Best and Worst (WARNING: Spoilers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Best and Worst...

PhoenixGNX said:

As far as the last time "40" being played. Yeah, there's been a few impromptu versions over the last 15 years, but in all seriousness, it hasnt been played in full since Jan.10, 1990 at the last show of Lovetown.

That's right. It closed all but approximately 20 full tour concerts between 26 February 1983 and 10 January 1990, then a performance by just Bono and Edge closed four Popmart shows, and then it was played once at an ATYCLB promo show on 7 February 2001.

Best song: Running To Stand Still. Beautiful version. Followed very closely by Love and Peace or Else
Worst song: Elevation, for obvious reasons.
Biggest surprise: A unique, haunting version of Bullet. Very different from the previous tours, just because of the feel of the song. Instead of anger and agression, I felt sadness and desperation at the end of the song.
Other: Edge's fantastic guitarwork on the Boy songs. That Love and Peace ending is possibly the rockiest thing he ever did. Oh wait! That would have to be HIS performance on The Fly. Unfortunantely, Bono fucked this up really badly.

Guitarintro the Fly is great..so out of control..like a steamtrain ready to get out of the tracks. The Bono starts to "sing...man o man...Bad is an understatement. Loved LAPOE, Elec co and Yahweh. Man I love that fly guitar lol

I wasn't there in San Diego but I have listened to the bootleg a couple of times.

I honestly can't see the problem with The Fly. Sure Bono messes up the lyrics. His voice isn't really strong enough in the low range to play this song in it's original key. I don't think it was strong enough to play in that key on the Zoo TV Tour either so I don't see much difference there. The vocals in The Fly sounded weak on that tour as well. It was better for his voice playing it a 4th higher on The Elevation tour. However, the guitar and bass sounds better when they play it in it's original key. It's a trade off I'm sure. When they get a little more comfortable I'm sure it's gonna be balls-to-the-walls rocking out in this one.

As many has stated, Yaweh is simply amazing in the acoustic form and was one of my favourites from the bootleg.

I must admit I was a bit dissapointed by The Edge's solo in Bullet The Blue Sky. However, I understand that they might feel it a bit nescessary to change the way they play that song, as it has stayed the same for a long time now. Apart from my initial dissapointment I like the idea, though. They start out rocking out as usual, but then as the song progresses they throttle down and ends it with the bluesy solo. My biggest complaint is that The Edge is not really cut out for old fashioned blues guitar playing and the solo ends up sounding pretty weak.

Re: Re: Re: Best and Worst...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I also thought 40 was amazing, especially since according to Bono the last time they played it was BEFORE I was born.

They played a full band version at the London Astoria in February 2001.

It was bloody great.

Worst songs (drop 'em):
All Because of You (doesn't go well with the other encore-songs)
Elevation (simply a very bad version)
The Fly (not that edgy any more)
Zoo Station (please, not in the middle of the show!)

Best songs (keep 'em):
Vertigo (unos dos tres catorce!)
Running To Stand Still (oh so beautiful)
Love And Peace or Else (I agree)
Streets (I love the african vibe throughout the song)
One (what en ending!)
Yahweh (love the song on the album, love the live-version as well)

Songs that needs some work:
Miracle Drug
Bullet the Blue Sky
Pride

Back
Top Bottom