MERGED--> Kings of Leon Verdicts + How about someone give a review of Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to the Seattle shows expecting the worst and actually thought that KoL weren't that bad.. Of course my expectations were that my ears were gonna bleed as soon as they started playing.

Lone Justice was cool in '87. I wasn't a big RAtM fan; but they weren't bad either in '97. The worst that I have seen open for U2 was probably PJ Harvey.

I stood in the outer hallway at the UC in Chicago, while
Kings Of Crap were playing.
It sounded like one big mess with no understanding of the lyrics as well ... Couldn't believe they were the opening act ... :madspit:

i think they are pretty good. i bought their cd and its pretty surprising. its different.
some stuff can get boring and repetitive.

example---audioslaves first cd where every song starts off with like the same drum beat. (i like audioslave so dont beat me with a sack of hammers yet)

with kings of leon they sound fresh and promising(i think this is only their second cd) oh well everyone has their opinon and i could definitely see why others would not like them.

Yeah, KoL were pretty bad IMO. Granted I never heard one of their songs before they took the stage and had low expectations. The singer mumbled every song, which sounded just the same as the one before and the only lyric that was reasonably clear to me was “bathroom”. I think that what it was.

I'm so embarrassed that so many U2 fans don't "get" Kings of Leon. They have one of the most original sounds to come through the rock n' roll world in a long, long time. No wonder Bono asked them to open.

The lead singer tonight had his voice go out on him during the last third of their 45 minute set.

Not a good sign.

Maybe tomorrow he won't be able to sing. :wink:

beli said:

What was so bad with PJ Harvey, if you dont mind me asking? Ive never seen her live nor own any of her albums but she has a good reputation.

I thought she was excellent when I saw her support U2 in 2001. I enjoyed her set 10 times more than No Doubt later that tour.

Supposedly KOL are really popular in the U.K. guess they thought they would get a similar reaction in the U.S. :confused:

I like their song "the Bucket," even though I didn't know who performed the song until later.

Last edited:
well it has to be said that european musical tastes seem far more adventurous and open-minded than those in america. even for american acts!
kings of leons last album is brilliant, and i've seen them live and that too was brilliant.
pj harvey is one of the best performers of the last ten years.
i get the impression that nobody here listens to anything other than u2?????
just remembered a thread i saw a few weeks back, a guy comparing the merits of u2 and THE EAGLES. christ sake

Originally posted by beli

What was so bad with PJ Harvey, if you dont mind me asking?

She was one of the worst opening acts for U2 in 2001 ... She screamed so-ooo loud when she sang, that you couldn't decipher
what was actual lyrics to what was actual ad lib .. People actually yelled at her to get off the stage and also she received lots of booing from the audience as well ... Her band's music was that of sandpaper ... the overall sound quality was indeed distorted
so-ooo badly that it hurt your ears !!

popmart86 said:
IF YOU DONT APPREICTATE BB KING'S MUSIC THEN YOU DONT APRRECIATE MUSIC!!!!!!!:mad: :rant:

The only people who mentioned BB King in this thread were Mr Brau and myself who both indicated BB was indeed uber fantastical as per the drool :drool: smilie. Im not understanding your angry tone :slant:

I liked KOL - I thought they were decent. I love "Molly's Chamber". There wasn't much excitement to them - and I didn't feel much love from the crowd but I enjoyed their jams.

LyricalDrug said:
I'm so embarrassed that so many U2 fans don't "get" Kings of Leon. They have one of the most original sounds to come through the rock n' roll world in a long, long time. No wonder Bono asked them to open.

I cant agree more. They are fresh and origional. With all the messy crap that is making the cut these days it is refreshing for me to hear a sound like Kings.
It seems as if most of their negative reviews are from people that know nothing about them. In these people's defense maybe not knowing what to expect and then experiencing Kings may be difficult but for gods sake open your minds.
I think it is great that u2 or the record label gave them the shot. I hate hearing people booing them. I seem to remember stories of a young u2 getting cigarettes flicked at them while on stage. They turned out pretty good:scratch:

It amazes me that people who like U2, a band that started out as this strange, loud, post-punk band, have no patience for interesting new acts. PJ Harvey's _Stories from the Sea_ or whatever is masterpiece (although her most recent album isn't that hot), and KOL were a great opener in my opinion. I might not buy the album, but there's nothing like hearing something new and interesting live. U2 has _rock and roll_ bands open for them. The funny thing about PJ Harvey was that she got a better reception in Indianapolis than she did in Chicago during Elevation. I would've thought that Chicago fans would've been _more_ open minded than Indy fans. Or respectful, at least.

So many crazy people. PJ Harvey is pretty amazing, but I needed to listen to an album before I really enjoyed her. I hadn't heard it the first time I saw her and I didn't enjoy her too much, however once I knew the songs....she blew me away! Fantastic artist.

....and how could anybody not like the Pixies, they paved the way for most of the 90's rock.

JohnCash said:
PJ Harvey's _Stories from the Sea_ or whatever is masterpiece ......

there's nothing like hearing something new and interesting live.

Agreed x 2

And as I said in the last thread about the support acts, imo, BB King was the worst. Having to be there for it once was bad, but 3 times.........was painful.

I actually saw Kings of Leon open for the Strokes here in New York a couple of years ago. They didn't exactly set my world on fire but sheesh they weren't THAT bad.

Of all the openers I've seen for U2, PJ Harvey was by far the best.

I had seen the Pixies twice before ZOO TV and they were much livlier on their own tour. They acted like they really did not want to be there.

Fun Lovin' Criminals had all kinds of technical problems (as did U2 at this Popmart show).

Stereophonics were just kind of dull.

I really enjoyed the new Kings album, and started looking into the music of other bands opening for u2 on this tour. Really liking what I've been hearing, it's good to see that decent rock music still thrives, even if the radio doesn't seem to know it.

Still waiting to here who is opening in Toronto in the fall. I'd love to see the Arcade Fire, since their from just up the river in Montreal...
~A.j.~

KOL are straight up rock and roll with no gimmicks. That's what's awesome about them. I think they'll only get better as time goes on. Maybe not the best opener for U2, but then again when has U2 had a band open up for them that was trying to sound like U2? KOL is perfect because it's loud and in your face because most of the people at a U2 show are so close minded about other music. KOL is not only music that is different, it's music that will make your ears bleed in the process. :rockon: KOL is also a big band on the underground/club scene. They sold out a show in S.F. easily.

I can't wait for The Killers in Cardiff!!

I own the 1st KOL CD, so I "like" them. I didn't think they were that great when I saw them in SD. When I did see them upclose at PHX1, I thought they were MUCH better. They are just one of those bands that isn't translating to a big crowd as an opener. I bet they would be great in a House Of Blues size room, and with their own crowd.

PJ Harvey is fantastic live, but her sound didn't quite work in a massive arena, it ended up sounding quite harsh when I saw her.

PJ Harvey was brilliant in 2001...

though an arena isn't the best avenue for her music. "Stories From the City..." won the Mercury Prize (prestigous UK award) as the year's best album in 2001, and rightfully so I might add.

MsMofoGone's assessment of both PJ and Kings of Leon in similiar harsh terms to me is a postive endorsement of KoL!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom