May 9, United Center in Chicago - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:48 PM
May 9, United Center in Chicago

Please post your reviews of the May 9th show here.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:48 AM
May 9

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHAT A SHOW!!!!!

HOLLA.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Great show!!!! They sounded FANTASTIC - the opening COBL was spectacular - they sounded excellent and Bob was full of energy and really belted it out. Tons of confetti fell from the ceiling. I was on the outside (middle) of the Ellipse - great view. Bono, Larry, and Adam played right in front of me a few times - I was only a few ft away from them It was cool to hear Electric Co but I was disappointed to not hear Gloria. Oh well you can't have it all.
My sister fainted (very hot in there) during the first encore. Not one fan helped me - nice. Other than that it was a great show. If I were to be real picky I'd say "Pride" has lost some of it's sparkle live but it still sounded great.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Bob?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #5
The Fly

Hi Heather! IDOB was down, but I knew I'd find you here! Glad to hear you had a great time, sorry to hear about your sister. Glad you made it into the ellipse.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 05:48 AM
This is the 'official' May 9 thread, I do believe!
Much more from me coming later this morning.
Live on wireless from the cafe at the Cass Hotel, which has become an Interference family gathering hub for this week of wild U2opian wonder . . .
Anu
Old 05-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
Bob?
LOL maybe I was thinking of Bono's dad
Hey I only got a few hrs sleep lol.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenn121
Hi Heather! IDOB was down, but I knew I'd find you here! Glad to hear you had a great time, sorry to hear about your sister. Glad you made it into the ellipse.
Hey how's it going?
Yeah it was a lot of fun except for my sister passing out. I would love to go again. If I had GA again I'd have to be up against the rail somewhere so I could get air. It got extremely sweaty in there! I didn't bring my camera b/c I didn't feel like dealing with it - could've taken excellent close up photos of Larry, Bono, and Adam. Man, Bono and Larry look really small and skinny in person. Looked great though - Adam too - he was all smiley. I hope they find the show worthy for DVD.
I'm listening to the Chicago radio stations trying to win tickets for tonight or Thursday
Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
War Child

Sorry to hear about your sister too.I was feeling very woozy myself!

Congrats on being in the eclipse.I was 64 and my daughter was 65,so we were second line from the rail,about middle of the stage,so it was a great view!I agree as many times as I have seen Bono on tv ect...he is very small,and so is Larry,but loves them both

For me the concert was simply a wonderful and spiritual time,one that I will never forget.It was the first U2 concert for me and my daughter,so it was a great time for us both.Iam tired and in lala land,so sorry for the short review!

Plus Iam very down,like some peeps have mentioned before,of it being over now.

Rhia
Old 05-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #10
The Fly

I'm about it being over too! I am still listening to the radio hoping someone's giving tickets away!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Acrobat

More energy that 5/7, a great show indeed!!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

A complaint: the crowd was horrendous during "40." Just terrible. I'm sure that we were all fine, but there's absolutely NO chance that that will end up on any DVD or whatever. I was like a madman, trying to get people to keep singing (or start, for that matter), but my psychotic ravings did nothing to help the situation. That was the low point of an otherwise phenomenal night where even the band's fuck-ups weren't of any concern because of the spectacular connection between teh band and the crowd. Still, it ended things on a sour note, for me...especially after the more-than-solid singing after Saturday night's show.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...
A complaint: the crowd was horrendous during "40." Just terrible. I'm sure that we were all fine, but there's absolutely NO chance that that will end up on any DVD or whatever. I was like a madman, trying to get people to keep singing (or start, for that matter), but my psychotic ravings did nothing to help the situation. That was the low point of an otherwise phenomenal night where even the band's fuck-ups weren't of any concern because of the spectacular connection between teh band and the crowd. Still, it ended things on a sour note, for me...especially after the more-than-solid singing after Saturday night's show.
Yes, the singing by the crowd on 40 from 5/7 to 5/9 was like night and day! I think they'll need something more from tonight to put it on a DVD.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
Babyface

Local Time: 01:48 AM
IMO...

It was a great show but not "religious" like my experiences at Fall Chicago Elevation show and my first show in 1985. Admittedly, I was next to the stage for both shows versus excellent seats for this one.

Here are some of my thoughts:
* Elevation Fall 2001 was right after 9/11. We NEEDED U2 and you could feel that in the show (esp during scrolling of victim names)
* I suspect there was a higher energy level in the Elevation heart because you had to wait 12+ hours to "prove" your worthiness to be there. The elipse looked a little subdued...but I was not in there.
* RTSS was an odd dedication to troops. I found the rendition flat compared to the previous tours. I like it acoustic and Bono's overly dramatic "shooting up." It usually gives me chills.
* I really missed Bono running around the heart during WTSHNN. That was so awesome.
* The light curtains were distracting from side seats.
* Personally, I prefer the acoustic Fly version
* Audience was lame on 40 (me included)
* I LOVED hearing An Cat Dubh live!!! A highlight of my U2 experiences.
* I would have liked to have heard Kite, Stuck, Walk On instead of some of the older songs that get played every tour.

Can't wait for my Fall GA experiences. I am sure the set list will be changed by then.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

first U2 concert, best show I've ever seen!!!!