Getting guitar signed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bak_

Babyface
Hi everyone,
My husband and I were in Toronto#2 GA (we were #18 and 19).
Special 'hello' if you recognize us..!
On Wednesday, there was a guy trying to get his guitar signed by Bono and Larry.. Does anyone know if he got them???
We would like to get ours signed too when they come to Montreal.

Thx :)

Vertigo
Toronto, Sept.14 2005-GA
Toronto, Sept.12 2005-GA

Elevation
Montreal, Oct. 12, 2001-GA
Montreal, May 28, 2001-GA
Montreal, May 27, 2001

PopMart
Montreal, Nov. 2, 1997

I wouldn't be surprised. Some people get guitars signed and throw them up on eBay...and there are some musicians who just don't want to mar the guitar! When April and I saw Ryan Adams, a fan wanted him to sign his guitar, and Ryan said it was too nice of a guitar for him to put his signature on...but he signed the guitar strap instead. So...mayhaps that's an option.

I was outside waiting for the guys to arrive (I think May 12th) and there was a girl who wanted her guitar signed. Once Bono got out of the car, he signed her guitar. She was estatic.

As a bassist....I would recommend taking off the pick guard and carrying that, instead of the full guitar. I have a few pick guards and wished I remembered to put one in my bag for Adam to sign. Instead I settled for his autograph on a photo I blew up. A pickguard is less threatening than a full guitar in someones face.

After it's signed just screw it back on your electric....

I'm not just a pretty face you know.... :D

Well I think I'll just get my vinyls signed instead of the guitar. I'd be sooooo dissapointed if Bono refused to sign it
Anyways.. my husband wasnt crazy about the idea.. Problem solved!
Im still curious about the guitar dude on Toronto#2. I hope he was lucky enough to get all 4 autographs...

NOOO Bono doesn't do guitars!! He openly said that in Toronto.... It is all because of the e-bay sales!! So if I were you I wouldn't even try....
You might get other signatures, but even Edge was uneasy about signing one.

there was a very aggressive guy trying to get a guitar signed (he just about knocked me into the street) during the fan meeting at Toronto 3, and the band did not sign. That night someone told me that he showed up as the band were leaving and was again so aggressive in pushing the guitar at Bono that Bono said, "get that the fuck away from me" and then he got in his car and left :|

why do fans behave that way?

"why do fans behave that way?"

....because those people who don't know when to give up aren't fans.

They're either fanatics or people looking to make a buck off U2.

I would have loved to have heard Bono say that to someone who deserved it! :applaud:

Here is my story of the one time that I know of when Bono signed a guitar for a young fan....but I doubt that this happens very often.

Enjoy!

06-19-2005 05:00 PM -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, it's Father's Day so I think it's appropriate to finally share the heart warming Bono story that I've been carrying with me since this happened on 12 May 2005 outside the United Center in Chicago.

That day I was standing in the first row of the fanline with afamily who had travelled 300 miles by car to attend the concert that night.

The mom and dad were in their 40's and had been U2 fans for 20 years. Their last U2 concert was Popmart and they were THRILLED to bring along their 11 year old daughter with them to Chicago to also see U2.

The young girl (whose name was ARIA - like the operatic song) was a budding electric guitarist and had brought her guitar with her in hopes that Bono and Edge would sign her guitar.

Some people, not wanting to totally burst her hopes, were gently telling Aria that U2 doesn't sign guitars for fear that they'll end up on ebay. I had a different feeling about that day. I kept telling Aria not to worry because I would get Bono to sign her guitar!

What even made me think that I could possibly influence the B-man was the fact that Bono and I had two very nice conversations on 9 and 10 May and I felt confident that the positive vibe that existed between him and I would be enough to persuade Bono to sign Aria's guitar.

When Bono finally arrived, Aria was excited. I told her again not to worry - I would get Bono to sign that guitar. When he approached us, he recognized me and said "Hello! Good to see you again." while smiling broadly.

I looked at Bono straight in his eyes and said "Bono, you have to sign her guitar." He stopped for a few seconds, looked at Aria and her parents and then looked back at me and I said again "Bono - sign her guitar. It's OK!" He must have trusted my judgment because the next thing we knew Bono was signing Aria's guitar! Everyone in the fan line was now cheering for this little girl.

Bono smiled at me again when he was done signing the guitar and said "See you later" while touching my arm.

After Bono was through with the fan line, Edge's car appeared next. When he got to Aria and saw Bono's signature already on Aria's guitar, Edge immediately signed it too.

Aria was elated - her dream had come true! Now her guitar had the signatures of her two favorite musicians and she said that she would never play that guitar again. (lol) She was so cute and sincerely grateful that I didn't mind not spending more time with the B-man. I had helped to fulfill this girl's dream.

I tell this story on Father's Day as another indication of just what a MAGNIFICENT MAN AND FATHER the B-man is. Aria did resemble Bono's daughter Eve when she was Aria's age, so maybe he saw a bit of his own child in Aria.

I hope you liked my Bono Father's Day story - it's all true.

I REALLY LOVE AND RESPECT BONO for all that he is and for all that he does.
-----------------------------------------------------------

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129998&perpage=15&pagenumber=2
:angel:

Bono has such a big heart!

hugehalo.gif

Hey Ruffian,
man... that's a terrible story... sometimes people forget that U2 are normal people like us... I'd react the same way as Bono did.
I wonder if we're talking about the same english guitar dude... He really didnt seem aggressive. But I guess, once the band arrives, some start to act crazy..
He got Edge and Adam's autograph, I really wished he'd get the other 2 but, if he was the one acting like that, that's not the way to go..
We gave up on getting our guitar signed.. vinyls will do!! , especially my "October" vinyl.

Jamila, that's a really cute story:)

thanks, everyone, for your kind words about that story.

and what is so very cool about that story is that it's completely true and certified by fellow Interferencers! :wink:

It seems like a piece of my 'October' vinyl sleeve (or cover.. I dont know what it called..) was eaten by some kind of animal...
Twelve years ago, in highschool, a guy who knew I was a U2 fan sold me October, War and Joshua Tree for 5$ each... He probably stole them from his uncle's basement. They didnt smell good either. I hope the 'boys' wont be insulted...!!

bak_ said:
It seems like a piece of my 'October' vinyl sleeve (or cover.. I dont know what it called..) was eaten by some kind of animal...
Twelve years ago, in highschool, a guy who knew I was a U2 fan sold me October, War and Joshua Tree for 5$ each... He probably stole them from his uncle's basement. They didnt smell good either. I hope the 'boys' wont be insulted...!!

:lol:

well, that should tip them off you're definitely not an ebay seller then . . . :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom