Annoying Hollywood idiots inside the Honolulu ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
atikicat said:

I suppose it's possible that everyone whose $165 seats were downgraded due to the reconfiguration were given the above offer. That doesn't mean all of them took the offer though. Many people buy reserved seats for a reason, so perhaps they got a partial refund.

The only $165 seats that were changed was those that had an obstructed view because of the towers. I had such a seat. They had a special table set up and they gave people new ticket stubs with different seat locations, thus upgrading the seats. I was at that table a couple times and never saw them give out or offer orange wristbands. They just gave you a new seat.

I was in Orange section N, row 5, so was seated right next to the GA entrance/exit. What I found odd is that all the celebrities (yes, I saw the entire cast of Lost and my personal fav, Ari Gold aka Jeremy Piven - love him!) entered after Pearl Jam. I was really surprised, I would have thought they would have been there for Pearl Jam? Guess not.

Everyone's observations are correct - the elipse (or whatever you want to call it) was half full unitl Pearl Jam's set, once Pearl Jam came on, the was a steady, large pack of "VIP's entering. I mean, we are talking a ton of people entered, especially between PJ and U2 - I couldn't even leave my seat because so many people clogged the aisle for the entire time between the two sets.

If I had waited hours and hours and didn't get into the elipse, I would be pissed. As it was, it sucked to have to see all those people who probably couldn't have cared less that it was U2 playing get to enter the best spot in the house at the last minute.

We had more problems from people wearing those orange vertigo wristbands, than anybody else..seems like most of them were drunk from partying all day..

Definitely the worst concert I went to on the whole tour.....People who showed up late were rude and obnoxious..

There were at least five women we wanted to beat down and one who got tossed by security because she was so drunk.

Since when does being a women give you a right to be rude and get away with bad behavior!!! As larry likes to say " FUCK OFF AND DIE"

I was so pissed off by the start of the show, it was hard to enjoy it..

The music was fine, hard to complain about the band...It's tough to please everyone..

Final thoughts to some so called fans who were at the concert best said by Scott, Head of U2 Security, who said it to the two obnoxious women next to us.

"You need to cut that shit out and start paying attention to some of the lryics.."

Enjoyed seeing all you nice fans who did help make my trip enjoyable and look forward to the next tour and seeing you soon, Right Larry?

Last edited:
Definitely not a highlight on this tour, IMO. lousy GA management, obnoxious "fans" in the ellipse, the whole VIP fiasco, plus the set list was average (the only bright spot was bringing back LAPOE). the band of course rocked (we were still damn close), we had a great time in spite of some difficulties, and PJ and Billie Joe was a treat. but of the dozen or so we did, this was mid to low on the scale. just my 2 cents.

I agree with the last two posts. It's hard to find any wrong in the show itself, besides the average setlist. But really, the obnoxious GA people and the drama with the front of the line really put a damper on things. It's never any fun being worried the entire show because of an unruly crowd.

ultravioletluvv said:
I agree with the last two posts. It's hard to find any wrong in the show itself, besides the average setlist. But really, the obnoxious GA people and the drama with the front of the line really put a damper on things. It's never any fun being worried the entire show because of an unruly crowd.

Excuse me there is no way to control a stadium show GA Line crowd. People turn this shit into drama. If there is drama in the front of the line say something in line if people are cutting in front of you. Its your duty to make sure no one cuts in front of you. Speak up and don't be shy! How about you monitoring a line of 1000 to 3000+ people. Once the local security splits you up its your job to make sure what the heck is going on and allowing no one else in front of you other than the one's that have been there longer than you.

Arena shows you can control the GA line up until 3 p.m. Stadium show no way to control it.

bfloxng said:

The only $165 seats that were changed was those that had an obstructed view because of the towers. I had such a seat. They had a special table set up and they gave people new ticket stubs with different seat locations, thus upgrading the seats. I was at that table a couple times and never saw them give out or offer orange wristbands. They just gave you a new seat.
I think the only people who got the bands for this reason were those who bought the platinum ticket packages through whatever tour group that did the Hawaii show...the one that had the pre-concert luau party. I heard (second-hand) from someone who was there that it was only about 5-6 people, which certainly doesn't account for the huge influx of people with orange bands that began pouring in later. I doubt there were too many people reusing bands either. The ones I saw at least looked brand new, not some old beat-up, taped back together thing.

I showed up at 7pm on Friday night and managed to get a rail on Edge's b-stage, but I feel bad for all those who waited in the sun all day Sat. and got screwed.

Last edited:
Chris Milk (Saints video director) was inside the Adam side b-stage.
At first I was kind of annoyed because they were in my way but
A. I realized who he was
B. They moved out of fans views when they could.

Well, from what I can tell there were maybe only 30-50 VIPs in the inner section from the reports I've read, so to say that they were a problem really doesn't fly with me. I think that the bigger problem with the empty stadium was the fact that radio stations were saying that gates were not going to open until 4pm the day of the show. From what I am reading, it took some people 2+ hours just to get to the stadium, let alone into the venue. We were very unsure of what to do because we first heard about the gates opening from 6 to midnight on the 8th and not being re-opened until 4pm on Saturday. We did not want to waste any more of our limited time in Hawaii standing in line than we absolutely had to, so we decided to go to the stadium Saturday morning anyway just to see what the deal was. We were pleasantly surprised to see that they were allowing parking and we made it into the 3rd 'pen/cage'. Security at that point seemed like they had a lock on things, they were very friendly, had a good system with the 2 hour rule w/ the wristbands (although in pen 3 it was pretty much an honor system, no lists were being kept). The head of security also came out and gave everyone clear information as to what they expected in terms of fan cooperation. Other than them letting us in at around 5pm vs. their initial estimate of 3pm, things went very smoothly. I wasn't sure why they were thinking about letting us in at 3 anyway as the stadium would have been hotter than hell and at least in the lot we could get some shade from the trees.

Personally, I thought it was pretty cool seeing the d-list celebrities inside, there weren't many of them and they were a harmless distraction that added to the entertainment of the evening, imho.

But if the radio stations were instructing everyone that the gates were opening at 4pm, I think that is where the major problems with the bottlenecks were. Traffic sucked on the Nimitz Highway on an average day, add a U2 concert into the mix and there is a recipe for gridlock if there ever was one.

u2wedge said:
Well, from what I can tell there were maybe only 30-50 VIPs in the inner section from the reports I've read, so to say that they were a problem really doesn't fly with me.

I'm not sure were you were situated, but I was seated right next to Edge's side entrance/exit to elipse area I literally watched a steady stream, I am going to conservatively estimate at least a couple hundred people, be let into the elipse area - these were not people who had left and were being let back in (I was sitting there from the beginning of Rocko's set, so I would have noticed that many people leaving), these were people who had just arrived at the stadium. Many of them had a black notebook/binder thing with them, I have no idea what that was.

Trust me, from where I was sitting, I saw a very large contignent of "VIPs" (I use that term sarcastically) enter the elipse. I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom between PJ and U2 set because of the massses of people being allowed into the elipse and blocking the aisles at this point. It was crazy and totally surprising to me.

Kinsa said:

Many of them had a black notebook/binder thing with them, I have no idea what that was.

That's a gift for all the VIPs. It's leather bound day planner with the Vertigo tour emblem embossed on the front. I was a "VIP" at the first show in Japan and I got one too.

I also lost it during the concert. I couldn't hold on to it, my camera, and my space. I put it down and at the end of the show it was gone.

Oh well. I wasn't a "true" VIP anyway.

:shrug:

ha ha i saw that lady! so crazy
i saw sieed (SP?) from lost...dude he gave me a dirty look i wasnt staring or anything i just turned around and there he was so i smiled and said hi cuz he was looking at me geeeeeeeez

Kinsa said:

I'm not sure were you were situated, but I was seated right next to Edge's side entrance/exit to elipse area I literally watched a steady stream, I am going to conservatively estimate at least a couple hundred people, be let into the elipse area - these were not people who had left and were being let back in (I was sitting there from the beginning of Rocko's set, so I would have noticed that many people leaving), these were people who had just arrived at the stadium. Many of them had a black notebook/binder thing with them, I have no idea what that was.

Trust me, from where I was sitting, I saw a very large contignent of "VIPs" (I use that term sarcastically) enter the elipse. I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom between PJ and U2 set because of the massses of people being allowed into the elipse and blocking the aisles at this point. It was crazy and totally surprising to me.

So that's the portfolio that Laura from Lost used to block my shot of Hurley.... hmmm.

I personally thought the VIP situation was a non-issue. You're always going to have that sort of thing at shows of this magnitude. That's just show business. If you were kept out of the inner section due to those extra 200 bodies, sure it sucked, but you have to realize that you were probably on the bubble anyway.

But it wasn't just "200" people - I stated that I believed it was conservatively a couple hundred, I guess I should have been more specific, my conservative estimate is at least 350-400 people were let in during this time. I don't think that was normal for this tour at all (but I don't really know, as this was the only stadium show I have been to)

I really have no dog in the hunt, because I was in seats (other than the fact that I was totally pissed I couldn't get out of my seat because the large constant stream of people blocked the aisle the entire time between PJ and U2 set), but I write just to relay that I understand the great disappointment people must have flet if they waited all day and still didn't get into the front section. That's a bummer. I have been to 6 shows this tour, and never saw this many "VIP" be let in.

atikicat said:

II doubt there were too many people reusing bands either. The ones I saw at least looked brand new, not some old beat-up, taped back together thing.

Although...that night's bands could be reused. If you took your band off and exited, your neck would get stamped. You could then give your band to someone else, they go in, leave, get stamped, etc.

I'm betting that happened as well. The ellipse was half empty then, after Pearl Jam, pretty jam-packed

My girl bought one GA ticket for MSG,It cost her 600! I didn't get into the elipse but i was up front on the other side.It was a dream come true.However I will not go to any more shows because of all the Bullshit! I gave them enough of my money since 1986!

I got to pen 4 at 12:10pm (honor system, VIP wristband and all that--meaning people there hours later got in ahead of me and others there earlier than I), and missed getting into the ellipse by about 30 people. Needless to say, we were upset at the freakin' EMPTY front area and stupid Lost VIPs. Dallas did come around and hand me a pick though, that sort of made up for being 30'+ farther away than we would've been---when we got our spot, 0-2 people from the rail, people inside the ellipse were only 2-3 deep on Edge's b-stage. We would've been soooo close if they'd let more people in!

Great vacation, good experience overall, but GOD, the little things that added up and were so *stupid*! The not-getting-into-the-ellipse, the no merch to be found, the 2-hr bus there and horrible time getting back...*sigh*

rosephile said:
I got to pen 4 at 12:10pm (honor system, VIP wristband and all that--meaning people there hours later got in ahead of me and others there earlier than I), and missed getting into the ellipse by about 30 people. Needless to say, we were upset at the freakin' EMPTY front area and stupid Lost VIPs. Dallas did come around and hand me a pick though, that sort of made up for being 30'+ farther away than we would've been---when we got our spot, 0-2 people from the rail, people inside the ellipse were only 2-3 deep on Edge's b-stage. We would've been soooo close if they'd let more people in!

I felt sooooo bad about this! I never saw any of these celebs so I'm positive there weren't enough to warrant saving THAT much room in the inner part. Towards the end of the show, I was second row and still just two steps away from open space behind me. Before the show I went out to buy food and a woman on the rail of the back part was literally bawling b/c she wasn't in the front part and we had so much room. It wasn't even half full!

Glad you were still able to enjoy the trip.

Liesje said:

I felt sooooo bad about this! I never saw any of these celebs so I'm positive there weren't enough to warrant saving THAT much room in the inner part. Towards the end of the show, I was second row and still just two steps away from open space behind me. Before the show I went out to buy food and a woman on the rail of the back part was literally bawling b/c she wasn't in the front part and we had so much room. It wasn't even half full!

Glad you were still able to enjoy the trip.

Thanks. You're right--even after all the VIPs finally waltzed in, there was still plenty of room in the back. People were dancing back there and had *feet*, not inches, between them in at least the back 1/3 of the ellipse space. The only upside to all that room was that no one was ever blocking our view (though I couldn't see the far b-stage/catwalk, too many tall folk in between). Siiigh. Well, me & the two fellow semi-obsessee chicks I hung out with there agreed that next time, we'd just camp out to be safe. For stadiums, at least. :) (my friends who came with already thought I was crazy for leaving the hotel at 10am for the show, they'd never camp out!)

we were in the back part of the ellipse. By the end of the night, we still had space back there, but we also had a bunch of "look at me" people who thought they were really important who kept talking to each other and yelling out nonsense at the top of their lungs.

The height of annoyance was when one girl walked by us and told her friend "isn't it great how these people waited outside all day and we can just walk in and be in the same place?"
Vomit.

We were right in the mix of the Lost cast, and not all were just wasting space. When I glanced over, many of them were REALLY into the concert -- I'm talking about "Charlie," "Desmond," and the new Brazilian guy "Paulo." Full on pogo-ing and singing along.

"Sawyer" and "Locke" were into it, too and to me, seemed to be enjoying being in the energy of the U2/PJ fans.

And I thought it was really cool that in between PJ and U2 sets, most of the cast stuck around and took endless pictures with people. Not pretenious at all. Jeremy Piven, on the other hand, had his cell phone glued up to his ear and kept brushing off anyone who would approach.

a great night, though, despite the annoyances ... they are always there in some fashion.

peace,
delilah

rosephile said:

Great vacation, good experience overall, but GOD, the little things that added up and were so *stupid*! The not-getting-into-the-ellipse, the no merch to be found, the 2-hr bus there and horrible time getting back...*sigh*

Hey you, I need to email you!!!

And I thought it was really cool that in between PJ and U2 sets, most of the cast stuck around and took endless pictures with people. Not pretenious at all. Jeremy Piven, on the other hand, had his cell phone glued up to his ear and kept brushing off anyone who would approach.

Hes not all that anyway. :|

skjuls said:

Hey you, I need to email you!!!

Yay! I don't remember which one I gave you, but dkmxfka[at]hotmail.com is the one I use most often...

How's your warm winter going? (isn't it in the 70s over there?? And here it's "balmy" at 30.)

delilah1310 said:
we were in the back part of the ellipse. By the end of the night, we still had space back there, but we also had a bunch of "look at me" people who thought they were really important who kept talking to each other and yelling out nonsense at the top of their lungs.

The height of annoyance was when one girl walked by us and told her friend "isn't it great how these people waited outside all day and we can just walk in and be in the same place?"
Vomit.

We were right in the mix of the Lost cast, and not all were just wasting space. When I glanced over, many of them were REALLY into the concert -- I'm talking about "Charlie," "Desmond," and the new Brazilian guy "Paulo." Full on pogo-ing and singing along.

"Sawyer" and "Locke" were into it, too and to me, seemed to be enjoying being in the energy of the U2/PJ fans.

a great night, though, despite the annoyances ... they are always there in some fashion.

peace,
delilah

As a big "Lost" fan I'm glad to see that most of my favorite characters behaved decently! :)

JCOSTER said:

You were in Hawaii?! How did I not get to meet you :reject:

Liesje said:

You were in Hawaii?! How did I not get to meet you :reject:

No I wasn't, wish I was. I was just saying about Jeremy Piven. I should have explained myself better. Thats what happens when I get really tired I start talking funny.

JCOSTER said:

Ahhh, I love me some Ari Gold!! :wink: I was most excited to see him, just because he is such an amazing actor. And when I saw him, he was being nice to everyone, hugging people he knew, talking to them, etc. I saw him for a few mintues, and there was no cell phone in sight. It was when he first entered the elipse, between the 2 sets, but really only a few minutes before U2 came on, so I don't know how he could have been ignoring that many people, he wasn't even there that long.

Actually, I'm not sure what you saw, but from my vantage point (right next to the exit/entrance of the elipse) the entire Lost cast was not there for the PJ set at all (this totally surprised me), everyone except Locke (I saw him in the elipse, just didn't see him enter, so not sure if he was there for PJ or not) came in between PJ and U2, so they really weren't there for that long of a time. The cast was all excited to see each other, and were hugging each other (especially Kate (don't know her real name), she was hugging everyone and saying hi.

JCOSTER said:
Jeremy Piven, on the other hand, had his cell phone glued up to his ear and kept brushing off anyone who would approach.

I love him, but I heard that he's just as much of an asshole in real life as he is on Entourage.

Back
Top Bottom