May 21, Madison Square Garden in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DPrinceNY said:

Also, I didnt notice any empty seats.

There was a guy to the right of me but both seats to the right of him were empty. A girl was sitting next to me but she dissapeared during "vertigo" and never came back :huh:
And woman tell me my cologne smells really good.....

Good point about the weather. The weather was so bad and I got dropped off in Manahattan coming from the Bronx. It took us forever, and I got dropped off at 9:05. Not being familiar with the time difference at MSG, I was so pissed thinking I would miss the COBL opening, which is the greatest.

But got there right before they came on :wink:

As for the reviews on this forum, I think a lot of fans are enjoying the shows but what better place than a u2 fan site to express what they might do different if they were the band? I think while some people are being too critical, some people are taking it too seriously.

Could I think of a couple things I would change about the tour? Ya.
I love the setlist but why does BTBS have to be played every night?
the light curtains are amazing, but the guy walking during "sometimes" looks awful, it couldn't look a little more real?
Put some eyes on him at least?

These are so little things, overall the shows have been incredible. It would be hard to find a bunch of people that were louder than me at the garden last saturday. And it was my first show with no alcohol consumption :wink:

Listening to the bootleg of 5/9 which was my first show on the tour, the band is in top form. I've been to a lot of rock concerts, and the philly 5/14 show (which I rate the lowest of my 4) would still rate higher than anything else I've seen.

Last edited:
u252105front.jpg

Not to toot my own horn, but I think I(and Zory, apparently), may just have been at what will end up being the best show of the entire first leg. ;D It was a great, great show.

We got there at about 8:30, in time to see KOL. They were ok, lots of energy, but I still envy the European crowds since they're getting the Killers and Keane. So KOL got done probably around 9, the whole show was running a little late, and then began the wait. After nearly 30 minutes, the production of the band entering the stage began.

You don't truely understand the brilliance of COBL as an opener until you've experienced it in the flesh. It's dark as the 'Everyone, Everyone' chant booms over the loudspeaker as the sillouhettes of the band emerge and the place, finally being appeased after waiting for 30 minutes for the band to appear, goes crazy. Slowly but surely COBL starts and you could visibly see Edge with his foot in position to fall on the guitar pedal and the rest of him in position to strike the first guitar notes when the time came. The crowd collectively holds their breath, all eyes on Edge. Finally, he begins playing that melody and the whole place just goes nuts as the light show begins.

Other highlights:

The crowd involvement at this show was just unbelievable. The first chorus of the first performance of Vertigo, 20,000 people screaming 'Hello, Hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo' , was simply the loudest sound I've ever heard, closely followed by the same moment in the reprise of Vertigo, closely followed by 20,000 people screaming 'It's a beautiful daaaaay' in unison.

Elevation is better this tour than last. The band doesn't really kick in until the third verse, and it works really well that way.

Bono said 'I love this place' early in the show, referring to MSG and NYC, and had various references to NYC again throughout the show. You could tell the band loves playing there.

Speaking of which, Edge was doing some funky stuff with his guitar during BD right before the 'see the world' bridge. Really fucking great-sounding techy computer-ish sounds. Edge is fucking on fire this tour. He owns it. He just tore it up on LAPOE, The Fly, The Electric Co., BD, ABOY, and of course Bullet The Blue Sky - just to name a few. The whole trilogy of LAPOE-SBS-Bullet was just something to behold.

LAPOE just fucking rocks live. My brother(who was with me) said it was a song he was never crazy about and I couldn't believe it(it's my favorite song from HTDAAB). Between the building-shaking bassline, Bono and Larry singing the chorus together, and Edge ripping everything to shreds, it was one hell of a rocker.

SBS was the best performance of that song I've heard from the band, not counting the Edge Karoke versions from Popmart, since the Lovetown tour. This really is one of the most iconic songs in the entire U2 catalog.

I found Bullet to be quite captivating...I think the snippets of Hands and When Johnny Comes Marching are perfect choices for the song, as are Bono's theatrics where the handband is concerned, and I applaud the dropping of the monologue, not because I dislike it(I love it) but because it shows that band is still not afraid to try new things with their live performances.

Red screens or not, Where The Streets Have No Name is U2's Stairway. It is the best song they have ever written. When you hear it live(this was the second time I've done so), you know that. There is no such thing as a bad performance of Streets, but nontheless, this was an AMAZING performance of it.

The holding of up of the phones is a thing of beauty. The 21st-Century lighter....although a lot of people had actual lighters too. :p

The Achtung trilogy of songs(ZS, The Fly, and MW) was just tremendous. Achtung = Perfect. The Fly might be my favorite U2 song ever. Edge owned this song. It is definitely better this tour than the slowed down versions last tour.

Original Of The Species is a gorgeous, gorgeous song, and when heard live, it because painfully obvious how much Lillywhite butchered it in the studio. Thankfully, Bono said in a recent interview that if OOTS is released a single, which it likely will, it will be remixed to have just keyboards, vocals, drums, and bass, like the live version. I had been hoping and hoping and hoping that they would play this song at MSG and I am SO happy that they did. It was one of the most beautiful melodies they have ever written and they improved 1000000X live....also, I think the live performances of it have a Radiohead-esque-ness to them as far as the keyboard sound goes.

I'm not sure, but I THINK Bono may have attempted 'the scream' during ABOY.

Yahweh also improved 1000000X live. The acoustic version kills the studio version - it is much more similar to the Alternate Version found in the ITunes Complete U2 than the album version. The part where all four of them were standing lined up next to each other at the front of the elipse at the end of Yahweh and Edge singing the climactic melody was one of the greatest moments of the show. You could REALLY feel the connection between band and crowd in that moment.

Until you've experienced the reprise of Vertigo in person, don't diss it. Just massive, massive amounts of energy. I was sweating profusely when we walked out of the garden into the rain.

As for non-performance stuff....

The light shows during the songs were beyond amazing. Just incredible, and adding a whole new dimension to the show.

Everyone knows that NYC and Boston are where U2 are the most in their element in this country. This was no exception. The band and the crowd were one(no pun intended) this night.

So, to sum up...the best rock band in the world in the greatest sporting/concert arena in the world + Edge owning the tour = great great great show. Like I said, possibly the best show of the entire first leg. ;D The only complaint I have is about the band ignoring Zooropa and Pop this tour(so far anyway), but hey, they can only play so many songs in one show.

Was a great show - all songs rocked and bono's vocals were fantastic!! loved every second of it.

U2... you are legands!

As posted on u2-vertigo-tour.com (great website!)

2005-05-25 - New York, New York

Here we are now in the Madison Square Garden: After the splendid and more than fitting opening with "City Of Blinding Lights" (see also my review on 05/17/05) it's time for the excellent rocking "Vertigo" - as the night before with a snippet by Bono, but a different one: The singer shouts out "Rockaway Beach" and so pays tribute to one of U2's early heroes, "The Ramones" - a punk band having tragically lost now nearly all of their members, but forever on our minds. Another staple highlight in the current setlist follows: The interaction between Bono, Larry and the crowd singing along only the Edge's guitar to "Elevation", until the whole band joins in and gets the groove. As in East Rutherford's 1st night a whole bunch of tunes from BOY follows, that hasn't been played for decades: "The Cry", "The Electric Co." and "An Cat Dubh" with its coda "Into The Heart". Having said that, it is not the same performance: Bono talks about the early gigs of U2 in town to intrduce this brilliant stuff - and he can explain that way, why the band has decided to chose this material, they feel so conected with. And this emotional relation shows in the way, the band plays the tunes: an even superior version than in the Meadowlands. Highlights are the snippets "Send In The Clowns" and "I Can See For Miles" in one of the best versions of "The Electric Co." ever and a great "Into the Heart". Then - as the two nights before - Bono decides to link the rousing "Beautiful Day" with The Beatles' "Blackbird" showing the singer's deep feelings and concerns for the rights of coloured people. The very impressive bunch of "Miracle Drug", "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", "Love And Peace Or Else" follows. Being in great mood the oncoming track, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is another musical triumph: The crowd sings as loud as possible, letting Bono and Edge be soulful and improvising the words in other melodies, enriching the often heard and played tune enormously. "Bullet The Blue Sky" sees apart from the "usual" snippets "The Hands That Built America" and "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" a reference to the city itself: "New York, New York". The following "Running To Stand Still" and its "Hallelujah" coda has the finest and longest harp intro of the gigs in the NYC area - and a beautiful audience's choir, that could bring to tears. After the "Human Rights" interference, the three topic songs "Pride (In The Name Of Love)", "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "One" follow - tunes, that are played very inspired, with Bono talking about his current engagement for Africa and against extreme poverty. Then ACHTUNG BABY goes on: The ex-tour opener "Zoo Station" returning to U2's setlists, "The Fly" with a great band jam in the outro, a short full band cover version of "Jean Genie" as a tribute to David Bowie being in the house tonight and one of the Greatest Hits, "Mysterious Ways". Then Bono requests for the new "Original Of The Species" - and this time U2 deliver a really wonderful, intense version of this song. The last encore sees the return of the rocking, tambourine driven "All Because Of You" followed by the prayer like "Yahweh", its chorus sung by everybody in the audience. And then? Neither '40' nor "Bad", but a hard rocking, cut short and nailed "Vertigo" - wow!
A very personal note at the end: These three shows in East Rutherford and New York City belong to the very best, I've ever heard U2 play. It's so great to see the band interacting so close, having fun being onstage - and playing songs, they haven't performed for decades, Greatest Hits and the excellent new tracks. Enjoy and thank you, U2!

Did anyone else hear the boos in MSG?

U2 Madison Square Garden
21 May 2005

The anticipation built steadily from the end of the Kings of Leon set through to the opening notes of City of Blinding Lights. This was going to be a special night...

But something strange crept into this gig. A note of discord. While the opening articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights were scrolled on the video screens before Pride, one concertgoer behind me was heard to shout, "It's because Americans died, asshole". Now, there is no legislating for the brain dead at any concert, but this particular individual's contribution demonstrated that devotion to U2 and to Bono's various causes has its limits in post 9-11 America.

One should perhaps not dwell on the logic of the concert goer linking the Universal Declaration of Human Rights with the death of Americans, however it can surely be no co-incidence that the above rant (and a few boos) were heard when Article 5 of the Declaration appeared on the screens. Article 5 states that "no one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Perhaps the disgruntled concertgoers sensed some implicit criticism of the US military’s breaches of article 5 in Abu Ghraib jail.

I wondered afterwards whether Bono sensed this would be a sensitive moment and is that why, perhaps, this deeply religious man [and, I thought, pacifist] inexplicably dedicated 'Running to Stand Still' to the "brave men and women of the American military". Was Bono buttering up the audience for the implicit criticism that would follow in dedicating a beautiful song to an army that has shown scant regard for the human rights of anyone other than its own soldiers?

Bono also got carried away describing his faith in the ability of the three major faiths to co-exist, talking about ‘Abraham’s Sons’. There is no doubt that those of us unsure about our faith and those of us of no faith feel desperately uncomfortable when Bono starts to pontificate in this fashion. We preferred it when he took himself less seriously in the Achtung Baby days.

The music, as always, was superb and this was an emotional occasion. ‘Where the Streets Have No Name’ still brings a tear to the eye and the full-on spotlights accompanying the final verse remain so apt.

And yet, for the first time in the 20 years since my first U2 gig, I came away from a U2 concert strangely deflated. I love this band and their music. They provided the soundtrack to my youth and the inspiration to make the most of my talents. They remain the greatest rock band in the world, yet their message has become confused. Not simply to me, but to the meatballs in the audience who think that the Declaration of Human Rights is somehow a threat to America.

How sad.

Last edited:
The anticipation built steadily from the end of the Kings of Leon set through to the opening notes of City of Blinding Lights. This was going to be a special night...

But something strange crept into this gig. A note of discord. While the opening articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights were scrolled on the video screens before Pride, one concertgoer behind me was heard to shout, "It's because Americans died, asshole". Now, there is no legislating for the brain dead at any concert, but this particular individual's contribution demonstrated that devotion to U2 and to Bono's various causes has its limits in post 9-11 America.

