Brisbane concert goers - post your initial thoughts here..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, how was the first night?

Interesting to see Saints and Angel of Harlem and Kite closing.

I'm interested to see how Kite was as a closer. I can't picture it. I can't wait to hear the comments from the concert goers!!

ramblin rose said:
I'm interested to see how Kite was as a closer. I can't picture it. I can't wait to hear the comments from the concert goers!!

that's funny. I remember the first time I heard that song I thought how it would be a perfect closer. It's sort of surreal to see that it has finally closed a concert.

Yeah I agree, thought it would have closed the Elevation tour, and really surprised to see it not feature on vertigo until now. A real stadium tune, big anthem, great to see it where it belongs. It may have been better with "stuck in a moment" or "all i want" before it rather than angel.

AussieU2fanman said:
Did edge do the solo for kite?

yeah awesome Kite solo, not one of my favourite songs, but the solo was good.

Bono let out some balloons with a kite attached to it and it flew off, ????

Yaweh half way through through a lot of the locals out I think.

The show was excellent. I still think the 2005-05-26/28 Boston shows were better, but this one was really solid too. Bono's vocals were excellent, the band themselves were on, and there was heaps of energy and they seemed really keen to be here.

Kanye met with a bad reception. QSAC's organisation was shit. SYCMIOYO is total dead weight. But besides that, I think there is very little to complain about. Kite is stunningly beautiful; I love Edge's new extended solo, the didgeridoo, and Bono flying and releasing a kite.

The Fly was the best song of the night. Totally rocked the place down. Zoo Station was a close second.

Aside from different ending and Bono playing harmonica, is Angel of Harlem like Elevation version?

Personally i felt the whole kite thing was a bit lame, it just wasn't a 2 story mirrorball lemon or a trabant, you know what i mean? it was like a 5 dollar kite on string with a balloon, we were so waiting for it to get tangled in the stadium lights! lol...

and the dude on the digi during kite, you couldnt even hear him over edges guitar until bono gave him 30 seconds to do his thing at the end of the song...digi volume needed to be cranked a bit more..

yahweh and walk on in the middle, kite as a closer, it was ok, walk on would have been better as a closer with yahweh IMO...

the saints was wicked!

FAR I know what you're saying about the kite. And the didg sound definitely needs work.

U2Girl - Half way thru Angel Bono goes all Bob Dylan. Seriously, you'd think it WAS Bob (but with a better voice :madspit: )

did Bono wore a Australian flag inside the jacket?... or is it just a gimmick that us Southamericans eat like there's no tomorrow? :wink:

BTW: STEVE IRWIN should appear on the ZooTV slots :angry:

Axver said:
The Fly was the best song of the night. Totally rocked the place down. Zoo Station was a close second.

I'm glad that such a Zoo TV and AB hater that you are enjoys the awesomeness of Zoo Station performed on outdoor show! :drool:

Kite was an awesome closer to the show... didnt feel weird to me... i guess it will feel different for everyone. I just stood back in awe last night... i'm glad i'm going to another 4 to take it all in.. there's just so much going on!

Zooropean103 said:

I'm glad that such a Zoo TV and AB hater that you are enjoys the awesomeness of Zoo Station performed on outdoor show! :drool:

He has said that:

Off Achtung Baby, there are four great songs, I believe he said The Fly, UTEOTW, Acrobat, and Love Is Blindness.

Also, Zoo Station improved live to the point where he likes it. And I agree with him that the album version sucks.

man, its the day after...what a night...walking around getting goosebumps just thinking about it all...

fucking brilliant, cant get over some of the highlights, the crowd, bonos voice, the saints, UTEOTW, fly, new years day...man

Sea FM is having a U2 marathon today for anyone on the Gold Coast / Bris..

Well apart from the FIASCO that was getting into the stadium - the GA admission was a complete joke - the show itself was interesting. I actually thought Bono's voice was weak at some points - in the sense that he hit the high notes really well, but then strained to get the boost back into it afterwards. He definitely seemed to have a cold or sore throat or something. Edge had feedback at certain times, which surprised me - they are usually meticulous about stuff like that - and I didn't think that Bono spent as much time on the ramp area as he usually does.

Anyway, I was on Adam's side, about 10 metres in front of the mixing desk (where you usually get the best sound) and the sound seemed a little "flat" until I moved much closer in. I was also surrounded by people that were more interested in having a chat than listening/singing, so that was frustrating at times. I was surprised that COBL didn't get people UP more, but I wasn't right near the front - it may have been different there.

The highlights for me were the aucoustic Yawheh (beautiful), Angel of Harlem (never heard it live before) and Kite's "surprise" - though I thought it left the crowd a little mellow for the end - maybe that was the point? I generally prefer a song to carry me out of the arena/stadium, but Kite is one of my faves, so no real complaints there.

Overall, the organisation getting into the place seemed appalling - by the time I got through they were having increasing trouble actually scanning people's tickets and there could easily have been a surge. Hats off to U2 fans for waiting (almost) patiently, letting people walk ahead of them and staying positive in a frustrating situation.

One down, 5 to go - can't wait to see/hear what they have in store for us next!

That was by far the best night of my life!!! Let me preface this by saying this is my first U2 show I may be overly enthusiastic!

I rocked up at 5am (was going to get there earlier but I slept through my alarm) and I was (surprisingly) about 15th in line. The GA line was fun... it was hot, but luckily the sun was behind the clouds for most of the day.

When they let us in (way earlier than I expected), after the mad dash to the front, I managed to get front row on Edge's side! I actually really enjoyed Kanye, even though I'm not a big fan of rap. A lot better than I expected!

My throat was absolutely killing me before the band came on, but once they were on I forgot about it. The energy at the front was amazing! I had incredibly high expectations, but I expected nothing like this. It was incredible!

Between the bridge of Beautiful Day and the end of SYCMIOYO I was tearing up... I was just so damn emotional. I completely disagree Axver about SYCMIOYO being dead weight... it was incredible in my opinion.

I don't think i took a breath for the first hour. The political section seemed fresh to me... like I've seen it/heard it so many times, yet it was completely different being there. Streets was unbelievable - again, I expected so much, but nothing like that. I am still in awe.

The Zootv set was great, as was the second encore. Kite was so beautiful... what a way to finish the show. I don't think the kite thing was lame at all... I'd go the opposite direction and say it was powerful. Seriously, the simplicity and the symbolism of the Kite... I found in incredibly appropriate and moving.

What else is there to say? Sure the band made mistakes (haha did anyone else see Edge nearly fall over during Vertigo!) but that did not subtract from my experience at all. I am still 50 foot in the air!

I cannot wait until Saturday!

U2 are at their best when Bono is 'on' and really enjoying himself and last night he was. As I've said before, I've seen them countless times since 1985 and last night in Brisbane definately ranks right up there as one of the best shows. The band looked and sounded fresh and as Axver said, looked like there was nowhere else they would rather be.

So many highlights, but to name a few, Beautiful Day was fantastic as were The Fly and Zoo Station (to echo Axver's sentiments). The outro to With or Without You (my favorite piece of music) was also phenominal. The version of Kite we got last night was also fantastic and yep, I think it worked as a closer.

As for Kanye West, he bombed. Some U2 support bands I've not been overally keen on before seeing them but then they've managed to change my mind after seeing their set. Everyone gets a chance with me. As for Kanye...I wasn't a fan of his before I went in and I was even less likely to be a fan after his set. I'll leave it at that!!

miracledrug83 said:

Kite was so beautiful... what a way to finish the show. I don't think the kite thing was lame at all... I'd go the opposite direction and say it was powerful. Seriously, the simplicity and the symbolism of the Kite... I found in incredibly appropriate and moving.

:yes: I agree. VERY moving, but perhaps not my choice of last song. If it's the last song at Melbourne II, I expect there'll be floods of tears: "I know that this is not goodbye" - but maybe they won't get to Australia for a long, long time after this (or ever? - gotta be realistic - or am I just cynical?)

Great gig, all round. The light show for WOWY was excellent - reminiscent of the film clip with the light panels below Bono's feet. Nothing like a bit of nostalgia!

The whole thing was amazing!
I was right next to the guy (Shaun I think his name was?) who started the Mexican wave that went around the stadium 4-5 times- that was an incredible sight!
I didnt really enjoy Kanye at all - I still don't get why they had him.
I don't think that there were any bad songs in the list, they performed fantastically as well as looked great.
We were right infront of Adam the whole night and 2 nice guys let us in front of them so we could see properly - Thanks again!
It all feels really surreal at the moment, I'm still in awe of the whole thing.

:heart:

too all those ppl who got into the ellipse, what was the cut-off time that people got pushed back into general GA?

Too amazing moments , most memorable was Bono singing Miss Sarajevo & singing the opera parts , I seriously got the chills, it was that amazing

1 word of advice even if some pof you have seats , get there as early as possible,
Security and Seating was the biggest screwup I have ever experienced, no one knew what they were doing!!.

HAHA.... Axver you make me laugh..... for someone who doesn't like Achtung Baby, you put The Fly and Zoo as the 2 best songs of the concert..... are you changing your mind? :wink:

shika said:
Well apart from the FIASCO that was getting into the stadium - the GA admission was a complete joke - the show itself was interesting.

I met a very nice ( and handsome) security guard. I guessed he was Tongan and he liked that.All my Tongan friends are lovely souls. I felt very safe next to him and had no trouble getting to my spot.
I actaully like the delay. It gave me time to once again communicate with the band. I do believe I started the Mexican Wave before the show started. That looked so good from where I was sitting.

Bono love it you read this, I know know just how gorgeously petite you and your band mates are. if that shirt doesn't fit you( i know it won't) I'd really love John to have it and please ask Naseem to resew the patch on. I am so embarrassed to have given you something so badly stitched. I had a full on week before I saw you and my you just set me a-tremblin" I find it hilarious my pics of Larry and Edge are so clear and the ones of Bono are so blurry...he has that effect on women :wink:

to sum up, my thoughts?
I love U2, you're in my mind all of the time ( except when i think about the freeway and hospital and kids and John Howard) U2 occupy my happy thoughts and I thank them so deeply and sincerely for it.
To know U2 is to love U2
always

Back
Top Bottom