Ashamed and annoyed by the Amsterdam audience !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Really, I was ashamed and annoyed by the Amsterdam audience on friday 15-07!!!

I was, and still am, f...in' pissed off!!! Not by U2 but by the annoying sometimes typical rude dutch audience!!!

First off: I was standing with my wife and friends at the edge of the first B-stage. Even before the show started there was somebody thrown out of the front rows by security because he couldn't behave himself.
Then later on when I came back from getting something to eat, some guy with a giant sportsbag was standing on the little spot I was standing before (with my wife and friends) so I wasn't able to stand with my wife and friends anymore...! When I asked him kindly if he would move a few cm's aside he totally ignored me and said it wasn't his problem.. He was there to stay! That of course resulted in a discussion. When about 15 discussion-minutes later some other people around him asked/ordered him to have some manners and move aside, he finally left...(with his giant annoying bag)
Later on we saw he had almost an entire recording-studio in the bag to tape the show...!

But the thing I am most FURIOUS about is this terrible "BEER-audience !!"

Really, the WHOLE concert down I (and my friends) had to make the most impossible twists, twirls and curves to let the "beer-audience" walk past. Not that anybody isn't allowed to get a beer or something to drink..
BUT: they pushed me aside during the climax in "Sometimes you can't make it.."!!(for a beer!) They had to break trough again with a tray of beer during "Streets.."(for a beer!) and of course again during "One"!!(for a beer!) And there were more "just-getting-a-beer-moments".....
And, because when you drink a lot of beer you have to go to the toilet a lot...! And what's a better moment to do this than during the intro of "Zoo Station"!! And then again during "Yahweh"...also an ideal TOILET MOMENT, isn't it?

Man, what a disrespect for this magic and sensitive band!!!!

Don't get me wrong. I am aware of the fact that people would like to have something to drink at a not so convenient moment in a concert. No problem! And that you can not always choose the perfect moment to go to the toilet. No problem!
But in 15-years time that I'm going to U2-concerts, this was THE WORST REGARDING THE AUDIENCE!!!
There was no moment to really get into the show for me...! The only thing that seemed important for these "beer-hooligans" was to get loaded! And what better moment to do this with some U2-music in the background!:mad:

I thought that the people that were in the front section were real fans who, like me, waited a long time for this and know what the moments are NOT to get a beer!! I thought they (like me) want to really get into the WHOLE show and fully absorb the songs!!

Maybe this all has to to do with the present status U2 are in. They've become so big that really EVERYBODY are curious and like to see them. Therefore also the people who are just going for a good night out, and like to yell along with only the big hits like Sunday Bloody Sunday with a beer in they're hand..! Like U2 is some simple big fairground-attraction and just another night out on the town to get loaded!! But let me tell you this:

To all you dutch beer-peasants:

Go to your local peasant-café and get drunk there!! Yell along with "Paradise by the dashboard light", "Summer of 69", "November Rain" or any other stupid "Robbie Williams-song" over there!!
Or go to a NORMAAL-concert!! (local Dutch R&R-band), René Froger or Frans Bauer!! Maybe wait a little till the Rolling Stones are in Holland again and go to their concert with your local football-club, people from work or your neighbours to sing along drunk with "Satisfaction" and "Jumping Jack Flash".

But don't bump ME over and knock me aside with a tray of beer above your head, right at the moment when my goosebumps are coming up when Bono sings: "...but-can-you-hear-me-when-I-...SIIIIING..."!!

Like I said: What a disrespect for this UNIQUE band...(and any real fan who wants to fully enjoy the songs)

Man, if only U2 was as important as somebody's stupid "biertje" (beer)!!!!
Then this whole whining thread wouldn't be necessary!!

(Sorry, just had to get it of my chest..)

why did you even bother thinking about this stuff? next time, if, just ignore them and keep your eyes on the band!!!
kl

Maybe next time you can just watch the DVD of the show at home? No one to annoy you there I guess.

