May 28, Fleet Center in Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FANTASTIC!

We got there about 1:30 and were #'s 525 and 526 GA for the club line. Returned around 4:00 and started lining up around 5:00. Got to the top where they scan your tix for the ellipse. I got nothing on mine then my wife went and VOILA we were in!

We went all the way to the far side from where they let you in, for some reason everyone was congregating on edge's side and in the middle like 8 deep or so...we were right in front of Adam...3 deep from the stage, wow, what an experience!

The Concert was awesome, also went on Tuesday and thought this show was much better. Got to hear New Year's Day which I absolutely love live. Vertigo twice! Till the end of the world, who's gonna ride your wild horses, party girl! Tremendous set list and show!

I took a few pictures with the cell phone, will try to upload them tomorrow, not sure how they came out as it's quality stinks but we were so close hopefully somthing came out good.

Thanks so much for the lottery system for the elipse, we would never of been able to have seen this once in a lifetime show tonight so close without it. WOW!

I waited 14 hours for tickets and finally got 2 amazing side seats thanks to some very awesome U2 fans who helped me and my friend out. The show rocked. WGRYWH was amazing. Bono joked around a lot about the Mayer and U2 day thing. Party Girl was cool. Bono and Edge forgot the words, great moment. I'll write more later. I must sleep now.

SMB

C'mon, guys, wake up!
We need more details on Wild Horses! Was it a different version than the one on ZooTV? Maybe a solo from the early ZooTV days? (I know, that is too much to ask, but you never know...)

WOW! We were in Section 22 - 20 feet from the elipse. I told my wife we had lousy seats in the balcony as that was the best I could get for her birthday. The usher brings us down and she flips!!

Crowd was in to it from the begining. We had 2 17 year old girls next to us who had no idea what to expect. Set list - was great. NYD for the first time in a few shows followed by SBS and BTBS are awesome 3 in a row. WILD HORSES!!! Bono says we have not played this one in 10 years and crowd loved it! Our section was mental as a few of us had heard the rumor! Pretty funny when Bono goofed the words in Party girl!! Only, only complaint (other than having no voice this morning) to the two people in the row behind us who DID NOT move a muscle during the entire show - give up the seats to a real fan next time your jack---es!! Also, why play vertigo again when 40 or bad would have sent the audience into orbit! Unreal as usual - I'd say a 9 only because no 40 or bad!

I agree about your seats. I was in section 21 4th row and it was awesome. Unfortunately the people around me (other than the guys behind me) weren't really that into it and it got me pretty frustrated. People from my row left during One. Who leaves a U2 show before the encore?

I wish I had had these seats on the 26th with the people around me on that show.

Other than that I thought the show was awesome. It was so intense to see everything that was going on on stage.

I love WGRYWH so that was obviously a highlight. Also I was so happy that they did An Cat Dubh since this was one of the songs I had really wanted them to play on Tuesday.

Overall a solid show, but will still rank just behind the 26th.

Me and my friend were number 537-538 and it was pure excitement once we got into the building. We heard them soundchecking WGRYWH. Once we got to the computers, I didn't get beeped. I was walking away when all of a sudden my friend got beeped!!! Woohoo!! :) We ended up in the 2nd row inside the ellipse and it was great. Only bad thing: there was this asshole next to this girl who kept shoving her and elbowing me and being a serious prick.:mad: The place was totally rocking!

redlight30 said:
WOW! We were in Section 22 - 20 feet from the elipse. I told my wife we had lousy seats in the balcony as that was the best I could get for her birthday. The usher brings us down and she flips!!

Crowd was in to it from the begining. We had 2 17 year old girls next to us who had no idea what to expect. Set list - was great. NYD for the first time in a few shows followed by SBS and BTBS are awesome 3 in a row. WILD HORSES!!! Bono says we have not played this one in 10 years and crowd loved it! Our section was mental as a few of us had heard the rumor! Pretty funny when Bono goofed the words in Party girl!! Only, only complaint (other than having no voice this morning) to the two people in the row behind us who DID NOT move a muscle during the entire show - give up the seats to a real fan next time your jack---es!! Also, why play vertigo again when 40 or bad would have sent the audience into orbit! Unreal as usual - I'd say a 9 only because no 40 or bad!

Did the crowd at least sing the chorus of 40 at the end? Probably out of place considering Vertigo is the closer, but heck, the snippet of 40 during Bad on Thurs. night was a distant memory once the actual song ended. It was the crowd that took it upon itself (or at least the one guy near our section) to bring the chorus back. What a moment!

Ok, just waking up from last nights unbelievable show, here's the lowdown:

My buddy and I drove down from Maine, got our GA wristband (U2.com line) and were 531 & 532. After spending some quality time at Boston Beer Works on Canal St watching the Sox spank the Yankees (Wasn't that awesome!) we walked over to Nashua St (Fleetcenter entrance) and waited for the customary black U2 limos and SUV's to arrive for soundcheck. Edge arrived and his limo stopped just up from us. He got out and although didn't sign he did come down for a meet and greet with the fans. I was lucky enough to shake the man's hand so life was good at this point! Bono arrived next and his SUV stopped in front of the growing mass of fans. He popped his head out and said he didn't have time to sign because they were going in to soundcheck "some new songs for us tonight". Inside he went and straight to the GA lineup for us.

Ok, we ended up behind some great people in the GA line. In fact, Relater and his wife were right in front of us. From CT, I believe, and nice people. So glad for them that they got into the Elipse. As for me and my buddy? Irish eyes were smiling on us as well! My buddy's ticket gave us the Vertigo logo when scanned and we were into the Elipse! Got to tell you it's a special feeling. Anyways, as Relater said, Edge's side was getting crowded so we proceeded to Adam's side and ended up 3 rows back from the rail in front of Adam (and right next to Relater and his wife!)

Ok, as for the show....I'm speechless, really. What can one say about a U2 show that hasn't already been said a thousand times? This band is on fire, last night they once again brought the roof down. Was it better than Boston 2? From my perspective yes, but I was in Balconies for Boston 2 and in front of Adam for Boston 3, so I'm biased. I simply can't imagine that a band on this planet exists that could ever go blow for blow with U2 live and match their musicianship, spirit, charisma, song catalogue etc. Do we all realize just how lucky we are to witness such greatness when we are at their shows, or are we beginning to get numb to it because these guys have been doing this at such a high level for so long? Personally, after 14 shows and more to come, a U2 show still brings shivers down my spine and I have been so blessed to have been in the front row or close to it on several occasions and it never gets old.

As for Who's...Wild Horses. My own personal opinion hearing it last night as compared to the Zoo Tv Tour (which I attended) is that last nights version had a harder rock edge to it, the drums in particular. I definetely think it is a semi-reworked rendition though a complete listen back from a bootleg needs to confirm this. It's just that I never really cared much for that song during the Zoo TV tour as I felt it was a mellowish speed bump in the road, but last night I really felt this song ROCKED!!! Maybe it's because it hadn't been played for 10 years or so, but if my ears weren't failing me it certainly sounded harder and more aggressive than the Zoo TV version of Horses. Perhaps others who were there and have knowledge of the Zoo TV version as well could confirm my thoughts or otherwise.

Folks, sorry for being long winded. It was another special U2 show for me, always fun to hear NYD's and Party Girl. The band was certainly loose and having fun. Vertigo twice was awesome, I love that song live. Words like unbelievable, wow, incredible, amazing, etc only begin to describe last night.

The fact is, when U2 is at the top of their game (like the last few nights in Boston), the experience is out of this world!

Oh, and nice to have met Dreadsoxx while waiting for Edge and Bono. Boston Anne came over and talked to Dread so I saw her even though I didn't meet her. Dread got Diamond Dave on the horn for me, so thanks Dread for hooking me back up with Dave as I hadn't spoken with the big guy since Providence on the Elevation tour. That's all folks...

LSTB

Last night was a great show. I almost cried during Miracle Drug (Bono made a very moving introduction) and SYCMIOYO - and I'm not one to usually cry at a concert.

Also really loved SBS and Streets tonight - I thought they really nailed both of them.

Great to hear UTEOTW (someone from the audience gave Bono a black feather boa, which he wore for several more songs too :lol:, and he made good use of it for the "playing the tart" line :wink: ). The band did a great job on WGRYWH. I thought it showed that they worked hard on this one and really wanted it to sound good.

The only thing that bugged me was the guy next to me didn't really move much, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just "taking it all in" :lol: But he livened up a little bit. The people around me were a little reserved, but I think I only noticed it because I was really in a "woo hoo!" mood last night :reject: , so I felt a little intimidated about that and wasn't as "woo hoo" as I wanted to be. It's not like they didn't enjoy it, they were more of the "quietly bopping their head around" type, than the "hands in the air type". The ellipse was really moving last night too :up:

Must sleep now. Been up since 7 a.m. Saturday :wave:

Last edited:
Words Cant Express

I finally woke up..and I cannot express lastnight's show..in words......It was the best show in a long longgg time...I do have one picture and a video that i cant show because it on my camera... to start..The day waas great in downtown Boston..The red Sox wiped out the Yankeess. We met Bono and the Edge ...Bono told us they were going to sing 3 new tour songs..There is nothing eles to say...Im on cloud 9

343%3A5%3B4723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D7%3B9%3D969%3DXROQDF%3E2323883959678ot1lsi

it was a great show. what a wonderful way to end the first leg by treating the fans to the debut of 'who's gonna ride your wild horses.' i didn't win the lottery, so ended up on the railing at the outside center of the ellipse. i actually LIKE the kings of leon, so was dancing and jumping during their set. (the bass player is hottt, by the way! ;) ) just before U2 came onstage, a few techs came down and pulled out the drum for LAPOE. i had only seen them open with 'city of blinding lights', so i was excited to see how this song worked as an opener. it was really cool to see all 4 band members come out w/ flashlights as they walked around the ellipse, and the crowd was rocking during that song. however, i have to say that i prefer 'city of blinding lights' as an opener- i just think it's such a joyeous way to open the show!

i'm not going to give a song-by-song review, but i'll just mention some highlights:

- during 'an cat dubh', bono took a sparkly hat from a girl in the front row and strutted around with it on. he looked ridiculous, but it was totally classic bono!!! :wink:

- at the end of SYCMIOYO, bono didn't do the 'no regrets' snippet, but instead was talking... i couldn't make out what he was saying, so will have to wait for a boot to surface (knock on wood!)

- during COBL, bono brought 2 kids onstage, a boy and a girl of 12 years old. they were adorable- i had met the girl and her parents in line, and they were all really sweet. :) he led the kids all the way up the ellipse ramp, and sat them next to larry's drumkit for the rest of the song.

- 'new year's day' made a triumphant return- the crowd was really into it.

- during the intro to miracle drug, bono talked about how this was the tour that almost didn't happen... he went on for a while, can't completely remember what he said.

- UTEOTW rocked! i love this song- wish bono and edge had gone out onto the ellipse and done the whole bullfight thing, but bono made up for it by taking a flower and feather boa from a girl in the front row, and then sang 'in the garden, i was playing the tart'... it was really funny!

- bono introduced the next song by saying "ok, we're gonna play a song we haven't played in 10 years...' WILD HORSES, baby!!! i had never heard this live, and just about died!! it has a lot of personal significance for me, and i almost started crying... beautiful version!!! we had heard them soundchecking it before they let us into the venue, but i am so glad they actually decided to play it! no Mysterious Ways, which was a bit upsetting since i adore that song live, but WGRYWH more than made up for it!!

- just before 'yahweh', bono gathered the whole band together on the mainstage to tell them something. they came out to the tip to play 'yahweh', which i was quite pleased about since at NJ1 they stayed on the main stage. i have really come to love 'yahweh' live- it is a gorgeous song, and i think the accoustic version captures something that is missing from the album version.

- after yahweh, bono brought a huge poster onstage, saying that they had received it from the Mayor of Boston earlier that day. he then goes, 'larry loves this stuff', and proceeded to tell the crowd that the Mayor had declared May 24th "U2 Day". well, the crowd went nuts. next thing we know, bono runs and grabs a bottle of champagne, and says that he's off for a week in the south of france just before taking a big gulp of the bubbly! then the band rips into 'party girl', which was awesome despite the fact that bono screwed up the lyrics. ;) one note: he sang the "when i was 3 i thought the world revolved around me..." part, which he didn't sing in chicago. he sprayed the crowd with champagne.

- one final 'vertigo' to brought a fantastic end to the night and the 1st leg. bono once again took the sparkly hat from the girl in the front, and posed and preened for the crowd (yeah, mandy!!!).

it was a great night, one that i didn't want to end. thank you, U2, for a fantastic first leg- i can't wait to see you again in the fall!!! :heart: :applaud:

Hey Boston, I was there too! Are you in this photo? I recognize most of the people in it while we waited. I had on the AWF t-shirt "Where you live should not decide".. and was with a couple of friends and my friend's daughters.

Kelly you were at this show?! We coulda met up!!!

Ally gave a great review- covering pretty much everything I remember too. Horses was a definite highlight for me, and the LAPOE opening was so cool, I had forgotten how they come out with spotlights. I too prefer the COBL opening but it was cool to see LAPOE open!

The decision to play Vertigo a second time, closing the show, was Larry's, and that was very cool. After Horses I was flying so high, then ABOY, it was very hard to come back down again for Yahweh. I wanted another rocking song, and Larry must have felt that Vertigo would have matched the energy, because as soon as Party Girl ended he banged on the drums and smashed into Vertigo - from what it looked like to me catching the other guys by a bit of surprise but they quickly got into it again, Bono doing the whole "Encore" speech. As perfect as it is to end a show with 40, Vertigo was a great way to end the final show of the first leg- it's the subtle difference between saying "see ya later" rather than "goodbye."

Also during this Miracle Drug the expression on Larry's face held me, he was very very upset and intense, his expression contorted by his emotions. I'm guessing it was something that Bono said that struck him, probably about the reasons why the tour didn't happen. It was very emotional :hug: (that song hits it every night for me, Sometimes also).

Lastly I'm so proud of Boston and the mayor for declaring it U2 day and how much this city loves the band and vice versa. It's such a nice feeling to be in a city that adores the band I love. :heart:

Re: Words Cant Express

boston said:
I finally woke up..and I cannot express lastnight's show..in words......It was the best show in a long longgg time...I do have one picture and a video that i cant show because it on my camera... to start..The day waas great in downtown Boston..The red Sox wiped out the Yankeess. We met Bono and the Edge ...Bono told us they were going to sing 3 new tour songs..There is nothing eles to say...Im on cloud 9

343%3A5%3B4723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D7%3B9%3D969%3DXROQDF%3E2323883959678ot1lsi

I agree..I cannot believe what happened yesterday..met bono at the 4 seasons...saw them drive into the fleet center...great show!! Way to much to think about right now:hyper: :faint:

I posted this in the wrong forum, I guess....here it is again...

Been a fan for over 20 years.

Certainly haven't set a record for seeing live shows, although I generally see them 3 to 5 times per tour since Unforgettable Fire.

This is the first time I've seen them on the Vertigo tour, and because of my hectic schedule, have not really read much or heard much about the tour thus far.

I got in line with my wife about 4:30am. We were #47 and #48. That seemed pretty good for me, knowing that a lottery existed for entry into the elipse. I figured no matter where we ended up, we were in good shape. They handed out wristbands around 8:30, went back to my sister-in-laws, rested up. Got back in line around 5:00, and we were let into the last holding line before entry to the floor. Overall, I would rate the Fleet Center's handling of the GA crowd as the best yet. MSG being the worst (last tour).

This is where the night started to really get interesting. While we were waiting there, on the stairs, we could hear U2's soundcheck. Everyone got ridiculously excited when we heard them play "Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses". When they finished it, a huge roar went up from the faithful.

They started entry procedure shortly after 6:00, and lucky us, my ticket scanned for entry into the elipse. And what is becoming status quo, we found ourselves in the exact same spot we stood for three shows on the Elevation Tour (Albany, 2 New York), front row, right between Bono and the Edge (closer to Edge).

You all know the set list...Personally, I was ecstatic to hear "An Cat Dubh". If they played every song off of "Boy", that would have been enough for me. I told my wife that if they played An Cat Dubh, and Party Girl, I would die a happy man. Well, I'm not dead, but good lord, did not think that was actually going to happen. And then Wild Horses, you have GOT to be kidding me!
Before they started Wild Horses, all four converged near Larry, and started playing it. I could see them talking to each other to make sure they were all on the same page. That was a great moment. And then Bono flubbed Party Girl. He said "Give me a chance", as he was laughing, then started it over again (sort of). Before they launched Vertigo the second time, I could swear I heard Bono shout to the band, "Out of Control", which I thought would have been a great closer, but it was "Vertigo". Bono said something about how they used to play the same song twice in one night.

The other highlight of the night for me was "Elevation". In my mind, the best opening song ever, but I loved the the slow start, the AUDIENCE shouting out el-e-va-tion! WOW! Great stuff.

I can't wait to hear the audio for this show. As I looked around there was only one small stretch where I noticed anyone sitting down. The crowd was into it from start to end, and I think everyone thought they would come back out after the second Vertigo. With the lights down for some time, the audience was shouting the verse of "40". But then the lights came on.

Best show I have ever seen U2 perform. Having been in the elipse, I think I can say that I do NOT agree with the random selection of elipse entry. First come, first served is how it should be. We may not have ended up in the front row, but I still would have been happy whereever we ended up.

Can't wait for the Fall leg. For those who will be seeing them in Europe, have a great time. They are in prime shape right now.

Anne

No Im not in that photo becasue I was talking the pic..with my friend from New York....i shook his hand though..ehhe Anyway, back to sleep lol....4 hours lastnight, 3 the night before:) Thanks so much for that video, you rock..our will never leaave the camera phone LOL
Later
Kim

"Come on now love, don't you look back..."

There was certainly no looking back Saturday night. You just knew good things were in store when Bono stopped the SUV he was riding in before entering the Fleet Center, not to sign autographs, but to pop out briefly to let us know that there would be some new things tonight. Of course, it's Bono saying that, but it gave us hope.

It was unreal seeing Bono that up close, as well as Edge who had stopped several minutes earlier and got out to shake some hands. Meeting other people who were hanging out there and going through the same experience as you makes it that much better.

As for the show, others have explained it very well. I thought it was a very strong performance all the way through. Bono was nailing song after song - the show is already up at u2torrents.com, and I can't wait to hear it again. I recall Streets in particular being really, really good, and after reading a thread where others were commenting that it didn't seem to be as good anymore, I can say now that at least on 5/28, it was damn good to me.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - what can you say? It's been over 10 years, but you know what? The crowd last night was really into it, and singing it very well. The obvious highlight of the night for me.

I didn't mind hearing Vertigo again, but the only thing that bothered me was how after that song ended and they left the stage, the lights did not come on right away - it stayed dark for about five minutes, and everyone in the building had the same thought: awesome, maybe a bonus for the last show of the first leg. But then the lights came on, and it was kind of a downer (although very brief!).

I was in Section 103, which is club seats to the left of the stage (or right if you are facing the stage) and slightly behind. I had a perfect view of the ellipse, which was rocking. There seemed to be this really tall guy with a red shirt smack in the middle, and all I kept thinking about was how nobody would see anything if standing behind him.

Another interesting note is with my view of the stage, I could see the teleprompter and make out the words. At the end of each song, the next song title would show up, and once the song begins, the lyrics roll along throughout. I gasped when I first saw WGRYWH, and this was before Bono introduced it.

Well, before they started Yahweh, Bono was directing traffic, obviously saying that they were gonna do something different than what was planned. They still did Yahweh, but when that song ended, 40 appeared on the teleprompter. However, it was at this point when they brought out the large sign regarding last Tuesday being U2 Day, and then went into Party Girl. This had to be an audible - 40 was on the screen but Party Girl was played instead, followed by Vertigo (which also didn't show up on the teleprompter at the end). Kind of interesting.

So an all-around fantastic show. Yes, I was waiting for Crumbs From Your Table like everyone else, but I really couldn't have asked for a better performance. Time to put that rockin' smilie to use!

:rockon:

phanan said:
"Come on now love, don't you look back..."

Another interesting note is with my view of the stage, I could see the teleprompter and make out the words. At the end of each song, the next song title would show up, and once the song begins, the lyrics roll along throughout.

:rockon:

So Bono, being on the main stage, can see these lyrics throughout the concert ? He doesn't have to know all the words by heart then?:eyebrow:

May 28 "review"

May 28 in Boston ROCKED! It was my first Vertigo show and I was nervous it would never live up to any of my Elevation experiences. It was fantastic. Bono's voice was totally ON. The band were having fun, yet still putting out great music. Pretty much the entire (huge) Fleet Center was on its feet the whole show. WGTRYWH was just such a treat. I feel very lucky to have been at this show. Kim

May 28 in Boston ROCKED! It was my first Vertigo show and I was nervous it would never live up to any of my Elevation experiences. It was fantastic. Bono's voice was totally ON. The band were having fun, yet still putting out great music. Pretty much the entire (huge) Fleet Center was on its feet the whole show. WGTRYWH was just such a treat. I feel very lucky to have been at this show. Kim

BostonAnne said:
I love the design too! You can get one here:
http://www.africanwellfund.org/merchandise.html

Seeing the Edge & Bono yesterday before they went into the venue was awesome!! I thought it was priceless to see the duck tour vehicle drive by touring Boston and getting the best view of Bono while he was talking to us!! How would I recognize you?

I had to leave to get back in the GA line but I had a gray Vertigo T-shirt on talking to a girl in a red shirt. :)

How can I get involved in AWF by the way??

oops..now I see where you can get involved..lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom