Denver 4/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8rattoon

The Fly
Denver 4/20 - whoa

Just got back from the Denver 1 show....
clearly the show was over 3 hrs ago but the bars downtown were too tempting!

As much as I want to give a rave review with my heart aching and brain churning a thousand miles a second....I can't. This is my 3rd U2 show and while it rocked outright, it felt inexplicably empty. The show was fantastic but there was one intangible that was missing and I can't seem to place what it was.

I had seats in the bleeders but my section seemed to be the only upper section with any passion for the music. My friend and I looked around during the show and all the other upper sections were firmly seated on their mundane asses throughout most of the concert.

They played the standard setlist for show #1 in each city. I refrain from scrutinizing the setlist song for song so here is a quick rundown:

HIGHLIGHTS:
- Love and Peace was great.
- Vertigo was AMAZING (much better than I expected, especially after the Stories for Boys snippet with the extra chorus included).
- SYCMIOYO was poignant to say the least, but the guitar line during the chorus was drowned out.
- NYD/SBS were INCREDIBLE, which I was absolutely not expecting.
- Streets lit a fire under everyone' heinie.
- RTSS was beautiful; I was afraid of sound loss but all the elements of the song were very lucid.
- Bono' speech concerning poverty preceding One was tremendously powerful, coupled with the synths in the background and the segue into the body of the song.
- The Achtung Baby trio absolutely rocks (the constant bass drum in Zoo Station), and is the most intense part of the show, but should be placed somewhere earlier in the setlist.

DETRACTORS:
- I was extremely excited for Elevation, but the song plain sucked. There have been many threads concerning the dismissal of this song from the setlist, and while I was previously incredulous of these remarks, I now agree. The intro (the Edge and Bono) is far too long.
- Miracle Drug starts off great but loses all energy after the quiet guitar intro w/Bono talking
- Hell hath no fury like a U2 purist scorned, but An Cat Dubh is AWFUL live. I am a huge fan of the Boy album but there is no connection b/t the audience and the band when this song is played. IMO, if they want to add a "roots" song, it should be October, I Will Follow, Drowning Man or Seconds.
- The crowd leaves the second that 40 ends, with no further singing. This seems to be happening at a lot of the first gigs in each city.

The lighting along the ellipse is incredible but the background/curtain lighting is lackluster. No synchronization between sound and visuals on that front. I can visualize a great strobe light visual for the two-note guitar solo in LAPOE. The First blast of white light in Streets is still MIA. The Africa speech in Streets is not bad, but the keyboard intro is ridiculously abbreviated. IMO that is what defines the ambience of the song.

Finally, I have to say the band is playing TIGHT. The music is almost flawless, and the only faltered lyrics occurred when Bono tried to add a few lines in the bridge of Beautiful Day about the rain (It was raining and hailing in Denver tonight).
The sound tech was very balanced except for the fact that Bono's vox were drowned out for the first 5 or 6 songs. For someone who does not know all the lyrics, it may be a confusing show to attend.

Going tomorrow, expecting better sound and a few tricks in the setlist. I may have been expecting too much but the show gets a 7/10 by U2 standards, and a 9.9/10 by all other standards. See you tomorrow and in Philly 5/14!

ITA on most of your post. I was in a suite on Club Level 2, and I was disappointed. This is my 10th U2 concert in my life and I don't believe I've ever been so......disinterested? I don't know if that was the right word.
I heard tech/sound trouble all night. In fact, I would venture to say that the sound just plain sucked. I belive that Edge is a ROCK GOD, but I'd LIKE to hear Bono sing as well, you know?
Highlights were the opening: I have friends who were at San Diego and Aneheim and they said "wait until you see how they come out" and I got total goosebumps. Zoo Station rocked, but the sound was bad. I enjoyed Bono's flub on Beautiful Day, but the best was Larry running to the front of the stage and all of them cracking up.
Downside? Agree with An Cat Dubh. Oy vey....Also, I am so over Streets....I can't believe how people freak out over that song.
I'll be there tonight, in a totally different location (section 144) and I expect the sound kinks to be worked out....I hope.
Also, being in a suite stunk. The people there were hardly interested in the show. In fact, some girl kept talking about the "mosh pit" in the front. I tried not to say anything and my husband had to hold me back. I think she was converted by the end of the show, although she bailed before "40". Some people just don't get it, do they?

Re: Denver 4/20 - whoa

8rattoon said:

I had seats in the bleeders but my section seemed to be the only upper section with any passion for the music. My friend and I looked around during the show and all the other upper sections were firmly seated on their mundane asses throughout most of the concert

I too sat up top, not bad seats though. when the band came out noone stood up. so i said fuck it and stood up.. i mean you pay 100 bucks for a concet to sit on your ass and not have a good time? once i stood most of the people around me stood acdcept for the people in the first 3 rows up top. o well. their loss not mine. but if i were on stage rockin i would want everyone up. it was great show , and in my oppinion i like the sound of a very heavy guitar/ and i would also like to hear bono so if they could figure a way to do boith then that would rock.

Re: Re: Denver 4/20 - whoa

mkdominatr said:

I too sat up top, not bad seats though. when the band came out noone stood up. so i said fuck it and stood up.. i mean you pay 100 bucks for a concet to sit on your ass and not have a good time? once i stood most of the people around me stood acdcept for the people in the first 3 rows up top. o well. their loss not mine. but if i were on stage rockin i would want everyone up. it was great show , and in my oppinion i like the sound of a very heavy guitar/ and i would also like to hear bono so if they could figure a way to do boith then that would rock.
wow from the tour really starting to kick off, back to people being dissapointed :(

I wonder if our expectations are too high....does that make sense? I don't know, I just expect good sound quality in general, whether I'm at a Nuggets game, some ice freak show or a concert.

Stingray said:
Well, the sound was horrible at SJ2, it's basically ineveitable at an arena show, and depends on where you are sitting (I was behind the stage)

I was gonna say, can anyone name an arena where the sound is generally good? There is no such animal. The only hope you have for decent sound in an arena is to be sitting in the right spot (usually in front of the stage).

Re: Re: Re: Denver 4/20 - whoa

KUEFC09U2 said:
wow from the tour really starting to kick off, back to people being dissapointed :(

i no dont take me wrong, the show was comletelty awesome. to die forr, i just dont know how some epeople couildnt have as good a time as me or just have fun in general, but im sure they did in their own right as everyoibie is raving abou t the show, even the casual fans..

I was gonna say, can anyone name an arena where the sound is generally good? There is no such animal.

I sat in just about the same spot for the previous tour and the sound was crystal clear. Yes, it can be done. I think the sound man should get canned. Maybe he's lost most of his hearing?

stymie2000 said:

I sat in just about the same spot for the previous tour and the sound was crystal clear. Yes, it can be done. I think the sound man should get canned. Maybe he's lost most of his hearing?
or maybe its different speaker locations due to things being placed differently to the last tour? this is actually a WHOLE new tour ya know?

Sound in SJ was horrible too. I didn't notice it as bad while on the floor night 1, but night 2 from side section upper level, it was extremely hard to hear anything Bono said. My mom wants a copy of the DVD cuz she wanted so much to understand but really couldnt!! sucked. And yes the crowd up there sucked as well!!!:huh:

KUEFC09U2 said:
or maybe its different speaker locations due to things being placed differently to the last tour? this is actually a WHOLE new tour ya know?

I've been to quite a few shows at the Pepsi Center and sat in a number of different locations. So, I've experienced sound coming from all sorts of different locations. I also had friends sitting towards the back of the arena and they said pretty much the same thing. I stand by my statement. This was the worst sounding show that I have been to at this venue. The fact is, these sound guys are supposed to be professionals and someone should lose their job.

Re: Denver Show Pics

uuu222 said:
Unfortunately I didn't get approval to photograph this show so I managed to sneak a cheesy 4meg point and shoot camera in.

Camera's were allowed at the concert. Small digital camera's that is. Permission was given by the Guest relations officer at the Pepsi Center.

Yes, I know. I photograph concerts on a regular basis, however guest relations, or should I say, Clear Channel didn't grant me approval this time.
I will however, be photographing the Dallas show. I just thought I'd try the Denver show.

These are fantastic :drool: :drool:

You wouldnt happen to have any more taken at the tip of the elipse, would you?

Re: Denver Show Pics

uuu222 said:
... My wife and I had great seats so I made the best of what we I had.
Enjoy the pics, download them if you'd like.

excellent, both that you got great seats and you got to share the concert with your wife.

Thanks you for sharing the photos with us. The first one is stunning to say the least. Well done.
Classic U2 moment...I'll treasure it.

Okay, I have been trying to be patient, but I am not very good at the whole patience thing...

Does anyone have pictures from 4/21 before sound check when Bono came out to greet us? :drool:

Here's mine... I unfortunately have no pictures with Bono yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be seen on the first picture with black hair and sunglasses on top of my head... My friend is not visible, but she was wearing a white shirt with pink stripes... I was wearing a black shirt with a shoulder cut off...

I have these pictures without as much cropping of the fans that I will be sending to eep soon and can send to anyone else that was there if you want them...

3517220050421Denver01.jpg

3517220050421Denver02.jpg

3517220050421Denver03.jpg

3517220050421Denver04.jpg

By the way, huge thanks go to Chuckver and his brother in law for the pictures, and my apologies for not registering it was you when you mentioned you were from Michigan... I was severely lacking in brain power :wink: Hope your pictures came out!! :hyper:

Last edited:
No problem taking the pictures Chris (my brother in law) was glad to help. My pictures should be on there way to you. Great Day and Great Show:dancing: :camera: :dancing: :camera: :dancing: :camera:

Personally, I think it's the Pepsi Center sound. They always blame it on the band, but no one I know who's been to *any* show there has been able to hear.

I had seats on the second level for Elevation--couldn't hear very well. On the floor, Bono was often drowned out.

The Pepsi Center LOVES to blame the bands, but the place has lousy acoustics.

I believe it is the fact that they are purposely playing louder and with a more aggressive eq setting for the rooms. I listened to 2 songs both nights without hearing protection and the sounded like garbage. Not because of the room, but because of the sheer volume. Your ear drum will distort the sound. That being said, the shows sounded amazing with good high quality hearing protection. I am an audio professional, and have only heard one other arena show sound as good as U2 generally does, and that was Sarah McLachlan.

Volume is one thing, being a good mix is quite another. Whatever the reason, or whoever is responsible, I think it is a choice that was made and what they are trying to do.

My advice? Spend $20 and get yourself some filtered ear plugs.

Back
Top Bottom