May 7, United Center in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WAKE UP YOU FIRST SHOW PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am dying here. Please let us know ASAP how the show went - all the details!!!!
Also need info on the whole GA experience from beginning to end.
TIA!!!! :hug:

Didn't do GA (I'll let you know how Tuesday night works though, lol). My lasting impression of the show is how good Bono's voice sounded. Loved Bad being in the set list. Sunday Bloody Sunday seemed to have a new life to it. Suprised by Kings of Leon as well. They sounded much better live than either of their studio albums. Still think they could/should find someone bigger better for the third leg.

Bad made me cry ! It felt like being at an Ireland football match (soccer to you americans) at some points with all the crowd chanting.

It was also great to ssee "Everything You Know is Wrong" back up on the screens. I got some good pix of it. The texting thing was magic too. Did anyone see the sheer number of staff manning the lighting rig?

I think I preferred this to the Slane castle gigs from the last tour because the venue was much smaller. However I still dont think its as good as the Zooropa tour gig from Parcaigh Caoibh in Cork. From an A/V perspective the show looks more advanced than the last tour but simpler than Popmart or Zooropa.

They played for about 2 hours 15 minutes with 2 encores.

Kings of Leon sounded much heavier than their albums. They mean much more in Europe than here so no one really knew anything about them.

Last edited:
It was an awsomemazing show! Can't really tell you what my favorite song was because they were all just so good. By now you've read the set list and know they mixed it up, opening with L&POE instead of COBL, still used the flashlights in the dark thing, Very cool! Arrived around 3:00 and stood for a couple hrs in the area that looked like the best shot to meet them, but they never came back out, and it was COLD! Everyone was dressed for the 70* weather but it was 50! Im from Cleveland, and met people from all over the country, in fact hardly anyone I personally talked to was from Chicago! St Louis, California, Miami, NJ and Dallas to name a few. We sure are a great group of people! Cant wait til Cleveland 12/10! Might try to get to Pittsburgh! SEE THIS SHOW NO MATTER WHAT $$$$$$$$.[

There is no question in my mind that Bad will be a DVD highlight from this tour. It is taking on a whole new life that was never obtained during the last tour and I thought Bad from Elevation was pretty good.:drool:

Thank God I was able to get a UF vintage shirt. Bad and Pride from this tour have been amazing!

Last edited:
Overall, I'd give it a B-..... here are the highlights...

Bono's voice was very strong - - as good as he has sounded since zoo tv! He hit most of the notes on BAD, Pride, NYD - - only holding back on a couple of occassions.

No surprises on the setlist after the week off - - - curious why the film crews (assuming filming of the DVD) set up prior to the show behind the sound desk, then were mysteriously gone after a few songs.....I completely missed what happened there.

I was disappointed in Vertigo - - - Bono was singing off beat most of the song...no flow to it.

Aside from that there was also quite a few obvious screw-ups during the first half of the setlist...took them a while to get Miracle Drug cued up - - Bono even commented "YOu can play now, Terry"

Best performance of New Years Day and Pride in many a year - - - They really rocked the house the 2nd half.

Happily, Bad was in the setlist...I'm still not sold on the ending and transition - - - not one of the more creative ones over the years....but nonetheless, played and sung very well.

Adam seemed really into the show toight, swaying and moving about the catwalk more than I've ever see him - - - does Chicago or this date have any meaning to him??? Bono even commented "What has gotten in to this man tonight?" and gave him a hug.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Oh, Forgot about Kings of Leon.....this was the first time I had heard them, live or studio. They have a good sound, but not much charisma on stage.....the lead singer seemed almost disintrested for the first 2/3 of the set. He started to move around a bit and seemed more comfortable the last 3 or 4 tunes.

IMO the show rocked last night! The crowd was on it's feet before the "Everyones". The whole audience stood and danced for the whole 2 hours fifteen minutes.
Bono was in good voice and Adam, was the happy roamer:). Bono and company seemed to play to the rear stage and side stage an awful lot and seeing as I was side stage nosebleeds I loved it. The sound was amazing and you could just feel the bass. Vertigo did seem a little tangled up, don't get me wrong here, it was still good, it was just not all that it could have been. The rest of the show was :up:
No one was brought up on stage although Bono did catch a blue scarf/flag that was tossed to him from the rear stage by some one. He wrapped it around his shoulders for awhile.
My highlights: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, Bad-oh my God, that song was amazing last night:drool:Love and Peace and 40-I got to see 40 performed live, a happy, happy girl here. I think I am still in shock that I finally got to see them perform live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think it's agreed that Bad was the highlight of last night, though I have to admit that New Year's Day was also amazing.

CloserToKnowing said:
Adam seemed really into the show toight, swaying and moving about the catwalk more than I've ever see him - - - does Chicago or this date have any meaning to him??? Bono even commented "What has gotten in to this man tonight?" and gave him a hug.

I know! How often do we see sights such as this, with the whole band on the stage except for Adam?

nyd.jpg

Just got back into Florida...what a show!!

I got to the UC about 10:30. I was number 194 in line. Did not get beeped into the ellipse, but I was four people back from the rail.

First off, the bad stuff. Of which there is very little. I admit to being disappointed that there were no new songs. I had really hoped for UTEOTW. Miracle Drug got off to a rocky start. Edge seemed awfully quiet, not really venturing out onto that catwalk much.

The good stuff...all the rest! :D Bono and Larry were right in front of me during LAPOE. Adam was roaming the catwalk, smiling at fans and very clearly enjoying himself. Bono's voice sounded great! I was extremely impressed with the power he had...he was holding notes far past the point I expected. He hit a sour note in SYCMIOYO, but the "Can you hear me when I...sing?" brought me to tears. Bad sounded amazing, and The Fly was incredible. Bono did a good job remembering lyrics...he got them all right in Zoo Station, and the only one he really botched was An Cat Dubh, and a single line in The Fly.

But the highlight for me was Yahweh. Bono stood directly in front of where I was standing. And during the first verse, we made eye contact. I smiled. He smiled back. And then he read a sign that Miroslava had made (she was standing right in front of me), and he smiled even more. And you had better believe, my night was made. I can die a happy woman now. :heart:

All in all, an absolutely amazing show. I can't wait for this one to come out, so I can hear it and relive it again.

Last edited:
chicago may 7

Here I'm doing Pans and Kudos of the May 7 show:

PANS:
Bono's "Bullet" bandana speech... kind of psychotic... didn't really work, for me.
Vertigo was horrid.
The show stalled after Vertigo, then picked up amazing speed.
Kings of Leon's sound was horrid, as well.
"Vintage" reproduction shirts are 90 dollars... you're going to tell me about starving children and then sell a shirt for 90 bucks? lame.

KUDOS
Bono's bash on Bush during psycho bandana rant, "Read my lips"
THE LIGHTING AND STAGE FOR THIS SHOW IS AMAZING...
THE RHYTHM SECTION OF THIS BAND FLOURISHES... LARRY PLAYED HIS BRAINS OUT AND IT SOUNDED AMAZING.
Bono's energy was infectious and amazing... great front-man.
Use of "ZOO TV" screens during encore... thanks for including the ridiculous pic of Bush... not quite "We will rock you" but it's one step closer...
Coldplay in the house
CHICAGO CROWDS ARE THE GREATEST
This show is now finding its groove...
The Vertigo Tour is legit... the greatest band in the world.

CloserToKnowing said:
curious why the film crews (assuming filming of the DVD) set up prior to the show behind the sound desk, then were mysteriously gone after a few songs.....I completely missed what happened there.

At one point the screens show a video of Bono that zooms in and becomes a montage of videos of people in the audience. Given the rather bored look on the faces of the people filmed, and the fact that the faces changed from one concert to the next, I assume that they are shots taken before the concert starts. That could possibly explain the disappearing film crews (but the people I noticed filming in Phoenix were in very small bunches, not the large crews I would expect they'd have around to film a DVD).

It's great to hear that "Bad" is evolving at a greater speed than even I imagined. My prediction is that by the third leg it'll be the best "Bad" in the history of the band. I just have a good feeling about this.

well, it was my first show, and it was everything i hoped it'd be and more. i can't believe i finally got to see them... :hyper:

seemed like they got off to a bit of a rough start (vertigo :huh:), but i was so excited to be there that i just couldn't possibly have cared less, and jumped right along to it anyway. it didn't take them long to find their groove though, and holy crap... :drool:
the highlight of the show was definitely bad, which i didn't expect to hear. oh my god. incredible.

one thing i realized after actually being at a show is that while you're there in the moment, the sound quality, the little fuckups and technical problems, and even the setlist, just don't matter. just being in the audience jumping around and going nuts is a feeling like nothing else.

adam was hilarious last night! i don't know what got into him but i loved it! :wink:

the only downside to last night was the guy sitting next to me. he stood there with his feet cemented to the floor, and didn't do anything. no clapping, singing, cheering, dancing... nothing. just stood there, except for the THREE times he pushed past me to get more beer. i had hoped that by his 4th, he'd be a little more loosened up, but no such luck. very strange. the crowd was so hyper last night that anyone who wasn't going crazy looked awkward. :laugh:

hmm, yeah. the more i reflect on it, the happier i get. an absolutely priceless experience. i just can't wait till december when i get to do it again, but with GA. :hyper:

My random thoughts:

I got to be honest with you... I liked how Bono sung Vertigo offbeat. It was definitely odd but interesting. I think maybe he's sick of the usual way he sings it.

Highlights:

I thought LAPOE was awesome! Had not heard any bootlegs of it yet just to save it for my first time hearing it live.

ZooStation and Fly so good :drool:

Miracle Drug did get off to a rocky start...the backing track stopped and had to be relooped in the beginning i think.

People around me in sec 204 sucked. I agree with you mads, the crowd was hyper but my section was dreadful!!!

Adam must have been like he was @ PHX 2 from what i've read on the reviews..Bono said "Adam Clayton..gone on walk-about..dont know whats got into the boy..but I like it!" and later went on to say "Follow follow follow follow follow the yellow-brick road " [while skipping]

..what an amazing part to see live :lol:

Oh gosh..here I go talking about Phoenix again

knox said:

nyd.jpg

I know! How often do we see sights such as this, with the whole band on the stage except for Adam?

Hehe, twice during LA2!

I dunno what's gotten into him this tour either, but he sure does seem happier/enjoying it more huh?

Last edited:
Keept his brief since I'm at work.

Show was very good. Band was tight. Went with my g/f, which was her first show. I've kind of turned her on to U2. She was very very impressed.

I will admit that Bono doesn't move around like he used to, but his voice sounds 100% better than what I've heard on previous tours.

The lighting was excellent. Best I've ever seen. Miracle Drup, Vertigo, City of blinding lights were highlights in that department.

The bad about the show. The guy next to me was a complete *@#$%. Very big dude, dressed like he was going to the club. All he did was two fist beers during the show. The people in front of me sat down the whole show, but their reason was a pregnant wife. Fine with me, not fine with the drunk.

He spilled beer on them, he kicked their chairs, he yelled at them. Of course, the husband was a big dude too, so he'd yell back and there were a few times I thought a fight was gonna break out. During one of the breaks, I tried to get security to come in and get the guy out, but they did nothing. The married couple ended up leaving, and I had to stand next to the drunk.

He did ruin a few moments for me, but I was really there to let my girl experience the band. Other than a few bad moments, one of the best concerts I've ever been to!

It's so sad to read about obvious missteps in their live performing, especially after several weeks to get the kinks worked out. I know that when I saw them on SNL, they definitely played quite stiff and without much of the U2 swagger that we have come to expect.

And after seeing them live last tour and seeing the resulting DVDs, it is apparent that U2 live isn't quite a brazen as they used to be. But I'm still excited to see them in Mpls next fall; perhaps by then, they will all be having as much fun as Adam sounds like he is having! I also hope they shake up the set list a lot more by then; I've heard many of these songs live already. Hearing "Where the Streets Have No Name" again....snore.

klayon said:
It's so sad to read about obvious missteps in their live performing, especially after several weeks to get the kinks worked out. I know that when I saw them on SNL, they definitely played quite stiff and without much of the U2 swagger that we have come to expect.

And after seeing them live last tour and seeing the resulting DVDs, it is apparent that U2 live isn't quite a brazen as they used to be. But I'm still excited to see them in Mpls next fall; perhaps by then, they will all be having as much fun as Adam sounds like he is having! I also hope they shake up the set list a lot more by then; I've heard many of these songs live already. Hearing "Where the Streets Have No Name" again....snore.
erm your saying that without even seeing the show? the band by the sound of the majority of reviews are having ALOT of fun, and this tour has been classed as alot LESS serious as the elevaiton tour, also the SNL performance brought the roof of the place?

I think the pressure of getting the DVD right is weighing on the band.

The same happened last time in Boston where it had a tension in the air and as a result the 1st night had an unusual lackluster Boston crowd response as a result.

After Boston last time they went on and blew away the last night after the filing had wrapped and also played "the best show of the tour" according to Hammish who is the guy who fils the shows in MSG the following week which maybe was accurate until 10/27 rolled around.

Anyway I think Philly and NJ/NY will see a much looser band and more festive enviorment as a result of the band having the DVD off their minds!!!!

kawai17 said:

ZooStation and Fly so good :drool:

:yes: :heart:

Vertigo and Elevation were indeed off, but I think they were experiencing technical problems. Bono said something like "Louder."

BTW, was it me or did you all hear him sing a bit of Neon Lights in one of the songs???

A lot of what happened is such a blur now. :D

One of the "worst" U2 shows I've ever been to, but still by no means truly "bad." It was okay, for me. The fuck-ups were pretty fucked up ("Vertigo," "Miracle Ass," Bono's 120 second-plus fetal position for "An Cat Dubh"/"Into the Heart," and Larry's dumb ass on the screen for everybody to see not knowing a single word to "Elevation" which he was trying to get into but failing miserably), and the high points were pretty astoundingly amazing ("Sometimes..." was mostly superb, "Love and Peace..." rocked the casbah, "Bad" was mostly well-done, and "Zoo Station," aside from Bono's horrible posturing/"performance" was about a million times better than I could've dreamed).

I'm watching the PopMart VHS as I type this and I realize what's wrong with these new shows (for me): Bono. I miss not just this energy from '97/'98 (and before, of course), but SOME energy, of which there was less-than-none on Saturday night. Seriously. If anybody here claims that Bono put on a good performance (and I don't mean vocally, but physically), then he/she is hittin' the peace pipe a bit too often. He really is the problem. It's the only show I've yet seen this tour and I haven't sealed the deal and written it all off, just yet...but we'll see where I stand after tonight's show. I hope that he proves me wrong and demonstrates that he's not 100% irrelevant.

I am back! Commented Sunday morning but didnt get much time to post as we were staying with my brother-in-law and had to leave to go celebrate mothers day with my hubby's mom. Now at last, back home in Akron, OH (Sigh) and thinking of ways to go see them in another city some time before I see em in Dec in Cleve! My section rocked (207). Had my cd insert from Vertigo in my bag, it didnt get autographed which made me sad:crack: BUT the guy behind me spilled his drink all over and it ran down and soaked my bag so its just as well, I would have REALLY been sick if my autograph was ruined! My experience - everyone was on their feet the entire time.

Stood outside from about 3:00 til doors opened hoping the band would come out to sign. Met some Really nice people. I didnt take my seat til Kings of Leon finished, they sounded like a really bad garage band. JMO.

If you shout... said:
One of the "worst" U2 shows I've ever been to, but still by no means truly "bad." It was okay, for me. The fuck-ups were pretty fucked up ("Vertigo," "Miracle Ass," Bono's 120 second-plus fetal position for "An Cat Dubh"/"Into the Heart," and Larry's dumb ass on the screen for everybody to see not knowing a single word to "Elevation" which he was trying to get into but failing miserably), and the high points were pretty astoundingly amazing ("Sometimes..." was mostly superb, "Love and Peace..." rocked the casbah, "Bad" was mostly well-done, and "Zoo Station," aside from Bono's horrible posturing/"performance" was about a million times better than I could've dreamed).

I'm watching the PopMart VHS as I type this and I realize what's wrong with these new shows (for me): Bono. I miss not just this energy from '97/'98 (and before, of course), but SOME energy, of which there was less-than-none on Saturday night. Seriously. If anybody here claims that Bono put on a good performance (and I don't mean vocally, but physically), then he/she is hittin' the peace pipe a bit too often. He really is the problem. It's the only show I've yet seen this tour and I haven't sealed the deal and written it all off, just yet...but we'll see where I stand after tonight's show. I hope that he proves me wrong and demonstrates that he's not 100% irrelevant.
wow yet ANOTHER positve post by you

When Bono started singing LAPOE, I thought he was ill. He sounded kind of nasal like he had a cold. As much as the show wasn't the best, he's actually a trouper for pulling off what he did on Saturday. :)

I thought Larry forgot the lyrics during Elevation too, but I don't think he was supposed to sing the entire thing. You know how some back up vocals only sing parts/words in the song? I think that's what he was doing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I thought it was. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom