Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcusje

Babyface
hello, i was there also and the band was on fire last night! But what a terrible sound, the stadium is not made for concerts!
Hope they open the roof tomorrow!!

For love or money? (rhetorical question)

Springsteen played Rotterdam (The Kuip). Borsato (biggest Dutch artist) did it. Even the Stones did it the last tour.

Oh well, despite the sound everyone enjoyed the gig from what I've heard. That's the most important thing.

Soulrock2 said:
For love or money? (rhetorical question)

Springsteen played Rotterdam (The Kuip). Borsato (biggest Dutch artist) did it. Even the Stones did it the last tour.

Oh well, despite the sound everyone enjoyed the gig from what I've heard. That's the most important thing.
The Stones played the Amsterdam Arena last tour.. So did David Bowie, Metallica, Simon and Garfunkel, Lenny Kravitz and Bon Jovi over the last 2 years (among others).... :madspit:

I like the Kuip better too, but these days Amsterdam get the gig's! The only big gigs that were held in the Kuip over the last 10(!) years are U2 with Popmart, Bruce and Borstato... While the Amsterdam Arena is packed with stadium gigs year in year out...

Last edited:
Arena sound is shite, but the sound in Feyenoord stadium ('Kuip) sucks as well....sound & sight are the first things to suffer in stadiumshows...but last night was awesome, even for my friends in the nosebleed seats.

Soulrock2 said:
What's your point?
My point is that;
1) you were wrong about the recent Stones gig's in the Kuip
2) the Kuip will be used less and less even though it's a better stadium

See, the Amsterdam Arena's only disadvatage is the bad sound... For a promotor and organizer it is the dream venue really... So the book is most likely closed for the Kuip (unless an artist demands playing there of course)...

I think this deal with where shows are being held has got to do with the basic principle of 'business deals'.
Amsterdam Arena, Rotterdam stadium de Kuip gets some gigs. Arnhem's Gelredome gets shows as well...

Up to 10 years ago when there was no Amsterdam Arena en no Arnhem Gelredome, the Rotterdam Kuip was the venue for big rock shows.... This has changed, because the new venues need the income from Rock concerts in order to survive....

Running a stadium is, in my opinion, not a profitable business.....

Neilz said:

My point is that;
1) you were wrong about the recent Stones gig's in the Kuip

At the 2003 tour, The Stones played both the Kuip and the Amsterdam Arena

Rolling Stones Licks 2003
11 August - Kuip, R'dam
13 August - Kuip, R'dam
15 August - Ahoy,R'dam
16 August - Vredenburg, Utrecht
19 August - Arena, A'dam

source: www.iorr.org

:wave:

marcusje said:
hello, i was there also and the band was on fire last night! But what a terrible sound, the stadium is not made for concerts!
Hope they open the roof tomorrow!!

I don't know where in the stadium you were located. I was in 121 next to the sounddesk. Sound was acceptable there. Sound in Brussels was better...

Roof will not be open tomorrow.. It never is with rock concerts..

1. The roof can't be opened due to the fact that the neighbourhood has complained about the sound over and over again. So it has to stay closed during concerts. (or so we where told by the arena staff).

2. The arena is primarily chosen for it's size and the fact that the connections with public transport are better.

Back
Top Bottom