HAWAII: Lining Up Two Days Early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not hold the list in Hawaii. I ask for the list for a few times before 4 p.m. the night before the show. I did a count with the wristband numbers from myself #1 through # 200. Then I did it again only from #2 through #70. I will defend the Flagship people since it was stress free and they kept the line and list in tact. We did merge 2 lists together when we met after the gates across from McDonalds which closed at 5 p.m. Thursday.

I knew if the line start we would get majority of the U.S. fans complaining about starting it too early. Ususally in the foreign countries the lines start 2 to 5 days in advance.

There is no way to control so many people for a stadium show. There were no problems when I went to Monterrey and I was #38. I stayed in line majority of the time with skjuls on intereference. We went back to the hotel room in the evening and the day of the show to wash up.

I was in line until 10:30 p.m. Thursday night until I appeared at Dukes later in the evening. I went back to my room and slept for a few hours and arrived early before 6 a.m. and the people that stayed overnight got some sleep at their hotel in the morning for a few hours. We all did sleep in line the night before the show at the stadium from #'s 1 to around #50.

Kevin I heard you were drunk when you were arguing with the person holding the list at 2 a.m. in the morning. You were in the middle of the road and taking your shirt off again.:laugh: That was what I was told when I arrived early in the morning. I knew you were going to do another Portland again. :lol:

Due to the line moving and stopping around 6 p.m. it allowed the cruise ship people to get back in line. Plus the fact that you can easily jump the fence and get in line in the pen. They needed more security on the front side of the pen than the back side or the sides of the pen. That did not make any sense.

Last edited:
Super_Fan said:

Kevin I heard you were drunk when you were arguing with the person holding the list at 2 a.m. in the morning. You were in the middle of the road and taking your shirt off again.:laugh: That was what I was told when I arrived early in the morning. I knew you were going to do another Portland again. :lol:

please, Kevin, say you didn't do this. Not again. Never. again.

romi said:
please, Kevin, say you didn't do this. Not again. Never. again.

Ha! The shirt was never off, and I was in the middle of the road because I was in a car, and the middle of the road was the only place that had room for a car. Although...I do not deny arguing with the list holder, simply inquiring as to where the other EIGHTY THREE people were who were on the list.:wink:

1.i was not in Hawaii
2. from what i hear for the most part the line was well organized
3. if u weren't in the ga line...why u whining about it.
4. calling a bunch of people loudmouths...especially when you do not know them and they are not on here is really cool...i wish i could be so cool!
5. i have spent many a day and night in line with super fan on the vertigo tour...he is crazy...lol...(we all are) but he is not trying to scam anyone.
6. NO one is perfect so who ever ran the line give them some credit.
7. Re: The flagship and the night in Boston...i was there
8. The so called "flagship" did not start the line in Boston on any nite. And the line did not start 2 days before the show.
9. re: staying in line and letting friends in...in Boston a group of fans behind the "flagship" dropped their gear and did not return till the morning...and from what i hear ...it was not the first time this "group" planted stuff and left. some of you are posting on this thread pointing fingers and stirring up crap...(or are friends with those people)
in addition, some of u whiny fans let some people in Saturday morning.

10. re the flagship: it was staged. plain and simple. it was planned with the band days before. I was hanging with the band and crew in Montreal the week before....We are close with the band. bono had this great idea. he said you guys should go freeze your asses off in Boston. camp over night in the freezing cold. then he said plot your way to the front because its obvious that you are entitled!!! Then during the song One I will pull you loudmouths on stage and create a very cool moment. Then he said “you are better than all other u2 fans!!!! damn it you should be on stage!!!” Then Bono said “just think of all the fans i am going to piss off on interference for bringing up your group of friends with flags. they r going to be so bitter and jealous that they will continue to bring this up a year later. they will try to ruin the moment for you but don't let them. some people can never be happy for others.”

Re: Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

bfloxng said:

The person holding the list was a flagship member, and many on the list (about 10 of the first 30)--but conspicuously absent for 24-36 hours--were also flagship members.

there were 5 maybe 6 flagshippers from boston in hawaii and at the front of the queue.

where exactly you're getting all your info from i dont know, but the point is quite clearly a lot off it is wrong/made up/exaggerated/complete and utter bollocks

Re: Re: Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

digsy said:

there were 5 maybe 6 flagshippers from boston in hawaii and at the front of the queue.

where exactly you're getting all your info from i dont know, but the point is quite clearly a lot off it is wrong/made up/exaggerated/complete and utter bollocks

The FACT remains that when I got to the line, there were 6 people there and 91 on the list. That is not a line. Like I said previously, using that logic, people could go to the arena sraight from the airport, take a picture of themself in front of the arena, and show up hours or a day later claiming they were there first (by simply showing the time on the picture in their camera) and therefore their spot in line should be held. If people aren't physicaly in the line for an extended period of time, they should not be on the list. The purpose of a line is to BE IN LINE--not to just make a list and "hold" people's spots because they mozied on down for five minutes.

ruffian said:
I did GA for Hawaii and there was indeed a list on Thursday night with 17 people on it who were friends...and not in line. We were told to come back in the morning, which we did. Along with most of the other GA fans, we waited out on the sidewalk all day Friday, leaving only to get coffee and food down the street. When they moved us on to the venue property, number 9 in line showed up for the first time since signing the list. I couldn't fucking believe it. All her friends allowed her to join the line, and they all knew she'd been on the beach all day. She got called out in line by a bunch of people but of course wasn't going to leave. I

There were also people who didn't get in line all day Friday who were on the list, and they all went on the dinner cruise and showed up in line AFTER that (even though they'd been on the list since Thursday). Not cool, given that other people sucked it up and waited.

Some people in my group of friends did leave to take a shower at 6:30 in the morning on Saturday--we took turns going to the hotel to change and come back. So yeah, I was clean for the show. There's enough B.O. among GAers--so let's not hold cleanliness against anyone :wink:

The show was fabulous, and it was awesome to get to meet some people from here in person, at last. But the politics of the GA don't ever seem to improve. :tsk:

There were many who just showed up.....................

Sigh!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT

bfloxng said:

The FACT remains that when I got to the line, there were 6 people there and 91 on the list. That is not a line. Like I said previously, using that logic, people could go to the arena sraight from the airport, take a picture of themself in front of the arena, and show up hours or a day later claiming they were there first (by simply showing the time on the picture in their camera) and therefore their spot in line should be held. If people aren't physicaly in the line for an extended period of time, they should not be on the list. The purpose of a line is to BE IN LINE--not to just make a list and "hold" people's spots because they mozied on down for five minutes.

we were told when we signed up to go to our hotel and sleep and to come back in the morning.

Our group was prepared to camp out.....

all i know is that if i had been waiting in line for 2 days straight, and then all of a sudden people who were hanging out at the beach and going on cruises got in line in front of me because friends were "saving their spot", i would have been a little irritated

Chizip said:
all i know is that if i had been waiting in line for 2 days straight, and then all of a sudden people who were hanging out at the beach and going on cruises got in line in front of me because friends were "saving their spot", i would have been a little irritated

we were!

when we would say something, they said either

a) I have a number
b) no one told me I couldn't leave
c) we were here
d) fill in some stupid ass response

they wouldn't leave, many just showed up right at 6 pm when the gates opened.....it didn't help matters that instead of renumbering us we kept the old numbers, we had to wait until soundcheck was over to go into the pens thus allowing more people to come back into the line

When it was mentioned to the roll call people, they didn't care that people were cutting back in.

The line sucked!

^^^ Yep, what she said! Oh well, at least i have the peace of mind of knowing that i played by the rules and didn't do anything shady to secure a place in line. Instead of being mad at these people, i actually feel a bit sorry for them that this is what they have to stoop to. It's quite sad really.

skjuls said:

we were!

when we would say something, they said either

a) I have a number
b) no one told me I couldn't leave
c) we were here
d) fill in some stupid ass response

they wouldn't leave, many just showed up right at 6 pm when the gates opened.....it didn't help matters that instead of renumbering us we kept the old numbers, we had to wait until soundcheck was over to go into the pens thus allowing more people to come back into the line

When it was mentioned to the roll call people, they didn't care that people were cutting back in.

The line sucked!

i'm with you--yelling at people and pointing out that they had not been in line had NO effect. Hans the Zootopian came back in line after going on the cruise and the people behind him were furious and called security because he'd been gone all day. Nothing happened, and he kept his place in line while the people behind him had been sitting on the sidewalk all day getting pelted with flying asphalt (though we all decided it was a damn good facial exfoliation :wink: ). Really, if the people running the line want to protect their 15 or 20 friends there is nothing to do if security won't act on it. I'm totally not a stickler for people leaving to eat or shower or even sleep for a couple hours if they want. But being away two days is a total outrage and abuse of the system.

I swore I wasn't going to get involved in this mess, cause well, I didn't. My ass didn't get there til 10:30 PM cause I was too busy enjoying our private pool, going to the beach and eating some lovely shrimp and steak from a shrimp truck off the :drool: :drool: Leeward Coast to bother with line any earlier.

I was number 630 in line. And let me tell you, not being involved in any drama ruled. Being second row didn't rule as much, but hey you win some, you lose some.

However, just wanted to point out that Hans was actually in line behind me in the second pen. So while he may have tried to reclaim his earlier number at some point, he either did get kicked out or thought about it better and moved himself back.

And sorry I didn't get to see you Ruff!! :)

Last edited:
Miroslava said:
I swore I wasn't going to get involved in this mess, cause well, I didn't. My ass didn't get there til 10:30 PM cause I was too busy enjoying our private pool, going to the beach and eating some lovely shrimp and steak from a shrimp truck off the :drool: :drool: Leeward Coast to bother with line any earlier.

