MERGED-->March 28, San Diego Sports Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think these people want to see the band playing in a mud field with an acoustic guitar, african drum, kazoo and 3 candles. Then, AND TRULY THEN will the band get back to their roots.

the heart was such a great idea that they had to put it in somehow... even if it's kind of repetitive, i think most fans would be upset if they didn't have something like the heart on this tour.

also... if htey put huge video screens behind the stage, it would block out the rear view seating... making tickets even harder to get then they already were.

the light nets were simply a way to add to the show but not restrict anyone's view. :shrug: i'll ahve to wait until i see the show in person to really judge... but htey look great in the pictures we've seen.

sandiego27.jpg

nets.jpg

View from the nosebleed/crapy seats section REVIEW!

I am one of those who got tickets in a "not-so-great" section of the areana for the concert (to the left of the stage). Thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where fellow "nosebleeders" who have already been could talk about/review the concert from their "unique" perspective?:wink:

salim
seats-u2.bmp

Opening night review

With ears still ringing and visions of U2 dancing in my head...

The night got off an amazing start for me when, from my seat in the front row of a section just off the floor to the left of the stage, I spotted Steve Lillywhite walking towards the sound booth. It happened that he was looking right at me as he walked past and so I said hello and applauded a bit. He stopped, looked at me with a big smile, and indicated that I'd best remove the ear plugs in my ears. I threw them to the floor. He laughed and walked over to me and said, "It isn't going to be that loud." I shook his hand and told him that after many U2 tours it was my first "opening night." He said that after 7 albums it was his first "opening night show as well." He complimented my seats and we exchanged a couple more comments before he moved on, obviously totally pumped for the night. The night was off to a good start!

After the requisite between-act music priming us for U2, and with the lights up, a song broke through the pattern with a completely different feel. It had a tribal drum beat and sounded a lot like a young U2. Lillywhite, who had found his place in the center of the console in the sound booth, was grinning from ear to ear and pumping his fist with the beat. This was it!!

Would U2 enter the arena, house lights up, as in Elevation 2001?

Lights out. Insanity. And as everyone by now knows, comes the piano introduction to "City of Blinding Lights." I'd told my friend that I expected to hear the song but I'd kept myself ignorant of pre-show proposed set lists and rumors and had no idea they would open the show with it. So to be completely honest, my first reaction was disappointment-- it's a soaring, beautiful, spiritually uplifting piece that I originally felt should have been more at the back end.

Oh, how wrong I was.

It's an unusual opener only from the standpoint that it doesn't have the punch of a "Zoo Station" or "Elevation" or "Streets" from the word "go," but I had forgotten how well it builds into a joyous rave. The San Diego Sports Arena was hands in the air, bodies moving up and down, church was in session and U2 was proclaiming the good word. And it was good.

There's going to be endless discussions about the entire setlist and it's here in another thread to be analyzed, so I won't waste your time going song by song. I'll just mention a few standouts:

"The Electric Co." - What a joy to hear this gem in the place held by "I Will Follow" for so many tours. And in my opinion, a declaration that U2 is not here to cater to the Top 10 but to play a U2 show for U2 fans. And if that wasn't enough, immediately thereafter:

"An Cat Dubh" - Oh. My. God. Pull out all versions you have of the song. Find the darkest version, with Edge's guitar as achingly beautiful as it gets. Trust me: last night's version was more dark and more beautiful. I don't want to ruin it for anyone but I have to describe this: lights go down, screens go blue with individual shots of the boys (a la Elevation 2001) and only stark blue light creating an otherworldly wash bathe them in this blue hue-- and then this plaintive, aching wailing of Edge's guitar. Edge, Play The Blues, indeed. Bono obviously doesn't sound like the Bono of 1980 but in my opinion he sounds even better with the soulful rasp in his voice and he sounded absolutely perfect to me as his falsetto reached the heights of "Yes and I know the truth about you." But you ask, what about the extended bridge between "An Cat Dubh" and "Into The Heart"? Like a dream, Bono started prowling like a panther (the black cat, yes?) around the circle, then getting down on all fours, then rolling over onto his back and going completely still. Focus back to Edge and Adam who shared one lone blue light and the guitar work went into what I can only describe as ecstasy. It was like U2 suddenly channeled the Doors, Edge letting himself stretch out like Robby Krieger in the day. You might ask: wouldn't the drastic energy change be a show-killer after "Electric Co."? If anything it just built the energy in the place to a fever pitch.

All I can tell you is it was the glory of rock and roll in all its glory. It was a moment that wouldn't have worked in any of the 90s shows but fit like a glove last night. And was probably the moment, in a show with many such moments, that was about giving the fans -- and I mean the fans going back to 1980 -- what they want.

Frankly I don't remember a thing that happened after that. Just kidding. But for me it was U2 taking off the gloves and taking charge of not only being a great rock band but moreover, taking charge of being U fucking 2.

Let's see-- other highlights? Without being a drooling fan, there were many highlights. "Zoo Station," "Running to Stand Still," every song from HTDAAB.

Let me just take a moment to comment to anyone who thinks HTDAAB is to "mellow." SEE THIS SHOW. U2 blew the lid off the place with every single song from HTDAAB, including "Sometimes," which is easily the slowest pace of the bunch. Not to blow any surprises, but I've never been a huge fan of "Yahweh," but their acoustic version made me see the song in a whole new light. It's a song, like "Walk On" that I just did not "get" in CD form, but now that I've seen them perform it, well, I "get it" now.

No surprise here but LAPOE is just freaking thunder. In the show that ACD/ITH was allowed to stretch out, LAPOE was in step in reminded the crowd that U2 can explode.

I frequently looked over to the sound booth to see how Lillywhite was enjoying himself and I will tell you that he didn't stop moving through the entire show. His grin was endless and he was dancing from beginning to end, even playing air guitar with Edge during some of the harder stuff. His boys are back and brilliant.

Where would I rate the show in the context of seeing every tour multiple times since 11/18/87? It's impossible because I'm still 10 feet off the ground. It was their least self conscious tour (as I felt the 90s shows were way too self conscious) in the sense that they didn't feel the need to avoid or protect an image. They just came out and kicked out a show that was true to the U2 of ages. Am I just saying that because they left the stage a la the early 80s with the crowd eagerly singing "How long to sing this song?" Maybe somewhat. But trust me, when they come to your town, you'll probably hear from the first notes of COBL that their intention is to play the kind of U2 show that they would want to hear- and we're invited to sit in.

I agree, you're closer than half the floor! Who cares if you are directly in front? Close from the side is always better than far away in the front!

The light curtains look great. Also, Adam Clayton was dead on saying it was the same concept of the Elevation stage but with more production lights and such. Looks great. I'm really scared I won't be able to see the screens as I have seats on the lower level right by Adam.

thanks! "I'm getting ready to leave the ground..." Still a bit high from the night (emotionally)-- Hope you'll see it Radem R!! Twice!! Or more!!

Hey nice job on the censorship of my curtain of lights comments...
this wasn't a review of the show but a commentary on the set design that should have been left in the other section where it belongs.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Boriel-

Bono didn't dance with a fan, but check this out: He walks to the back of the stage, as I recall during "Electric Co.," and is very close to those in the front row behind the stage. Of course, people are reaching out to him. He chooses one girl and walks as far to the back of the stage as he can go, leans out to her, and extends his index finger as if to touch her. She responds by leaning over the railing as far as she can go and they're about two inches away from connecting when she loses her balance and nearly spins over the railing. The people on either side of her grabbed her and pulled her back. Bono drops to one knee and puts his hand on his heart, as if to say, "I just had a heart attack." He was laughing when he stood up and came back to the mic but it freaked him out. Needless to say, security was down on the front of that row preventing people from reaching out to Bono for the rest of the night!

As for it being a first, Bono hasn't danced with a fan for a while now... I haven't seen it in years, at least at the shows I've attended...

Re: Opening night review

gregvernon said:

The night got off an amazing start for me when, from my seat in the front row of a section just off the floor to the left of the stage, I spotted Steve Lillywhite walking towards the sound booth. It happened that he was looking right at me as he walked past and so I said hello and applauded a bit. He stopped, looked at me with a big smile, and indicated that I'd best remove the ear plugs in my ears. I threw them to the floor. He laughed and walked over to me and said, "It isn't going to be that loud." I shook his hand and told him that after many U2 tours it was my first "opening night." He said that after 7 albums it was his first "opening night show as well." He complimented my seats and we exchanged a couple more comments before he moved on, obviously totally pumped for the night. The night was off to a good start!

After the requisite between-act music priming us for U2, and with the lights up, a song broke through the pattern with a completely different feel. It had a tribal drum beat and sounded a lot like a young U2. Lillywhite, who had found his place in the center of the console in the sound booth, was grinning from ear to ear and pumping his fist with the beat. This was it!!

Lights out. Insanity. And as everyone by now knows, comes the piano introduction to "City of Blinding Lights." I'd told my friend that I expected to hear the song but I'd kept myself ignorant of pre-show proposed set lists and rumors and had no idea they would open the show with it. So to be completely honest, my first reaction was disappointment-- it's a soaring, beautiful, spiritually uplifting piece that I originally felt should have been more at the back end.

Oh, how wrong I was.

It's an unusual opener only from the standpoint that it doesn't have the punch of a "Zoo Station" or "Elevation" or "Streets" from the word "go," but I had forgotten how well it builds into a joyous rave. The San Diego Sports Arena was hands in the air, bodies moving up and down, church was in session and U2 was proclaiming the good word. And it was good.

There's going to be endless discussions about the entire setlist and it's here in another thread to be analyzed, so I won't waste your time going song by song. I'll just mention a few standouts:

"The Electric Co." - What a joy to hear this gem in the place held by "I Will Follow" for so many tours. And in my opinion, a declaration that U2 is not here to cater to the Top 10 but to play a U2 show for U2 fans. And if that wasn't enough, immediately thereafter:

"An Cat Dubh" - Oh. My. God. Pull out all versions you have of the song. Find the darkest version, with Edge's guitar as achingly beautiful as it gets. Trust me: last night's version was more dark and more beautiful. I don't want to ruin it for anyone but I have to describe this: lights go down, screens go blue with individual shots of the boys (a la Elevation 2001) and only stark blue light creating an otherworldly wash bathe them in this blue hue-- and then this plaintive, aching wailing of Edge's guitar. Edge, Play The Blues, indeed. Bono obviously doesn't sound like the Bono of 1980 but in my opinion he sounds even better with the soulful rasp in his voice and he sounded absolutely perfect to me as his falsetto reached the heights of "Yes and I know the truth about you." But you ask, what about the extended bridge between "An Cat Dubh" and "Into The Heart"? Like a dream, Bono started prowling like a panther (the black cat, yes?) around the circle, then getting down on all fours, then rolling over onto his back and going completely still. Focus back to Edge and Adam who shared one lone blue light and the guitar work went into what I can only describe as ecstasy. It was like U2 suddenly channeled the Doors, Edge letting himself stretch out like Robby Krieger in the day. You might ask: wouldn't the drastic energy change be a show-killer after "Electric Co."? If anything it just built the energy in the place to a fever pitch.

All I can tell you is it was the glory of rock and roll in all its glory. It was a moment that wouldn't have worked in any of the 90s shows but fit like a glove last night. And was probably the moment, in a show with many such moments, that was about giving the fans -- and I mean the fans going back to 1980 -- what they want.

Frankly I don't remember a thing that happened after that. Just kidding. But for me it was U2 taking off the gloves and taking charge of not only being a great rock band but moreover, taking charge of being U fucking 2.

Let's see-- other highlights? Without being a drooling fan, there were many highlights. "Zoo Station," "Running to Stand Still," every song from HTDAAB.

Let me just take a moment to comment to anyone who thinks HTDAAB is to "mellow." SEE THIS SHOW. U2 blew the lid off the place with every single song from HTDAAB, including "Sometimes," which is easily the slowest pace of the bunch. Not to blow any surprises, but I've never been a huge fan of "Yahweh," but their acoustic version made me see the song in a whole new light. It's a song, like "Walk On" that I just did not "get" in CD form, but now that I've seen them perform it, well, I "get it" now.

No surprise here but LAPOE is just freaking thunder. In the show that ACD/ITH was allowed to stretch out, LAPOE was in step in reminded the crowd that U2 can explode.

I frequently looked over to the sound booth to see how Lillywhite was enjoying himself and I will tell you that he didn't stop moving through the entire show. His grin was endless and he was dancing from beginning to end, even playing air guitar with Edge during some of the harder stuff. His boys are back and brilliant.

Where would I rate the show in the context of seeing every tour multiple times since 11/18/87? It's impossible because I'm still 10 feet off the ground. It was their least self conscious tour (as I felt the 90s shows were way too self conscious) in the sense that they didn't feel the need to avoid or protect an image. They just came out and kicked out a show that was true to the U2 of ages. Am I just saying that because they left the stage a la the early 80s with the crowd eagerly singing "How long to sing this song?" Maybe somewhat. But trust me, when they come to your town, you'll probably hear from the first notes of COBL that their intention is to play the kind of U2 show that they would want to hear- and we're invited to sit in.

:up: :applaud:
Now that's what I call a review.

HelloAngel said:
For MTV's writeup, go here.

from the mtv thing:
Later, after working in some lines from "Stories for Boys," Bono gave the audience another shout-out, changing the lyric "I'm at a place called Vertigo" to "San Diego." (Good luck in East Rutherford.)

thanks MTV...he can just say New Jersey...

After waiting outside the venue accompanied by an array of U2 fans from literally all over the world including Brazil, Germany, Japan, Africa, Canada and all over the US, the four year wait was 100% worth it.

The openers Kings of Leon sucked. The music composition itself wasn't band however, it was the lead singer's annoying vocals that turned me off. The best way to describe their sound would be "alternative country." I tried my best to like them considering that I'm going to have to see them four more times on the Vertigo tour.

U2 opened with City of Blinding Lights , an unlikely opener off U2's latest album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." During the opening track the audience was showered with red, silver, and white confetti, similar color scheme from the latest album.

Forgiveness is given to the band for the slight technical difficulties since it was the opening night of the Vertigo tour. As Bono said half way through the show, "I apologize for the screw up but were amongst friends here."

Bono's vocals were noticeably off key at some parts and he struggled with some of the notes. The Edge covered Bono more so than on previous tours with the vocals. However, the energy was definitely there as the audience sang along.

I was surprised that U2 dug out some gems from "Boy", their first album. It was good to not hear the overplayed I Will Follow and hear The Electric Company and An Cat Dubh in replacement.

The overall set list was not as varied as on the Elevation tour between the new and the classics (singles) but those who appreciate and enjoy the new album and some of U2's older albums will definitely enjoy the show. The setlistwas catered to the U2 fan more so than the commercial casual mainstream listener.

The stage setting was just amazing. It ran along the similar theme of Elevation of the segregated section on the floor. This time instead of a heart, it was appropriately shaped as a target. Whether you were in the target or just outside, the view on the floor was spectacular and Bono was not shy when it came to working the crowd. The stage was also adored with multiple bead curtain-like (backdrop) video screens.

There were some personal moments for me during the show, one of which is obvious to most of you reading this who are close to me. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own made me cry literally. During the song I stood there with my eyes closed and told myself, "What makes me so special to be here when other U2 fans were trying so hard to be here?" U2 fans are the sweetest 'cause some were having emotional moments of there own and we just stared at each other and lip synced the lyrics to each other.

Setlist:
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Cry - The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
Beautiful Day
New Year's Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky / Hands That Built America
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Elevation

Encore(s):
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
All Because Of You
Yahweh

HELLOANGEL,
Hey you guys moved my "nosebleed seets"thread and stuck it in as a review but its not really. I just wanted to hear from people how the view was from were they sat...Was the stage set up so that those in the sides and back could get a "good show", were the screens visable from the roof!,etc.

Could you move me back?
Salim

HelloAngel said:
Hey everyone -

if you want to discuss the show, please find the other threads to do so. For this thread's purposes, it should be to post reviews - fan or professional.

Carrie,
Very well.:)

Review Opening Night Vertigo Tour 2005 San Diego.

A Fusion of Boldness and Hope.

By David Schroeder

This tour was a fusion of some of U2's best work and live songs
of the past and incorporated all into one bold presentation on where they're headed.

By the end of the evening Bono gave his audience both a plea and admonition.

The band opened the show with City of Blinding Lights. It was grand in scale and magnificent to behold. At the end, multi colored confetti showered the entire arena. Felt like prom night and the best of all holidays. This gesture set the tone for the evening.

Early on Bono look determined to sell his wares and the audience were like Pavlov dogs lapping up every morsel thrown their way by the singer.

Vertigo came off o.k. San Diego being next to Mexico had a large contingent of Spanish speaking fans in the audience. Later on in the evening Bono promised to visit Mexico in 2006. Stories for Boys were partially sung and came off decent.
I saw early on Bono was going to fuse his past work into this show.

Bono next pulled Electric Co out of his ass and fused "Bring on the Clowns" and didn’t seem too worried about a potentail copyright lawsuit this time.

Times have changed for U2 esp knowing you have large bollocks after being a recent inductee into the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame.
It was rumored the Bono's balls were so large a wheel barrel could be needed to help him on and off the stage this evening.
He was in rare form.

343533%3A723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B5384%3B%3B7ot1lsi

Next came An Cat Dubh-"The Black Cat" and Into the Heart. Bono was mimicing a rapid cat biting at the audience during Edge's instrumental part,while at center mic. Next they segued into ITH and Bono walked towords the tip of the egg lieing down beautifully singing. He was as comfortable as a carefree pauper laying on a bed of roses.

We were on our way.

Next came Beautiful Day. This was a crowd favorite and the entire arena was on it's feet and LOUD.

343533%3A723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B5386%3B64ot1lsi

Part of the fusing was the large Pop Mart screen was ressurected for a few songs.

Bono struted ran the same way like on the Heart but now the Heart was shape like an Oval or Egg. There was the large Pop Mart screen that would be used for a few songs thru out the evening-hence the fusing I spoke of.

NYD and Miracle Drug were next and they both came off decent.
343533%3A723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B5386692ot1lsi

SomeTimes You Cant Make It OnYour Own was both poignant and charming.

Love Peace or Else was one of the many climatical moments of the night. Larry had a standing drum kit at the tip of the Egg. Bono toward the end of the song swipes Larry's sticks and TAKES OVER.

Yes BONO PLAYS the DRUMS and magnificently! Bono is at Larry's standing drum kit with a headband on and POUNDING the DRUM. Like a warrior soilder leading a war parade Bono proudly beats the shit out of Lawerence's drum Bono has took over. Stoic and proud with his chin high Bono pounded for about 3 mins. it was quite a sight something most have never seen before.

Bono during one part of the show and mimiced a hostage with a blindfold similar to what we all hve seen on the news. I believe it was Bullet the Blue Sky He then segued into Hands That Built America. Very MOVING and THEACTRICAL.

343533%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B53869%3C6ot1lsi

Paul McGunniness was in the Egg and I had chatted w/him earlier. Bill Walton was there as well..

Next Zoo Station and The Fly were performed. The large PopMart Type Screen was incorporated and grafted in quite well.

Elevation was next and only so so.

Pride and Streets followed Bono admonished the crowd to get involved w/the One Campaign and Africa. This is the direction this band is heading. In 10 yrs time I can see Bono retired from Rock and Rock to exert all of his energies on this cause, which should be every decent person's cause as well.

One was played -a crowd favorite.

All Because of You was an encore song and a crowd pleaser. Yahweh was next and done acoustically. Larry had a computerized keyboard set up by Adam.

343533%3A723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B5384%3A%3B3ot1lsi

Speaking of Adam he is probably the best looking of the four now.:)
343533%3A723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B5386568ot1lsi

343533%3A723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B5386282ot1lsi

The last song of the night was 40. Adam and Edge switched sides.
This classic U2 closer came off touching somber and melancholy.

The crowd knew this was the last song and left peacefully.
Once again all feeling fed and nourished and our souls replenished we exited the arena with smiles on our faces and joy in our hearts.

There were mobs of TV cameras wanting to talk to fans. I avoided these people, I needed to look for my ride Mr Eliv8 (Kev) who has been so kind to put me up for these 2 shows here in SD. A very gracious and hospitable fellow indeed.

Now to prepare for night #2.:)

diamond
David Schroeder
(the big guy).

I kant rite good like what Diamond duz so heres sum pikchures

343534%3B523232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3249%3E73%3B%3E9%3A6%3EWSNRCG%3D32328%3A4%3A%3A946%3Bnu0mrj

Bonos new jacket

343534%3B523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E233%3A%3D82%3C%3D%3A97%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B3%3B9%3B365ot1lsi

343534%3B523232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E233%3A%3D82%3C%3D%3A97%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B3%3B996%3B4ot1lsi

The warrior on Larry's drum

343534%3B523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E233%3A%3D82%3C%3D%3A97%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B3%3B9%3A677ot1lsi

Pop type screen for Zoo songs

Last edited:
gregvernon said:
Hi Boriel-

Bono didn't dance with a fan ... Needless to say, security was down on the front of that row preventing people from reaching out to Bono for the rest of the night!

shit:mad: , is Bono gong to get rid of his prerogative to choose best girl from the crowd and have a kiss? ...
or maybe he little scary of fans now, 'coz we could tear him to shreds?:macdevil:

Diamond, when you say Adam and Edge switched sides on 40, do you mean Adam went on guitar and Edge on bass (i think that's what you meant)...just like they used to?

Also, was Electric Co. as expansive and cosmic as it was on UABRS?

Did Bono play the mini-drums and sing at the same time (impressive if he did)?

How as ABOY? Did Bono play guitars on that (or just the tambourine)?

Great reviews everyone. Electric Co. and Zoo Station on the same setlist is happy news.

Last edited:
We were at the tip of the heart (I'm always going to call it that --ellipse doesn't work for me!) and the show was amazing.

I will write a proper review later, as I'm back in San Francisco and at work, but the setlist was AWESOME, the visual effects were perfect, and the band was so psyched.

The big glitch was that the vocal mix was all screwed up: Bono sounded like he'd sucked helium from a balloon, on multiple occasions. People were screaming "stop screwing with his voice!!!" to the soundbooth. It was a shame too because his singing would have sounded fine otherwise. After a while, I just got used to it and focused on not letting it bother me, but this needs to be said, for accuracy's sake: the vocals were COMPLETELY screwed up last night.

As Bono said from the stage though at the end of the first set, "We're entitled to screw up a little bit, we're amongst friends, right?" and the crowd roared its approval. No one seemed to mind the vocal problems because everything else was so amazing.

Overall, a great first show.

My Opening Night Review - Good and Bad (Detailed GA Experience)

I apologize for posting this seperatly from the other threads about San Diego 1, but I wanted to cover a few different subjects and give some people as much insight to our experience.

We first went to the venue Sunday night at about 1 AM, and there were about 125 people lined up on the arena property. This seemed to be sanctioned by the arena, as there were San Diego police and arena security there and were not interfering with the happenings. I had earlier read the lottery news on atU2.com and in addition to hearing it from first hand witnesses that were told the policy from at least 3 different persons intimately involved with the U2 production at the LA Dress Rehearsal one of which was Scott, the head of U2's security detail. I was still curious if people were going to line up anyway as it would affect our decision and no one at this point quite knew the details of the lottery. I quickly found an interesting mix at the line up at the Sports Arena that night. As usual, most fans were cool and hungry for anything I might have heard...and of course there were people that were not very receptive. I, after all, wasn't trying to convince anyone to do anything...and there was no way I would leave either if I was the top 10 in line. Regardless, I left with the idea that a lottery was going to happen and that it wasn't necessary to sleep out.

I received a call about 7 from a fan I met that (Brian, what up!) night telling me that there was announcement that there would not, in fact, be a lottery. My wife and I left in 20 min and by the time we got to the Arena at 7:45 we were 317 and 318 in line. About 9, U2 staff came out and made an announcement that they would be moving us around to the north side of the building. Once on that side, they seperated us out in two ways. If you had a ticket that said W-FAN on it you got into the short line (for U2.com members) and everyone else got into the other line. Disappointing for us, as at this point our group was fractured and our tickets were actually fan club presales that Ticketmaster sold us after our code was invaliditated, but they did not have the W-FAN on them. There was no other way that they determined U2.com members from non U2.com members. In fact, many of the fans that were in the U2.com member line actually purchased their tickets from scalpers and brokers that managed to completely hijack the first presale. In essence, in my opinion, most U2.com members were not at all given the treatment that was supposed to be given to them.

A bit later, U2 staff made another announcment saying (I paraphrase) "Welcome to opening night of U2 Vertigo tour 2005, we are very excited to have you here, we can see a lot of you have questions as to what is going on with the lines and we hope to answer these for you now all at once. First of all there are 2 lines that have been seperated, one for U2 presale members and one for general admission tickets. There is no difference between these lines except for that the presale is shorter that it will move faster. What we are going to do is once you are inside the building, you will recieve your first wristband, and then it will be scanned to see if you are one of the lucky people that will win the chance to get into the elipse. The winning tickets are predetermined from your barcodes so every one has an equal shot at getting into the elipse. You could be first in line or last in line and still get in. If you win, you will proceed to a second table where you will receive your second wirstband that allows you access to the elipse. Also if you win you will be able to designate one other person to enter with you and they will get their wristband as well. If you don't win, you proceed directly to the floor."

Several people had questions, there were something like these:

Q. What if I am a U2.com member and my tickets don't have the right code or I got shut out in the presale and got tickets some where else, so is this right?
A. We know there was a ticket screw up for the presale and we apologize, we have done everything we can to rectify the sitatuion.

Q. What if I am seperated from my group or if people I would want to take into the elipse if I win are futher back in line, what do I do?
A. In an ideal situation, you will wait for them and when they get through the door you will go in, but we don't really know because this is our first time with this policy.

Q. Why wasn't this policy made known prior to today?
A. We didn't want to release any info that would incorrect if we need to change our minds or make adjustments to the policy. Again, this is the first time for us, and it is a work in progress.

Surprisingly, most took the news well (the rumors must have circulated enough over night and early in the morning) and most stayed all day. The mood was festive and enjoyable. Aside from a brief rain storm, most of the day was sunny, with a nice ocean breeze. We stayed because we figured that our odds were not great of getting in the elipse but wanted to be able to get a good spot outside of the elipse, preferably on a rail.

About 4PM local security had us pack up our chairs, blankets, etc. and started to compact the line. After an hour or so, they walked through the line again to verify that everyone that was in either the U2.com line or GA line was in the right place. 2 and a half freezing hours later, they finally opened the doors...6:35 pm. My wife and I were about 125 people back in the GA line, and it tooks us about 30 minutes to get into the doors. Security was slow and of course my brother who was in the U2.com line got in in a quarter of that time. As you walked in the door, they scan your ticket for admisison, give you a wristband, mark your ticket, and then scan it at a laptop on a table. It says one of two things, either puts up a blue screen that says "proceed to floor" or a U2 Vertigo logo that signifies you won admission to the elipse. You are then either hustled to the right (main floor) or to the left to the second table where they stamp your ticket and give you your second band. My brother in the u2.com line said every other person it seemed was getting admission, but in my line it was about 25 people between winners. My wife and I, both propaganda members, both U2.com members, both presale ticket holders, both 317 and 318 in line...didn't win. By the time we made it to the floor, there was already 5-6 people deep on the railing outside the elipse. There were probably 29 people in the elipse. I talked to my brother through the first act via text and he said the elipse was 25% full for Kings of Leon. He told me that most inside the elipse had a very vague idea of how they actually got there and had waited very little time. There were many that didn't know they could bring in others or didn't get the chance because security wouldn't let them wait.

After the lights came up again, the floor was jammed (fuller than any Elevation show I remember) and people who had no idea what was going on were walking up to the entrance saying "what's the elipse, does this wristband get me somewhere?" Most were very casual U2 fans at best, many VIPs, Guests, etc.

My brother called me about 10 minutes before U2 came on, and said they were counting in the elipse and it still was less than half full. When the lights went down, my wife and I had been standing near the entrance in hopes they would add more people. A complete shoving and pushing match (on Adam's side) ensued and we were completely shoved out of the way even though we were first in line to enter in case they added more. Through this process security brutally grabbed wife, put a wristband on her and pushed her (almost off her feet) down the corridor to the elipse. She was screaming at them that she didn't want to go without her husband (as I was being pulled back...as I wasn't blond and my breasts weren't big enough) but they said "get out of here...go..go.." and pushed her again. I made eye contact with a security guard and pointed to my ring and appealed with my eyes..and he was gracious enough to pull me out and let me through. I ran after my wife, who was walking towards the other side to get out. At this point we were so disgusted and our buzz was so gone...and almost completely missed the opening song. We walked into the elipse after I caught up with her and just hugged. We had gone from every emotion extreme to the other in about 3 minutes. We were so out of it after everything that occured after the last four hours (freezing, stress about the line, seperated from the other 10 or so we were loosly attending with, seperated from brother and his wife, disappointment with not winning, not being able to get close to the rail to see, fighting to stay together, yelling at security, being shoved and pushed) that it took us 3 songs to calm down and relax.

That being said, the elipse is incredible. It was full of very casual fans. I stood beside two guys in their 60's that stood there with their hands in the pockets checking their watch every ten minutes. I had to dodge Bill Walton's arms as he was crazy dancing, but I could have easily done pushups in the elipse. At points there was no one within 2 arm lengths of me. I am sure the balance was off because of lots of VIPs, first show, etc. but it was almost too weird being so uncrowded. You need that slight crowd to enjoy the show on a floor. I was jumping up and down, but there was no one within 6 of me, and it feels strange doing that. There was a couple of rows of hard cores at the front, but overall I can't imagine that U2 will be satisfied with the makeup of the elipse if it is like it was last night. About 25% to 50% seemed like they knew the words and songs that were much older. The energy level was extreme behind the elipse, as all of the hard cores were there. I saw many (I think the second in line over night) on the rail outside the elipse.

Fair? Possibly...good for the vibe of the show? No. I am personally in the process of trying to find trades for ALL OF MY GA's as I would rather have a seat than risk it. In our opinion, it is going to cause more to line up even earlier as they will want to guarantee a spot on a rail or close to it outside the elipse in case they don't win. If you aren't within the first 125 or so, there is no point in getting to the venue before 6 PM. If I had known this policy, I wouldn't have bought GA's.

As for the set, it was amazing. They of course, needed tweaking and Bono flubbed The Fly...but it was incredible. They played deep cuts that most have never seen live. Bono sounded the best I have ever heard him live, Larry was the star of the show.

The production was beautiful, but after all the rumors a bit disappointing. I thought there would be more. Of course, it is still an amazing production, I think I just let my hopes get too high...but that is my fault from reading every rumor on here.

No Audio Spotlight.

I will let others discuss at length the rest of the setlist and stuff like that. My over all impression is that there will be another setlist that they vary between. It will be incredible. Our only complaint is that the whole ticket situation distracted us so much that we weren't able to enjoy the show to its fullest extent (hence the want for seats). I never lost myself or felt completely drawn in.

I loved every song they played, felt a bit choppy...but its opening night. The show feels more intimate than Elevation even, and Bono has regained his playfullness even though there wasn't as much fan interaction as on past shows. This will come I am sure as they get more comfortable within their show persona and environment. Bono almost killed a girl by reaching out to her behind the stage. She slipped and came very close from tumbling head first to the floor (probably 15-20 feet). A rare moment to see Bono become completely human and be physically shaken by the event. It appeared that he would have tried to catch her and his adrelline was pumping. He mouthed "WOW" as he turned back and walked to stage center. I am sure he won't be reaching for fans back there again.

Summary:

Setlist: A+ Running to Stand Still is worth price of Admission
Prodution: B This will improve as the show progresses
Sound: D Unbelievably loud (even with my ear plugs) but this is probably the Sports Arena and not U2 (although I think they will be playing overall louder this tour)
Security: C Good outside before show, poor inside
Lottery: D Great if you win, sucks if you don't. The only upside is not having to necessarily wait all day. The odds are, however, not great.
Venue: C Old, small, sounds bad...intimate though.
Performance: A Empassioned, truthful, honest...but still a bit raw. Which is a good thing. They are in fine form, and in a month this show is going to be unstoppable. Look out Chicago.

I talked at length in the elipse with Paul McGuinness and told him that the setlist was unbelievable. I didn't mention the lottery, because I am a chicken and you wouldn't have either to this man:wink: He seemed pleased and was very informal and talked to a lot of fans.

Sorry for puncuation, spelling..this is a stream of thought on a bad keyboard. My apologies. PM for any help!

Last edited:
Judah said:
Diamond, when you say Adam and Edge switched sides on 40, do you mean Adam went on guitar and Edge on bass (i think that's what you meant)...just like they used to?

Also, was Electric Co. as expansive and cosmic as it was on UABRS?

Did Bono play the mini-drums and sing at the same time (impressive if he did)?

How as ABOY? Did Bono play guitars on that (or just the tambourine)?

Great reviews everyone. Electric Co. and Zoo Station on the same setlist is happy news.

Answering from diamond and I(Eliv8) - He's still knackered. We are not sure if they change instruments - or just positions we dont know enough about guitars.

Ans2 - Yes

All Because Of You was a crowd mover, everyone loved it.

And Bono's voice was ok. I think hard core fans are a little to stringent in their critiques sometimes:sexywink:

Eliv8

Re: Opening night review

gregvernon said:

Oh, how wrong I was.

Outstanding review.

Back
Top Bottom