Bono & The Paul McGuinness Impersonator - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > Fan Experiences and Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Bono & The Paul McGuinness Impersonator

To understand my story from last night, first you must get the background information. Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia, Tony... "Tono," if you will, of The Unforgettable Fire was invited to the VIP tailgate party before the Wachovia Center show, where he bumped into none other than Paul McGuinness. They talked for about 20 minutes, took a few pictures, and were on their merry way.

Fast forward now to the back of the GA floor at Continental Airlines Arena. Tony and your Esteemed Director didn't feel like waiting all day on the GA line, so were hoping for a little luck, perhaps a string or two to be pulled, to get us into the ellipse. Well that didn't happen, so we just hung out by the sound booth instead. A few songs in, right as Into The Heart is ending and Beautiful Day is beginning, who should venture towards the VIP section (located in front of the sound booth) then none other than Paul McG himself. He spots Tony and comes over to us... ok... comes over to him. I just happened to be with. Anyhoo... Paul talks to us for a few seconds, then reaches into his pocket, fumbling around with some wristbands that he hands to myself, Tony and Tony's girlfriend Dawn, saying only "here.. go into the heart." He waves, shakes our hands, and walks into the VIP section.
So we're all jumping up and down... we rush over to the entrance to the ellipse...
... where we're immediately shot down by the security guard. Paul gave us the wrong wrist bands... the ones we already had, not the ones that light up under the backlight. We attempt to tell the guy that Paul McGuinness gave them to us, to which he gave a sarcastic look and said something along the lines of "yea right... " and told us to go back to the main floor.
Needless to say... if Paul McGuinness himself can't get you into the Ellipse, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

That's pretty unbelievable.

Were people mobbing "Tono" thinking he was Bono?

Old 05-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Now you know the ellipse is hard to get into if even Paul can't get the proper bands.

Sorry you didn't get into the ellipse, but that's a damn great story regardless.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
New Yorker

Oh my gosh I would have been so dissapointed but it is still very cool that he tried.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

it looked as if paul had tipped back a few mcguinnesses, if ya know what i'm sayin'...
Old 05-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 PM
paul was always quite the prankster
Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
War Child

seen unforgettable fire a bunch of times in mcgilligans in yonkers and have even given tono a few u2 bootlegs ...they kick ass and its crazy to see how people react to him when hes onstage signing and doing all the mannerisms bono does...there site is www.uf2.com
Old 05-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

You're preaching to the choir !! Tono has Bono down pat. Headache is sort of like UFs Paul McGuiness
Old 05-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 PM
great story
Old 05-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #10
War Child

Needless to say... if Paul McGuinness himself can't get you into the Ellipse, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Hmmm. He gave me one, but it was really late and they had already put away the blacklights. I have a blacklight at home, I should check it out....If McGuinness is giving out bad wristbands, someone ought to tell him lol.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Bono & The Paul McGuinness Impersonator

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia, Tony... "Tono," if you will, of The Unforgettable Fire was invited to the VIP tailgate party before the Wachovia Center show, where he bumped into none other than Paul McGuinness.

Paul Mcguinness was tailgaiting
Old 05-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:17 PM
this is pure db9sexyness