May 26, Fleet Center in Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like someone to blame said:
I wish that anybody and everybody that enjoys rock music could have been at last nights Boston show, because our beloved boys from Dublin were in the house schooling the competition and wowing their fans.

This was my 13th time seeing the greatest band in the world, and I agree with others who say this show ranks near the top of their U2 concert experiences. All the elements of what makes U2 the best live act in the business for me were present last night: charismatic lead vocalist with the vocal quality to match, a lead guitarist absolutely going off, a drummer and bass player skillfully and joyfully ( I might add) setting and keeping the pace, a crowd that was joyous, raucous, and giving the love right back at the band, the right mix of "wow" factor stage effects and lights, and songs that were full of emotion and grandeur.

Many fan reviews often focus on the setlist, yet for me it's much less about the setlist (since I'm hardcore and like all their songs)and more about the vibe and feeling I get at a U2 concert. In other words, was the spirit in the house? Was the band's performance jaw dropping, spontaneous, and did it evoke feelings of joy in me? I can say that yes, last night the spirit was definitely in the house and the performance was jaw dropping, spontaneous, and I was filled with much joy! Did the surprise additions of Out of Control, Until The End of the World, With or Without You, & Original of the Species contribute to all of this? Yes, but this show would have still been at the top of my all time great U2 concert experiences with the standard Vertigo setlist because this band was simply dialed in last night on all levels. They could have played Country and Western and still wowed me last night, that's how great I think they were.

Highlights:

Love and Peace or Else: This song is a monster live, and I mean that in a good way!

Out of Control: You could tell even from my balcony seats that this one wasn't planned. In fact, it wasn't played flawlessly as Edge had some issues, but that is actually why I enjoyed it so much. I could see Bono cheering Edge on and Larry was getting a few good laughs in on the screwups but it was tons of fun nevertheless.

Vertigo: Love what the stage does during this one and the lighting. Plus, the song is just a great live rock song and the snippet of Walk This Way was very cool.

OOTS: Simply a beautiful song. Bono is so right, they have to find a way to get this played on radio.

Gloria: First time getting to hear it live and it was everything I had hoped for.

So, suffice it to say this show was excellent. I think they have raised the bar for Boston 3. In fact, Boston 3 could be absolutely astonishing. I have GA's for tomorrow night, so I'm looking forward to getting into the trenches and seeing if the boys can top last night.

LSTB

Great review Rob:up:

db9

ruffian said:

Diamond, can't help but think of you tonight...it's the last Boston show, of course :wink:

I spoke w/3 ppl from the boards here, they were outside the soundcheck before the band arrived.

Edge came out and mingled w fans.:)

Bono stopped rolled down his window, said he would love to chat, but had to get inside as they were adding some new songs to the setlist tonight and pratice a bit more.:ohmy:

It's speculated that Crumbs may be played tonight based on previous posts of members here and Diamondinvestigations .:angry:

Miss you Ruffian.:hug:

db9

Last edited:
This was my 1st show of this tour. As I was watching the show I couldnt understand why people had been saying that this tour wasnt as good as others, or that the band didnt seem as in to it. I was at the New York shows after Sept 11th. At that time we (I) needed them more than ever, and more than that, U2 needed to prove that music can heal more than ever. So those shows were a pinnacle. Im not going to say anything crazy like last night was as good as those, but without that emotional baggage, no show could compete. Well anyway, last night the boys were rocking. Judging by the encore, maybe last night they were more into it than other shows this tour, but as I watched the beginning of the show, and assumed I was seeing a typical show from this tour I couldnt understand the bad reviews. Turns out maybe this show was more than the typical show this tour and became something special during the encore. Nobody should have one complaint about last night. 10 out of 10 for U2 standards.

Highlights:
(I cant really remember pre-encore too clearly, thank god for the great recording of this show that is out already)
Adam starts WOWY in its set list spot, even though Bono had asked for Out of Control. Edge doesnt even have a guitar for this at this time. End of OOC Larry starts the end drumming, then just as Bono thinks the song is ending, Larry throws in some more to make Bono the one sitting there not knowing whats next, since he had just done it to them at the start of the song.
Bono does it to Edge again when he decides he wants OOTS.
The whole encore was spontaneous and if they (Bono) werent deciding what song to play next on the spot, they acted it very well including tuning guitars and playing the wrong notes and starting over. just amazing. BAD, maybe the best Ive ever heard...

FRONT ROW IN FRONT OF EDGE.

FUCKING INCREDIBLE!

I will have a more extended review later. But ... CONCERT OF A LIFETIME!

It appears the party line is that the three Boston shows ranked this way: II, then III, then I. I was at II and III, and I thought II was the better show for all the aforementioned reasons. The synergy between band and crowd is what makes a show great, and Boston II was that in spades. I actually thought the band was just a wee ('wee' = Irish word) bit better, musically, for Boston III than Boston II. But that's an A+++ to an A++, I think observers would agree.

To be sure, Out of Control goes about as far back in the U2 catalogue as possible. That the ENTIRE FLEETCENTER crowd was ready to go to frigging NEPTUNE during that song speaks volumes about what Boston means to U2 (and v.v.). It's a short list of cities that would immediately recognize that song and respond in a like fashion.

Another issue: I'm sure that deep and passionate U2 fans do this: Look around at the audience to see whether 'they're getting it.' Nothing galls me more than to see tickets and seats occupied by 'pseudo-fans' who just had to be there because it was the place to be, and then sit on their hands and/or otherwise exist passively as the concert unfolds. A shame, a true shame. There are LEGIONS of true fans that were on the outside looking in for this WHOLE TOUR, never mind the Boston shows. I feel for them.

Oh well, I guess that whole topic should be explored and hashed out elsewhere. It certainly deserves to be.

Chris in New Hampshire

Last edited:
Great to hear you made it into the ellipse Axver. Bravo. I told the sources (via text or setlist party) to look for a tall albino. Never said to check near the soundboard. Why would you have travelled so far and long to stand in back. Awesome that you made it, and in front of Edge as well. Would love to hear your take on all 3 shows and being de-U2virginized. :applaud:

:wink:

By the way, we did talk about you during the setlist parties. Wondering if you keeled over after 'Out of Control' :lmao:
The 5/26 show went into 4 threads - it was THE party of the first leg. It was insane! :crazy: :drunk: :combust:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom