May 18, Continental Airlines Center in East Rutherford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NJ2 Show 4 guys took over the stage w Bono's help..5-18.

and sang a song?

News just came in in from the arena.

Bono helped the 4 men sing ISHFWILF, and they played instruments too.

Please post about that.

db9

Last edited:
Yup, the Bank Robbers. Awesome surprise. I just got back from the show (and I'm still deaf in the left ear for some reason). Check it out on atu2.com

there were 3 of them .... adam played bass , , , they dind't want to leave and the guitarist and larry went into a really fast rock version of ISHFWILF

IMHO, the Bank Robbers sucked. BUT, I give them and U2 kudos for having the kahonay's to do what they did.

FYI, ISHWILF was not the classic chiming guitar version, rather it was distortion guitar heavy. Bono tried to hurry the guys off the stage after the second verse and chorus, but they kept playing! :ohmy: Eventually, they (with Bono) completed the third verse, and it was over soon thereafter. The BR's guitarist had a much better voice than the lead singer.

As to the show itself, I thought it was very good. Being as objective as possible (I was in the ellipse tonight), NJ1 beat NJ2. It just seemed that the crowd was louder for NJ1, which forced U2 to play two extra songs (OOTS and Vertigo reprised). If you saw their facial expressions during NJ1, you know that U2 was blown away by how the crowd was responding. NJ2 did not elicit that same kinda "wow" response from U2.

I will admit though that it appeared that Bono and The Edge considered playing OOTS after MW (like NJ1), but Bono changed his mind when he came back to the mic. Maybe The Edge convinced Bono to save the song for MSG? :shrug:

With that said, the show (NJ2) and the ellipse experience were amazing. Gloria? Bad? The Ocean? Luv it! I still have ringing in my right ear. :wink: Hopefully, there are a couple of wrinkles for the show on Saturday. :drool:

If someone can help me with you send it links, I have tons of clips (video) from NJ1 and NJ2, including the U2/BR's performance.

Last edited:
so will the headline in tomorrrow's Jersey's papers be something like..

When Love came To Jersey THE BANK ROBBERS STOLE THE SHOW ?:wink:

db9

i posted a video clip of the bank robbers in the fan experience and tour photos section ... check it out!!

MTEdge said:

If someone can help me with you send it links, I have tons of clips (video) from NJ1 and NJ2, including the U2/BR's performance.

crap... i've no clue how to use YSI, but i would LOVE to see your clips- especially from NJ1!!! i hope someone can help you out... thanks for offering to post them! :up:

somebody help the lassie:)

NJ Elevation, thx interesting fun stuff.
Bono seemed to be having a good time w them.

db9

Last edited:
just go to you send it.com (one word), then upload the file, then it will give you a link for your download

copy and past the line here, but change the you send it part to ysi so that it will show up alright

diamond said:
somebody help the lassie:)

NJ Elevation, thx interesting fun stuff.
Bono seemed to be having a good time w them.

db9

yeah thanks ... i wish it was better quality but my camera stinks ...im sure someone will post a better version, at least you can see a great U2 moment for what its worth :wink:

Yeah, the Bank Robbers were not shy at all. They were hamming it up, the guitarist got right in front of Larry and the two of them were "staring eachother down". and that is when Larry stepped it up and busted into a heavy fast/punk version of ISHFWILF. Was quite a scene.

Although I am sitting at my desk with a throbbing head this morning, it was all worth it. The show last night was excellent.

I was concerned at first because the scene in the parking lot was incredibly low-key. However, once inside, the crowd was awesome, singing every word to every song the entire night. I was surprised to see COBL as the opener for a second night in a row, especially since they will probably play it again on Saturday. I have to admit though, they could have put together a better set. It was almost as if you could predict which song was coming next if you had listened to any of the shows from the tour thus far. Also, BITBS and RTSS should be retired. The entire arena took a collective piss at that point of the show.

Otherwise, it was great to hear the songs everyone loves. Before last night, I hated Yahweh, but it sounded really nice live. Great that they played WTSHNN, and the Bankrobbers were funny. They were flipping out up there, as I am sure anyone would have. Also, Bad as a closing song was awesome. I was glad they played nothing after that because it was a great way to finish up.

All in all though, it was an awesome show, but not the best I have been to. I am going again on Saturday at MSG and I think they may have saved a little something for that.

Last edited:
haha,yeah, after the 2nd verse larry wanted to end the song as did bono, but the guitarist was like no, started down or talked to larry and larry had these really fast drums for the third verse, it was odd but cool.

their voices sucked, thank god bono was singing with them most of the time. it was pretty cool nonetheless. pretty freakin cool.

then to end with bad, much better way to end than 40. its cool to have 40 snippeted at the end of it,though.

'twas a cool, eventful last two songs. :up:

Hey everyone, here are my thoughts on the show last night (my first one for this tour).

I arrived at Continental Airlines Arena very early. As I head into the parking lot, the car in front of me has a license plate "One Tree Hill"......I thought, "I guess I'm in the right spot":wink:

I'm blasting Hawkmoon 269 and I hear just about every other U2 tune from blasting from the cars of the tailgaters. The parking lot was in full on party mode. I shut off my tunes and listened to the random U2 songs blaring throughout the parking lot (Dodging people, frisbees, BBQs, and footballs). I realize I am in my own personal heaven....sun shining, people enjoying U2, my kind of tribe.

I watch Kings of Leon. I'm not quite sure if I liked them or not. They are a lot heavier than I thought they would be, and I liked that. The singer just kind of howled and shouted for 45 minutes. But musically, they were aggressive and fun.

U2 takes the stage and rip into COBL, complete w/ confettti raining down onto the stage. Very cool visual. Overall, the stage and lighting were excellent. It was just the right amount w/o being a distraction, yet still providing that dizzying feeling.

Vertigo - brought the house down. Lots of fan interaction, I can see this song played for many years to come. People just lost their minds to it. It was obvious, the band loves to play this song.

Elevation - I didn't think I would like the version w/o drums/bass for the first part of it. I was wrong. Once again, great fan participation. It was refreshing to see Larry sing along w/o a mic, just singing and enjoying himself....He can be too serious sometimes.:wink:

Gloria - Bono said "this song is off of out first album, no, wait, our second album".:lol: . I've waited many years to hear this song and I was not disappointed. bass and guitar solos:drool:

The Ocean - yes people did get up and grab a beer or bathroom break. However, it was a very pretty version. Lyrics were changed to incorporate "The Jersey Shore" and "The Atlantic Ocean"

Beautiful Day - sounded fresh still and everyone loved it

Miracle Drug - dedicated to a friend of the bands' sick infant. Bono also praised doctors and nurses (especially nurses because they don't get paid enough). Edge's part ruled !

Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own - very touching, and Bono did a pretty good job of hitting the notes he wanted.

Love and Peace or Else - Tore the roof off the place, just like I knew it would. If Bono has back pain, he certainly didn't show it. He was a mad man.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - IMHO, has lost a bit of it's magic and should be retired. However, it got the biggest "pop" from the crowd. They ate it up.

Bullet the Blue Sky - Same story as SBS, but even the crowd wasn't as into it as it was say circa 1988 or 1992 for that matter.

Running to Stand Still - Was suprisingly georgous, complete w/ Edge on piano and Bono w/ harmonica. Sounded soooo good it hurt !!

Pride - big crowd reaction. Was fun to just look around the arena and take it all in.

Streets - nothing tops when the lights go up and see 20,000 people having the time of their lives.

One - still sounds great. Bono's speech at the beginning was a bit all over the place but the song itself was wonderful.

Zoo Station - Bono in police hat and doing his ZooTv military march around the cat walk. Mostly just the die hards went crazy and the casual fan wasn't quite as entertained.

The Fly - blew my mind. I'll never get tired of that song. Edge went fucking bananas in this song. He was dancing and just ripping the guitar to shreads. It sounded like an angry man letting out all of his frustrations through musical notes.

Mysterious Ways - great crowd reaction. Bono brought up a girl to dance, she seemed a bit nervous or whatever as she really didn't "get into it".

All Beacsue of You - AWESOME live. Edge is a madman. He has never sounded better. Killer version.

Yahweh - Accoustic w/ Larry on keyboards was fantastic. It blows the album version away. So heartfelt and stunningly beautiful. A real highlight for me.

ISHFWILF - Um, don't even know where to begin. Long story short, Bono brought up 3 YOUNG guys (maybe early 20s), to play a song w/ them. Turns out to be ISHFWILF. These guys were not bashful, singing into same mic w/ Bono, playing distorted guitar version, hamming it up w/ the crowd. They called themselves the Bank Robbers. Larry went to a much quicker pace to keep up w/ them and the song turned into a punk version :ohmy: The Bank Robbers didn't want to leave the stage. It was quite a scene.

Bad - AMAZING version, I thought this song might be growing stale as well, however, it rawked !! People were dancing in the aisles, even new fans were grooving with it and the band gave it 110%. The 40 snippet at the end was great. Of course I'd prefer the full version, but I couldn't complain at all.

Random Thoughts:

Bono back pain.....What back pain??

:wink:

Edge is in his prime. He is loving being out there, he's dancing, and is playing the guitar like a man possessed.

Adam's smile never left his face.

Larry was singing along, playing keboards etc. His drumming for Streets and Bad were outstanding. If his back or wrists are still bothering him, it did not show one iota. He was king last night.

I love this band and I loved this show. I'll see them again in October at MSG.

Thanks for reading.

The Bankrobbers(from behind the stage where I was it sounded like Bono said The Bank Brothers) were truly awful. It was "fun" and all, but I'd have preferred another U2 song. Less Bono speeches and Bankrobbers and more music please.

Zoo Station into The Fly was the best part of the night for me. Next was Gloria>The Ocean and Running To Stand Still(a definite highlight).
The new stuff is hit or miss live. I liked the acoustic Yahweh and COBL but I thought Love and Peace or Else was pretty bad. It's just not a great song to begin with.
I, too, would like to see them mix it up a bit. Bullet , Pride and Elevation could easily be retired w/out any backlash. They should dig deeper into the October/War/Unforgettable Fire albums. There are so many great songs gathering dust.

Overall, a fun show. Bono's voice held up well. The sound was surprisingly good for Continental Airlines Arena. The Edge was superb as always.

Oh and let me add that for Mysterious Ways, Bono changed the line towards the end of the song "She Moves w/ it" and changed it to "He's Handsome"....as he was huggin Adam Clayton. I thought that was rather funny.

This was Show #3 for me, and by far the best... they didn't screw up noticeably at all, Bono's voice sounded great, and the songs had an edge to them that was missing during my first two shows. It probably was the Jersey crowd that made it special, Philly's crowd came close, Chicago I's wasn't in the same stratosphere. Plus they played Gloria and I Still... which wasn't bad at all, even though it was a bit confusing at the end where Bono kept thanking the Bankrobbers. Ending with Bad/40 simply blew me away, I was completely surprised. I also got my chills that were lacking the first two times. Awesome, awesome, awesome.:wink: Bono also cracked a lot more jokes and was much more involved with the audience.

The Bankrobbers

It was fun to see the Bankrobbers get up there because every person in the audience was jealous, but how the hell did they get to go up there? It was obvious that it was arranged that they would be up there since Bono knew the name of the band.

Also, I really thought the one with red hair was a girl.

Chizip said:
just go to you send it.com (one word), then upload the file, then it will give you a link for your download

copy and past the line here, but change the you send it part to ysi so that it will show up alright

Thanks, Chiz. I'll spend a good deal time of time tonight uploading. :wink:

*Ally* said:

i would LOVE to see your clips- especially from NJ1!!! i hope someone can help you out... thanks for offering to post them! :up:

I'll aim to please. :wink:

BTW, congrats on graduating law school today. Welcome to the field! :macdevil: :angel: :wink:

One more thing to add (as the fog is slowly lifting), During ABOY, Bono did the scream right before the guitar solo.

Back
Top Bottom