One should perhaps not dwell on the logic of the concert goer linking the Universal Declaration of Human Rights with the death of Americans, however it can surely be no co-incidence that the above rant (and a few boos) were heard when Article 5 of the Declaration appeared on the screens. Article 5 states that "no one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Perhaps the disgruntled concertgoers sensed some implicit criticism of the US military’s breaches of article 5 in Abu Ghraib jail.

I wondered afterwards whether Bono sensed this would be a sensitive moment and is that why, perhaps, this deeply religious man [and, I thought, pacifist] inexplicably dedicated 'Running to Stand Still' to the "brave men and women of the American military". Was Bono buttering up the audience for the implicit criticism that would follow in dedicating a beautiful song to an army that has shown scant regard for the human rights of anyone other than its own soldiers?

Bono also got carried away describing his faith in the ability of the three major faiths to co-exist, talking about ‘Abraham’s Sons’. There is no doubt that those of us unsure about our faith and those of us of no faith feel desperately uncomfortable when Bono starts to pontificate in this fashion. We preferred it when he took himself less seriously in the Achtung Baby days.

The music, as always, was superb and this was an emotional occasion. ‘Where the Streets Have No Name’ still brings a tear to the eye and the full-on spotlights accompanying the final verse remain so apt.

And yet, for the first time in the 20 years since my first U2 gig, I came away from a U2 concert strangely deflated. I love this band and their music. They provided the soundtrack to my youth and the inspiration to make the most of my talents. They remain the greatest rock band in the world, yet their message has become confused. Not simply to me, but to the meatballs in the audience who think that the Declaration of Human Rights is somehow a threat to America.

How sad.

It seems trite, but U2 really does idealize America as the land of opportunity, and they hold America to the highest standards. That's why they subject it to the harshest criticism ("Bullet The Blue Sky") and lavish upon it the highest praise ("Heartland", "Angel Of Harlem", etc).

namkcuR said:

Original Of The Species is a gorgeous, gorgeous song, and when heard live, it because painfully obvious how much Lillywhite butchered it in the studio. Thankfully, Bono said in a recent interview that if OOTS is released a single, which it likely will, it will be remixed to have just keyboards, vocals, drums, and bass, like the live version. I had been hoping and hoping and hoping that they would play this song at MSG and I am SO happy that they did. It was one of the most beautiful melodies they have ever written and they improved 1000000X live....also, I think the live performances of it have a Radiohead-esque-ness to them as far as the keyboard sound goes.

Didn't Bono dedicated this song to his godchild (or at least one of them) who has his/her birthday?
Maybe it was Hollies birthday (Edge's oldest daughter, who the song was originally written for) . :cute:

5/21 was great... the band was really enjoying themselves, and the crowd was on fire... unfortunatly a few things held it back from being a special show... it was great, don't get me wrong... if this was the only show i saw, i would probably think it was the most amazing thing i'd ever seen... but seeing as i already knew some of the tricks and the setlist... it was still great, but not one of those all time performances that they tend to give when comming to MSG.

having to pack everything up and get back to philly for a show the very next day deffinetly held the show back. there was no extended encore, which most expected considering it was their only show at MSG. they saved the extended encores for Jersey it seems.

also, being the only show at MSG, they probably felt the pressure to be great... so they played a normal setlist, without taking any chances that could end in a fuck up. with so many celebs, industry types and press in the house, they probably felt the need to put their best setlist forward and not risk anything... much like the first two chicago shows when they were preparing for the DVD.

we've seen over and over again that the band is much looser and much more willing to take chances when they play back to back nights in the same venue... we saw it in the last 2 chicago shows, we saw it in jersey, and we're seeing it in boston... i imagine we'll see it again at MSG come the fall... when they can relax and not have to nail every show. if they take a chance and fuck up, they do have 6 more to fix it.

and a last note on the MSG show... city of blinding lights? best version yet... the goosebumps were in full effect hearing that song in the building where the chorus was written...

would've liked to see 40 close out the show instead of another vertigo... but eh... it happens.

I don't know..I think its ridiculous to think that the band or Bono should hold back...Bono's political views are and always have been closely tied in with his spiritual views. I don't think he should hold back just because some fans might be 'uncomfortable'....its not like they don't know before hand what they are getting into....

this is coming from the country that when bono done his white flag waving antics loved every minute of it?, the country that when bono used to do his prank phone calls to whitehouse and expressed his opinions used to love it?, and now this is the country that without any probs or phone calls, just bono himself airing his opinions some people are calling after him?

how very very sad

What is saddest, is how we make 'the few' so powerful by focusing all attention on them. Why are so many willing to label all people by the actions/opinions of 'the few'. Why do so many let the bastards grind us down?

jay canseco said:
What is saddest, is how we make 'the few' so powerful by focusing all attention on them. Why are so many willing to label all people by the actions/opinions of 'the few'. Why do so many let the bastards grind us down?
oh dont get me wrong, its the same in every country, there is just a small minority who are very very short sighted,

will be the same here, will be the same everywhere else

jay canseco said:

Jay, I agree. And I don't mean to diss the audience at MSG. For me personally, the evening was ruined by a few meatballs with a twisted sense of patriotism. Months of anticipation and excitement seemed to dissipate when I saw the anger in that heckler's face.

But he was one of the few. And I will hopefully erase the memory with a return visit to NYC in the Fall.

I wondered afterwards whether Bono sensed this would be a sensitive moment and is that why, perhaps, this deeply religious man [and, I thought, pacifist] inexplicably dedicated 'Running to Stand Still' to the "brave men and women of the American military".

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it again here:

This idea of relating RTSS to soldiers was introduced to Bono by Jerry Mele (Chief of Security during ZooTV). Mele grew up in NY and served in Vietnam. He came home from the war with a drinking problem and a drug habit (yes, RTSS is about drugs). He broke his habit by tying himself to a bed and telling his mother not to untie him, no matter how much he begged or screamed. This story inspired Bono to tie BTBS and RTSS together. If you've seen the Sydney ZooTV show, then you know that Bono wore a military uniform while performing these 2 songs. It is a very powerful tribute. Once the Vietnam war was over and the military had gotten what they wanted from these young men, they discarded them and sent them back home with PTSD and drug habits. Each night of the Vertigo tour, Bono is dedicating RTSS to those individuals who will serve their country only to be used and then forgotten. Bono is considering the individual lives of service men and women here, not the US military as a whole. U2 tend to suffer alot from misinterpretation, and this is just one more example of where most people don't get the point b/c Bono doesn't explain it in concert.

Last edited:
Can someone that knows the garden give me a hand? I'm trying to scrounge up some tickets for one of the October shows. I've got a line on some tickets in section 112 ( row B ) and the guy is trying to convince me it is better than the sections at the other end of the arena ( like say like 229 - 234 for example ). Is that true? Just worried about not being able to see much. I can tell from the seating chart 112 is close but it's kind of on the back corner of the stage. Any local knowledge or help would be appreciated.

kalkid said:
Can someone that knows the garden give me a hand? I'm trying to scrounge up some tickets for one of the October shows. I've got a line on some tickets in section 112 ( row B ) and the guy is trying to convince me it is better than the sections at the other end of the arena ( like say like 229 - 234 for example ). Is that true? Just worried about not being able to see much. I can tell from the seating chart 112 is close but it's kind of on the back corner of the stage. Any local knowledge or help would be appreciated.

depends on your personal preference... 112 is obviously much closer to the stage, but you will miss out on some of the lighting effects because of the location behind the stage. if that doesn't bother you, by all means... go for the ones in 112.

the other end of the arena is obviously not as close to the stage as the 100 section, but you get to take in the entire stage show, lighting and all. plus the tip of the ellipse stretches out almost to the middle of the floor, so you're not that far away.

the garden's relatively small for an 18,000 seat arena... there aren't really any bad views. so it really depends on what you want.

and whatever tickets you don't take, drop me a line and i'll take the others :wink:

Back
Top Bottom