I've never been to a u2 concert before but from what i've been reading , experiences like yours, i would be upset too. Idiots pushing people around , drunk, yelling, starting fights ,etc.

i don't know if i could deal with that specially during my favorite songs, and if this happens during my first u2 concert. But im getting to a point where i'll probably never get to see them live so maybe i'm not very objective. If i was going to u2 concerts for 15 years and this happened once, maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all, imho.

i was in the front section wednesday and saterday (friday I haed seats). But there was absolutly no problem there then..I even met some very nice people both nights. saterday i was at the rail at edge's b stage but i had plenty of room no pushers what so ever and a group of friends next to me that i totally didnt know but who were very friendly and we all had a really great time. I would say the real fans are indeed at the front but you cant blame the whole audience for some drunks (maybe you should move a little bit to the back then ,there was plenty of room there abd you would still be very near to the stage). I'd say the crowd in amsterdam was absolutely AMAZING all three nights!

PS too bad he couldnt leave his sportsbag...lol...the more bootlegs of these swhows the better (i do understand its annoying to have a massive bag in front of your feet the whole time though :D )

jvferrandiz said:
I've never been to a u2 concert before but from what i've been reading , experiences like yours, i would be upset too. Idiots pushing people around , drunk, yelling, starting fights ,etc.

i

Well this sound like some death metal agressive audience. Believe me it was nothing like that. I agree it can be anooying if you have someone in front (or very near) to you that is totally pissed but you can move a little bit to the back (especially when you are in the front section cause you would still be in front) and avoid them. Most people dont cause they can see a little bit better a few metres more to the front. Understandable but thats also the case for anyone else (and they all got at the venue very early so they probably are ALL fans, maybe they like to experience the show differently but still...)

In general I think the U2 crowd is pretty social and caring for each other (especially in the front section). I really had a great time and to everybody close to me the 13th or 16th :applaud:

Btw I had 2 beer all 2 an hour before the show to avoid toiletvisits during streets or something cause i agree on that. How can you go to the toilet on moments like thta (Imagine being atthe toilet when the start Miss Sarajevo :crazy: )

well I kinda agree with onyoukneesboy.. though I did not bother to mind these people. In the front at Adams side there was a guy that smoked at least 5 joints (and just was just when I started counting) before the concert started and had several beers (that he was spilling all over the surrounding people). Naturally he did not really get anything from the concert in the end. But I am so amazed.. WHo spends around 70€.. another 50€ on dope, around 40e on beer and then just basically passes out without being able to enjoy any of it (ok maybe the dope.. but I think he kinda got sick later)

Very strange :huh:

on the other hand.. that is an exception. Most people are really nice and social (as stated above). I expected pushing and some rough times in the front (that is what I am used to.. and I like that :wink: ) but I.. 2nd row & awesome place... had like a dancefloor around me. I was able to really dance with my friend and jump from here to there without annoying people or stepping on their feet. We left each other very generous space and just had fun. I must say so far U2 fans have been the kindes audience I have seen.. almost scarry... one day we love each other do death :lol:

Last edited:
jvferrandiz said:

i don't know if i could deal with that specially during my favorite songs, and if this happens during my first u2 concert. But im getting to a point where i'll probably never get to see them live so maybe i'm not very objective. If i was going to u2 concerts for 15 years and this happened once, maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all, imho.

That's pretty cowardly in my opinion. U2 fans are among the nicest you'll meet. I thoroughly enjoyed my two Croke Park shows and I thought everyone was impeccably behaved and enjoyed themselves. It is not worth sacrificing the U2 live experience being afraid!

And, although I don't know what the overall tour consensus is on this, beer in the stadium was banned for the Croke Park shows... so the beer in Amsterdam may just be an exception.

Threadstarter, I'm surprised you didn't mention that the audience was doing a lot of pot, seeing as it's legal in Holland?

Sorry mate, can't see your problem at all. If you stand next to the stage at a rock concert I guess this is what you get, its a rock concert!

It is also quite funny how you complain about that dude with the bag:

'Later on we saw he had almost an entire recording-studio in the bag to tape the show...!'

While on another thread ask for a mp3 of Original, http://forum.interference.com/t134194.html. They don't happen like that you know, someone has to carry a huge bag to tape it...

JulioArca said:
Sorry mate, can't see your problem at all. If you stand next to the stage at a rock concert I guess this is what you get, its a rock concert!

It is also quite funny how you complain about that dude with the bag:

'Later on we saw he had almost an entire recording-studio in the bag to tape the show...!'

While on another thread ask for a mp3 of Original, http://forum.interference.com/t134194.html. They don't happen like that you know, someone has to carry a huge bag to tape it...

Errm, my link doesn't seem to work..

I was annoyed at the same thing at Twickenham 1. Just as U2 came on stage 4 people on my row decided to go for beers, which they came back spilling all over us: next they went for food, toilets etc and each time we all had to move out of the way for them. I couldn't believe their timing; it was always at a heartstopping U2 moment. The same thing at Manchester 2, when someone actually dropped a pint of beer from a higher tier onto us. I don't mind anyone having a drink, I had one or two myself, but I do mind being disturbed over and over by someone who would have been happier in the pub.

I can understand the fact that you can be annoyed by some inconsiderate jerk in front or next to you....but to start a thread which heads "ashamed!!! and annoyed by te AMSTTERDAM AUDIENCE" as if everybody was after you...is a bit strong for me...

I totally agree with a-moles reply. Some people are strange. Getting a ticket ,spending a lot of money for something you are not even consiousley present because of beer and dope...(BTW not all people smoke pot in holland just because you want get arrested for it). But you can expect that at a concert where there are 50000 people present. Just move 1 meter behind it and youll be fine. No reason to let it ruin your concert experience

I learned a long time ago to just ingore these things otherwise they could end up ruining your long awaited day. It Earl's Court in 92 a guy with a huge camera came and stood right in front of me (don't forget this was a SEATED event not free standing).. I was so annoyed by this that is ruined the first half of the concert!

Nowadays I just bite my lip and get on with it.. there are so many potentially annoying people. The pissed and shirtless european guys in the front section at the second twicknham show that were determined to beat even U2 in the 'must be centre of attention' stakes. The girl stood in front of me by the b-stage in Cardiff who raised a sign saying 'Play Fast Cars' whenever a member of the band approached, thus blocking the view of all the people stood behind her.

As somebody already said though, the majority of the audience are in it for the same reason as you.. it's usually a small (but ever present) minority that can get on ones tits :)

Same sort of thing at Twiekanham 1 and 2 and Cardiff.

I didnt see much of it at Twickenham 1 as I was right near the front and everyone was behind me

At Twickenham 2 I was i nthe middle - there was people contrinually pushing past to get beers, it was well annoying...

At Cardiff I was just outside the inner circle and there was people selling beer inside that area (walking around with a backpack) but still a lot of people were being dicks.

Funny thing about Ditch people though - at Twickenham 1 there was a group of Dutch peopel who thought they owned their section of the GA queue - they were well annoying

And in Cardiff next to me in the queue again was a Dutch group - there was one bloke in particular who was being a dick - the way he was talking to his girlfirend was shocking - plus he was doing loads of other annoying things!

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

That's pretty cowardly in my opinion. U2 fans are among the nicest you'll meet. I thoroughly enjoyed my two Croke Park shows and I thought everyone was impeccably behaved and enjoyed themselves. It is not worth sacrificing the U2 live experience being afraid!

It's empathy. we are talking about this particular situation , and it's not an ideal one. Good for you if you enjoyed the CPark shows , who wouldn't. since "everyone was impeccably behaved and enjoyed themselves". :|
And I don't see anything cowardly about this, it wouldn't stop me from going to any concert at all. I guess we all react in different ways.

Here in my country we have something similar to the hooligans , they are called "barras bravas". It's the same thing ,You have to jump, scream , chant , and push everybody around all the time, a couple of fights, problems with the police, with drunk people , etc , like "crazy" football fans. Now If this happened during my first u2 concert i'd be a little upset , not "afraid", i'm not 70 years old , i'm 24. :wink:

Anyway, this is not the first time i see comments like this, It seems that a lot of people have problems with these situations and if they want to complain about it i guess this is the place to do it.

ps: sorry for any grammar /spelling errors.

Last edited:
Although I usually try to get out of the way of nasty people, I can relate to this story a bit. When I arrived on friday, there was still some room in the first ring, but because I wanted a more relaxed place to stand and watch/adore U2, I decided to go and stand on the opposite side of the fence.

It turned out to be a good decision, because I met a lot of great people, all fans, all happy, all congenial.

About five minutes into the show, a lot of people entered the first ring through a special entrance. They didn't look like your average U2 fans (lots of skinny girls with very, very high heels, and lots of 'beer guys') Later, it turned out that these were some kind of VIP people who got their tickets from business relations or something like that. They spent the entire show talking to each other, drinking gallons of beer, smoking, talking through their mobiles- anything, except enjoying the show.

Again, I haven't worried about them, and really enjoyed the show, but boy, was I happy that I wasn't in the back of the first ring...

Just stay home please!! There are 50,000 people and not everybody can behave themselves in a way you are behaving/. There are always some bastards but it has nothing to do with the amsterdam beer audience. Maybe you should go to a concert of Normaal, then you will be happy to stand in the middle of the beer-drinking u2 fans!!

I have been to the concert of Wednesday and Friday and I met a lot of people there who were in good spirits and very polite. And come on there were 50.000 people there , there will always be some idiots present.

The "beer audience" were not always to blame..
Certain parts were very crowded and it was impossible to get through without having to bother some people. Plus a lot of people went to get drinks while there was a break but due to the problems with cards and the long waiting line took ages to get back and the concert or supportacts had already begun. When I got back from the bathroom there were plenty of people who needed to be told over and over again that I wanted to pass so I could get back to my friend and they did so politely, but even than we had to bend in all directions as sometimes space was limited.

However I do find it weird that you would say the audience was bad just because you had trouble with some. I was in the innercircle second row at the front of the stage and we had a great time.. The other time I was at the left part of stage (near the walk) and yet again no problems at all. (*waves at A-mole*)

You get these at every concert.. I had them in Germany at Bon Jovi, at nightwish, rammstein and where not. There will always be idiots.

I was at the same gig, in the front section at the right hand side b-stage and I didn't have any trouble at all. There was plenty of room and everybody behaved. I guess you were just unlucky, but you can't say something like that about the whole audience. Just because there were some bastards, doesn't mean everybody in the audience is like that.

1stOne said:
I was annoyed at the same thing at Twickenham 1. Just as U2 came on stage 4 people on my row decided to go for beers, which they came back spilling all over us: next they went for food, toilets etc and each time we all had to move out of the way for them.

They brought toilets back with them!

In Brussels and Dublin it was the same, but mostly before the show. People trying to push their way into the very front. At Croke, this girl was trying to push myself and my girlfriend out of the way to get to the front row. It was packed and there was nowhere for us to move. I went nuts at her, telling her that people have been queing for more than 24 hrs to get to the front and she wanted to stand on people and shove her way there 1 hr before the show. She pissed off and tried again further along. :mad:

All I can say is as long as there is concerts there will always be
some idiots that are there. You just have to do your best to ignore them.

My main problem that evening were the smokers. There were some lighting them up as fast as they finished them. Even when the show was going on and everybody was singing, at which point you don't want to inhale second hand smoke.
But nobody was rude, far from it, and nobody was going for beer during the show. Up in the seating stands, yes, plenty of people were going for beer.
And if I had noticed somebody making a recording, I would have asked them for a copy instead of chasing them away. A little inconvenience is quickly forgotten, the pleasure of relistening to the show you attended is priceless.

Yes, there are some rather selfish fans, but it did not spoil the shows for me.

Twickenham 1 - 4 drunks on our row - coming and going every other song with new beers. Several drunks in front. Spotted 1 drunk throwing a bottle a few rows further forward - I was relieved it was plastic and no one was hurt. A couple of guys were so drunk they tried climbing on one of the bins at the back of the GA section.

Twickenham 2 - Also remember those pissed and shirtless guys in the front section - moved further back to get a more enjoyable position. Before them I had enjoyed the fact that there was no crushing at the front of the outer circle.

A couple of drinks is fine. It is a bit embarassing that people were getting legless at such great concerts but nevertheless it did not lessen my enjoyment.

Don´t feel too bad my friend, in their last concert over at Alvalade Stadium in Portugal, everyone was getting sh*t-faced with beer also.
We Portuguese have a certain love-affair with beer (like the rest of Europe), but in a certain way, everyone did behave.
Except for a few 2++ meters-high Nordic Viking fellows in front of me that mixed a few beers with some "illegal" cigarettes (ehem,...cough) an´were gettin´ a bit rowdy...good thing for everyone, after U2 started playing into their fifth song, one of the "Vikings" fell flat on the floor unconcious and his mates took him out of the stadium. :coocoo: LOL.
Everyone was quite happy to get a better view of the stage an´all the rest!!
I bet you they are truly ashamed and pissed off now for missing out on a great U2 concert.

First rule of going to a concert (any concert) is to behave and have a great time. ONLY afterwards get wasted with a few drinks and party all night.

So just enjoy the concert and LIVE the MOMENT for what it is meant to be... A once-in-a-lifetime moment :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom