Cardiff last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donski

Babyface
Oh my god that has to be one of THE best gigs i've been to. The Killers were amazing then U2 topped that by being outstanding. I managed to get into the enclosed area 6 rows from the front of the catwalk, got some good pics of the edge, adam and bono! One, running to a stand still and the 2nd vertigo were my highlight.
What did everyone else think?

AMAZING gig, from start to finish. for me highlights were I will follow, as every1 went wild. and also i still havent found what im looking for when bono held the mic out to the crowd. and everything from HTDAAB. infact the whole show.

did take over an hour to get out ot carpark after though, and another hour to get to the motorway, the traffic was bad.

still im not complaining, best gig EVER!!
:wink: :wink: :wink:

i went to manchester twickenham x2 and croke park night 1 and have to say the screen and sound was at its best last night in the enclosed stadium

Can't agree more. This was the 3rd gig I've been to this year (Twick #2, and Croke #1), and this blew them both out of the water. Two great support acts, and U2 on top form made for an amazing night. The roof being closed certainly added to the occasion.

I also think the band loved the stadium too. Bono commented a few times on what an amazing place it is, and they seemed to enjoy ribbing Edge about his Welsh roots too!

Best night ever!!!

can i also add it was my first gig in cardiff, (i'm from southampton) the crowd was probably one of the friendliest i have experienced in all the years i've been to gigs. thank you cardiff xx

That was the best concert I've ever been to. I'll post my review later. Bloody amazing stuff. I was nearly in tears at the start of 'Streets'...I KNEW that would happen, dammit! To be there though, is just amazing!

Oddly, enough...that's the ONE person I knew was there that night! Haha! What does he look like?

Cardiff 29/6

Seating. So, you know, no amazing pictures of the band I'm afraid. Just an idea of what it looks like from afar! I actually pitied people in the 'bomb shelter' at times :wink:

u2cardiff1.jpg

u2cardiff2.jpg

u2cardiff3.jpg

u2cardiff4.jpg

Cardiff

I was there last night, U2 were great, and the video screens worked much better in total darkness than in the outdoor shows. Overall though it was my least favourite of the 4 I went to- mind you comparing anything to Croke 1 and 2 is going to be hard.

Some of it is down to the Millenium Stadium being a rubbish venue for a concert- it took 4 hours to do a journey of 70 miles to get there- the same time it took to fly to Dublin- and the endless queues getting back out again. It's all very well building these stadiums but why do we persist in building them in town centres with poor access? I won't be going to any more concerts at this venue

and also because we were right at the back of the GA and ended up in the seats (couldn't see the stage at all), so having been spoilt with 2 shows in the front pit it was always going to be a different experience at the other end of the stadium

The concert was incredible, it was my first and it was just amazing! Although, the crowd where i was stood were awqful, people were pushing and shoving, and a fight broke out during the killers. I feel the atmosphere was slightly ruined by the idiots pushing to get to the front, anyone would think we were at a Slipknot concert, not a bloody U2 concert. But apart from that it was an awesome night, which i will remember forever.

Rain Man said:
The concert was incredible, it was my first and it was just amazing! Although, the crowd where i was stood were awqful, people were pushing and shoving, and a fight broke out during the killers. I feel the atmosphere was slightly ruined by the idiots pushing to get to the front, anyone would think we were at a Slipknot concert, not a bloody U2 concert. But apart from that it was an awesome night, which i will remember forever.

exactly the experience me and UKTan had. Where were you stood?

we were at the tip of Edge's b stage, 2nd row. The problem was that the security guard nearest us was refusing to give out water, and there were Carling people wandering around in the enclosure selling lager! So everyone was drinking crap loads of beer and were really drunk. Compared to the Croke shows, where alchohol wasn't allowed inside the stadium, the atmospher was quite dark and the crowd were quite viscious/annoying. Beer and GA do not mix, imho

But it still rocked. The worst U2 gig is still a crap load better than any other gig at its best :D

I was 3 rows back from the walkway to Edge's B-stage, and the view was fantastic. A few numpties tried to spoil it by attempting to push through, but the odd well-placed elbow and a few Superman-style eye lazers sorted that out.
Starsailor & The Killers were really good.
Check out my pictures in the Tour Photos section.

I had a fantastic time. Brilliant concert. The BEST support acts ever. Def got my moneys worth for that ticket - I had a fantastic view about 6th row from the main stage - could clearly see everything. Was nice to be at this position although I had fantastic spots at both bstages at the 2 twickenham stages.

The stadium was great - was nice to have the roof shut. The crowd were really great where I was standing. Had a lot of fun waiting for the support acts and u2 and everyone was really into the songs but not pushy or violently jumping around or anything and had quite a bit of space in the 'bomb shelter' part.

Great set list again. Loved city of blinding lights, Electric Co, WOWY, Sometimes and Love and peace, the fly, zoo station and of course Vertigo (just as I think im getting knackered, towards the end the Encore with zoo station, the fly and vertigo again) always makes me jump around like a mad woman. I loved it!!! Great finish to the UK part of the tour.

Does anyone know what song started the concert last nite, cause it was really good???

Just got back from Cardiff a couple hours ago. Exhausted... and my hearing is not quite back to normal yet.

This was my first concert ever, not just first U2 concert. It was a kinda bad start, since I was on my own, next to the catwalk, surrounded by die-hard, moshing, screeching Killers fans. Surrounded by smokers and had about a dozen hyperventilative fits. Got yanked out by medics.

But a great concert nonetheless. I didn't have a clue who the Killers were, so felt a little out of place in the die-hard Killers fans quarter. But U2 were great, so I can't complain too much. No Mysterious Ways though :scream:

Got up at 7am, got into Cardiff at 9am, got tickets at 11am and joined queue at 12. Got right at the front, so got into enclosure no problem. The waiting outside was great, we organised shifts so we could sprint to Starbucks and back one at a time for lattes and bathroom breaks.

I only got almost squished once, which was great because I'm pretty darn easy to squish. I was caught in the mad rush for the enclosed area, which I'm grateful for or I'd never have got in.
As I said, I was right up next to the catwalk so I got great close-up views of Bono when he walked round, and Edge came by a few times and stomped for us (he stomps heck of a lot...). Adam came right down to the end of the stage and played a bit, he has a great smile... Larry was obviously rather confined to the center of the stage, unless he wore his drums on his back like one of those one-man bands and carried them round... he should try that out next time. He needs more interaction; he's too cute to waste back there. Bono has the cutest little dances... he kept jumping around and doing little skips early on.

No photos, not for sharing at least. I got a great pic of Edge, who I now adore more than ever... but I didn't have a phone or a digital so I didn't get zoom pics or anything. Just some decent keepsake images.

I never actually got excited at all... I half-wished it was all over by the time the Killers were playing. My feet were dead and everyone sat on the floor so I couldn't move in case I tripped over them. (Just noticed I still have the remains of my harp stamp on my hand... I kept my ticket as well, obviously.) I guess I've been watching U2 so intently for three months in videos, on TV, and seeing the pics so that seeing them right next to me is no different now.

Did they play Zoo Station? It's one of my favorites, but I guess I just didn't recognise it. I don't recognise half their songs, I hear a few titles in the songs so I knew a couple more by the end. COBL was v. flashy, it's another of my favorites. Vertigo was great of course, the evil Killers fans were also v. enthusiastic so I was able to jump like a mad thing without feeling out of place.

Can't wait to go to another show.

Last edited:
Damn excellent night, joined the queue at 1pm, and when the gates opened sprinted across the pitch, and got into the enclosure and stood in the centre, equi-distant between the main stage and the two sub stages. The combination of my position, the roof being closed and the best support act so far (IMHO) the Killers, made it my personal favourite gig on the tour.

I have grown too old for the crush thing, so did not try to get a space next to the catwalks, I would describe the centre of the pit as somewhat comfortable.

Does anyone know what song started the concert last nite, cause it was really good???

Rain Man said:

if you mean the song over the PA system just before U2 walked onto the stage, its Wake Up by Arcade Fire. This is a frequently asked question, but I m still happy to answer it as its a great song.

If your local newsagent still has the U2 issue of Mojo on the shelf, you will find the track that you like on the cover mounted CD

Agree with you lot - great concert - was at the end of Edge's B stage.

Great support bands, great atmosphere (crap stewarding) Great U2 show

I was Lucky enough to have a backstage pass for the cardiff gig!! watched the gig from the stage and the crowd was increadble!!! i will never forget the massive contrast in reactios, from grown men crying in "sometimes you cant make it on your own" to the place errupting on "vertigo!" i also met bono and the killers! Brandon was the nicest guy ever and Bono- the frontman of the best band on the planet! what more can i say. A GIG I WILL NEVER FORGET!

Last edited:
I met the actor & actress who play Mikey and Rose's mum in Doctor Who on the train back to London this morning, I wonder if they had been to the gig, as it is too early for them to have been Dr Who series 2

what a great concert!!!! i was in the nosebleeds on edges side and couldn't see the curtains (and larry)but we had the "bono screen" facing us. The people around me were great, didn't care about the shit view the music was great. i particually got a chill down my spine at the start of all i want is you.
It felt more like an arena gig to me with the closed roof

edit: oh yeah forgot to mention the walk on snippet was refreshing to hear. has that normally been played on this tour

Last edited:
absolutely brilliant. I just got back home from the show and will have my review posted up by the weekend (need time to sort my pics out - which are great by the way :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom