May 28, Fleet Center in Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
djerdap said:
C'mon, guys, wake up!
We need more details on Wild Horses! Was it a different version than the one on ZooTV? Maybe a solo from the early ZooTV days? (I know, that is too much to ask, but you never know...)

Too much to ask? Well, the solo WAS played!
God, I love this tour... :drool:

BostonAnne said:
I love the design too! You can get one here:
http://www.africanwellfund.org/merchandise.html

Seeing the Edge & Bono yesterday before they went into the venue was awesome!! I thought it was priceless to see the duck tour vehicle drive by touring Boston and getting the best view of Bono while he was talking to us!! How would I recognize you?

I was there too and saw the duck vehicle :lol:

Those are great shirts :bow:

greety said:

So Bono, being on the main stage, can see these lyrics throughout the concert ? He doesn't have to know all the words by heart then?:eyebrow:

That's correct. Of course, he doesn't always bother to look down at them, does he? :wink:

Last edited:
This show left me speechless. I don't even know how I can write a full review of it, though I'll try. Wild Horses - stunned, amazed, I alternated between standing there in amazement and screaming stuff along the lines of "oh my goodness!" Streets was amazing, RTSS beautiful, COBL outstanding, Electric Co. superb ... WHAT A SHOW. And I got in the ellipse again, on the rail by the walkway near the entrance, looking right at Edge. Fantastic spot.

I'll write more later.

Axver said:
This show left me speechless. I don't even know how I can write a full review of it, though I'll try. Wild Horses - stunned, amazed, I alternated between standing there in amazement and screaming stuff along the lines of "oh my goodness!" Streets was amazing, RTSS beautiful, COBL outstanding, Electric Co. superb ... WHAT A SHOW. And I got in the ellipse again, on the rail by the walkway near the entrance, looking right at Edge. Fantastic spot.

I'll write more later.

U2Dork texted me during the show to look for you, but I didn't see you (I was a setlist party source) :lol:. Now I know why, she told me to look by the soundboard - congrats on getting into the ellipse :up:

ALLE, ALLE, ALLELUIA !!!!!!!! This show still has not fully sunk in yet; songs and visuals have been appearing the past few days. This was the special night I anticipated from U2 in Boston. The crowd was so into the show and the band fed off the energy and excitement ( I think Bono let the crowd solo for appx 25% of the lyrics). THANK YOU U2 and Boston III for a very memorable night.

My husband and I were right in front of both relater and someone to blame. I was happy that they both got into the ellipse. Even from the back half of GA it was a rockin show. I would have to put it in my top 5 of all time. See you in the fall. We have two more chances for the ellipse. Wish us luck

phanan said:
"Come on now love, don't you look back..."

I was in Section 103, which is club seats to the left of the stage (or right if you are facing the stage) and slightly behind. I had a perfect view of the ellipse, which was rocking. There seemed to be this really tall guy with a red shirt smack in the middle, and all I kept thinking about was how nobody would see anything if standing behind him.

:rockon:

I've got tickets behind the stage on the other side. I know the set up and all that will be different (for Portland) but do you think that was a good seat for the concert? I also have a couple of nosebleed seats that face the stage, so I'm not sure which to keep and which to give up. Anyone have an opinion?

JohnLee said:

I've got tickets behind the stage on the other side. I know the set up and all that will be different (for Portland) but do you think that was a good seat for the concert? I also have a couple of nosebleed seats that face the stage, so I'm not sure which to keep and which to give up. Anyone have an opinion?

I had seats behind the stage for my first show and loved them, and another friend did for Boston 2 and loved his seat too. You are verry close to the band, and get to see the show from their persepctive, which is cool. I guess an advantage to being opposite facing the stage is you get to see the show from the front, but being close behind them you can see more of the band, their interactions, and the arena as they see it.

This was my first U2 show. I've heard from multiple people who have been to more than one show that the 5/28 show was the best so far. And now that I think about it 2+ months later, it was the greatest night of my life, easily.

It was 4:00 when I left for Boston that afternoon. I had just gotten out of work, a very stressful day. My boss made me pin my apron to the back of my pants as to conceal my cargo pockets. Apparently, it's a new rule that there can only be pockets in the front and back, none on the legs.

