks for your feedback, Marty. I do agree with your statement above. I wonder why they didn't do this WAY earlier? Why herd us into pens in such a systematic way, leading fans to believe we'd be herded out in an orderly fashion, but then let it become this huge free-for-all with the "line" in the pens being 10 people wide? They should have just had us go line up in the thinner corals they made going into the stadium. The pen thing would've worked OK if security had followed through with what they started, or at least told us they weren't going to follow through so we fans could've developed a method to police ourselves.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

Popmartijn said:

(Almost) everyone who showed up early was prepared to camp out. But I've explained before why there was no camping out. However, some will never believe that others were also prepared to camp out but weren't there because there was no reason to.

No, we were not told to come back in the afternoon. B said to come back in the morning and see what happens and what happened a big long line.

Also, a lot of people did just show up right at 6 pm...............

Next time, someone starts the line the rules should be consistent. I think that is what we are trying to convey here.

So far, you have said come back in the afternoon..... well the majority of the people have said they were told go get a good night's sleep and check back in the morning....

Also, what was the point of roll call if no one would get called out for not being there???

Just be consistent.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

skjuls said:
No, we were not told to come back in the afternoon. B said to come back in the morning...a lot of people did just show up right at 6 pm...the majority of the people have said they were told go get a good night's sleep and check back in the morning...

Just be consistent.

When I first showed up early morning (2-4am) I was told that I and everyone else was to come back in the morning, then I was hearing afternoon, then I heard "before 6pm." Like previous posters acknowledge, #1 in the line didn't even run the line. He cut his deal and then left.

This is the point of my whole original post: Just showing up first (2nd, 3rd, etc.), and leaving, should mean NOTHING! If I showed up first and expected to stay #1, I would have parked my arse on that pavement and left only to eat, use the restroom, and buy more sunscreen. :wink:

I digress: This thread is getting tiring.

With all sincerity:

(1) I am thankful that everyone had a fabulous time in Hawaii-however they chose to spend it;

(2) I am grateful we were all treated to a fantastic and perhaps even historic show;

(3) Under the uncertain circumstances, I am inclined to believe those who were in the original line (actually IN line, I mean) were sincerely doing their best to manage a line and keep their own rightful spots in line (given the fact that they actually STAYED in line).

(4) As for those who cheated or tried to cheat the system, maybe one day they'll wake up and realize that they didn't fool anyone but themselves.

i think the original intentions were good, but for fans to try to run something like that can only lead to problems

Chizip said:
i think the original intentions were good, but for fans to try to run something like that can only lead to problems

Yep, because apart from the many that are thankful, there'll always be some who can't stop complaining. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

bfloxng said:

With all sincerity:

(1) I am thankful that everyone had a fabulous time in Hawaii-however they chose to spend it;

(2) I am grateful we were all treated to a fantastic and perhaps even historic show;

(3) Under the uncertain circumstances, I am inclined to believe those who were in the original line (actually IN line, I mean) were sincerely doing their best to manage a line and keep their own rightful spots in line (given the fact that they actually STAYED in line).

(4) As for those who cheated or tried to cheat the system, maybe one day they'll wake up and realize that they didn't fool anyone but themselves.

Since I get the feeling that a certain recent post was directed at me, I am now forced to quote myself. :|

D'Oh!

following on with my time spent there during the day, i can only speak for myself...

as my user name indicates, i was #28 in line, i got there at 7am, and i stayed there ALL day and ALL night. except of course to help K-MARTS bottom line buying camping supplies.

every time i left, i returned within a short period of time, and reaquainted myself with those around me, so that i came to be called #28! HA! i loved it. if you're going to have a name in a line-up, it might as well be your line #!!!

i totally enjoyed the entire experience, because i like the drama. i walked up and down the line during the day, to see friends stuck way behind me, and i'd listen to the chatter of peeps wondering and worrying about who was where, when they got there, and all the assorted convo that goes along with lining up. i like spending the night out, going without sleep, eating crap food, drinking crap coffee, smoking too many ciggs, and chatting with peeps from around the world. my best experiences on this tour came from days and nights on the line. and i wouldn't have it any other way. it's a trial by fire with a HUGE payoff...

and i feel for those who got confused, got way-laid by traffic, and maybe carried a bit too much emotion into the line experience. but as has been said, it was all good, once the band hit the stage. at least it was for me. on the rail, edges b-stage, and having bono grasp my hand, and look into my eyes...priceless!

i did twickers, croke, monterrey, mexico city twice, and honolulu on this tour, plus 21 arena's around n. america, and some of the people i met i still know to this day. it's just been the most amazing experience of my life. and for a guy of 53, i doubt one will come along to equal it!!

I agree this thread is getting old............

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not complaining, just voicing an opinion based on my experience in the line. I have been in many and this was the worst of the lot.

Sigh!!

Next tour!!!!!!!!!

28 - I'm glad you were there all day, every day. There were plenty of people who "camped" in their hotel rooms and enjoyed days at the beach and pool. I ran into some of them at my hotel on Friday. I may have painted with too broad a brush since I don;t know you or your friends or who you were with , but nonetheless:
1.we have been to a dozen shows this tour, the kids around 8, primarily GA, so the school lesson is unnecessary. our GA experiences have been almost entirely positive. others help us, we help them, and because I'm tall as well, I always make sure that kids, teens, or shorter gals get a chance for a spot in front of me. In the spirit of reciprocity and spreading the wealth, I enjoy giving it, without condition.
2. we arrived at 6 am on saturday, and were in the 2nd row, moments behind you on the rail. We all knew you earned your spot, but as the night went on it certainly appeared that there were a number of people who had not waited were being gifted rail access based on their friendship with those to your right. Obviously there was room for these people, but 8 inches couldn't be spared for a kid? Yes, I was hopeful my kid could move up, so he could actually see.
3. I don't recall you engaging me - sorry. My son is not conditioned to opening up to strangers, thus he was not drawn into conversation with you. I'm not sure why this would be a prerequisite for being nice, but I wouldn't be so quick as to surmise someone's interest level based on this parameter. the kid has been onstage at U2 shows and elsewhere - trust me - concerts are his thing.
4. the overriding feeling we got was a very territorial vibe, primarily from the woman next to you who jumped down my wife's throat. This was unexpected, unnecessary, and frankly, contributed to this particular overall unpleasant GA experience, comparatively speaking.
5. peace. its the holidays after all.

Last edited:
tryan, thanks for the feedback...

i have no 'pre-requisite' for being nice, and i feel like i was being nice to your son. and i was willing to give him what i said i would...a hand. i was cordial to you as well. that's the person i am. and i totally understand his reticence at talking with me, in that moment. i could see that he was likely overwhelmed by me, which is why i was careful of what i said. i completely respected his age, and his reluctance. i didn't browbeat him, nor had any expectation of how he might be able to engage me.

i still stand by my behaviour though. i've been at that spot for 5 stadium shows, and being responsible for a child, much less an adult, was more than i was prepared to do. i DID think of his safety. and i cannot, nor will i, speak to others behaviour around me. and i personally didn't let MY friends squeak into any space that might have existed. the tall guy to my right had to stand behind, and he i knew quite well.

personally? i respected your efforts, and understood what it is that you wanted for your son. i simply wasn't able to make it happen. there clearly is a 'territorial vibe' at the rail. and i don't want to be faulted for having that vibe, as you call it. i did the best i could at the time, and i appreciate your understanding of where I am coming from. there were other people involved. i COULD have let my friends in had i chosen to, but again, they would have taken space from me, just as your son would have.

peace to you.

You know, if people had one experience that sucked out of multiple concert experiences, I'd count myself as quite fortunate. Too bad we down under don't always get the opportunity to have multiple concert experiences.....

Popmartijn said:

Yep, because apart from the many that are thankful, there'll always be some who can't stop complaining. Oh well, you can't please everyone.
I can't believe this thread is still alive, over a week after the show and WELL over a week after any "lines" began.

Once again...I am thankful I had my own assigned seat, and my experience was pretty much 100% positive, beginning to end.

Hi Guys, all this talk about the kids in line and some of the difficulties associated sure makes me glad we got there early (#176-179). As for our experience, we could not have asked for such quality people around us. From the GA line, to our rail spot, everyone around us were great. We were on Edge's inside rail which worked out perfect for our 8 & 5 year old. Rocco <-sp? ran by and shook their hands and the look on their faces were priceless. As for the camp-out as we called it, it was our famlies first camping experience and I wouldn't change a thing.. well, except for the wind Friday, that blew!!! Steve and Ashley from LA, if you read this, my kids would not stop asking for you two till probably wednesday or thursday after the show. Steve, you made quite an impression on them and really made the overall experience one that none of us will soon forget. I'm still amazed with the card tricks. Homeless in Hawaii, and Prescut not Prescott, AZ... it wouldn't be the same without you guys as well. Thanks for making our family vacation so fun.

Kelly, Nikki, Dylan & Jordan Palmer (fourpalmers)

Back
Top Bottom