Bono at the Univ. of Penn !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njelevation06

War Child
Just got back a little while again from the speech. Very good stuff. Got to meet Bono on his way out of the venue before the reception. Amazing stuff. I go to Penn so it was even sweeter to meet him on my campus for the second time. Will post pictures later.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Wow! :ohmy: How awesome and LUCKY YOU ARE!! Can't wait to hear details on your meeting bono and pics...:drool:

What did he say to you and what did you talk about?

I had the People Get Ready sign from Philly ... I showed it to him and thanked him for dedicating the song to me, ...

me: "Bono, thank you so much for people get ready, that song means so much to me, you've always said three chords and you can change the world, you've inspired me to change the world."

he thanked me, and reached out to shake my hand....

... AMAZING!!!

pookybear said:
Wow... that is amazing! Why does Bono love UPenn so much? :grumpy: (I go to Columbia)

heehee... i hear you! i just graduated from Columbia in May- Bono never came, even though Jeff Sachs is a prof there! :wink:

Congrats to the original poster- it's awesome that Bono dedicated a very special performance to you!! :up:

I know where I'm gonna go to grad school.

Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to meet him.

3453243523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2348%3D863%3D%3A2%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B83456399ot1lsi

Here's Bono outside Irvine Auditorium

Last edited:
njelevation06 said:
3453243523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2348%3D863%3D%3A2%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B834563%3A3ot1lsi

Another ... that's me looking towards the camera on the right

cool pic! looks like there are 4 degrees of separation b/w you and bono! ;)

(side note for all the Pleba ladies: look at bono's pretty blue scarf!! :drool: )

*Ally* said:

(side note for all the Pleba ladies: look at bono's pretty blue scarf!! :drool: )

haha ... he was wearing a jacket and tie during the event, suprise look for him

njelevation06 said:

haha ... he was wearing a jacket and tie during the event, suprise look for him

ah, yes... there are already photos up in Pleba. :wink:

glad to hear that the talk was fun- i was fortunate to hear Bono speak at Penn graduation a couple of years ago (my dad works there and got me a ticket), and it was really fantastic! that man definitely has a way with words. :up:

see the guy with the unforgettable fire album (shoving it in Bono's face) he was very scary ... he ran along side Bono's car in traffic all the way to the Museum, the location of the reception the driver seemed to be trying to get away from him, they had to turn through a red light - he said to me "nobody is going to stop me" he was very scary! I have never seen anyone be so pushy or do that to Bono before, people like that ruin it for all the others waiting... :angry:

People need to remember there was a freak named Mark David Chapman.He ruined things for alot of people too.I was there too and I wondered where this guy came from.SCARY,NO?

seajewel said:
see the guy with the unforgettable fire album (shoving it in Bono's face) he was very scary ... he ran along side Bono's car in traffic all the way to the Museum, the location of the reception the driver seemed to be trying to get away from him, they had to turn through a red light - he said to me "nobody is going to stop me" he was very scary! I have never seen anyone be so pushy or do that to Bono before, people like that ruin it for all the others waiting... :angry:

yeah that guy was weird ... I'm glad Bono did not sign it for him, that has to scare Bono when a fan does that ...

oh jeez...how scary is right. I worry about Bono alot.. he is so out there and vulnerable to the public..:( Even with a bodyguard he is at high risk. I seen several times where he has no bodyguard at all with him and he is like a sitting duck. I am so glad that he makes himself so available to the fans! We really appreciate it but I would understand if this were to change. I am sure many many people have told him not to but he refuses.

I am glad too that that guy didn't get anything signed!:wink:

he did really make himself available and is great to fans ... his Escalade was parked right next to the door of the building, , , he could have went right into it and drove to the Museum for the reception but he came around to the fans who were waiting.

He did the same after the dinner, he signed autographs - got to speak to him then ... sorry no photos he was standing right next to me didn't want to flash in his face, he's the best!:wink:

Last edited:
A scary pushy guy freakazoid or lunatic would do something idiotic like that. I am surprised there weren't police summoned to stop the guy.

I also often say a prayer for Bono that he be safe on his public outtings with John or without him. It's a crazy world we live in. Unfortunately. :huh:

njelevation06 said:
Just got back a little while again from the speech. Very good stuff. Got to meet Bono on his way out of the venue before the reception. Amazing stuff. I go to Penn so it was even sweeter to meet him on my campus for the second time. Will post pictures later.

Thanks for sharing!

A lot of that confusion Friday night could have been advoided if the newsperson would have stopped Bono elsewhere but outside the venue to ask him a few questions.

Security at Penn Friday night was inconsistent and inadequate for this event.

Next time Bono speaks in Philly, I would suggest another venue than PENN or some major overhaul of protocol. :ohmy:

Jamila said:
A lot of that confusion Friday night could have been advoided if the newsperson would have stopped Bono elsewhere but outside the venue to ask him a few questions.

Security at Penn Friday night was inconsistent and inadequate for this event.

Next time Bono speaks in Philly, I would suggest another venue than PENN or some major overhaul of protocol. :ohmy:

how were they inconsistent and inadequate? I didn't notice that at all.

There was no security at all. I was suprised.

After 20 years of being a fan and about 20 botched attempts at a photo with Bono... my sister asked him to stop for me and he did. So I got a posed picture with him.

Inside the reception Bono stopped in front of my friends and I and he talked for a bit. We were lucky where we were standing. My friends husband on the sly.. handed Bono a box and asked him to give it to his wife ( my friends wife.. not Bono's..).. and Bono did. Then when Bono walked out the back door he looked over at her and said what was in the box... it was a diamond ring.. she showed it to him. I'll figure out how and post some pics.

eherncane said:
There was no security at all. I was suprised.

After 20 years of being a fan and about 20 botched attempts at a photo with Bono... my sister asked him to stop for me and he did. So I got a posed picture with him.

Inside the reception Bono stopped in front of my friends and I and he talked for a bit. We were lucky where we were standing. My friends husband on the sly.. handed Bono a box and asked him to give it to his wife ( my friends wife.. not Bono's..).. and Bono did. Then when Bono walked out the back door he looked over at her and said what was in the box... it was a diamond ring.. she showed it to him. I'll figure out how and post some pics.

That's a great story! I wonder how Bono felt about being the one delivering the ring. A very funny story. Would love to see the pics!

Back
Top Bottom