I jumped into my dad's truck and off we went. He made a tape of all the U2 studio cuts based on the setlists from the past few nights, so there was so need for the radio on the 30 minute-drive in. The bass-line of New Year's Day came on and, it being in both of our top-3 favorite U2 songs, we prayed that the band would play it that night. They hadn't in 2 weeks and it looked slim that we would actually hear it.

I looked out the window and saw it was sunny at the time, but that came after torrential downpours for 5 weeks in a row. For 5 weeks in a row we had to deal with horrible weather, which included cloud upon cloud of rain and below 50 degree temps, the coldest month of May ever.

We arrived in Boston, with primo parking conditions, at 4:25, and made our way to the heartland of Italians-the North End of Boston. I ate the best pizza of my life here 4 years ago, and I was determined to do it yet again.

We left the small, crowded pizza shop extremely sweaty and ready to make our way to the Fleet, until we looked at our cell phones, which would come in handy later on, and saw the time was just 5:25, a full hour before the doors were opened. So to kill time we walked down to Quincy Market, a whole different experience for yours truly.

I've never seen anything like the sight of Quincy Market. Dozens upon dozens of people screaming at eachother for food, trying to bargain for the lowest prices, skipping the bargaining and attempting to steal when one is unaware. After 2 minutes of shoving my way through the masses, we made our way to the Fleet.

Upon reaching the east-side entrance to the leviathan building we found the line to enter into our section.

We reached the Fleet and waited in line for nearly a half hour. The doors opened at 6:30 for the seats. While waiting in line, I became excited at the sight of beautiful girls my age walking towards the line, then right past it, exclaiming "Hurry up guys, or we'll be late for the train!" The Fleet just HAD to have a train station...

The wait was over and we made our way towards our seats. Section 115. Got it. Row...bb...holy crap we're close....seats 3 and 4...!!!

We probably had the most picturesque view ever, because we sat right next to the camera that projects the images of each band member on the jumbotron. We chatted with other fans and talked about what was going to be on tonight's setlist (hopefully).

An older guy in front of me named Brian (that's my name also) turned around about 15 minutes before U2 came on and said "hey kid, do you know about this cell phone thing they're doin' tonight?" I knew the number was UNITE and all you had to do was text your name. But as I found out, nobody over the age of 18 knew what "text" meant. Hearing the word used as a verb made their faces twist. And unfortunately, I was the only kid under 18 in my whole section.

Before I knew it I was teaching about 10 adults simultaneously on how to text message so their names could pop up on the screen.

It was 9:00 on the dot when the lights once again dimmed, and the familiar "everyone....EVERY ONE!" was shouted out. The band then came out and walked around the elipse with strobelights in each of their hands. I thought this happened every show, but because they started with Love and Peace or Else, it was a 1-time deal.

Somewhere in Bono and Larry shouting the pleas of every person who has ever experienced warfare with "we need some release, release, release, we need love and peace!", The Edge's hard strum pattern on the octave riff, and Adam's ocean wave-like bassline, I finally realized I was at a U2 concert!

The opener finished with Bono's military march-style drumbeat, and before I knew it the familiar fast-paced rocker continued into Vertigo, a song that I have listened to more than 270 full times since it's initial release in September.

The audience was fully brought into this one, with Bono tossing the mic out to the crowd for each "Hola!" and "dond'esta!" there was to sing. Vertigo was very well done, with the screens behind the stage depicting the black-and-red swirls.

After Vertigo was played through, Edge was handed the familiar-looking Gibson Pete Townshend SG, and being the guitar conosseiur (sp?) that I am, I knew Elevation was next.

Here's the thing about Elevation-when me and my friend heard it was going to be played on the tour as a regular track, we completely lost faith that it would be worth having there. We excliamed "why not switch it with Still Haven't Found!?" But by the time the fuzzed-out E5-A5 chord transitions came on, the entire crowd started the WHOO-HOOs. We basically sang that portion of the song FOR Bono.

I listen to that version of Elevation everyday now (I have the torrent of it) and I can instantly see the pit again, with no person standing on their feet during the chorus.

"You're beautiful..." Bono said..."in fact, the whole CITY is lookin' beautiful!" The crowd uproared. "Thanks for the rain!" And we cheered again. "We know you were just trying to make us feel at home! But we like it better when the sun comes out! But don't worry, summer's coming!" Keep in mind that between each of Bono's sentences, he PAUSED for us to add in the WHOO-HOO! "And everybody's singin'...WHOO-HOO!" The audience traded off with Bono on each WHOO-HOO. "Edge is singin'...Larry Mullen's singin'...but Adam Clayton says he doesn't wanna sing!" Then the drums kicked in with the full-blown overdrive of the SG that Edge played, the stage lit up with neon blue lights, and Bono on the tip of the elipse belting out every note to perfection. It was probably the best 5:21 of my life...

"Here are some tunes, that we wrote when we were...18...we played 'em here in the clubs...before the war" (he chuckles). Electric Co. was played, with 2 enormous mistakes. The first was primarily Edge's mistake, and the second a combination of Edge and Larry. It wasn't the best version.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was then played. The crowd was fully into ACD, but there was a period during ITH where everyone just stood around and regianed some energy. At the end of the song Bono walked to the tip of the elipse and pulled out 2 children, a girl and a boy, probably around 10 years old.

"What's your name?" He asked. The children told him their names, and Bono replied "Well hi, my name's Paul...but, but I call myself Bono...now look up to the sky, just look up, and open your hands!" Edge was then handed a new jazzbox that was used for City of Blinding Lights.

City was exceptionally good, easily one of the highlights. Bono walked the kids around the elipse, saying "I'm looking for blessings here tonight", a phrase commonly spoken during the intro. He walked them around a few times, then sat them at Larry's drumset behind him. After the show I realized that the kids were a symbol of innocence and arrogance, the message of City. At the end of the song there was a humorous moment when Bono took the kids and placed them at the FRONT of the elipse, when they originally came from the BACK.

The synthesized notes of Beautiful Day came on and anyone who wasn't originally on their feet got up. It was a good version of the song, with Bono screaming into the mic "Summer's coming! Summer's coming!"

Bono then talked about Lou Reed, a musician/poet, the biggest inspiration to the band. He mentioned how Lou has a song that "says...you need a bussload of faith to get by." He explained how the Vertigo Tour nearly never happened, but the band is very happy that it did. Then he talked about the nurses and doctors of science, and how God connects to science. Miracle Drug ensued, a good version of the message of hope.

SYCMIOYO came on, with the depiction of the "working class Dubliner" appearing walking on the tower of lights behind the band. It was okay, not one of my favorites. Bono's vocals were good, though.

And lo and behold, at the last note of SYCMIOYO, the familiar opening bass-line of New Year's Day was played, by none other than "The sexy Adam Clayton!" who strutted his stuff out onto the tip of the elipse, holding his bass "only like Adam Clayton can." It was amazing, orgasmic, however you wanna describe it. Top 5 performances of the night, easy.

Larry's military drum beat kicked in, and without notice Sunday Bloody Sunday was in full swing. "This is no longer an Irish song! This is YOUR song now! So let's sing it!" Once again, the crowd traded off with Bono with the "ooooo, oo-hooo". The Co-Exist headband made its appearance as well. "Let's put some graffiti...on the wall...it says 'Co-Exist'....Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true. All sons...of Abraham...all sons...of Abraham." Bono then launched into a vocal snippet, then had the crowd shouting the no-mores.

Larry's drumbeat changed tempo dramatically as Bullet the Blue Sky was played. I was never a big Bullet fan and I remain that to this day. It was one of the low-lights of the night. I feel the band needs to drop it from the tour.

Edge was brought a full organ on the left side of the stage, guitar-less, and Running To Stand Still was played. Another good version of a great song, the crowd filling in each "la la la la, ha ley ley!" The Human Rights were read at the end, and with 4 taps of Larry's sticks together, and Pride was played.

Pride is also in my top 3 songs by the band, because it was easily their biggest hit and is always great live. I was a bit disappointed with Boston's continuaion of the last vocal part, as it seemed we all died out at the very start of Streets.

Streets was played, and again it wasn't a big part of the night for me. It never actually came alive as I thought it would.

One came on, and sure enough Brian (the guy in front of me that wanted to learn how to use the cell phone) was gone. Nowhere in sight. One was very good, I enjoyed it and I listen to it often. Bono spoke about how "When we first heard about America we thought...those Americans...they're absolutely MAD! Trying to put a man on the moon, yeah right, you're kidding me!" Then he talked about JFK, "A man born not far from here...is that right?" That got a huge roar out of everyone. "JFK said that, within 10 years, we would have a man on the moon. And we thought, wow this guy's crazy huh!? But it came true, we put a man on the moon...and that's what we're asking President Bush, and Jacque Chirac, and Prime Minister Tony Blair, to do. We're not asking to put a man on the moon...but we're asking to bring America BACK TO EARTH!" Everybody rejoiced at the fact that anything was possible. "Now call us!" Bono yelled. One started and eventually the names appaeard on the 4 screens. I didn't make it on there, nor did any of my "students" that were in my section.

So the band left for 2 minutes and returned with The Fly. Bono had the large cop-like hat on, singing with the muffled-like voice modifier in his mic. The Fly was okay, my friend had gone to the 2 previous Boston gigs (that Tuesday, and then that Thursday) and said The Fly knocked him out. It didn't do so for me, I suppose that's because I just expected too much out of it.

So after The Fly, Until The End of the World started, a song that had only been played twice previous. It sounded good, Bono's vocals were on point most of the song. But what came after was even better.

The nigth before I was online and found a source that had said some lady was at the soundcheck that day and had claimed they rehearsed 2 songs that hadn't been played all tour-Crumbs From Your Table, and Wild Horses, both of which I wanted to hear.

I knew the guitar Edge played for Crumbs, and he was handed it after UTEOTW. Bono then said "Here's a song we haven't played in 10 years....maybe more..." So I knew Crumbs was out of the picture and Wild Horses was in. It was a great surprise for all who didn't know and it was VERY well done, the fans singing the entire chorus at one time by themselves.

Then the familiar 12th-fret was blasted out on the same guitar and All Because of You was played. This got the fans moving, guys were dancing with their girlfriends in the aisles and everyone was enjoying themselves.

Then the band walked to the front of the elipse and Edge took the acoustic he uses for Yahweh and other various songs. Yahweh was played with each member at the intimate setting. Yahweh was okay, there were numerous other versions that were performed better on tour.

Then Bono made everybody laugh and sing when Yahweh finished up. He walked to Larry's drumset on the stage and said "We got something here, something 'we got given'...this, this here is REALLY kewl...where, where is it? Oh, ok, here it is...Larry loves this type of stuff, come over here Larry. This, this is the Mayor of Boston, Massachusetts, declaring the 24th of May to be...U2 Day." Everybody jumped up and down, and one glance at the pit made you think you were looking at the chorus of Elevation! "Now see, most people only get this for a one-year term...but us, we're good for life!" Everybody cheered again. "And why wait till you're dead!? POP IT NOW! POP THE CHAMPAGNE NOW!!!" Bono was handed a very expensive bottle of champagne and popped it, causing its contents to spill all obver the front section of the pit, the fans opening their mouths to take a drink.

Edge started the 3-chord melody of Party Girl and everybody started cheering. "So this is the last show, of the first leg of the Vertigo Tour...and where would you wanna be!? Boston, Massachusetts, that's where we wanna be!" Everybody was hysterical and Bono started singing Party Girl while holding the champagne and taking sips during the solo. At one point the champagne got to him and he couldn't remember the words, grabbing his head like a loony. "I know a boy, a boy called trash...is that right Edge? Trash can!"

"Ahhh" Bono said after taking a sip. "Well, I'd like to thank...um...." Bono looked at the champagne bottle closely..."the makers of (the champagne manufacturer's name) would do! All praises...onto our heavenly Father...all praises, to Larry Mullen...who sits, on the right hand, of Adam Clayton...The Edge...and Napoleon Bonaparte...goodnight!" Everybody started cheering. Originally the band was going to close with "40" but when the beat of Vertigo kicked in again everybody was ecstatic.

"Okay! This is an Italian lesson...the word, is 'ancora'...meaning 'encore'" (he chuckles). "In the opera, if you felt like it, and you really liked one of the songs, that you played earlier, you just did it again! UNO, DOS, TRES, CATORCE!"

The swirls on the screens remained, as did the tens of thousands of fans screaming out every HELLO and HOLA there was to scream. This 2nd Vertigo was packed with so much energy, it was unbearable at some points, for me at least.

By the end of Vertigo Bono said "Thank you! See you in the fall, God bless you!" With that, the band walked off the stage. The lights remained off for another 2 minutes, hinting the band may come out for yet another encore. Unfortunately, it never happened, and the lights came on. There was another humorous moment where the audience actually booed the band for not coming back out, but quickly realized "Oh, wait a minute, that's U2, you can't boo U2, nevermind."

Back
Top Bottom