MERGED--> Kings of Leon Verdicts + How about someone give a review of Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh dear so they arnt exactly popular in the US then...

I like what Ive heard from them, but Ive never seen them live so I dont know.

well they arent popular in America yet cause people havent caught on yet! i mean theyre big in the UK cause they realized how good they are, but i think Americans are starting to catch on how GOOD they are, i mean i dont know why u guys have to be so hostile towards them! obviouisly U2 saw how good they are!

why be a hater?

pub crawler said:
I liked them. :happy:

likewise

what's so bad about a blazing guitar band?

the first 3-4 songs were a bit 2 dimensional

then they had a bit more range and
like I said they go at it with abandon

They might be alright if it was me and a bunch of guys just killing a night out. My wife ended up begging a pair of earplugs off of one of the security guys on the outer ellipse.

Kings of Leon are absolutely amazing. And also - stop criticising their image.. surely it's their music you should be caring about? I know everyone is welcome to their own opinions, but you shouldn't be so rude about them.
I agree with csolis - u2 obviously saw their potential! KOL are one of the best live bands around at the moment.

Edge's guitar sounds richer than most bands with three guitar members playing at the same time. Come on, should you have really gone there?

This is my first post in longer then I can remember, but I felt compelled. I think Bono would most certainly agree that credit should be given to whom it is due, so... To ultraviolet353, you have as part of your posts a quote which you attribute to Bono. Specifically ... "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching." This is actually a quote by Randall G. Leighton.

With the best of intentions,

Oscar Brown

Well, I must say I'm very disappointed to hear so many people bashing Kings Of Leon.

Sure, Caleb (singer) has a different voice and maybe you didn't understand the lyrics, but they're an amazing Rock n Roll band, and like The Paradise pointed out: their soundcheck would not have been extensive and even then they are not going to sound as good as U2, that's just the way it is.

Plus, the average age in the band is like 20! How many of you, at the age of 20, would have the b*lls to play in front of that many people, least of all as the opening act for a band like U2?

If you've yet to attend or are going back to see U2 in the first leg, I urge you to listen to the MUSIC---not their pants and haircuts---and if you still don't like it, then just accept that you don't like ROCK N ROLL.

Last edited:
britchick said:
I think it is hugely unfair for some U2 fans to give the Kings of Leon such a negative response, especially if people have been calling things out to them while they are on stage. they are a relatively new band, and with the exception of the drummer, theyve only been playing their instruments for 3-4 years, and U2 have been around forever, so obviously their sound and playing experience will not match U2.

Please give them a chance, they are really great boys, and if you dont like their music, please remember that some people in America like them so much they are buying U2 tickets (at U2 ticket prices) just to get to see them because they spend most of their time playing the UK and Europe.

I have to agree with this britchick. Even Bono said in the RRHOF induction, with the way things are now in the music business, U2 would not even be here.
If the fans aren't even willing to give a new act a chance why should the industry even consider changing their "one hit" policy.
We will just continue with the flava of the moment, then bitch about not having anything "new" worth watching/hearing.
Rock & Roll will eventually die out altogether. It's almost there already. OK, end of :rant:

Oh, just thought I'd add that I believe Adam is the one who suggested/pushed for Kings Of Leon as an opening act.

I read an interview in a magazine a little while back (I can't recall which one it was at the moment...) and Adam named Kings Of Leon when asked what young band(s) he was listening to.

Bono named The Killers and Edge named Franz Ferdinand. Sorry Larry, I can't recall what band you named... :wink:

In any case, people need to cut them some slack. They're opening for U2! I mean, of course they're gonna be nervous and probably won't perform as well as they would if you saw them at a smaller venue.

And opening acts in general should be shown a bit more respect. I'm a musician and I know I wouldn't appreciate hearing "You suck!" or "Get off the stage!" just because some idiots don't have enough patience to wait for the main act. Sure, you're there to see the headliners, but the opening act is there to play their set as well.

Anyway, that's my opinion... :shrug:

Last edited:
Have to say I’m a bit embarrassed by the venom being spat around here at the Kings of Leon. They’re a really great band who have a distinct sound and, more importantly, good tunes.

I would have thought U2 fans would have had more of an open mind to listen and if you didn’t like them, just say, “They didn’t do anything for me.” And be on your way.

But to hear that people are actually shouting out things while these guys are trying to do their job, to play their set, that’s astounding.

Kings of Leon may not go down in the halls of rock and roll history as one of the great, great bands, but they’re a lot better than a good portion of the crap out there right now. They’re interesting, they’ve got a great back story, and, like I said, they’ve got great tunes.

Also, check out the band ECHO next time they play in New York, they’re a great local band as well. Kick ass lead singer. Great tunes.

Also, having seen Interpol and The Killers live (both bands I love) I have to say, they sound better on the CDs. Interpol sounded exactly like the CD but zero stage presence and The Killers sounded tight as a band, but the lead singer was off key for about 99% of the show...great CDs though

Rafiennes said:
Have to say I’m a bit embarrassed by the venom being spat around here at the Kings of Leon. They’re a really great band who have a distinct sound and, more importantly, good tunes.

I would have thought U2 fans would have had more of an open mind to listen and if you didn’t like them, just say, “They didn’t do anything for me.” And be on your way.

But to hear that people are actually shouting out things while these guys are trying to do their job, to play their set, that’s astounding.

Kings of Leon may not go down in the halls of rock and roll history as one of the great, great bands, but they’re a lot better than a good portion of the crap out there right now. They’re interesting, they’ve got a great back story, and, like I said, they’ve got great tunes.

Also, check out the band ECHO next time they play in New York, they’re a great local band as well. Kick ass lead singer. Great tunes.

I thought they sucked beyond belief but I agree it is disrespectful and rude to heckle them. They are just doing their job the best they can and there are always a few people who might be there to see KoL as much as U2.

first, ,let me say that no one should heckle while they are playing, but this forum is a good place to let it all out.
i saw them opening night and they were as bad as it gets. i saw them again the first night in anaheim. they actually sang two songs that didn't sound too bad. the difference was the two songs had three of them singing together and they harmonized pretty good. both songs also had a melody you might remember. when the lead singer sings by himself he sounds like someone is choking a chicken. they seem to be able to play fast, so maybe they are pretty good musicians. the problem is 5 minutes later how many tunes of theirs could any of you remember? personally, i don't care if u2 sees something great in them or not, because if they were the main act i wouldn't waste a penny to see them.

I found them horrible. Like someone's kids playing in the garage. Every "song" sounded the same, and all they do is strum up and down on guitar strings, as loud as possible. The lead "singer" has a horrible voice, their hairdos are silly, and I can't believe U2 has them as an "opening act." I would never go into the arena until they are over unless I had to be there because I had a pit tkt. No wonder no one went inside until they were over. It was like an empty arena except for those who were holding their spots at the circle.

I really didn't like them as the opening band. I hate to say that since I thought we were spoiled by last tour openers. Having said that I would NEVER heckle or disrespect a band on stage. Hey at least they got the balls to do what they are doing right? Having said that I just hope the 3rd leg opener is much better and something to look foward to.

The only problem with Kings of Leon is that all there music is very similar, and it all sounds the same. And there lyrics are dirty, and not very uplifting. I did buy there album after I saw them in San Diego, and there album is much better then hearing them live. They do have a pretty cool sound, and the lead singers voice is pretty cool. I like "Milk", and "The Buckets". And I like watching the bassist play live, and the lead guitarist.

I found them as a odd choice. Not particularly well known for the US leg, and yes their music overal really sounds all the same. There is some good energy at times with "The Bucket" or "Molly's Chambers", other times its lackluster.

But maybe U2 picked them do to their popularity in Europe which they are very well liked, especially with the escapades with super models and such that circle in the press...

Then for LA1 they thought (KOL) the sound mix "sucked" and seemed to dash off without even a "good night"!! They made that as an issue during the LA2 show. But both shows (and the other shows since start of the tour) to me for the sound mix towards the audience sounded the same, no better no worse. But maybe it was what he was hearing from the ear pieces from
the soundboard?

As far as the heckling, including quiet times between the songs, I didn't hear much heckling/booing except for the typical drunk hooligan yelling "we want U2 or we want Bono..."

But yes the venues are pretty bare during their set except for those seeking good spots in the inner/outer ellipse!!

So I would give them a not bad review/but not great either...

:huh:

I saw them at the opening night in SD and i didn't like them and I'm glad i got to the Pond (my second show in this tour) late, just 10 minutes before Bono's EVERYONE part.............i think the best song in the opening act is WAKE UP from Arcade Fire

Last edited:
unfortunately, i think most of the reasons why KOL are getting so much venom is because the US crowd are jealous that europe has the bands they want to see........i'm in the UK and i have snow patrol for support..............but they are not my first choice, but i'm going to see U2 and i won't slag of the support!!

btw...........i love KOL and i think one day they will be appreciated (even by people in the US!!)..... but not by everyone because we can't all like the same thing :)

Roll on Manchester :)

I thought the songs had a lot of potential and there were some good moments, but it was hard to make anything out. The singers mike was WAY too hot - please, for the love of GOD, someone turn down the treble! My ears were bleeding after the 2nd song. Ok, not really, but it sure felt like it. His voice was really annoying and I have a feeling it was more the mix than his voice. I might have to check their studio stuff out though.

Diemen said:
The singers mike was WAY too hot - please, for the love of GOD, someone turn down the treble! My ears were bleeding after the 2nd song. Ok, not really, but it sure felt like it.

Same here!!
bigcry.gif

I know a great group of 80 year old polka players that would get the crowd super excited for U2, as opposed to KOL-YUK-YUK-
How can we make sure we get a good opening band for the third leg? Arcade Fire or The Killers!

The Killers are on Leno this week, Farrah Fawcett with them on Thurs., so we can all check them out and see if we want to see them in Nov. Maybe U2 should let us all help choose, since we're out there when we get GA's holding onto the rail and we have to listen to whoever they put on.

and is there a thread for suggestions for opening acts? I'd rather see more than one, several, because so many of us try to go to more than one U2 show, it would be nice to see other groups. I would like to see Kelly Clarkson open, because she is awesome live, and she can rock, and her voice gives me goosebumps, live it's amazing. She does her own headlining shows, but someone like her just might be interested because there would be a whole new audience that she would impress, and I guarantee you people would be impressed with her music and her performing, and especially her voice. For me she's the 21st Century Linda Ronstadt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom