May 10, United Center in Chicago - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:10 AM
May 10, United Center in Chicago

Please post your reviews of the May 10th show here.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Just got back from this one. I really should get to sleep, but damn I'm on such a high right now. I was up in the seats for this one (will be in GA on Thu), straight behind the band, so it was a unique experience. Though we were in the back, we were only about six rows up, so everything felt close.

Bono pulled that kid up after Into The Heart, he looked a little frightened by his experience, but that's going to be a great memory for him. Also it was Bono's birthday, so the crowd was chanting and Bono uncorked some champagne with the girl who came up and played Party Girl. That was pretty cool as well.

Overall I really liked Vertigo (they played it twice, kind of odd, but cool), Elevation still rocks, LAPOE, and SBS is always emotional--especially the "No More!!!" part. I wish we had gotten 40 though, and The Fly isn't quite as good as the version from the Elevation tour, but I can't complain.

The band sounded incredible as always, but I wish Bono had a bit more of the energy to run around the place like he did during Elevation. Seeing him do that gave me chills, and still does when I watch the Elevation: Boston DVD. But frankly I'm splitting hairs. The band still has it, and that was an incredible performance overall. I cannot wait to get onto the floor on Thursday and experience it from up close.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Just got back...WHAT A FREAKIN GOOD SHOW!!! MY first experience in GA ever, and it was crazy great times, let me tell ya. They crowd was rockin all throughout the show, and had the most energy at the very end for Vertigo pt 2. What a great time i had, one i will never ever forget. Way to be Chitown!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Refugee

What was really cool was the crown chanting HAP-PY-BIRTH-DAY, (clap clap clap-clap-clap) in soccer chant style. I thin kit really caught the b-man by suprise. Plus, Laura, a huge u2 fan in chicago, member if U2 Midwest, played Party Girl with the band. What an honor to get up there with rock legends. You will all see someday on the dvd just how great tonights show was.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
Refugee

This was a great show. Look forward to the DVD.

Hello,

Well, it was an awesome show for me. Showed up around 10 this morning and got 178 written on the wrist.

Quick Bono story. Went over to see them arrive and when he got there he took pics/talked/signed things on both sides of the entrance then came over to a fence. I was over there, where we asked him abou tthe setlist. In true Bono fashion he explained how other bands just do a bunch of individual songs, and that in his band they try to do a bunch of songs which become one song. That they try to tell a storythroughout the whole show. When pressed, he said that they would mix the set list up on the third leg. Also quick note, Party Girl, as we have been calling her was over in that line where she talked to Bono before the show. This is probably where the Party Girl thing was put together for tonight.

Also, met another Interferencer, who wouldn't say her name - pretty funny I thought, but she shared a story about how Bono kissed her in Seattle, and she got sick afterwards.

Random note, definately got my ticket signed. Gotta start that scrapbook thing one of these days.

Before the show there was a guy coming around filming for the DVD. Sang Happy Birthday to Bono and Vertigo, what seems like 1000 times. LOL Keeping the fingers crossed for making the DVD.

Anyways, back to the show.

While the setlist didn't vary a ton, it was an awesome show. I was 2 back from the rail on Adam's side. This was a great spot, as him and Bono spent a decent amount of time out there.

Oh, I saw the set-list that the camera crew was carrying around, the show was scheduled to end

All Because of You
Yahweh

But was put away with for the ending you all now know. I really thought they were going to come out again to play Yahweh and 40. This was my only disappointment of the night. But not worth even writing about.

Hmmmm, what else. Called and let Mike listen in for a bunch of songs, hope that worked.

Also met Hamish (sp?) - the DVD director, he was wandering around after KOL. Someone needs to help them write better conclusions to there songs. lol

Oh ya, one other thing. The girl standing next to me in line most of the day also met Bono earlier and made a sign with her name on it. At the end of the show when Bono jumped into the crowd, he jumped in right over her, and my new buddy I met in line Imran. Anyways, Bono read her sign saying "Hello Pansy". (This is her name, and I stood next to her all day, and she brought me my lunch from KFC.

Ummm, I will probably think of more things, just wanted to get some stories up.

I will be going back Thursday.

Also, I was supposed to have someone meet me to buy my extra tix that I had before getting Ga's, and she never showed up. As I was entering the venue I gave the ticket away to a guy to see if he could find someone that would want a free ticket. If you ended up getting it, I would love to hear your story. It was for section 324, Row 12, seat 5.

Good night. It was great for me.

James
Old 05-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by mofo82
Plus, Laura, a huge u2 fan in chicago, member if U2 Midwest, played Party Girl with the band. What an honor to get up there with rock legends.
she's Stories for Boys on interference.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #7
Babyface

Local Time: 02:10 PM
There is something about rookie concert goers that can make a show soooo unenjoyable. Was in GA tonite, for the first time ever and the amount of drunk, obnoxious people is unreal. We were behind the ellipse on Edge's side and things were great until a group of about eight 6 foot-somethings, obviously hopped up on some serious drugs and claiming to be looking for their friends, barged through the crowd and stood in front of everyone blocking any kind of view for those of us who had been standing in that area for quite a while. Then their 'wanna-be hippie' and nasty groping with their girlfriends started and it was all elbows and lit cigarettes inches from the faces of everyone standing around them. It was just so frustrating because they really ruined the mood and were really, really aggravating everyone around them. Countless times, people standing around them asked them (asked them nicely) to just watch it because they were getting a little too crazy. We opted to move way to the back and finally made our way to the middle, behind the camera-man were there was a much more enjoyable crowd of people.
There just seems to be a whole new breed of concert-goers these days that are creating a bad atmosphere. I like to have a good time, and I know everyone else likes to have fun of course, but theres a dividing line between fun and obnoxious. It just sucks that people can't be cool and that fights have to break out and everyone has to act like they are soooo tough. Even though being in the seats is more restricting, I have have enjoyed past U2 shows WAY more in the nose bleeds than in GA. It almost seems that if you aren't in the ellipse or 7 feet tall you're not going to see to much of the show at all! Being on flat ground I know thats to be expected, but after all the comotion and drugged up idiots I don't think I would chance it with the GA tickets ever again, unfortunately. Great show and great sound though
Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #8
The Fly

Thought the show was awesome! Got in the GA line at a little before/after 1030. Was number 184 (still have the number on my wrist) Waited for a long time. Eventually went over to where Bono was pulling in. He was signing autographs and taking pictures etc. I stuck my hand through the fence, he shook it and looked me dead in the eye (he's very personal with his fans) and said "hi sweetheart" Almost died.
Eventually got in line. And yes! I won entrance into the elipse. And since me and my dad were there so early, we were able to get right in front. I didn't have anyone behind me. I was hanging over the banister. It was AWESOME.
The show was great. They had a lot of energy. Everyone was bouncing around and having a great time. It was incredible. Beautiful Day was great. An Cat Dubh he was doing these sexy cat moves The Achtung Baby songs were so full of energy. Where The Streets Have No Name. GA was jumping around the whole time. It was great.

Anyone going to see a U2 show should really look forward to it. It was defianetly an incredible show. Wish I could see it again.
...besides when it's on DVD
Old 05-11-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Babyface

Maybe I was expecting far far too much, but I was a bit disappointed in Tuesday's show. From the folks that have seen the other two Chicago shows, though, it sounds like Tuesday's may have been the best one so far. I was in row 6 of sect 334 (about even with the far edge of the ellipse). Not too bad, really...

I kinda think knowing the setlists ahead of time (or knowing what has been played at the other shows) had an impact because it set an expectation...rightly or wrongly...

I knew "Bad" was in and out (I never get tired of hearing it live), but I was really looking forward to the Yahweh / "40" close.

I remember being absolutely blown away by "40" in Hartford CT 1985 (Unforgettable Fire)...I couldn't stop telling my wife how awesome it would be (20,000 people singing as everyone is leaving the stadium)...then Vertigo II? I wonder why they are doing that...

But..."Where the Streets Have No Name" was incredible, "Beautiful Day" was played a bit different I thought, especially the first couple verses, nice to have "SBS" rocking again, and COBL was unreal and awesome and a great opening. The "Cry / Electric Co / An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart" sequence was as good as expected, although it was funny seeing some people looking at each other going "what the heck are they playing?" Ditto "Party Girl", which was of course pretty cool too...I wonder if the 5 member band for Party Girl approach will stick for the rest of this leg?

So anyone got spares for Thursday (heh heh heh heh)?
Old 05-11-2005, 06:59 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: This was a great show. Look forward to the DVD.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamescorymiko

Also, met another Interferencer, who wouldn't say her name - pretty funny I thought, but she shared a story about how Bono kissed her in Seattle, and she got sick afterwards.

James

James,

that's ruffian here.

that's probably the girl.

she's really nice.

she's very chatty and bono was struck w her the times he's met her, i witnessed their first meeting.
he recognizes her now each time they meet, he even knows her occupation as well as Hamish.

i well let her tell her stories her way if she likes.

db9
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #11
Refugee

BINGO

Yey that was her. While we were waiting in line people were pushing to get closer to Bono, let her come in front of me and kept others out as best I could. Nice gal, got a shirt signed for a charity she is associated with.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

yep that's our girl.

db9
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #13
Refugee

Wondering if I could get some advice. Due to work/school constraints, I won't be able to get to the GA line on Thu until like 4:30. How far back do you guys think that'll put me on the floor? For Elevation, I showed up around 2:00 the first time, then around 12:30 the second time and had a great spot each time. I'm just a bit worried about showing up later though.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:30 AM   #14
Babyface

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Chicago 3 was a great show indeed...but...2 Vertigo's??? Of all the songs they could wrap up with they play a song twice! I guess I had too much anticipation for '40'. Do you think this had anything to do with the video production? Do think Hamish got into Bono's earpiece with a "Can you give me another 'take' on Vertigo. We didn't quite get it the 1st time." Would love to see a little discussion on this.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #15
Refugee

Wonderful show performance from the band tonight. Partly, I am sure, due to the taping...but the emotion was there for them. Edge was shredding, Bono the most Bono-esque...Larry was all business (the way we are used to him!!) and Adam was posh. This was a surprise trip to Chicago for my wife and our first anniversary, and we were lucky to be in the ellipse. The ellipse continues to be lame (crowd wise...) but we still had the time of our lives rocking out regardless.

Highlights:

City of Blinding Lights - Probably twice or three times the amount of confetti fell tonight. There will be some amazing flying crane and inside the ellipse shots of this. I am a audio professional, and kind of get a kick out of watching the production of things...this DVD will be great.

Vertigo Part 1 - Great energy, Bono opens by saying "More people in Chicago speak Irish than Spanish...Uno Dos Tres Catorce!" Added the Stories for Boys snippet...

Elevation - They really have perfected this tease-the-crowd act. When it kicks in, it gets the biggest reaction so far on the night from the ellipse crowd.

Electric Co. - The Edge is really into this one tonight, goes up on the ellipse for part of it. Tons of trademark Edge moves.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - Great performance, pets Adam, brings up a 10 year old (I guess) who sits beside him with his feet dangling off the inside of the ellilpse as he sings Into the Heart...of a child. He is obviously excited, terrified, shy, and every other thing a 10 year old would feel like. Bono leads him by the heart to the other side of the ellipse. The kid manages a shy smile and bit of a wave to the crowd and is placed back into the crowd. The crowd eats it up.

Beautiful Day - This is the biggest crowd pleaser. Lots of cool lighting effects using the United Center's house installations.

New Years Day - The two day songs back to back. Great crowd reaction, strong version. Getting a bit old, but a classic.

Miracle Drug - One of my very favorite set moments and performances, but a 1/3 of the ellipse files out for bathroom breaks and beer runs. Their loss.

Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own - Bono holds a boxing pose on the ellipse as he sings the first verses...great performance, climaxes the song on the tip of the ellipse facing the camera cranes at the back.

Love and Peace or Else - Standard version, Larry has in ear monitor problems at first, and doesn't seem to be into it for this night. Bono brutalizes the drum for him.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Great crowd pleaser, Bono sings "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage..." in an obvious tribute to Chicago band Smashing Pumpkins. I was left wondering if Billy Corgan was in attendance.

Streets (skipped a few songs...as they were standard) - Good intro, scripted...but there will be amazing crane shots for this one...swopping in and out over the crowd.

Zoo Station - New to me video footage on the screen. A slot machine effect featuring faces from Bill Clinton, George W, Sadaam Hussein, Michael Jackson...and the ZOO BABY! The song is kicked off by him yelling MAMA!!!! over and over...classic. New lighting style for this song. Edge and Bono on opposite sides of the ellipse with orange light and smoke around them. The hat is on for Bono.

Party Girl - Strong full band version, graced by fan on guitar trying to keep up with the Edge. She receives a bottle of Korbel for her efforts, and the other gets sprayed into the ellipse and on Edge. Bono is obviously enjoying himself at this point. Dedicates it to Jordan.

All Because of You - Strongest performance of this I have seen.

Original of the Species - Brilliant, Bono says "its the best song off of the record" He might be right. Edge on Piano, it is dedicated to Bono's daughter JoJo, who was obviously in attendance as he pointed to her in the VIP area in front of the sound desk.

BEST PART OF SHOW:

Bono says (I paraphrase) "Here's a change of a different sort...Encore is italian...essentially means you repeat the best part of the performance again...this ones for me!...UNO DOS TRES CATORCE!!" The crowd goes ballistic!! For those that doubt the playing of this song twice, don't...it is a way better ending than the standard Yahweh (YAWN) and 40.

The house lights don't come up for a very long time. Most fans think they are coming back to do 40, but I am sure they were doing a runner as they most likely had a very expensive party to go to somewhere.

GREAT SHOW, GREAT CITY...bad ellipse...will be GREAT DVD.

Thanks Chicago...we love you.