I was number 630 in line. And let me tell you, not being involved in any drama ruled. Being second row didn't rule as much, but hey you win some, you lose some.

However, just wanted to point out that Hans was actually in line behind me in the second pen. So while he may have tried to reclaim his earlier number at some point, he either did get kicked out or thought about it better and moved himself back.

And sorry I didn't get to see you Ruff!! :)

Miroslava,

It was great meeting you Saturday night. Hey you still got a good spot. Boy did I need that rail..

I never thought there would be a day that I would have to help physically remove a girl from our spots but we had to protect Maddy and Darryl wanted his spot back.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

It was great to meet you too Jules! And yep, I can't complain about my spot, it's just funny, cause the other couple times I lined up THAT "early") (i.e. 11 PM the night before the show) was within the first 10 people in line. Hawaii was nuts!

And that little blonde chick and her mom were :coocoo: :crazy:

Miroslava said:
It was great to meet you too Jules! And yep, I can't complain about my spot, it's just funny, cause the other couple times I lined up THAT "early") (i.e. 11 PM the night before the show) was within the first 10 people in line. Hawaii was nuts!

And that little blonde chick and her mom were :coocoo: :crazy:

She was with her mom. Damn!

Gosh, her excuse was she's short. WEll I'm short too and I waited a long time. Sheesh!! We weren't having any of it. Did her mom do anything as well?

I have never been that violent before in my life at a concert!!

That little blonde chick is the one who kept trying to knock me over. You're talking about the ones who left during WOWY, right?

mads said:
That little blonde chick is the one who kept trying to knock me over. You're talking about the ones who left during WOWY, right?

well the blonde moved to be behind Lynne later on so I don't know if they finally left.

Where were you standing exactly? I was to the left of Maddy at the step and next to Darryl when he wasn't getting shoved..........

That blonde got in front of Miroslava and her friend (I can't remember her name right now!)

We were ready to smack down OTX people as well!!

I was second row right behind the step. I was standing behind the other little girl (not Maddy, but the one with the big sunglasses). The lady in front of me had red hair, and she was standing to the right of the guy who pulled Maddy up to the rail. Not sure of her hame.

At one point I think I was sitting right next to Miroslava (to the right of her), but I went to get a t-shirt before Rocko and things had shifted a bit by the time I got back.

But yes, those two obnoxious women left during WOWY. They moved in front of me about 1/3 of the way through U2's set. The little blonde held her camera up the whole time, partially blocking my view of the main stage. :mad:
The mother pushed my mom back to the third row and took her place. My mom was too tired to fight it, but I got mad and not-so-quietly yelled "well I AM ANGRY ABOUT IT." Not sure if you were close enough to hear that confrontation, but that lady just rolled her eyes at me. Bitch.

Miroslava said:
My ass didn't get there til 10:30 PM ....

I was number 630 in line.

:eek:

whoa, that's insane! :crack: i wonder if things were so nuts because this was the last night of the tour, or if *maybe* the lottery actually did help to discourage the crazy line-ups... not that i'm a fan of the lottery, but hawaii GA sounds like it was awful!

I was 236 in line, and didn't get there until about 1/2pm the day before the concert. I couldn't believe people were lining up since the day before the day before. And i was quite annoyed..because as soon as some people do it, everyone has join in. If these people had left it a bit later to begin lining up them not everyone would have had to spend half their holidays in the damn line.
Although saying that I hear alot of people didn't even stay in the line half the time. That annoys me - if you want to get to the front, you work for it! And I've you're not prepared to wait in line then I'm sorry but you don't deserve to get to the front. I had travelled so far for this concert and decided I would line up for such a long time based on the fact that it was for this concert that I was even there. And it really annoys me that while alot of people hung round in the line, others got to do what the liked in hawaii and still get infront of me.

Saying that.. I think the one hour(/two hour) rule was unfair, as some people were staying far away and for them to go back to their hotels and get cleaned up would take longer than that. There needed to be a balance somewhere, and there really wasn't one!

(But it was a brilliant concert and well worth the wait for a rail spot..:drool: )

ruffian said:

the people behind him had been sitting on the sidewalk all day getting pelted with flying asphalt (though we all decided it was a damn good facial exfoliation :wink: ).
Oh gawd, that was funny :lol::| Thank goodness for my hoody. I was cleaning the dirt off me for days :p

Truly worth it. What an amazing show :rockon:

Miroslava said:
Being second row didn't rule as much, but hey you win some, you lose some.

I don't ever want to live in a world where second row at a U2 concert is seen as a bad thing. :wink:

As someone who doesn't deal well with the this kind of thing (GA lines, drama, being pissed at the unfairness of some things), I have to say I'm kind of glad I didn't go to Hawaii now.

I probably won't do GA again until I learn how to handle such things in a zenlike manner. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom