MERGED--> Kings of Leon Verdicts + How about someone give a review of Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I smell C-O-N-Spiracy. Does Paul McGuiness manage KoL or something? How does KoL get to open up for U2 when so many great bands are opening up for them in Europe and on the 3rd leg? I gave them a chance too. I listened to one of their albums on Rhapsody before the concert. I thought the album sucked but the live show took the suck to a whole new level. I don't get it.

I saw them on Jay Leno last night and they were pretty bad. I couldn't understand a single word the lead singer said and the music was unimpressive.

I saw them on Conan the other night and I've listened to their latest cd.........no, they don't jump around the stage much, but to me, the music sounds pretty cool. I really don't get what all the bitching is about. No matter who the opener is, you're there to see U2 anyway.

medmo said:
I saw them on Conan the other night and I've listened to their latest cd.........no, they don't jump around the stage much, but to me, the music sounds pretty cool. I really don't get what all the bitching is about. No matter who the opener is, you're there to see U2 anyway.

Believe me, they sounded awful in concert. I would've been more entertained if they had taken static and played it at deafening sound levels than that trash.

tenacious_b said:

Believe me, they sounded awful in concert. I would've been more entertained if they had taken static and played it at deafening sound levels than that trash.

OK, so it's not your cup of tea. It's probably not going to be a lot of people's cup of tea. My point was bascially that you didn't buy your tickets to see an opening act.

I personally can't F'ing stand No Doubt, but I stood and gave them their due on the Elevation tour because I knew I wasn't there to see them; it didn't really bother me.

I'm not a KOL fan by any means, but I saw them, basically by accident, like 2 years ago before most people had heard of them. I was impressed. Maybe they suck now, I don't know. Of course, at the time I wasn't wishing that they'd hurry up and get the hell off the stage so U2 could come on. It just sucks that a lot of people will now go in with these pre-conceived notions about them being shitty, thanks in part to message boards and the like.

But no matter how you slice it, U2 ain't coming on until 9.

medmo said:

OK, so it's not your cup of tea. It's probably not going to be a lot of people's cup of tea. My point was bascially that you didn't buy your tickets to see an opening act.

I personally can't F'ing stand No Doubt, but I stood and gave them their due on the Elevation tour because I knew I wasn't there to see them; it didn't really bother me.

I'm not a KOL fan by any means, but I saw them, basically by accident, like 2 years ago before most people had heard of them. I was impressed. Maybe they suck now, I don't know. Of course, at the time I wasn't wishing that they'd hurry up and get the hell off the stage so U2 could come on. It just sucks that a lot of people will now go in with these pre-conceived notions about them being shitty, thanks in part to message boards and the like.

But no matter how you slice it, U2 ain't coming on until 9.

I'm sure people can understand that opinions are like arseholes. I thought KoL sucked. Just stating an opinion. I've disagreed with plenty of comments people have made about Bono's voice and the band's performance, etc....

ultraviolet353 said:
Their new album is mediocre at best--good single, but that's about it--should have had Arcade Fire, Interpol, or The Killers

I agree. I'm not that into Snow Patrol. I think they're album is kind of dull. I'll take Kean, Interpol or the Killer and day.

kings of leon are a class act with some great catchy tunes they are big business here in UK and regually sell out 8,000 areans.

I would hate to open for U2. It would seem to be a great opportunity, but I think it would be horrid. So many U2 fans seem to be only into U2 that it's kind of pointless to try to win them over, and even most of the rest of the crowd is really just waiting their time until the main act gets on.

It has to be a pretty thankless task.

The opening band has little to zero control over the sound board. I play in a band and have opened up for major acts. It is standard practice for the engineers to give the opening band, a, not so good sound to say the least. I'm sure somebody will dispute this fact but when is the last time you saw ANY opening act not sound muddy? If its Aerosmith/Kiss thats different because they are both major acts and are co-headlining. I'm not a fan of Kings of Leon, I've never heard their music. But if you saw them in a smaller club with their own sound guy I bet they'd sound great.

I'll shut up now.
God Bless Bono

The Paradise said:
The opening band has little to zero control over the sound board. I play in a band and have opened up for major acts. It is standard practice for the engineers to give the opening band, a, not so good sound to say the least.

Interesting, that would explain a lot about opening bands sucking. I've definitely heard opening acts sound good from time to time, but it is pretty much the standard for them to suck. Usually it's the club shows with younger bands that usually have good sounding opening acts (like Marc Broussard for Gavin DeGraw, Har Mar Superstar for Ben Lee, Death from Above 1979 for Panthers, JJ72 for Stereophonics). My question is, what is the advantage to the headliner for making the opening band sound awesome? I mean I see the argument for it, but I also see a lot of arguments against it. Just curious...

I wasn't in San Diego I'm in the UK but i have loved U2 for 20yrs, I also like "new" music and personally love KOL i have seen them live and will be seeing them twice this summer, I think it's a shame that a lot of fans don't give "unknowns" a chance, if you go there thinking your going to hate them you probably will!!

I have snow patrol as my support which i'm not to keen on but I'm not going to slag them off 'cos i've never seen them live!!

Personally in my opion I think they ROCK!!! so get your overcoat Caleb your staying for the weekend!!! (The King Of The Rodeo)

mellyinsf said:
I hope they kick them off the US leg and put the killers in intead. Who picked this band anyway?

bono picked them, proving he's still open to new music and new bands. unlike some people. and in the KOL's defense, the San Diego Sport Arena's sound sucks.

the kings of leon are not used to the lack of reception from U.S. crowds making them very uneasy in front of us. in the UK they're rock gods and here their music is approached with preconceived notions due to the u.s. media not being able to get over their "southern" background. this band is going places, just you wait and see.

I think it is hugely unfair for some U2 fans to give the Kings of Leon such a negative response, especially if people have been calling things out to them while they are on stage. they are a relatively new band, and with the exception of the drummer, theyve only been playing their instruments for 3-4 years, and U2 have been around forever, so obviously their sound and playing experience will not match U2.

Please give them a chance, they are really great boys, and if you dont like their music, please remember that some people in America like them so much they are buying U2 tickets (at U2 ticket prices) just to get to see them because they spend most of their time playing the UK and Europe.

OffAxis said:

Interesting, that would explain a lot about opening bands sucking. I've definitely heard opening acts sound good from time to time, but it is pretty much the standard for them to suck. Usually it's the club shows with younger bands that usually have good sounding opening acts (like Marc Broussard for Gavin DeGraw, Har Mar Superstar for Ben Lee, Death from Above 1979 for Panthers, JJ72 for Stereophonics). My question is, what is the advantage to the headliner for making the opening band sound awesome? I mean I see the argument for it, but I also see a lot of arguments against it. Just curious...

Well basically the headliner does not want to get blown away by the opening act. I'm not saying that U2 could ever get blown away by any opening act (except possibly the Beatles lol) but the name of the game is to win over fans who are not hardcore fans, and for them to run out and buy a few discs the next day. U2 would rather have those fans buy their discs as opposed to Kings of Leon. It happens on every tour with every opening band. Thats life as a struggling musician!

The Paradise said:

Well basically the headliner does not want to get blown away by the opening act. I'm not saying that U2 could ever get blown away by any opening act (except possibly the Beatles lol) but the name of the game is to win over fans who are not hardcore fans, and for them to run out and buy a few discs the next day. U2 would rather have those fans buy their discs as opposed to Kings of Leon. It happens on every tour with every opening band. Thats life as a struggling musician!

I would be very suprised if U2 had a support band they didn't like just to make them look better and sell more cd's they truly like this Band along with all the other's they have supporting them, it's a real shame people are so keen to knock a Band they don't know, hopefully KOL will rise above all this crap and U2 will be proud of who's career's they helped along the way!!

Remember U2 were a support act when they started out, i'm sure they did not appeal to everyone either!! Let's just enjoy the music!!

achtung- mama said:

I would be very suprised if U2 had a support band they didn't like just to make them look better and sell more cd's they truly like this Band along with all the other's they have supporting them, it's a real shame people are so keen to knock a Band they don't know, hopefully KOL will rise above all this crap and U2 will be proud of who's career's they helped along the way!!

Remember U2 were a support act when they started out, i'm sure they did not appeal to everyone either!! Let's just enjoy the music!!

Its not about whether or not U2 likes the band, its just the way it is. The opening band has limited control over the soundboard and effects. Its just the way it is. When the headliner has a soundcheck, the levels are set. Some opening bands dont even to get to do a sound check.

Fair point about the sound check, but KOL have quite a raw sound anyway.....but apart from that i do wish they were supporting here in the UK, i will see them the day after i see U2 :)

I'll need a few day's off work i think :laugh:

i think u guys should give KOL a chance ( btw KOL means Kings of Leon, just making sure that everyone knows) especially those of u who are going to see U2 about 20 times! i mean i dont think its fair to write them of and talk crap about them when u only saw them only once for a very short time. KOL is magnificent and theyre very talented, it is sad that their music has not caught on here in America but the press sure has and everyone agrees that they are a talented group! i really recomend that u listen to their album and if u dont like it then say its not for u but dont insult them like the wy u guys have please!

tenacious_b said:
I smell C-O-N-Spiracy. Does Paul McGuiness manage KoL or something? How does KoL get to open up for U2 when so many great bands are opening up for them in Europe and on the 3rd leg? I gave them a chance too. I listened to one of their albums on Rhapsody before the concert. I thought the album sucked but the live show took the suck to a whole new level. I don't get it.

I downloaded both albums the day I bought my first ticket back a few months ago. "Molly's Chambers" was the only song that didn't sound like muffled garbage.

As for the good bands opening on the third leg, most of those artists couldn't open up other shows because they already have other touring commitments.

KOL are a total buzz kill-I have liked all opening acts for U2, PJ Harvey, Garbage, Rage Against the Machine, No Doubt,etc.....KOL stink and should be kicked off the tour immediately. They were one albeit minor factor in giving up my GA's. KOL are yuk.:drool:

I found them unforgettable at best. Saw them twice and I really dont remember much about them already. Just werent my cup of tea I guess.

I think more people sang along with The Killers or Modest Mouse when they were played through the PA before the show.

Chris

man, when I see u2, i usually have great openers...pixies, rage, etc...
my review of KOL is this:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Seriously guys. C'mon. The lead singer's voice sounded like a can opener. All their songs sounded the same. Everyone I was standing with was ready for them to be done after the second song.

Back
Top Bottom