Chicago 1 was AMAZING!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatlesboy

War Child
Chicago, IL (In the kingdom of South Suburbia!)
I don't usually post things like this, but this time I have to!

I just have to say that the band exceeded my expectations at Chicago 1 last night and I was VERY impressed!

This was easily the greatest U2 show I've been to, everything was perfect!

Bono's voice was the best it's sounded in years and the band was totally immersed in the music and played flawlessly, even 'bad' which IMO has been lacking a bit the last few years, blew me away...

They seem to have the 'fire' going again that I really haven't felt since Zoo Tv and I can't wait to see the rest of the shows.

For those who haven't been yet you're in for a REAL treat!

:wink:

P.S. If this keeps up, it's gonna be one hell of a DVD

Last edited:
It was flippin' AWESOME. God, they were in dynamic form. I agree with the 'fire' comments, man. "Bad" was beyond belief.

This thread is similar to another thread here at General Tour Discussions. I've posted my overall opinion on the thread
"Acoustics at The UC Discussion" ... please check out my post regarding the overall sound and show performance over there !! Thanks!!

Last edited:
could you guys post them over on u2tours.com lol as last nights show seems to be getting slated, its so weaird the difference in opinion by pretty much everyone, some say its the best they have seen, them some say it didnt carry the "magic" of the elevaiton tour, which to be fair is starting to get on my nerves the way people compare this tour to the last

I don't think I can post an accurate review for last night's show. It was a blur. I got into the ellipse, was on the railing in the front row between Adam and Bono. I was jumping up and down the whole time and screaming/singing, I couldn't be bothered with the less-than-perfect of something. The only thing that went wrong for me last night was that my stupid camera (which I borrowed from my Dad) died about a fourth of the way into the show. Battery not charged!!!!!!! I still got a dozen or so pretty good pictures. One other thing, no real song surprises, but I didn't expect that since they are practicing for the DVD (real shoot for monday and tuesday shows). They did play Bad, my favorite U2 song, and you gotta love Streets, their best live song, IMO. :drool:

I'd say it was a "pretty decent" show, all told. In my total of seven U2 shows, this would fall at number six on the list. That's not to say that it was a bad show at all, and there were moments when things really picked up. For the most part, though, Bono seemed confused (though his lyrical blunders were notably fewer than usual...or at least less glaringly obvious) and obtuse. A ton of initially minor technical problems (which gradually got worse and worse until the whole thing collapsed with "Miracle Shit") hampered the first five or six songs, but the issues seemed to be resolved after that point...for the most part.

Bono was so seemingly uninspired (or maybe he's just inspired in a different way which I don't dig on as much) that it bothered me a bit, at times. Still, a solid show. "Sometimes..." ended rockily, but otherwise I enjoyed it despite its few, minor flaws--it was wonderfully powerful, etc. I have lots to say about the show, but I'm busy...yeah.

Good. FAR from great, in my experiences. But, of course, to each his/her own. I greatly anticipate the next few shows. Holla.

just got back to green bay. the show was fucking amazing. i was chillin' in the ellipse with two drinks in my hand, lol.

here's some observations:

1. the band was on. they seriously nailed every song. the only flaw i noticed was that the synth in Miracle Drug false started twice. i found it more funny than anything.

2. all this talk about the sound being horrible is absolute rubbish. the sound last night was absolutely perfect. you could hear all four instruments complimenting each other.

3. what made the show for me was that it just seemed like the band was having a lot of fun up on stage. i see a lot of people saying that the band didn't capture the magic of the Elevation Tour. i, for one, like that this tour is less serious.

4. Ali was right next to my buddy and i for a couple songs.

5. you could tell that the band really wanted to bring me up on stage to play a song with them, but they chickened out at the last minute because they were afraid that it would get out that i'm a Packers fan.

it was pretty good, although it wasn't perfect, i was behind the stage, and bono kept talking to the roadies about how to get miracle drug started, i think there were a few other screw ups too. but it was a great show, i agree, bono's voice was awesome. probably the best that i have heard (then again it was only my 2nd show) can't wait for philly next weekend. also, bono did have a teleprompter. but he didn't seem to use it that much.

kakvox said:

Hey, where were you that Ali was right by you?

in the ellipse, dead center by the tip. she was there with some guy with curly hair. they stayed for Elevation and An Cat Dubh, and then left.

I also thought Bono's voice was awesome. He was hitting all the high notes. He did seem a little more distant than usual this show, though. I think I saw him smile only once. Adam, on the other hand, he had a ear to ear grin on the whole night. I should know, I was right in front of him. :drool:

I liked the show overall. There were some technical problems during the first part I think. Bono couldn't catch up with the melody for Vertigo and Elevation, but I think it had something to do with what he could hear from his earpiece.

I was just by the rail outside the ellipse and during LAPOE or Vertigo (can't remember), he kind of shook the mic like there was something wrong with it.

mikal said:

in the ellipse, dead center by the tip. she was there with some guy with curly hair. they stayed for Elevation and An Cat Dubh, and then left.

What?! Really? Oh I wish I had seen her.

Last edited:
Hey, i read on u2tours.com that Bono said something in Polish before Miracle Drug and then Edge translated it. Do you remember what he said? Im just curious since im from Poland :wink:

*k_i_t_e_86* said:
Hey, i read on u2tours.com that Bono said something in Polish before Miracle Drug and then Edge translated it. Do you remember what he said? Im just curious since im from Poland :wink:

Hmmm, I know Bono said something in German during the show but Polish hmmmm.

Ok, but maybe I'm wrong.

Years of taking German may have been for nothing.

But it didn't sound like polish to me.

dizzy said:
That's what I thought...that it was German rather than Polish. But what do I know. I speak neither. :D

Yo Arlington Dizzy!

Well German has a very distinct sound and I usually recognize it immediately!

If he had spoken another language like a Slavic one which I know one like Bulgarian I would have picked up on that.

Plus, I could barely hear Edge so I couldn't hear the translation!

I'd recognize German too, but of course doubted myself since I don't speak it. :wink:

I think Bono can imitate accents very well. At least his French (in one of the Elevation boots) was good.

It was connected with a Polish holiday...
From u2tours.com:
"Bono says a few words in Polish at the start of 'Miracle Drug' (Edge translates), likely in honor of the Polish Constitution Day events earlier today in Chicago."

Thanks for your replies anyway. If somebody knows something, let me know, ok? :wink:
Hopefully we'll get a bootleg some time soon

Back
Top Bottom